Options

Witness the [Movie] Thread! It lives! It dies! It lives again!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Not that I'm endorsing bringing young kids to mature movies, but Fury Road is barely even a true R, content wise.

There is only one or two scenes, one of which you will literally miss if you blink, that might have edged it over and even that's debatable.

I love the way he shoots violence, in that it focuses on the impact, not the gore
    by framing certain shots in a certain way, truly horrific things maintain their impact but don't linger or rely on gore. The shot where the grandma gets her neck sliced feels awful, but you don't really see anything. When the chainsaw guy on the pole gets shot by Furiosa with an explosive bolt you see a flash of ribs and open guts, then it immediately shows a behind framing and you see the silluete of falling entrails. It's disturbing and violent but also satisfying and stays reserved, serving a purpose as retribution against the dude that hurt the granny in the scene just prior

Also the most truly violent thing in the movie is the Valkyrie sliding buck naked vagina first down a rough rope

Prohass on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Prohass wrote: »
    Not that I'm endorsing bringing young kids to mature movies, but Fury Road is barely even a true R, content wise.

There is only one or two scenes, one of which you will literally miss if you blink, that might have edged it over and even that's debatable.

I love the way he shoots violence, in that it focuses on the impact, not the gore
    by framing certain shots in a certain way, truly horrific things maintain their impact but don't linger or rely on gore. The shot where the grandma gets her neck sliced feels awful, but you don't really see anything. When the chainsaw guy on the pole gets shot by Furiosa with an explosive bolt you see a flash of ribs and open guts, then it immediately shows a behind framing and you see the silluete of falling entrails. It's disturbing and violent but also satisfying and reserved and serves a purposes of retribution against the granny.

Also the most truly violent thing in the movie is the Valkyrie sliding buck naked vagina first down a rough rope

The rope scene had me cringing so hard.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I saw Snakes on a Plane in middle school with my father and best friend at the time. My first R rated movie in theaters. My best friend sat between us.

The highlight of the film in my memory wasn't so much the scene, but seeing my father lean forward past my friend to stare at me during the sex scene towards the beginning. With no words he pretty much said, "I brought you here for this?" as snakes were biting things that snakes should definitely not bite.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Snakes on a Plane is criminally underrated.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    My dad always took me to horror films in theaters and watched them with me on VHS and soon after DVD. It's my favorite genre now and we still always bond over it.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

by framing certain shots in a certain way, truly horrific things maintain their impact but don't linger or rely on gore. The shot where the grandma gets her neck sliced feels awful, but you don't really see anything. When the chainsaw guy on the pole gets shot by Furiosa with an explosive bolt you see a flash of ribs and open guts, then it immediately shows a behind framing and you see the silluete of falling entrails. It's disturbing and violent but also satisfying and reserved and serves a purposes of retribution against the granny.

The rope scene had my cringing so hard.
    I thought it looked like she had a chunk of leather or something between her thighs and the rope

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Speaking of the Doof Wagon, I love how
    the guitar music synched up with the blind guitarist, stopping and starting when he was fumbling due to Max fighting on the vehicle.

There are several scenes where the audience hears what the character hears. Like when
    Furiosa shoots the rifle next to Max's head, there's a high pitched whine as if a gun had gone off next to the audiences' ears. When Max gets knocked down by the crossbow bolt, the sound cuts out.

That seems to be the intent of the scene where Furiosa had learned about how the Green Place is gone and she walks away, drops her prosthetic arm, kneels, and screams. The sound becomes faded and you don't hear the scream. The implication was that the revelation shocked her so much that it numbed all her senses and the world became much more distant to her.
    You can hear her scream, but only just.

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    My dad always took me to horror films in theaters and watched them with me on VHS and soon after DVD. It's my favorite genre now and we still always bond over it.

My dad lead me through all of the classic Frankenstein movies and finished them up with Young Frankenstein. Nowadays I am leading him through the Marvel movies. Dad movie bonding is the fucking best.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

The rope scene had my cringing so hard.
    I thought it looked like she had a chunk of leather or something between her thighs and the rope

Yeah
    on my second viewing I realised she's not actually sliding, but getting lowered.

