Options

[chat]wave

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    also re: my chinese buffet approach- my racist uncle would always criticize my choice because he's like, don't get bulk shit like noodles and rice. that's cheap for them to make.

and i'm like, but i enjoy those things...

to which he responds yeah but then the restaurant's getting off easy, you need to get your money's worth

lol

my dad used to react like this when I put ice in my fountain soda

dad, i don't give a shit if this reduces the value proposal of my 7-11 soda by 10 cents, we live in a desert hellhole and it's 110 degrees outside, i want some fucking ice in my beverage

I care very deeply about whether there is ice in my soda

every cube is a theft from what is rightfully mine

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Is there anything better than fried rice? Probably but I don't want to hear about it.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I hate it when people complain about the prices of dining/drinking out because they just don't know shit and yet they open their mouths

or if you talk to them and say like, well, there's the price of buying, let's say the beer, from the brewery. There's the cost of maintaining the beer tanks, the taps, the glasses, the washing machine, renting the place you're drinking the beer in, the cleaning lady who comes in and cleans your filth, the wages for the bartenders, the wages for me, the wages for the accountant, new lightbulbs, soap, fucking toilet paper. All that has to be covered by the price of the beer you drink.

"well why should I pay for that" oh fuck off and get out

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    sea bugs are overrated

i agree but I have learned to love oysters in recent years

I know they are not bugs but I kind of lumped them in that gross category for a while but I was mistaken

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    What I don't get about the McRib is like why wouldn't you just make a pulled pork sandwich?

I mean it could come pre-cooked, you could microwave it in a package and put it on a bun. Hell, I'm sure they could make a little six-pan of coleslaw and have it on their cold table to dress the sandwich, they already make a passable barbecue sauce they could put in their sauce (caulking) guns, and pickles and onions on there. Hell, since it could all be prepared in a central location, you could actually smoke it and make it fucking taste good.

But no, instead pretend you're doing us a solid serving the kind of pressed pork thing I had in cafeteria lunches every once in a while, and do nothing exciting with it.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    Is there anything better than fried rice? Probably but I don't want to hear about it.

Oh well I was gonna say something but

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    you don't have to buy it, you can buy your £2 cider from sainsbury's...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    sea bugs are overrated

i agree but I have learned to love oysters in recent years

I know they are not bugs but I kind of lumped them in that gross category for a while but I was mistaken

in your oysters, do you prefer diced shallots & red wine vinegar, or white pepper & lemon?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

general tsos chicken atop fried rice

• Options
    i generally can see the value in any dining experience

tapas are still hard for me to swallow financially, tho

I think feeling kind of ripped off by the ridiculous prices some tapas places charge is okay and doesn't make you a HOW MANY CALORIES PER CENT AM I GETTING monster

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    when I was in the hospital and my phone died I watched like and eight hour marathon of the Kardashians. I've never seen the show before. I don't know how to feel.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    you don't have to buy it, you can buy your £2 cider from sainsbury's...

and you can sit at home, and be bored

or you can go to a bar, and fucking pay what it takes to run a bar

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »

No, please, it was all bluster!

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    is it just me or is master of none kinda bad

the show's style and vibe are direct lifts from the 60s-70s director John Cassavetes, who was basically the founder of the independent film movement in the US, and who made a bunch of movies that are highly regarded by film fans using unconventional (and budget-saving) techniques

the stories tend to be collections of scenes grouped by a theme, like you're just dropping in on some random dude's life for a little while rather than seeing how a particular thread begins and develops and concludes. you've got long, long scenes of people sitting around talking, and the camera and direction go to a lot of effort to kind of be present as observers rather than generating or ramping up any artificial sense of tension or excitement. the camera never calls attention to itself with flashy moves and often avoids getting the best-composed, best-lit shot in favor of getting a shot that looks like you're eavesdropping on the scene. the conversations ebb and flow and we get shown the natural silences, the unfinished thoughts, and other stuff that tends to be not included in most TV/film. there's humor, but the scene never really ends on a joke or a laugh line - you see everyone kind of respond (or not respond) to the funny thing that someone said, and then there's silence, and then the scene ends - because it's not about making you the audience member laugh so much as it's about depicting a moment in time where someone happened to make a joke. the show uses real locations - some interiors are sets, but some clearly aren't, and there's a lot of location and outdoor work - and amateur actors or non-actors to fill out a lot of the supporting parts (this is something Cassavetes was particularly known for and a few other indie directors have done as well for both practical and aesthetic reasons).

