Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    K, so im confused.
    Why exactly did he shoot the guard captain. The accent makes him hard to understand but it sounded like he was trying to find a way out for clara, and said, I need a regeneration, and the guard captain said, take mine. I thought he was going to give clara a regeneration somehow. if that was not the case then why the hell did he shoot the guard?
    He asks what regeneration he was on, and he replied "tenth" (I think).

They both knew he was running, and that the guard would try to prevent him. It wasn't a "final" death, but still kinda a bigger deal than, say, a third regeneration.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Some discussion earlier in the thread about confusion around the scene at the end of time, and we were supposed to take away from it that the Doctor lied (rule No. 1!) and doesn't *for sure* know the identity of the hybrid. He has some suspicions and theories. Me/Alshidr being one of his theories. Himself being another, one he doesn't like to think about. Alshidr put forth the theory that it was actually he and Clara together, that the combination of the two would take things too far (as we were seeing happening right there in that episode, with all of time threatened by his insistence that she lived), and that this was actually Missy/Master's plan all along when she made sure they met.
    Ah yes, I'd forgotten that Missy was the one who gave Clara the Doctor's number.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Wait a tic
    am I the only one that thought the Doctor got the prophecy from the untempered Schism?

Like he even explains to Martha that once he saw what was in there he ran and never stopped.
    Seems weird to say it was the sliders

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    This episode was awesome. I hated the conclusion of that Raven ep... This was so much better!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Sadly much as we've been going 'Hooray! Intelligent plots that make proper use of that time travel thing you have going on!,' I've been seeing a lot of comments among the more 'casual' crowd, for want of a better term, having quite literally lost the plot on the last few episodes and not being very happy about it.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well that's fucking weird. I'm not sure what was really confusing about this.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    It was thirty years or more of fan-dom and back-story compressed into one finale episode. I wasn't confused about much, but I can definitely see people being utterly lost if they just stumble into it.

My mum, for example, doesn't care about anything resembling story at all, she just likes the "scary monsters and people crying for no reason".

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Your mum is .0001% responsible for half the bad shit on TV now.

• Options
    The last three episodes tie together but for basic comprehension you don't have to take much away from any of them.
    Episode 10:
    Doctor is set up. Clara Dies but is cool with it. Doctor is pissed.

Episode 11:
    Doctor figures out who arranged the set up. Doctor is super pissed.

Episode 12:
    Doctor is still super pissed. Scowls at people until given the power to undo Episode 10 at great cost despite Clara being cool with it. Cue Drama.

• Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    It was thirty years or more of fan-dom and back-story compressed into one finale episode. I wasn't confused about much, but I can definitely see people being utterly lost if they just stumble into it.

My mum, for example, doesn't care about anything resembling story at all, she just likes the "scary monsters and people crying for no reason".

Yeah, I enjoyed the final three episodes and thought Heaven Sent was one of the best episodes of Who pretty much ever, but I do worry about it disappearing up its own mythology again - especially as that was one of the things that got the original series cancelled in the first place. It's a Saturday night prime-time family show: accessibility should be one of its key concerns, and Moffatt just doesn't seem too bothered.

Similar story with my mum, who watched Hartnell and Troughton back when she was young, and watched the majority of new Who up until somewhere through Matt Smith's second series, when she gave up as she felt she didn't understand what was going on unless she religiously watched every episode. That's OK for an "event viewing" series (e.g Thrones), but not for something that's supposed to be getting a wide audience on a Saturday night.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Help!!!!

So, my DVR recording just cut before the end of the episode, was there anything after:
    Clara and Me flew away in the Tardis/diner. Then the Doctor sees his Tardis there, walks in, and it starts to power up. Then the recording just stopped. Was there anything after that?

The feels. So many feels.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There was!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFAxXwMoLoM

Then he snaps the doors closed and takes off

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Help!!!!

So, my DVR recording just cut before the end of the episode, was there anything after:
    Clara and Me flew away in the Tardis/diner. Then the Doctor sees his Tardis there, walks in, and it starts to power up. Then the recording just stopped. Was there anything after that?