The first time I saw it the entire cinema was like WHAAAAT OUCH NO WAY

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Snakes on a Plane is criminally underrated.
    Nah it is rated exactly as well as it should be

It was a dumb cheesy horror movie that tried to lean too hard into being a dumb cheesy horror movie and suffered as a result

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Like, regardless of what I thought about this, I would still totally go see a Furiosa film

All accounts point to you being in luck!

http://www.theqandapodcast.com/2015/05/mad-max-fury-road-george-miller-q.html
    We’ve got one screenplay [for the second film] and a novella [for the third]. It happened because with the delays [on 'Fury Road'], and writing all the backstories, they just expanded. [The second one] is called ‘The Wasteland.’ ‘Mad Max: The Wasteland.’

What was it called before "The Wasteland"?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Sequel-Ready-Go-66488.html
    Mad Max: Furiosa

http://twitchfilm.com/2010/07/george-miller-working-on-not-one-but-two-new-mad-max-films.html
    Twitch has just learned that George Miller is working on not one but TWO new Mad Max films, the duo slated to be shot back to back. The title already known to the public is Mad Max: Fury Road and word is that Fury Road will be followed immediately by Mad Max: Furiosa. The two films will reportedly be shot back to back for rapid release.

It lived, it died, it lives again.

That link says 2010 and mentions Fury Road hasn't even been shot yet

Yes, the plan was to shoot Fury Road and Furiosa back to back, so Furiosa was conceived along with Fury Road. However, they ran into a lot of problems and were only able to shoot Fury Road. Now that Fury Road is out, they're planning to make the Furiosa film.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    In the 8th grade my father took me to Hollywood Video, picked up A Clockwork Orange and said to me, "I think its about that time."

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Like, regardless of what I thought about this, I would still totally go see a Furiosa film

We’ve got one screenplay [for the second film] and a novella [for the third]. It happened because with the delays [on 'Fury Road'], and writing all the backstories, they just expanded. [The second one] is called ‘The Wasteland.’ ‘Mad Max: The Wasteland.’

http://twitchfilm.com/2010/07/george-miller-working-on-not-one-but-two-new-mad-max-films.html
    Twitch has just learned that George Miller is working on not one but TWO new Mad Max films, the duo slated to be shot back to back. The title already known to the public is Mad Max: Fury Road and word is that Fury Road will be followed immediately by Mad Max: Furiosa. The two films will reportedly be shot back to back for rapid release.

Yes, the plan was to shoot Fury Road and Furiosa back to back, so Furiosa was conceived along with Fury Road. However, they ran into a lot of problems and were only able to shoot Fury Road. Now that Fury Road is out, they're planning to make the Furiosa film.
    That

Isn't what that says at all

In fact Miller said the sequel is now The Wasteland, not Furiosa

Like I said before, chances are Fury Road and Furiosa ended up being made into one movie judging from how huge of a part Furiosa ended up being

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The more I think about Tomorrowland, the less I like it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The first R-rated film I ever saw was The Matrix on home video, I must have been somewhere around 15-16?

The first R-rated film I saw in theaters was Kill Bill vol. 1. It was an unofficial field trip for the high school film studies class, haha.

• Options
    I think my first R-Rated movie was....Anaconda?

Which fuels my life long fears of both snakes and Jon Voight

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My first R-rated film is likely Terminator 2 at the young age of 5.

I handled it pretty well.

Jurassic Park though? I pissed myself in terror when I saw that in the theaters.

• Options
    I was an even bigger wuss as a child than I am now and Jurassic Park should have scared the shit out of me but luckily I was too enraptured by DINOSAURS YO to notice it being frightening

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Wasn't Anaconda PG-13?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Movie thread!

I have my town house to myself.

I have some bourbon & vodka.

What should I watch?

• Options
    The Matrix was rated R?

• Options
    The Matrix was rated R?

Oh yeah.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Movie thread!

What should I watch?

Speed Racer

• Options
    Movie thread!

What should I watch?

Speed Racer

Fuck...

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I was an even bigger wuss as a child than I am now and Jurassic Park should have scared the shit out of me but luckily I was too enraptured by DINOSAURS YO to notice it being frightening

You're lucky, I had nightmares about raptors for years after I watched that movie.