the idea here is to try and strip away all the artifice that we're used to from mainstream storytelling. not just by telling stories that don't really have A-B-C plots but by eschewing a lot of the technical aspects that camera operators, editors, and even actors and writers bring to most projects to try and generate and maintain maximum levels of excitement. like, most actors would rather look witty and deliver rapid-fire dialogue than kind of stumble over their own words, and a lot of actor training goes into making unnatural things (like constantly having a sharp, perfectly-delivered reply ready to go) seem effortless, and things done in this style ask them to dial that back and get back to the reality of how people actually sound when you really listen to them in private moments. the goal is to kind of reconnect us, the audience, with what actual talk sounds like and what the rhythms of real life feel like.

and that's definitely not going to be for everybody. it's kind of like a bucket of cold water - it can be exhilarating but the sheer strangeness of it, the very ascetic, Spartan presentation, can also be alienating.

@Dread Pirate Arbuthnot

this explains a lot

im on episode 3 so im deffo giving it a chane

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    also re: my chinese buffet approach- my racist uncle would always criticize my choice because he's like, don't get bulk shit like noodles and rice. that's cheap for them to make.

and i'm like, but i enjoy those things...

to which he responds yeah but then the restaurant's getting off easy, you need to get your money's worth

lol

There's a sushi buffet I go to sometimes. There's always a guy standing by the empty snow crab leg area, waiting. As soon as the legs come out, he takes like, 20 of them. Not because they're good. They're not. They are disgusting. They are z-grade frozen seafood. But they're nevertheless the most expensive item for the restaurant to buy. And that guy is getting his money's worth, enjoyment and good sense be damned!

I will never understand this attitude.

I really don't get a lot of people's attitudes when it comes to dining out.

But the idea of a "great value" is so laughable. Americans especially are bad about this, but I see it in tourists from other countries. You spend $X and you expect to get a certain amount of item Y and if you feel you haven't gotten as much as you want you bitch about how expensive things are. You know what goes into pricing something? The labor cost of making it, the labor cost of serving it, some cost of keeping the joint open and the bills paid. If you want it for cheaper fucking make it yourself at home.

Obviously "you" being the hypothetical customer I'm attempting not to strangle.

I have this argument a lot when it comes to "labour rate" with regard to vehicle body repair (in the UK, this is typically £35-65 per hour).

It astonishes me that so many people interpret it as the amount the technician is being paid per hour.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    [chat]: go read it

my headcanon of sen. rubio will now feature the Raiders of the Lost Ark as background music

I am regretful after reading these questions, probably because their intended recipients will never hear them and be obliged to give them consideration, however fleeting

• Options
    tapas is expensive because making a small dish is only very slightly cheaper than making a larger dish, and you're getting tons of dishes

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    cass i don't want to put your business out there but i'm now avg'ing 3-5 james joyce-ian letters to you a week with nary a response

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    is it just me or is master of none kinda bad

I can see why people would like it, but I don't identify with basically anything in that show.

I guess it's just not for me.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

There was a place when I was a student that did all you can eat tapas for ten quid per person

It was still expensive, but eight little dishes felt like less of a waste of money than three.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    As for Jacob and Chinese buffet, I always do this

- first plate: nothing but vegetarian spring rolls and crab rangoon. rolls go in hot mustard (I love how that shit clears my sinuses), rangoon goes into the sweet and sour sauce.
    - next up: a bowl of hot and sour soup
    - second plate: white rice, sweet and sour chicken, general tso's chicken, steamed veggies
    - third (small) plate: a ziggurat of fried rice
    - final: ice cream from the inevitable soft serve machine

• Options
    ok episode 2 of master of none is winning me over

• Options
    Feral and SIG once had me record a James Joyce love letter for misc voiceover fun.

That was the hardest thing I ever had to do, god damn James Joyce, you so nasty.

• Options
    jacob that is a fascinating marriage of my two favorite pyramids: maslow's and the usda's

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    What I don't get about the McRib is like why wouldn't you just make a pulled pork sandwich?

I mean it could come pre-cooked, you could microwave it in a package and put it on a bun. Hell, I'm sure they could make a little six-pan of coleslaw and have it on their cold table to dress the sandwich, they already make a passable barbecue sauce they could put in their sauce (caulking) guns, and pickles and onions on there. Hell, since it could all be prepared in a central location, you could actually smoke it and make it fucking taste good.