The feels. So many feels.
    He sees the chalkboard with "Run you Clever Boy" written on it and below it "Be A Doctor" along with his purple coat hanging on the edge. He puts his coat on and and makes the Tardis go. In the process of disappearing the Tardis the portrait of Clara and all the painted flowers on the outside flecks off and blows away. Cue the Tardis flying through space as well as passing by Diner Tardis.

Edit: Oh yeah, he get a new screwdriver and does the snappy door closing thing.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I feel like there are a lot of people who watch a show half paying attention (because they're cleaning the house or doing homework or whatever) and then get mad if they don't understand what's happening.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    azith28 wrote: »
    K, so im confused.
    Why exactly did he shoot the guard captain. The accent makes him hard to understand but it sounded like he was trying to find a way out for clara, and said, I need a regeneration, and the guard captain said, take mine. I thought he was going to give clara a regeneration somehow. if that was not the case then why the hell did he shoot the guard?
    He shot the guard captain because he needed to get away and the guard wouldn't have let him. He checked how many regenerations he had left because theoretically shooting the guy with regenerations left is merely a really dicky move, while shooting him if he was on his last would be outright murder.

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I feel like there are a lot of people who watch a show half paying attention (because they're cleaning the house or doing homework or whatever) and then get mad if they don't understand what's happening.

Shit like this is the reason why a ton of great shows have been cancelled (like Police Squad, most infamously).

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I didn't even know there were casual Who fans.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    It couldn't exist if there weren't. It's a family show and has very broad appeal. Or should, at any rate. Viewing figures in the UK range from around a tenth of the population to, at its height of popularity in the new era, a sixth.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    It couldn't exist if there weren't. It's a family show and has very broad appeal. Or should, at any rate. Viewing figures in the UK range from around a tenth of the population to, at its height of popularity in the new era, a sixth.

Sorry that was from a U.S. perspective. I realize it's a thing across the pond. It really doesn't have widespread appeal here so that comment caught me off guard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well, here's some shit I was confused at, so a casual watcher would be even more lost:
    So it was the timelords that put him in the dial and tortured him? How the heck did Me fit into all that?

Why did (almost)Never use a gun and (almost)Never murder in cold blood Doctor just straight up ice a dude like that? "He can regenerate" was a bit of a weak copout.

What was up with that last chat with Me? I though he hated her guts. (I really should watch it again, I don't remember a damn thing about it now. And I'm not going to bother lying about it, I was completely distracted by how fabulous Maise looked during it)

So he was going to erase Clara's memories for "wibbly wobbly" reasons. I get that. So why did he suddenly threaten to wipe his own memories? And why did he actually do it?

You went on it for 3 episodes now, and I still have no damn clue what the Hybrid is.

So at the end, it's implied that the Doctor kinda sorta got his memory back (in the form of stories). And I'd like to think he has enough information now to work out that that waitress who just took off in a freakin' diner TARDIS was Clara. He sure seems oddly nonchalant about the whole thing.

I loved the episode. A lot better than the last finale where I was just confused and indifferent on the whole thing. I got the general gist of the whole plot, but I feel like I'm lost on the fine details. All this typing and thinking about it has just made me realize I should give it another watch.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Oh sure, it probably draws in almost no one but fanboys and fan girls in the US and elsewhere.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    pizza thgfnhb
    Well, here's some shit I was confused at, so a casual watcher would be even more lost:
    So it was the timelords that put him in the dial and tortured him? How the heck did Me fit into all that?

Why did (almost)Never use a gun and (almost)Never murder in cold blood Doctor just straight up ice a dude like that? "He can regenerate" was a bit of a weak copout.

What was up with that last chat with Me? I though he hated her guts. (I really should watch it again, I don't remember a damn thing about it now. And I'm not going to bother lying about it, I was completely distracted by how fabulous Maise looked during it)

So he was going to erase Clara's memories for "wibbly wobbly" reasons. I get that. So why did he suddenly threaten to wipe his own memories? And why did he actually do it?

You went on it for 3 episodes now, and I still have no damn clue what the Hybrid is.

