As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Anybody have any suggestions on some simple to play game similar to Fallout Shelter? Something where I can log-in, build stuff, and log out within like 10 minutes. Tiny Tower was great too. I also played a bit of the star wars one and that was fun too. Anything new? Fallout Shelter is starting to get a bit boring for me to play (110 People, stats are all maxed, etc).

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Anybody have any suggestions on some simple to play game similar to Fallout Shelter? Something where I can log-in, build stuff, and log out within like 10 minutes. Tiny Tower was great too. I also played a bit of the star wars one and that was fun too. Anything new? Fallout Shelter is starting to get a bit boring for me to play (110 People, stats are all maxed, etc).
    The Simpsons Tapped Out is kinda like that, I guess, but I wouldn't call it "good" necessarily. Definitely a Skinner box (pun not intended) to be sure, and a couple of the special holiday events were neat, but oh boy the monetization in that game. It was okay until I started seeing the hooks at every tap.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

It's not at all similar but LYNE is hundreds of puzzles where the solution takes 5 seconds once you have it but can stump you for 5 minutes. Easy pick-up-and-play

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, Whoever started the WANG Uprising Cartel... (Name is Jane Darksun). Is there a way to pass on leadership since you havent been playing? I'm not sure if you have any kind of controls as guild leader but I think that may be important soon. For instance, can you change which planet the daily cartel opportunity is based on?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The Kairosoft games are fun simple sims. They don't actually use the "game continues offline" model, you just play until you've had enough. Build up shops for your heroes to buy stuff, heroes use said stuff to beat up weapons. Or build a really synergentic sushi restaurant. (except the pirate one, that one is their experiment with in app purchases and at the tail end of it, it becomes an unbelievable grind.)

For some reason or another they haven't put anything out in English since may though.
    azith28 wrote: »
    Hey guys, Whoever started the WANG Uprising Cartel... (Name is Jane Darksun). Is there a way to pass on leadership since you havent been playing? I'm not sure if you have any kind of controls as guild leader but I think that may be important soon. For instance, can you change which planet the daily cartel opportunity is based on?

@jdarksun

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yup, lemme know who you want to give it to. Forgot about it during the last phone purge, need to redownload.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Does anyone still play Marvel Puzzle Quest on Android, and has room in their alliance?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    oh thanks. Cool, i changed the focus of the daily opportunities to Bespin since it seems they are about to unlock it.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    All right, well the Star Wars "Uprising" game keeps on turning its notifications back on. That is a no-no in my book, so I am no longer playing it. Just a heads up folks, if you hate that sort of thing.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I haven't had a good phone in a long time; I have been settling for basic smartphones. Consequently, I've stayed away from Android gaming. But I just signed up for Project Fi and will be getting my Nexus 5X towards the end of the week. What are the best Android games I have missed from lately or the last couple years?

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Hmm. I've heard good things about Around the World in 80 Days? I don't own it so I can't tell you much. Soda Dungeon came out a few days ago and it's a weirdly addictive RPG idle go-into-dungeons-forever game. Neko Atsume just got an English release if you want a super-chill 'oh look there is a cat' game. I'm sure other people have better ideas.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    @Rius It helps if we know what kind of games you enjoy.

I'll add The Banner Saga if you like SRPG.
    Kingdom Rush(three iterations) if you like Tower Defense.
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP if you like Metroidvania.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sorcery! is a good RPG that spins a decent yarn.
    Final Fantasy Record Keeper if you want to drown yourself in nostalgia.
    You Must Build A Boat for all your match three needs.
    Threes is a great puzzle game.
    Lifeline is a great choose your own adventure book style of game, but you're choosing someone else's path, along with all the risks that entails.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I second Sorcery!. It's a Create-You-Own-Adventure style RPG that is text heavy with an awesome rewind mechanic.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Layton Brothers: Mystery Room was great and of course there is Monument Valley for your eye candy and great puzzles.

Especially Monument Valley is like the Portal of mobile games for me. It is just so superbly excecuted.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Deep Dungeons of Doom seems cool, though I haven't played much yet. It says it has in-app purchases, but they removed them from the latest version. Buy once and play normally.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Soda Dungeon came out a few days ago and it's a weirdly addictive RPG idle go-into-dungeons-forever game.
    I just started "playing" this over the weekend, which is another way of saying that my phone started playing this over the weekend, and I just occasionally give it a nudge. "Go on, buddy, farm some more fake money for me."