But no, instead pretend you're doing us a solid serving the kind of pressed pork thing I had in cafeteria lunches every once in a while, and do nothing exciting with it.

You might sell that in the Carolinas but the rest of America would reject it. The McRib is mainstream and reliable, your delicious sandwich idea isn't.

• Options
    speaking of tapas I really need to remember to request tapas next time I go home, for the holidays

making tapas at home we just go nuts with the various small tasty low-prep stuff we can buy. And if we're all four of us we can prep a lot of stuff easily while still being a super easy thing to make for each of us.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Sorry Gim but now the thought is gone.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Main dealerships that usually only do service trying to do body repair and charging £95 per hour can get fucked, though.

I'm looking at you, BMW, with your "seven hours labour plus parts to replace a rear screen".

• Options

Sorry Gim but now the thought is gone.

UD1KDpc.jpg

• Options
    aziz's dad is officially the cutest human being i've ever seen, surpassing both my niece isabella and the old guy from up

• Options
    edited November 2015
    https://youtu.be/K5gJVgIZgYQ

watch this 48 second trailer for a pay-what-you-want game
    My grandfather's plane was reported lost in 1960 during the Algeria Independence War, days before the birth of his first child.

This is what I like to think happened to him.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I haven't been to a Chinese buffet in ages.

Possibly because all the places around here seem really sketchy.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

Actually, tapas falls into the category where I can understand the bitching about them.

The actual original concept was that they were meant to be served as small items you got while drinking and were included in the cost of your drink. The idea being that you would make something really good and it would get people to come back for booze they could get just about anywhere, and also to keep your customers for getting shitfaced on port. Nicer things were on offer, and you had to pay for them but like hey here's some sardines with olives and a little bread to go with that round of drinks you just bought for free.

When multiple places started mimicking this strategy, suddenly customers realized they could drink and eat their way down the streets. Thus tapas culture is born. Nowadays most places charge something for things outside of the most basic offerings, but its not much outside of premium stuff like caviar and foie gras.

As with most things Americans tried to import the concept without really understanding it. The better way to accomplish this would have been having the idea of every drink on your menu being paired with some small food item. Keep the portions down, maybe bump up the cost of the drink slightly over what it would cost to get by itself. Boom.

Or better yet just make a regular fucking restaurant and offer small plates and people will naturally do the tapas idea on their own.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

If you lay a crucifix on an unproven Christian, does it leave a burn mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqkaBEWPH18

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

If you lay a crucifix on an unproven Christian, does it leave a burn mark?

it's a d8 damage per priest level of the character performing the test

• Options
    aziz's dad is officially the cutest human being i've ever seen, surpassing both my niece isabella and the old guy from up
    My dad took off most of his vacation time for the year to act in Master of None. So I'm really relieved this all worked out. Tonight after we did Colbert together he said: "This is all fun and I liked acting in the show, but I really just did it so I could spend more time with you."

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I hate it when people complain about the prices of dining/drinking out because they just don't know shit and yet they open their mouths

or if you talk to them and say like, well, there's the price of buying, let's say the beer, from the brewery. There's the cost of maintaining the beer tanks, the taps, the glasses, the washing machine, renting the place you're drinking the beer in, the cleaning lady who comes in and cleans your filth, the wages for the bartenders, the wages for me, the wages for the accountant, new lightbulbs, soap, fucking toilet paper. All that has to be covered by the price of the beer you drink.

"well why should I pay for that" oh fuck off and get out

On top of that ideally the restaurant should make some money. Not just for profits sake, but also to have money to cover any of the equipment needing repairs or replacing. Or hiring on more staff, or trying to expand the business. And yeah, also to make some money because its not a fucking charity.

As I explained to a really belligerent customer once, eating at a restaurant or drinking at a bar are not rights. Those are privileges, and you have to pay for them. Oh, you think it's bullshit that the Buds cost $2.75 when you can get them for a dollar at the store? Then go to the fucking store, buy the fucking beer, take it back to your hovel and drink it there. We're not here to make your drinking budget come together, we're here to make some god damn money.

• Options
    i don't think i've ever heard someone complain that they have to pay above wholesale for food or drink

This discussion has been closed.