As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red vs Blue: [Republican Primary] Edition

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    yeah, SFKM has a habit of posting things, not necessarily with an intent to endorse, but to say "this is just how things are". We might wish they were not so, might say that it is wrong that they are so, and some might even work to change them... but for now at least, that's the stark, unpalatable reality.

Exactly. This is not a step towards fascism. It's just a public endorsement of things we already do. Saying he wants surveillance of mosques and to engage in quasi torture regardless of what the statistics say on its effectiveness in intelligence gathering is just continuing the status quo or rewinding things back a few years.

Don't you remember how insanely controversial torture was once the media learnt about Guantanamo etc? That wasn't quasi torture either. Many people in the intelligence community and the FBI were in the media and testified how bad it was for acquiring actionable intelligence and being an ethical black hole.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-trump-retakes-lead-cruz-surges-in-ia-rubio-second-in-nh/

CBS's polling shows Trump with a healthy lead in first and Cruz pushing ahead of Carson for 2nd. Which spooks me out.

horseracegopia.jpg

I'm amused that the top two candidates are an Hispanic and an openly anti-Hispanic racist.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-trump-retakes-lead-cruz-surges-in-ia-rubio-second-in-nh/

CBS's polling shows Trump with a healthy lead in first and Cruz pushing ahead of Carson for 2nd. Which spooks me out.

horseracegopia.jpg

I'm amused that the top two candidates are an Hispanic and an openly anti-Hispanic racist.

Cruz looks so sad in that pic.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Graham is still in?

Okay.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Graham is still in?

Okay.

I do enjoy that he's polling lower than a guy that's not in the race and the guy I've never even heard of.

I wonder who will get his tens of votes when he drops out

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

horseracegopia.jpg

To be fair, Ted Cruz is kind of an openly anti-Hispanic racist, just for Hispanics who are not him.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, apparently Trump placed on his golf course a memorial for an imaginary Civil War battle.

You know, I don't think there is anything more Trump than a monument to delusion.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    So, apparently Trump placed on his golf course a memorial for an imaginary Civil War battle.

You know, I don't think there is anything more Trump than a monument to delusion.

His base will love it, Trump knows his audience. His white supremacist audience.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Probably more accurately is that Trump is anti-immigrant and Cruz is the son of immigrants and also anti-immigrant.

And racists.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Probably more accurately is that Trump is anti-immigrant and Cruz is the son of immigrants and also anti-immigrant.

And racists.

Trump also spent quite a while looking for a certain Birth Certificate.
    And we know that Cruz was born in Canada (sure, he's perfectly eligible to run, but i still find this slightly amusing).

• Options

"Okay, yeah, so that battle never happened. But it's certainly possible that something like that might have happened at some point in time, in, you know, the general vicinity."

Oh, Trump, you rascally pathological bullshitter!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

horseracegopia.jpg

I didn't know that OCP president Dick Jones was running. But it's not surprising that he would be in last place.

• Options

horseracegopia.jpg

I didn't know that OCP president Dick Jones was running. But it's not surprising that he would be in last place.

Dick Jones would be a moderate in this circus.

dick-jones.jpg?w=480

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hey lets not Besmirch the good name of Ronny Cox, the man plays a mean banjo.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I love that Jindal's bar is only half the size of Christie, Paul, and Asslube, despite all four of them having 2%.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    When is Trump going to go after Saint Reagan for being against walls?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I wouldn't get spooked yet. As Nate Silver argues, the polls are misleading. This far out, 65-80% of primary voters are still undecided. That puts Trump's likely "locked in" primary votes somewhere around 6-10%, not 30%. Plus, 30% of "likely republican primary voters" represents 6-8% of the total electorate.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The campaign manager of Trump's campaign had an interview on Breitbart. Quotes from the article, the interview is a podcast:
    We see it with the Mainstream media all the time. They write stories that are factually inaccurate. They’re never held account. And I think in general the American people are tired of being told by the political elites and the media elites what they can and can’t do, what they can and can’t say. They’re tired of it and that’s why you saw last night in Columbus, Ohio 14,000 people came out to a Trump rally to hear it first hand from Mr. Trump about what really needs to be done to make America great, again.
    So NPR, the New York Times and the Associated Press searched contemporaneous news accounts and could find no evidence of Muslim-Americans cheering in Jersey City. That’s odd. Because it took me less than two minutes to find this story from the Washington Post dated September 18, 2001 (although I did have to spend $3.95 to buy it from the Post’s archives)….
    Mr. Trump has a unique ability to push back on reporters that I think so few other candidates for office will do … he’s done it so many times, that the reporters finally have to understand that they can’t overpower Donald Trump because he’s a leader.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular

I wouldn't get spooked yet. As Nate Silver argues, the polls are misleading. This far out, 65-80% of primary voters are still undecided. That puts Trump's likely "locked in" primary votes somewhere around 6-10%, not 30%. Plus, 30% of "likely republican primary voters" represents 6-8% of the total electorate.