So at the end, it's implied that the Doctor kinda sorta got his memory back (in the form of stories). And I'd like to think he has enough information now to work out that that waitress who just took off in a freakin' diner TARDIS was Clara. He sure seems oddly nonchalant about the whole thing.

I loved the episode. A lot better than the last finale where I was just confused and indifferent on the whole thing. I got the general gist of the whole plot, but I feel like I'm lost on the fine details. All this typing and thinking about it has just made me realize I should give it another watch.
    Yes, the Time Lords put him in the dial, assuming he would crack and confess what he knows about the Hybrid. They used Me to get to him, knowing he would at least somewhat trust her or let her get close enough to stick the transporter on him to put the dial on him.

He iced the dude to show that he really was willing to go too far to save Clara. The idea was supposed to be that he cared for her too much and would do dangerous, universe-threatening things to save her, things that he wouldn't normally do. It drives him out of character. (I personally hate when they make that companions *that* important to him, but whatever, at least it wasn't Rose again.)

His relationship with Me is complicated. He definitely doesn't hate her. He regrets making her immortal and he *really* doesn't like to face his mistakes. The chat was the Doctor forced to admit that he didn't really know the identity of the Hybrid for sure, that he just had theories, and she added a theory of her own that he had to deal with (that it was the Doctor/Clara combination).

He was going to erase Clara's memories to keep the time lords from ever finding her, because they would try to kill her to preserve the timeline in which she died. The mere fact that she knew who the Doctor was could be used to track her. As they learned in the Time War, fighting with people who can change time is tricky because they can always undo what you did.

The Doctor realized that Me was right: His connection to Clara was dangerous. He cared about her so much he'd rather destroy the universe than let her die. So their connection had to go. He was going to wipe her memory to make that happen. She claimed to have messed with the device to make it go off in his face instead, and he claimed to not know if that was true or not. We can take that one of two ways: 1) he really wasn't sure whose memory would be wiped, but knew the job would be done either way and that was good enough. 2) He knew that it would go off in his face, and decided he deserved that for what he had done, and that forgetting about Clara would keep him from destroying the universe for her. The second one seems more likely to me

The Doctor sort of got his memory back because the memory-eraser was specifically calibrated to human, so it didn't work 100% on him. He still remembered that there was someone very important named Clara and some of the things he did with her, but not enough to have that strong emotional connection that was so dangerous. He probably figured it out when she flew off in the DinerTardis, or knowing him even sooner, but the emotional connection wasn't there so it didn't matter as much. It's like waking up from amnesia and being told you are married to someone you have no feelings or memory for.

Nobody knows for sure what the Hybrid is. The Time Lords have a "matrix" of minds that gives them prophecies about the future. One of the prophecies they are most sure of is that a Hybrid who is the combination of two warrior races will destroy Gallifrey. They think the Doctor knows exactly who it is. The Doctor lets them believe that, but he really doesn't. He thinks it might be him (and that was why he fled Gallifrey to begin with) and later he thinks it might be Me (a human infused with Mire technology, two warrior races). Me suggests it might be the team of Doctor/Clara. It might be any of those three, or it might be something else entirely we find out later.

• Options

> The Timelords put him in the confession dial to tell them who is the hybrid (i.e. the one who is to stand there in the ruins of Gallifrey). The "prophecy" was to "stand in the ruins of Gallifrey" and was a child of two warrior races (incorrectly as it turns out) initially thought to be Timelord and Dalek. Whether "the Hybird" was Me (part human part tech from those Thor impersonator guys), as The Doctor thought. Or "the Hybrid" was really the Doctor and Clara as "one", as Me proposed, is I think up for interpretation.

> This was to show that the Doctor was going too far (as he realized at the end of the episode). And, well, we was a timelord.

> He doesn't "hate" her (like he hates the Daleks), but he feels guilty/responsible for what she does because he "made" her immortal. (Thats just my interpretation). And the conversation was about who was the Hybrid (and in the end it didn't really matter, because the hybrid wasn't the one to bring about the destruction of Gallifrey, which was what the Timelords had thought).

> Because he thinks that one of two things needs to happen:
    1) Either Clara forgets about him, so he can send her away and not her worry that she's supposed to be dead (and possibly causing the end of time and the universe.; or
    2) He forgets about Clara so he doesn't try to break all of time and space to save/protect her.

> See above. It was a "prophecy" that the Timelords thought was that the Hybird would destroy the city/their civilization.

> That (I think) was him essentially coming to terms with what happened. He knows the memory of Clara has been erased, maybe he even remembers how it happened, but he's probably decided that its for the best. That some decision has been made and it has been an ending.

Answers (as far as I understand it) inside spoiler quote.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So uh, they never actually fixed
    the whole hybrid problem right? Is Clara being abducted at the end of her time stream causing bad things to happen? If so, her running around is still making those bad things happen. Is Me the hybrid? Well now she has a time travelling super machine so that's bad. Is the Doctor the hybrid? Maybe but he really doesn't have a reason to like the Time Lords any more than he did when he shot that guy.

This all seemed like a part one that ended sort of abruptly. I liked it as a whole, but there are still a ton of unresolved problems floating around. Two of them in a diner!

• Options
    So, that was season 9. Random guesses for next year?
    Rumours have crept out about the shooting schedule starting later, so the season might be truncated or made up of specials. Dunno. No official word.

A new companion, obviously. Almost certainly another lass, or maybe two people, I dunno.

Rassilon is positioned pretty handily as a new villain, so maybe he'll come back as next season's Big Bad. The mysterious guy behind the Mummy on the Orient Express is yet to be cleared up as well. Any other dangling plotlines?

Missy and Davros are also both back in the mix, though Moffat might leave those two alone for a bit, reasoning that they lose potency if they rock up every year.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So uh, they never actually fixed
    the whole hybrid problem right? Is Clara being abducted at the end of her time stream causing bad things to happen? If so, her running around is still making those bad things happen. Is Me the hybrid? Well now she has a time travelling super machine so that's bad. Is the Doctor the hybrid? Maybe but he really doesn't have a reason to like the Time Lords any more than he did when he shot that guy.

This all seemed like a part one that ended sort of abruptly. I liked it as a whole, but there are still a ton of unresolved problems floating around. Two of them in a diner!
    I think the Hybrid mystery is kinda like the Doctor's name. Its so much a part of Lore that it'll never be fully revealed. I think Me's theory of the Hybird is probably the most likely, thus it could always be a lurking "threat" that the Doctor goes full-on "screw the universe, I'm gonna save this person" mode (obviously won't ever happen). Or on the other hand, technically the prophecy was fulfilled if either the Doctor/Clara or Me is the hybrid since they both were actually standing in the ruins of Gallifrey. (Not that either of them caused it... or did they?!.)

I don't really know about Clara. I don't know if "the long way round" means she's going to have adventures with Me indefinitely, or if she really does mean to return to her death. This did seem a bit flippant. Didn't the Doctor just have his memory erased so that Clara could go back and set the timeline straight? He didn't get neurolocked just so she could have more adventures! Out of universe explanation: This does give them an way to have Clara come back for any special one-off projects in the future.

I was really happy with the finale. I think the dangling threads are there to picked up for next series, not specifically to be picked up immediately. It gave a fitting send off to Clara, despite not being my favorite companion, she deserved more emotional weight behind her departure than just the crow killing her.
    Bogart wrote: »
    So, that was season 9. Random guesses for next year?
    Rumours have crept out about the shooting schedule starting later, so the season might be truncated or made up of specials. Dunno. No official word.

A new companion, obviously. Almost certainly another lass, or maybe two people, I dunno.

Rassilon is positioned pretty handily as a new villain, so maybe he'll come back as next season's Big Bad. The mysterious guy behind the Mummy on the Orient Express is yet to be cleared up as well. Any other dangling plotlines?

Missy and Davros are also both back in the mix, though Moffat might leave those two alone for a bit, reasoning that they lose potency if they rock up every year.
    Rassilon will definitely be a villain, and I think you're right, he'll be the Big Bad for the series. I think they'll probably use the Christmas special to introduce a new companion, but then again, they have done one-off companions for that before.

