As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red vs Blue: [Republican Primary] Edition

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Yes

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Actually many neurosurgeons would say that football gets a bad brain injury rap for a sport that has protective headgear

Now football, on the other hand

I do not believe that is the case. Professionals in the neuroscience field have spent a lot of time and effort convincing people that constant harm to the brain is a bad thing.

I could maybe buy that surgeons in particular don't care as much because they're not required to look at the big picture and individual events aren't usually spectacular in the sport.

But both soccer and football have been under a lot of scrutiny for unnecessarily destroying the lives of players due to a policy of ignoring the effects of the sport on the brain.

Soccer? Why, because of headers?

Yup. For real, even seemingly innocuous repeated brain trauma is a real bad thing.

Our brains are super, super not able to heal well or deal with injury well. They're complex organs and they do not like getting smacked.

Football takes precedence because it's often more damaging, but Soccer's a real issue.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm not a doctor, nor have I done any real research into this, but the soccer issue seems like it would be relatively easy to address with either a rule change or some kind of light helmet.

The risk of brain trauma in football is baked inn pretty deep.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    yeah, SFKM has a habit of posting things, not necessarily with an intent to endorse, but to say "this is just how things are". We might wish they were not so, might say that it is wrong that they are so, and some might even work to change them... but for now at least, that's the stark, unpalatable reality.

Exactly. This is not a step towards fascism. It's just a public endorsement of things we already do. Saying he wants surveillance of mosques and to engage in quasi torture regardless of what the statistics say on its effectiveness in intelligence gathering is just continuing the status quo or rewinding things back a few years.

yeah fuck trying to ever do anything better

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Those answers don't actually seem that unreasonable? The wording for the carnage stuff is kind of weird and off putting I guess

Yes, he's saying that because it's their bodies, it's their choice, and we, and the government, do not have the right to make that decision for them.

Unless they're women. Apparently.

That's not fair. While I do not agree with him, there is a principled distinction between someone being permitted to choose to forego a treatment and allowing someone to choose to have a procedure which you would otherwise prohibit.

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Those answers don't actually seem that unreasonable? The wording for the carnage stuff is kind of weird and off putting I guess

Yes, he's saying that because it's their bodies, it's their choice, and we, and the government, do not have the right to make that decision for them.

Unless they're women. Apparently.

That's not fair. While I do not agree with him, there is a principled distinction between someone being permitted to choose to forego a treatment and allowing someone to choose to have a procedure which you would otherwise prohibit.

This is only a meaningful distinction if you take the status quo to be sacrosanct.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Apparently Trump asking how stupid Iowans are gives him 5 more percent and saps Carson by 10. Cruz is up by 10 (Quinnipiac).

How great for the establishment that if Rubio absorbs Bush and some of the other no-hopers he would still be in third.

So now Trump might have to start beating on Cruz to stay ahead. I wonder how he would do that.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    You could take on the government shutdown. Trump's gotten odd mileage out of flaying right-wing favorites and spinning them to his favor (like when he was rewarded for shitting all over McCain's service record)

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-trump-retakes-lead-cruz-surges-in-ia-rubio-second-in-nh/

CBS's polling shows Trump with a healthy lead in first and Cruz pushing ahead of Carson for 2nd. Which spooks me out.

horseracegopia.jpg

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Trump-Cruz-Carson at 70. See, even if Cruz is a better candidate for the GOP than Trump or Carson his gaining strength over Rubio can't be reassuring for them.

Absalon on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Again Rubio is like a consistent 11 to 13%, he has no increase.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Iowa isn't historically a very good predictor of the eventual nominee.

The real surprise would be Trump winning there instead of a more religiously grounded candidate.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Cruz scares the living dogshit out of me. I can't believe how well he's polling.

• Options
    So now that WW3 might be kicking off in Syria this morning, I wonder what the fantastic group of careful thinkers that makes up the GOP is going to say today.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The best bit is Pataki looks like he's reacting to the poll numbers.