I'm kind of conflicted on this. I've done my share of grinding in RPGs, so there's a certain pleasure in having a game that automates it. It's like having someone else run the Skinner box for you. On the other hand, if I'm barely interacting with this game, why even bother "playing" it? (Answer, for now: Because I'm curious to see what options become available for purchase at the higher levels.)

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Soda Dungeon came out a few days ago and it's a weirdly addictive RPG idle go-into-dungeons-forever game.
    I just started "playing" this over the weekend, which is another way of saying that my phone started playing this over the weekend, and I just occasionally give it a nudge. "Go on, buddy, farm some more fake money for me."

I'm kind of conflicted on this. I've done my share of grinding in RPGs, so there's a certain pleasure in having a game that automates it. It's like having someone else run the Skinner box for you. On the other hand, if I'm barely interacting with this game, why even bother "playing" it? (Answer, for now: Because I'm curious to see what options become available for purchase at the higher levels.)

Idle/Incremental games are my go-to for time wasters. Seeing numbers rise and me micro-managing everything gives me a good feeling inside.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    RPG things: did they not create a mobile version of Phantasy Star? Or am I confusing my memories with Phantasy Star Online?

@urahonky I think I've said this to you before, but Puzzle & Dragons is easy to just get into and play when you have free time, then leave behind. It's got the added "luxury" of having a pretty deep metagame. Same goes for Terra Battle.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    RPG things: did they not create a mobile version of Phantasy Star? Or am I confusing my memories with Phantasy Star Online?

@urahonky I think I've said this to you before, but Puzzle & Dragons is easy to just get into and play when you have free time, then leave behind. It's got the added "luxury" of having a pretty deep metagame. Same goes for Terra Battle.

Yeah I'm actually in the middle of playing P&D again. I'm quite enjoying it.

I actually stopped playing Terra Battle a while ago (probably over a year now) and will probably pick it back up once P&D and/or FF:RK slow down for me.

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I did forget to mention what I like to play, but I will say that Kingdom Rush, Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery (?) EP, Sorcery! (noticing a theme here, I think) and Monument Valley (whatever this is) all sound pretty neat.

Is there a really good action RPG available? Something diablo-esque with loot and bosses and such?

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions! I did forget to mention what I like to play, but I will say that Kingdom Rush, Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery (?) EP, Sorcery! (noticing a theme here, I think) and Monument Valley (whatever this is) all sound pretty neat.

Is there a really good action RPG available? Something diablo-esque with loot and bosses and such?

Iesabel is the closest thing I could find in that vein.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Is there a really good action RPG available?

Check out Wayward Souls. It's really good.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Is there a really good action RPG available?

Check out Wayward Souls. It's really good.

This looks excellent. I love roguelikes, roguelites, roguelike-likes, whatever the hell you want to call them. Anything else like this? Not necessarily more action RPGs, but any really good examples of procedurally generated stuff combined with short individual play sessions. Stuff like Sublevel Zero or Crypt of the Necrodancer on the PC.

Edit: These are the Punch Quest guys! I liked playing that on my tablet.

Rius on
  • Options
    The Card Hunter / Loot & Legends team really needs to get off their asses and make the Android companion to L&L iOS.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Hmm. I've heard good things about Around the World in 80 Days? I don't own it so I can't tell you much. Soda Dungeon came out a few days ago and it's a weirdly addictive RPG idle go-into-dungeons-forever game. Neko Atsume just got an English release if you want a super-chill 'oh look there is a cat' game. I'm sure other people have better ideas.
    80 Days is entirely delightful. When you see it on sale for 5 bucks, buy it.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Don't buy Monument Valley for full price. It's a gorgeous game, but it's like an hour long and incredibly easy.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Don't buy Monument Valley for full price. It's a gorgeous game, but it's like an hour long and incredibly easy.

Free on Amazon Underground. :)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Alternatively, it's not super expensive, and if you like it, supporting the developer is a great way to let them know. If it's good enough for Frank Underwood, it's good enough for me.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

The game isnt intended to be difficult, I think, but to describe it as "incredibly easy" makes it sound like the gameplay is bad. Its not. It works so well.

Ive played through it 3 times, bought the expansion as well. Its just so gorgeous.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    As I play more games like dragon heroes I slowly get better at shmups on a touch device.

Still not really tohou levels for dexterity but games like dragon heroes play well enough that I can enjoy it.