I think the sleep monsters (despite their lame origin story) will probably be back too.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I think what I liked the most about the episode was:
    That they didn't really answer the Hybrid question, and just left The Doctor being half-human just...out there. Kinda like how they refused to address the finite # of regenerations in NuWho for the longest time, making people wonder if they were going to just ignore them, or what, and then all of a sudden, "Oh yeah, it's a real rule, and we do adhere to it. Here's how we handle it, though." They're kinda officially acknowledging the half-human comment from McGann, while at the same time refusing to answer the question.

Also, I really enjoy that there's a TARDIS that's a diner. "Restaurant at the End of the Universe" reference? I hope there's not a spin-off or anything, and this just gets to be a thing they can pull out of the hopper someday. We never see Clara and Me and what they do before dropping Clara off on Galifrey, so there's (to borrow from the show) "wiggle room" for them to use them again before that happens.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Can someone tell me why there's so much Clara hatred in some circles? I've only seen S8 with her and liked her a lot - more so than Rose, definitely - but on FB I've read a lot of comments by people who seem to hate her with a fierce, white-hot hatred. Was she badly handled earlier on, or did I somehow completely miss her bad side in the episodes I've seen? (Haven't watched S9 yet, but I'm okay with some mild spoilage.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I love Clara, but yeah, I have seen more vitriol for her than for any other companion (except maybe Rose)

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I think a lot of the Clara hate comes from these points:
    - She's introduced as this amazing mystery
    - She becomes the most important person ever in the Doctor's timeline
    - She's just as, if sometimes not more so, competent than the Doctor
    - She's twee as hell (and I hate the word "twee")

While you may not agree with all of the above, those who do tend to see Clara as a Super Mary Sue.

I'm on the fence myself. I think she started off far more irritating, and they actually toned her down a bit as time went on, but overall, I'm ready for someone new.

• Options
    Clara hasn't been twee for a while, I think.

Initially it felt like the writers didn't have a good handle on her character, so she didn't come across very strongly, but with Capaldi that's changed, and she's grown into a sterling companion. I dunno why she draws more hatred than any other companion. Of whether she does at all, in fact. There are lines of people queueing up to hate Martha, Donna, Rose and a host of the old companions.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Clara was great in her first two appearances. Then when she became a full companion in the latter half of Season 7, she was pretty bland, and mostly just a plot point rather than a character. She improved dramatically in 8, but for many viewers the damage was done.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I would like the next companion to be just some person, rather than a massively important universal power.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I think a lot of the Clara hate comes from these points:
    - She's introduced as this amazing mystery
    - She becomes the most important person ever in the Doctor's timeline
    - She's just as, if sometimes not more so, competent than the Doctor

Yeah, viewers were expected to take her amazingness on faith; it was said but never shown, and people never like being told what to do.

I think Clara also wasn't helped that her characterisation was super-inconsistent/non-existent in her first half-season. Even now, when she's been on the show for over two years, all I'd be able to come up with to describe her would be "sassy, and a bit cocky" - pretty much exactly the same way I'd describe Amy. Would definitely appreciate something different for the new companion.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They cycle through all the New Who companions next season. Amy and Rory first!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    A Donna type character would be interesting for Capaldi. Someone to give back his sass as much as he gives.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Clara was terrible with Matt Smith's Doctor, and became amazing instantly with Capaldi's Doctor.

To be fair, how do you follow up Amy & Rory?

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    I dunno, a Donna type companion might be too much "older" people making snide comments at each other. And just from a TV producer's perspective, they might think it doesn't appeal as much to a younger audience.

My guess is that they go for an Amy/Rory type 2 companion route.

My Clara dislike comes mostly from her "I'm a mysterious plot point" character intro story. The last couple series, where she's had a more developed character, has been worlds better than Smith's companion.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    One thing I don't quite get now i think of it....
    Why would a race of time travelers need prophesies? Just get in a TARDIS and go see for yourself surely?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Doctor-Who-Abbey-Road-600x400.jpg

This discussion has been closed.