Wait, didn't Jindal drop out? Pataki is polling below somebody who isn't even in the race.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I have no idea who Gilmore is.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    yeah, SFKM has a habit of posting things, not necessarily with an intent to endorse, but to say "this is just how things are". We might wish they were not so, might say that it is wrong that they are so, and some might even work to change them... but for now at least, that's the stark, unpalatable reality.

Exactly. This is not a step towards fascism. It's just a public endorsement of things we already do. Saying he wants surveillance of mosques and to engage in quasi torture regardless of what the statistics say on its effectiveness in intelligence gathering is just continuing the status quo or rewinding things back a few years.

Actually, I'd argue that it is very much one, as laid out by Umberto Eco in his seminal essay on the topic. The Demographic Unit should not exist.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

yeah fuck trying to ever do anything better

Oh c'mon, this is not what he was saying and is antagonistic for no reason.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I have no idea who Gilmore is.

He's the guy behind the title for Gilmore Girls. He was their father.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Cruz scares the living dogshit out of me. I can't believe how well he's polling.

They all scare the living dogshit out of me.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

They all scare the living dogshit out of me.

Yeah, but you'd figure in the top 3 candidates for president in one of the two major parties we would have somebody that isn't completely insane.

Kasich would be bad. He'd be real bad. But compared to Trump, Cruz, and Carson, it's like the difference between somebody ramming their car through your house and having an airplane carrying 100 tons of contact explosive crash through your roof. One of them is awful but eventually repairable, the other means that if you survive you have to move, and your neighbors got caught in the explosion too.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radithor

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Jesus Christ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quackery_involving_radioactive_substances

Reading through this made me slowly sick to my stomach. Of course people at the time didn't know any better, but that's the lesson, right? If a therapy hasn't been proven then it should be avoided.

• Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

Yes, their agenda was "asking for a response to question."

Those crafty bastards.

Ben Carson, idiot or just senile?

• Options

Jesus Christ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quackery_involving_radioactive_substances

Reading through this made me slowly sick to my stomach. Of course people at the time didn't know any better, but that's the lesson, right? If a therapy hasn't been proven then it should be avoided.

The point I was making is that "personal choice" can't really be used as a defense when those involved aren't fully informed and protected against harm.

The NFL and NCAA has made a concerted effort to downplay the health risks of their sports in older to bolster participation, public demand, and profits.

• Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

Yes, their agenda was "asking for a response to question."

Those crafty bastards.

Ben Carson, idiot or just senile?

The por que no los dos thing is getting overdone, but it still applies

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

The article mentioned in this has an amazing title.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The article mentioned in this has an amazing title.

Name of my new Speed Metal band

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

I can actually see why Cruz may end up pulling ahead in the GOP primary. He's a candidate who both pisses off the party leadership (which seems very popular among the base these days) and someone who has, you know, actual experience in government. Plus he gets an added bonus because a good portion of that experience has been spent trying to shut said government down.

So, you have the red meat for the true believers, and everyone else in the party gets to feel like they did the responsible thing by voting for someone who, 1) is not as "out there" as Trump or Carson, and 2) has knowledge of how the government actually works.

Welcome to your "responsible" Republican candidate, America.

Ted "Nothing Can Be Longer Than The Bible" Cruz.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Something you might not have known about Ted Cruz: he has a made up superpower called "audiographic memory".
    Glenn Beck said Wednesday he believes 2016 hopeful Sen. Ted Cruz’s (R-Texas) self-described “audiographic memory” would be a “massive plus” in a president.

Beck said Cruz remembers anything as long as it’s been said to him out loud because it “imprints on him an audio file.”

“To be able to sit down — if you could just watch all the tapes of Vladimir Putin, nobody is getting around him,” Beck said. “You’re sitting down, ‘Actually, no, that’s not what you said.’ Yes it is. ‘No it’s not.’ … To have someone with a photographic or, in [Cruz’s] case, audiographic memory is a massive plus.”

Cruz is able to remember conversations verbatim, according to Beck. Though the skill has proven helpful in the Senate and on the campaign trail, Beck recalled Cruz telling him that he feels like “everybody is going to think I’m a robot.”

However, Cruz’s memory may have been what gave the senator the ability to call out Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) over the Import-Export Bank reauthorization.