I need a skinnier thumb or something.. Curses.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular

Thank you for this! Soda Dungeon has everything I want in an idle dungeon game: skipping levels, auto-equipping, auto-selling of extra loot, earning interest on my gold offline, and juuuuust enough incentive to pay attention that it's worth keeping an eye on. Oh, and it's free (you can remove ads for like a dollar). And they don't throttle you with IAP, either--all the IAP is optional and I don't feel like I need any of it. Very nice! :)

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    (you can remove ads for like a dollar)
    You can also do it with 1mil of in-game gold, which I did last night (given that my team is earning almost a million gold on a single automated level 1-400 run, it seemed pretty worthwhile).

I'm having a hard time figuring out the optimal party composition, though, and - surprisingly - the subreddit for the game doesn't have an outright "here, just use these five heroes with this equipment" guide.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Speaking of Neko Atsume (if anybody here is giving it a shot), why does every cat present as "no picture" in the Cat Book, even after you take pictures of it? Is there a way to choose a "profile pic" or do you earn one if it keeps visiting?

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular

Speaking of Neko Atsume (if anybody here is giving it a shot), why does every cat present as "no picture" in the Cat Book, even after you take pictures of it? Is there a way to choose a "profile pic" or do you earn one if it keeps visiting?

It is the single greatest game in all the universe.

I will collect all the cats. I will collect all the toys! I will collect all the cat gifts!!!

Look upon me and despair!!!!!

(You have to double click the picture in the album to set it as the profile pic.)

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Kylindra wrote: »
    (you can remove ads for like a dollar)
    You can also do it with 1mil of in-game gold, which I did last night (given that my team is earning almost a million gold on a single automated level 1-400 run, it seemed pretty worthwhile).

I'm having a hard time figuring out the optimal party composition, though, and - surprisingly - the subreddit for the game doesn't have an outright "here, just use these five heroes with this equipment" guide.

The "Optimal Party" seems to vary based on what you're trying to do (go deeper in the dungeon, get essence, GET CA$H MONEY) and how much progress you've made, and also yesterday's update finally nerfed the most broken early-game strategies (forks) so there may be some scrambling.

The first rule is that any party should have a knight at the end because ambushes and traps are BS, and also you stumble onto healing fountains that way. Also, Assassin Dagger should be your weapon of choice for most characters. It's not difficult to reach near 100% critical hit chance with it, and it gives the highest crit damage multiplier of all the regular weapons (This used to be forks, they had +600% damage, which made every other weapon completely worthless)

"General-Purpose" Adventuring
    My go-to party is Healer, Healer, Thief, DarkMage, Knight, in that order. With the way turn order works you want the healers going first (and you need two to keep up or you will start getting your ass kicked), and the Knight needs to stay in the back because while you need that trap/ambush protection for long runs but also the Knight is not very smart and is prone to wasting their turn on the worthless multitarget skill if too many monsters are still alive by then. The Darkmage is because Darkmages kick ass, and the Thief because +20% itemfind is great, and their relic gives a bonus to crit chance and damage. A Conscript also replaces the Thief rather well because while they have one less trinket slot, they get +50% crit damage and that adds up.

Really the third and fourth slots have a fair bit of leeway. You might be able to get away with one Healer but you have to watch them like a hawk because the Healer also isn't very smart and will never ever use his perfectly viable multiheals.

After you unlock Ragezerkers
    Ragezerker, 3x Thief/Conscript, Knight. On their first turn in every fight, a Ragezerker gives one random party member a buff to their attack. This bonus stacks, and persists until you leave the dungeon. Your damage gradually ramps from "decent" to "Holy Shit" and you basically one-shot everything in some sort of hideous violence escalation until the enemies finally outlevel your damage. You don't need a Healer because if the enemy gets a turn, you aren't killing hard enough.

Then you get the Darkmage Relic
    Four Darkmages, one Knight. The Darkmage relic gives them Necroblast, an ungodly powerful single-target attack spell. Basically four Darkmages will completely melt whatever you're fighting. Also, Necroblast derives from the Darkmage's attack and MP and Magic Damage% so relics honk it up way faster than most other skills. Can you stick a Ragezerker in front of this team? Maybe????

Anyway to be clear I generally stick to the first team because I don't know how absurdly high my stats have to get before the other two are viable.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Anyone have any good recommendations for legitimate Strategy/Conquest games that are single player? It's really hard to swim through all the crap in the Play store. The last one I really liked was Tactics Maiden.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Is FF Tactics on mobile yet?

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    It is, already have it and enjoyed it immensely.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods