Options

[chat]less whisper and shared universes

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    (east moving to DC highly unlikely, sorry guys)

But Boston is worst ;_;

And there is good Persian fast food in DC ;_;

pleaaaaaase Aioua PLEAAAAAAAASE

their contract still has like 5 years on it anyway

we'll be so over PAX by then

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Kana

like, it's not about nerd-on-nerd violence

It's about my passion for convention management and frustrations with a pigheaded venue.

the WSCC should be able to differentiate a well-run convention from an amateur-hour show, but they don't, and it will always irk me to some degree because it drags down the show I work so hard to make happen year after year.

Of course the question is

Does that mean that WSCC can't differentiate

Or does it mean there's not actually as much difference as you think.

.... Although speaking of dentist conventions, literally the worst people we ever hosted at the hotel were there for a dentist convention at the wscc. Holy shit dental hygienists, the most awful sloppiest drunks it turns out. Just terrible human beings!

the feedback we get from rank-and-file WSCC staff (as well as the POC people show management deal with) has always been overwhelmingly positive

it's the upper WSCC management that has a hate-on for us

especially compared the the venue management of every other place PAX exhibits where they fight to give PAX the best blowjob so it comes to their town

If there is a legitimate concern about the WSCC trying to edge PAX out of the convention center for nebulous reasons, then the people in charge of PAX need to start looking lobbying the elected officials who have the WSCC upper-management's ear.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Work is saying we have to decide on alternate health insurance plans now. Some of the alternatives have the copays be "CYD + 20%" instead of something flat like $20 before. What the hell is that?

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    How you can tell Thor is fighting someone
    CeVhtcYWsAA4cbx.jpg

That's the shit that's supposed to hit us late tonight right?

Ugh. I still haven't fixed that damn threshold. Better put some towels out.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I can guess a few reasons to this. From Boston giving a sloppy blow job for probably their largest or one of their largest conventions a year when in DC it would be kind of normal. I was at an HIV conference that broke 100k here a few years back.

Also Mike and Jerry being old nerds where change is not our strong suit.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i constantly get invited to meetings where i don't know what the meetings are about and i don't know what people want from me
    :rotate:

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I'm sold Mazzy will you co-found the Committee to Move PAX East to Washington, DC for the Benefit of Dignified Nerds Who May Also Actually Go See a Museum While They're Here with me

I-is it an anime museum?

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    OMG this new keyboard so much better.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Deebaser wrote: »
    https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/bab/5496744598.html
    01111_4a5A9PuCcSG_600x450.jpg

so perfect. Why is this not a thing in my area!?

They sell it on amazon for not much more: http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Colorplay-Playard/dp/B006NTY1HK

They have three colors. The one that's shown (each panel is a different bright color), gray, or sand. I wonder what kind of shitty parent buys gray or sand.

that's $80 for 8 panel tho.
    $70 for 10.

$3 more per panel

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Kana

It's about my passion for convention management and frustrations with a pigheaded venue.

the WSCC should be able to differentiate a well-run convention from an amateur-hour show, but they don't, and it will always irk me to some degree because it drags down the show I work so hard to make happen year after year.

.... Although speaking of dentist conventions, literally the worst people we ever hosted at the hotel were there for a dentist convention at the wscc. Holy shit dental hygienists, the most awful sloppiest drunks it turns out. Just terrible human beings!

the feedback we get from rank-and-file WSCC staff (as well as the POC people show management deal with) has always been overwhelmingly positive

especially compared the the venue management of every other place PAX exhibits where they fight to give PAX the best blowjob so it comes to their town

If there is a legitimate concern about the WSCC trying to edge PAX out of the convention center for nebulous reasons, then the people in charge of PAX need to start looking lobbying the elected officials who have the WSCC upper-management's ear.

Take a guess as to why this happened.

but mostly at this point the WSCC won't kick them out, just be kinda lousy and hope they leave

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    OMG this new keyboard so much better.

do you work for a wizardry company?
    you literally just said I think ill ask them to buy me a new keyboard and now you're already using it
    that's like a 5 day ordeal here

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Kana

I managed dental hygienist for ages when I worked at a dental office.

The terrible human beings describes 90% of that profession.

Want to get paid 38 an hour plus benefits for doing very little? Be a hygienist.

heh really? fun

Work weeks for most I know are 32 hours? Maybe 40 at the weird horrible corporate places.

Two years of schooling for a license.

Really everything they do can be taught in maybe 6 months?

Its a weird racket that is build around the schools limiting the supply a ton to make sure their clients (students) can pay them back.

but they have to look at people's gross mouthes all the time

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i constantly get invited to meetings where i don't know what the meetings are about and i don't know what people want from me
    http://conferencecall.biz/

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    JrJv1UA.png

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    i'm reading about what happens to hoarders if you clean out their stuff without their knowledge

they either kill themselves or rehoard stronger and better within a few months or less

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Look cute and say motivational phrases like "all of this is meaningless. This company will be dust one day. Eat at Arby's."

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm sold Mazzy will you co-found the Committee to Move PAX East to Washington, DC for the Benefit of Dignified Nerds Who May Also Actually Go See a Museum While They're Here with me

I-is it an anime museum?

OMSI has Game Masters exhibit, basically a video game museum.

Not as cool as it sounds.