• Options
    The Matrix was rated R?

Oh yeah.

But... why?

I'm positive when it came out here in Australia it was only M, which would be American PG-13, so that makes no sense.

Did you guys get some super secret unedited high violence version or what

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

You're lucky, I had nightmares about raptors for years after I watched that movie.

Clever girl.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    The Matrix was rated R?

Oh yeah.

But... why?

I'm positive when it came out here in Australia it was only M, which would be American PG-13, so that makes no sense.

No it is actually kind of baffling

The only reason I can think of is Neo being naked when he wakes up in the real world

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Matrix was rated R?

Oh yeah.

But... why?

I don't know!?!

Neo gets executed by bullets straight to his chest via point blank positioning?

Could that do it?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The Matrix was rated R?

Oh yeah.

But... why?

I dunno if it got edited for Australia, but if nothing else I would guess the lobby shootout would be enough to get an R rating

There isn't really any blood I guess, but that's a lot of violence against what are essentially civilians, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was enough for the rating board

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Charlize Theron was actually the one who suggested Furiosa's hairstyle (or lack thereof):
    I had to look night-and-day different from the innocent young girls, and I was thinking for a long time the best way to do that. Finally I called George at three in the morning and said ‘I have to shave my head.’ I loved it but everyone hated me because it defined the look for the War Boys and all the stunt people. We had these huge, hardened stuntmen whining, ‘I don’t wanna shave my head.’

• Options
    The Matrix was rated R?

Oh yeah.

But... why?

http://whatculture.com/film/8-tame-movies-unfairly-given-an-r-rating.php
    The general feeling is that The Matrix got an R not for its infrequent use of blood, but the sheer amount of bullets fired, given the implication that this reflects extreme violence, when the film in fact better resembles a video game.

• Options
    Houk wrote: »
    The Matrix was rated R?

Oh yeah.

But... why?

I dunno if it got edited for Australia, but if nothing else I would guess the lobby shootout would be enough to get an R rating

There isn't really any blood I guess, but that's a lot of violence against what are essentially civilians, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was enough for the rating board
    Naaaaaaaaaaah

There are all kinds of PG-13 action movies with way more violent scenes, even ones with civilians involved

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    That's actually kind of surprising, I figured it was the other way around. There was a whole skeleton thing going for them, and I don't think it would have played nearly as well if they'd all had different hairstyles.

• Options
    The Matrix was rated R?

Oh yeah.

But... why?

The general feeling is that The Matrix got an R not for its infrequent use of blood, but the sheer amount of bullets fired, given the implication that this reflects extreme violence, when the film in fact better resembles a video game.

I don't know why I'm finding this so funny but I do

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    The first R-rated film I ever saw was The Matrix on home video, I must have been somewhere around 15-16?

The first R-rated film I saw in theaters was Kill Bill vol. 1. It was an unofficial field trip for the high school film studies class, haha.

I think I musta been like 14 when I saw the Matrix, it was at a summer course thing where ostensibly we were learning autoCAD but what ended up happening was we kids would do exercises in the first twenty minutes or so and then spend the rest of the time on newgrounds or stickdeath or making our own animations in paint shop pro

whoever the instructor was didn't give a shit so the last day we all just decided to put on a movie

First R movie I saw in theaters would've been either Snakes on a Plane or Children of Men

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

That

Isn't what that says at all

In fact Miller said the sequel is now The Wasteland, not Furiosa

Like I said before, chances are Fury Road and Furiosa ended up being made into one movie judging from how huge of a part Furiosa ended up being

Plus the whole "link in 2010 when both things I linked are far more recent, including the 'Wasteland name change' one which was literally this month" part
    The Matrix was rated R?

Oh yeah.

But... why?

I'm always surprised by ratings. Matrix getting R, Jaws getting PG, Blue Is The Warmest Color getting NC17

• Options
    I think that also reflects the political attitude towards video games at the time.

• Options
    Speed Racer it is!

• Options
    Basically, the MPAA is super dumb

The ratings system isn't

But the MPAA is

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.