“That’s why he could rattle off word-for-word what Mitch McConnell said to him,” Beck co-host Pat Gray said. “And that’s why nobody disputed him. Because they know he’s right.”

“Correct,” Beck replied.

Beck said Cruz doesn’t discuss his unique skill often because he’s “not comfortable talking about it.” He said he told Cruz his memory skill is not a “cross or a burden,” but that it is a good thing. Gray said he believes the only other president who may have had a similar skill was Thomas Jefferson.

The junior senator has been taking advantage of the talent since high school.

In a 2013 interview with GQ, Cruz said he memorized the Constitution and would travel around Texas reciting it with his friends in a group they formed called the “Constitutional Corroborators.” And of course in the Senate, he drew on his skills during his 21-hour speech against the Affordable Care Act.

This is funny to me, because THIS GIFT, THIS CURSE OF HIS couldn't allow him to handle CNBC's debate moderators. Because they were "left-wing operatives". How does he imagine he's going to be able to handle Vladimir Putin?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That's easily falsifiable: "Hey Cruz, repeat the State of the Union Address from 2008."

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The Republican Party, in one polling question:
    The examples of the GOP’s reflexive opposition to President Obama’s agenda are many but this may be the best one yet: by a 27 point margin Republicans say they disapprove of the President’s executive order last year pardoning two Thanksgiving turkeys (Macaroni and Cheese) instead of the customary one. Only 11% of Republicans support the President’s executive order last year to 38% who are opposed- that’s a pretty clear sign that if you put Obama’s name on something GOP voters are going to oppose it pretty much no matter what.

Seriously. They disapprove of the President going West Wing and...pardoning two turkeys.

If you want to understand why the current Republican primary is an utter shitshow, well...there's your explanation.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That's easily falsifiable: "Hey Cruz, repeat the State of the Union Address from 2008."

Trick question: he wasn't there.

• Options
    Obama: soft on crime, soft on turkeys

TurkeyGate 2014

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    You allow 2 turkeys to get pardoned what's to stop him from pardoning more?

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    You allow 2 turkeys to get pardoned what's to stop him from pardoning more?
    He probably wants to force us all to eat tofurkey.
    (Not a real quote)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Those turkeys could've been secret terrist moolims!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The Republican Party, in one polling question:
    The examples of the GOP’s reflexive opposition to President Obama’s agenda are many but this may be the best one yet: by a 27 point margin Republicans say they disapprove of the President’s executive order last year pardoning two Thanksgiving turkeys (Macaroni and Cheese) instead of the customary one. Only 11% of Republicans support the President’s executive order last year to 38% who are opposed- that’s a pretty clear sign that if you put Obama’s name on something GOP voters are going to oppose it pretty much no matter what.

Seriously. They disapprove of the President going West Wing and...pardoning two turkeys.

If you want to understand why the current Republican primary is an utter shitshow, well...there's your explanation.

It's the thin end of the wedge. You start pardoning two turkeys, people demand you maintain that trajectory for next year, so you've got to pardon four. After 28 years you're pardoning 536,870,912 turkeys, double the annual turkey output of the USA. To keep up with demand, the US is forced to invade the Middle East to annex their turkey production, but that won't be enough for year 29. Whole areas of the Midwest are pressganged into turkey production to push the worldwide turkey production past the one billion mark, all so they can be ceremonially not eaten in late November. All because Obama wanted to go rogue.

Trump/Hand Puppet Controlled by Trump 2016

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    madparrot wrote: »
    Trump: Not only enthusiastic about bringing back torture, but ready and willing to do it just to be a dick. Rather astounding, this. He's taken yet another step down the road toward real fascism.

Nah, he's just expressing what alot of people really think. He's not taking a step anywhere, he's just publicly declaring "We all know we're already here".

I don't think he's saying anything that radical either. Surveillance of mosques and Muslim groups has gone on for a long time in NYC, and the US has a pretty strong history of seeking retribution for retribution's sake.

That's definitely radical to anyone who isn't a Republican, and even some Republicans don't like that.

This discussion has been closed.