He really should have continued and explained how much polls change during the later weeks, to quantify the predictive value of polls. From what I've seen polling isn't predictive yet but will be soon.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    The campaign manager of Trump's campaign had an interview on Breitbart. Quotes from the article, the interview is a podcast:
    We see it with the Mainstream media all the time. They write stories that are factually inaccurate. They’re never held account. And I think in general the American people are tired of being told by the political elites and the media elites what they can and can’t do, what they can and can’t say. They’re tired of it and that’s why you saw last night in Columbus, Ohio 14,000 people came out to a Trump rally to hear it first hand from Mr. Trump about what really needs to be done to make America great, again.
    So NPR, the New York Times and the Associated Press searched contemporaneous news accounts and could find no evidence of Muslim-Americans cheering in Jersey City. That’s odd. Because it took me less than two minutes to find this story from the Washington Post dated September 18, 2001 (although I did have to spend $3.95 to buy it from the Post’s archives)….
    Mr. Trump has a unique ability to push back on reporters that I think so few other candidates for office will do … he’s done it so many times, that the reporters finally have to understand that they can’t overpower Donald Trump because he’s a leader.

Really

cause it took me less than 2 minutes (about 15 seconds) to find this article on Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/11/22/donald-trumps-outrageous-claim-that-thousands-of-new-jersey-muslims-celebrated-the-911-attacks/
    Update: Some readers have tweeted to The Fact Checker a Washington Post article from Sept. 18, 2001, as evidence of Trump’s claim. The article, which appeared on page 6, described FBI probes in northern New Jersey after the attacks, saying in the 15th paragraph that “law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river.”

Of course, “a number of people” obviously does not equal “thousands” — and “allegedly” indicates there is no video footage or other proof that celebrations actually took place. Recall that Trump claimed he saw this on television — and that it was “well covered at the time.” This newspaper article appeared days later.

The reporters who wrote the story do not recall whether the allegations were ever confirmed. “I certainly do not remember anyone saying that thousands or even hundreds of people were celebrating,” said Serge Kovaleski, one of the reporters. “That was not the case, as best as I can remember.”​

Fredrick Kunkle, the other reporter, added: “I specifically visited the Jersey City building and neighborhood where the celebrations were purported to have happened. But I could never verify that report.”

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Really

cause it took me less than 2 minutes (about 15 seconds) to find this article on Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/11/22/donald-trumps-outrageous-claim-that-thousands-of-new-jersey-muslims-celebrated-the-911-attacks/
    Update: Some readers have tweeted to The Fact Checker a Washington Post article from Sept. 18, 2001, as evidence of Trump’s claim. The article, which appeared on page 6, described FBI probes in northern New Jersey after the attacks, saying in the 15th paragraph that “law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river.”

Of course, “a number of people” obviously does not equal “thousands” — and “allegedly” indicates there is no video footage or other proof that celebrations actually took place. Recall that Trump claimed he saw this on television — and that it was “well covered at the time.” This newspaper article appeared days later.

The reporters who wrote the story do not recall whether the allegations were ever confirmed. “I certainly do not remember anyone saying that thousands or even hundreds of people were celebrating,” said Serge Kovaleski, one of the reporters. “That was not the case, as best as I can remember.”​

Fredrick Kunkle, the other reporter, added: “I specifically visited the Jersey City building and neighborhood where the celebrations were purported to have happened. But I could never verify that report.”

This does not offer a compelling refutation if you're looking for an excuse to believe Mr. Trump

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I too was in New Jersey on September 11, 2001. I was even in a place where actual Muslims worked. I never saw anybody celebrate the fall of the towers, and I remember hearing on the news reports about some people doing so that were debunked nearly instantly. I know it won't matter, but there isn't a shred of evidence that any such celebrations actually happened.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

"Okay, yeah, so that battle never happened. But it's certainly possible that something like that might have happened at some point in time, in, you know, the general vicinity."

Oh, Trump, you rascally pathological bullshitter!

Oh God the single comment:
    Yeah, the best part about history is that you can just make shit up and then, BOOM, HISTORY!

lol

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Every 15 seconds there was a nonsense rumor in NY and NJ about some supposed thing that happened on 9/11

Zero of it actually ended up being true

• Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I too was in New Jersey on September 11, 2001. I was even in a place where actual Muslims worked. I never saw anybody celebrate the fall of the towers, and I remember hearing on the news reports about some people doing so that were debunked nearly instantly. I know it won't matter, but there isn't a shred of evidence that any such celebrations actually happened.