• Options

I can guess a few reasons to this. From Boston giving a sloppy blow job for probably their largest or one of their largest conventions a year when in DC it would be kind of normal. I was at an HIV conference that broke 100k here a few years back.

Also Mike and Jerry being old nerds where change is not our strong suit.

well, also ultimately there needs to be a reason to change, too

East sells out in minutes and now has a healthy base of local Enforcers

no reason to strangle the golden goose

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    where do hoarders get all this money to hoard

• Options
    edited March 2016

dumpsters

they're not buying new things

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

Look cute and say motivational phrases like "all of this is meaningless. This company will be dust one day. Eat at Arby's."
    the issue isn't the meetings are pointless, it's more that i just get an invitation with no context so i have no idea if there's preparation or anything i should do because i'll get some vague topic related to some work i'm doing and its like ok do you want me to demo stuff or sit there like a lemon mostly

• Options
    or they go to garage sales or something

keep food, keep newspapers

keep a giant cocoon of sanitary pads

• Options

usually inheritance

I remember the one with the teacher that had a student name him in a hit list and it caused him to basically shut down and live in his bathroom with nothing but ensure bottles surrounding him.

That's all he ate.

He basically had no more teeth and was having massive health problems because of it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

I-is it an anime museum?

OMSI has Game Masters exhibit, basically a video game museum.

Not as cool as it sounds.

I'll be brutally honest and say it didn't sound very cool to begin with.

One day we will have a video game museum that actually documents the growth of the medium as a respectable art form. Probably not for a while.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Deebaser wrote: »
    https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/bab/5496744598.html
    01111_4a5A9PuCcSG_600x450.jpg

so perfect. Why is this not a thing in my area!?

i too am lamenting the lack of local baby UFC

815165 on
  • Options

Exasperated family members.

• Options
    Exclusive TV rights to display their story.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I want PAX East to move from Boston to DC after they finish their rather meh contract up there.

We have a huge convention center.

Kind of functioning public transit.

Use to giant fucking crowds. 500k rallies happen once or twice a year sometimes. Other times we get Popes. So 80k nerds is nothing.

Oh and I can stay at my place and relax on my way in and out.

Please, if PAX East should move anywhere it's to Orlando

OCCC can support like, 500K attendees if they wanted to grow that big, and it's all in 4 easily partitioned segments. It's Orlando in early March, so tons and tons of cheap hotels and it's not super hot yet.

Plus Mike and Jerry could go to Disney World every year after the convention

Delmain on
  • Options

We are both on Reddit at work reading about a woman's sanipad cocoon. Praise the sun.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

the issue isn't the meetings are pointless, it's more that i just get an invitation with no context so i have no idea if there's preparation or anything i should do because i'll get some vague topic related to some work i'm doing and its like ok do you want me to demo stuff or sit there like a lemon mostly

Make your bosses take the lemons back. You don't need their damn lemons!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    UUZYQEW.png

7pcibzm.png

It was nuts. He would break out into full body sweat whenever anyone mentioned teaching or cleaning up his hoard.

Like I can get being a pack rat and collecting things. But trash and animals and poop makes no sense to me.

• Options

We are both on Reddit at work reading about a woman's sanipad cocoon. Praise the sun.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/4bqja1/redditors_who_worked_on_shows_like_my_strange/

yep!

• Options
    to which the answer is usually sit there like a lemon and we'll tell you what we want you to do but i am a feared that i will walk in and they will be like ok give your presentation and then my pants fall down and the spaghetti spills out of my pockets

• Options
    i'm glad hoarding is a mental disease now

i remember the first and i think only episode of Hoarders I watched a woman had all these rotten pumpkins. and they were like ok can we throw these out? and the mom goes no no no no the seeds are still good! and she is digging out the seeds

i think pumpkin seeds cost maybe 50 cents for a bag. plus she didn't even have a garden.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    How you can tell Thor is fighting someone
    CeVhtcYWsAA4cbx.jpg

Whatever is going on, it's Loki's fault.

sig.gif
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

It was nuts. He would break out into full body sweat whenever anyone mentioned teaching or cleaning up his hoard.

Like I can get being a pack rat and collecting things. But trash and animals and poop makes no sense to me.

Well, severe mental issues usually don't make much sense, no.

• Options
    that's why it's a mental illness, bowen. it isn't rational.

you can't talk a schizophrenic out of seeing and hearing things either

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    What sort of medications do hoarders generally take to treat their mental health issue?
    google suggests SSRIs. I wonder how effective that is for them?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    to which the answer is usually sit there like a lemon and we'll tell you what we want you to do but i am a feared that i will walk in and they will be like ok give your presentation and then my pants fall down and the spaghetti spills out of my pockets

And then they give you an award for your amazing pantless spaghetti presentation and before you know it you've got slap signals coming to you regarding the deep space meat account?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Kana

Take a guess as to why this happened.

but mostly at this point the WSCC won't kick them out, just be kinda lousy and hope they leave
    Perhaps, maybe Khoo got them by the short hairs on the deal. There are a lot of contracts signed near the recession that companies wish they were out of now that there is a much wider competitive field, and PAX may be one of those contracts where they aren't making very much money on the ordeal, and that period of time is something where they've missed lower impact conventions that pay better.

Just because we are a very polite and low volatility bunch, does not mean we are necessarily low impact for them. It probably costs a lot of money to have us, and Khoo is a savvy businessman.

This discussion has been closed.