IIRC Fox News ran footage of Muslims in a foreign country celebrating, except they "forgot" to mention it was from years before and they weren't celebrating America getting attacked.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Really

This does not offer a compelling refutation if you're looking for an excuse to believe Mr. Trump

Maybe not, but that article factually does not say what the Trump spokesman says it does. The article is about the FBI investigating muslims in Northern New Jersey because that was where the 1993 attackers came from. Only in one short paragraph does it say they were investigating any reports of celebrating.
    In Jersey City, within hours of two jetliners' plowing into the World Trade Center, law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river.

That's literally the entire quote that the article says about it.

But, I guess liars gonna lie.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

The claim is so gobsmackingly stupid. I mean, maybe some local kids did it because lol local shithead kids who don't yet fully grasp certain things, but nobody even knew who was responsible for the attacks yet, including anyone who might've been a Wahhabi supporter in NJ.

Best set your watch, though. Now that this is a thing, it's only a matter of time before some opportunistic asshole cop 'comes forward' to back-up Mr. Trump's claim with his or her personal anecdote about how they were totally there and totally busted a huge ring of rooftop celebrations and all of the people celebrating were totally Muslim.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    because that's what cops around here were concerned with that night

I was very glad yesterday an entire paper (I forget which, sorry) had its front page dedicated to shitting on this claim from trump

I never liked him but I didn't feel as much anger as I do now these last few months

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

IIRC Fox News ran footage of Muslims in a foreign country celebrating, except they "forgot" to mention it was from years before and they weren't celebrating America getting attacked.

This footage that MSNBC ran, too?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrM0dAFsZ8k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMOZvbYJMvU

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Politifact prediction:

"A Muslim in New Jersey probably celebrated. Mostly true."

• Options
    edited November 2015
    emnmnme wrote: »

Back then everyone followed what Fox News showed with authenticity, even MSNBC. Some shows and anchors more than others, like Chris Matthews. The reason I'm not putting as much blame on the others, not that they don't deserve blame for what they did, was that they weren't the source - Fox News was.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Back then everyone followed what Fox News showed with authenticity, even MSNBC. Some shows and anchors more than others, like Chris Matthews. The reason I'm not putting as much blame on the others, not that they don't deserve blame for what they did, was that they weren't the source - Fox News was.

Ahem.

Unfortunately, no, that footage is not fake.

It was shot on the day of the attacks in West Jerusalem by Reuters reporters, who then fed it to Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Politifact prediction:

"A Muslim in New Jersey probably celebrated. Mostly true."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/22/donald-trump/fact-checking-trumps-claim-thousands-new-jersey-ch/

even politifact considered this beyond the pale

• Options
    Wow when even politifact won't carry water for you...

Though just wait, when the complaints roll in they'll flip it to half true because people really believe in this made up horse shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Ahem.

It was shot on the day of the attacks in West Jerusalem by Reuters reporters, who then fed it to Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc.
    I didn't know that. Thanks.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

If this was an actual thing it would have been rebroadcast on fox non stop every day. The fact it has not been is probably the clearest example of it not actually happening.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Ahem.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

I mean, it was still awful of those news organizations to chew on it in the way they did... but yeah. Animosity breeds animosity. The circle jerk of hate.

:|

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

The claim is so gobsmackingly stupid. I mean, maybe some local kids did it because lol local shithead kids who don't yet fully grasp certain things, but nobody even knew who was responsible for the attacks yet, including anyone who might've been a Wahhabi supporter in NJ.

Best set your watch, though. Now that this is a thing, it's only a matter of time before some opportunistic asshole cop 'comes forward' to back-up Mr. Trump's claim with his or her personal anecdote about how they were totally there and totally busted a huge ring of rooftop celebrations and all of the people celebrating were totally Muslim.

The people celebrating knew about it because they're all terrorists. See?

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

If this was an actual thing it would have been rebroadcast on fox non stop every day. The fact it has not been is probably the clearest example of it not actually happening.

Nah, it's just further evidence that Fox News is a member of the liberal lamestream media.

• Options
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/torture-becoming-key-campaign-issue-gop-candidates

“And I would approve more than that. Don’t kid yourself, folks. It works, okay? It works. Only a stupid person would say it doesn’t work.”

Trump said such techniques are needed to confront terrorists who “chop off our young people’s heads” and “build these iron cages, and they’ll put 20 people in them and they drop them in the ocean for 15 minutes and pull them up 15 minutes later.”

“It works,” Trump said over and over again. “Believe me, it works. And you know what? If it doesn’t work, they deserve it anyway, for what they’re doing.”

This is the leading contender for the GOP saying america should make people suffer because of crimes they have committed. And the worst part is, he is not alone in his party with these beliefs. THIS PARTY CONTROLS MOST OF OUR GOVERNMENT!

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.