As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount & Blade 0.808 check end of OP

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Awesome, just got into this.

So is this just a small game? Not an MMO? Awr.

That said, it's awesome, and I die as an archer, I mean I am obliterated, why? Is there anyway to avoid death as an archer? (I mean, once they target you, and if you have no horse, you're screwed.)

Archery is pretty difficult if your skill is low. Once you get it high, though, you can do pretty absurd things with a bow.

jothki on
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Archery is the win at high level. For reals.

You'll have to do alot of careful fighting at low level and enlist a bunch of farmer meatshields, but once it gets up in level....God help anyone against you.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Stupid me, I didnt know you could change weapons.

Archer is hilarious, just sit on a hill watch them come towards you in a line, and hoohah.

Also being a hunter before hand was nice too. Anything you need to know bout skills n' what not?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Honestly, I've taken out armies 200 strong with nothing but a bow, you'll be fine.

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    fsmith1 wrote:
    Honestly, I've taken out armies 200 strong with nothing but a bow, you'll be fine.
    Course I will, fun game though, no one to enjoy it with ragggh, if only people didnt sleep.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    bananabreadbananabread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I hope that in the final build of the game the ability to wipe out 200 man armies by yourself is gone (with a bow or mounted). It's the biggest immersion breaker at later levels when they always outnumber you 5 million to 10 and you have to kill them all yourself.

bananabread on
    your sig was too long <3 orik
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hamju wrote:
    Hey, look guys, the Mount & Blade thread is back!

I started playing this again in the summer and tried out the Star Wars mod, but got sick of my speeder galloping and neighing. You heard me.

You could find the sound file in the folder and replace it with a file you recorded yourself, e.g silence. Or you could try speeder sounds. That's if the sounds are available to tinker with, that is. I'm far from my desktop pc and I have no idea.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I had to turn the music off becuase it sounded like a garbeled mess. Additionally, when I attack pirates or bandits, their little dialogue sounds terrible too. :( What the hell is this? None of my other games have bad sound?

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    I had to turn the music off becuase it sounded like a garbeled mess. Additionally, when I attack pirates or bandits, their little dialogue sounds terrible too. :( What the hell is this? None of my other games have bad sound?

Try updating your motherboard/sound card drivers?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Rohan wrote:
    Karn wrote:

All of the other sound effects are fine though. Its just music and certain dialogue.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    IAmTheRadIAmTheRad Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The game is buggy. It's not final yet.

IAmTheRad on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    IAmTheRad wrote:
    The game is buggy. It's not final yet.
    Actually it's not anymore. There are finalized games based on this "beta" like the Last Days, which are EXTREMELY awesome themselves. There are less bugs in this game than the released versions of, say, Heroes of Might and Magic 5 or UFO: Aftershock.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    Rohan wrote:
    Karn wrote:

All of the other sound effects are fine though. Its just music and certain dialogue.

Worth a try, though.

Rohan on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2006
    Man I don't count The Last Days as finished until it's vaguely presentable looking. Giant horse shaped wolves? Boo.

Tube on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i always wanted a giant wolf

dudes have ridiculous manuevaring rates

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man I don't count The Last Days as finished until it's vaguely presentable looking. Giant horse shaped wolves? Boo.
    Are not wargs big wolves? I'm not sure if the orcs ride them, but I'm pretty sure they're meant to be wargs.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Crossbows > Bows.

Accuracy over reloading speed anyday.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lubu, you ever used a bow at 200? At that point, the accuracy difference between crossbow and bow is unnoticable, and you can fire off around an arrow a second.

Archery ftpwn

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    lucidiquelucidique CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow, that game is amazing. Downloaded earlier today and had a goat it before lunch, i sucked big time. I eventually got better and started owning every battle at the arena. That's a pretty awesome game engine right there. How come it's not an mmo yet, i can't understand...

Anyway a couple questions for you guys. I'm currently level 2 and getting raped by Sea raiders ( Vikings that throw AXES at me, no less! ) And i recruited a couple farmers. It was funny seeing them run into battle and get sliced into french fries, but now i want some actual guards to defend me. How can i equip them with weapons?

Also, is the arena the same in every city? or can i expect better fighter in other towns?

lucidique on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zendar is the only town with an arena.

I'd recommend staying around Zendar for the first few days, hunt some river pirates. Important to move out and get some real XP before the wandering baddies get too powerful though.

If you can get really good at the various forms of combat, I'd recommend betting on yourself in the arena as a good way to build on your starting gold. Can be a pain until you learn how to use lances though if you get stuck with one.

Once you've got a bunch of starting gold, hire lots and lots of farmers (do this just after you pay wages the first time so you don't have to pay them for another 7 days) and get yourself a ranged weapon or horse. Also, if you can get yourself a padded cloth then recruit the guy inside the tavern, because you don't have to pay him and he can't die. The farmers serve as distractions while you shoot the opposition or ride them down. Get good at either of those forms of combat and you can pretty much wipe out armies on your own.

Once you start taking out armies, grab their gear (dark knights are the most lucrative to farm, although very dangerous) and sell it.

bananabread on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    fsmith1 wrote:
    Lubu, you ever used a bow at 200? At that point, the accuracy difference between crossbow and bow is unnoticable, and you can fire off around an arrow a second.

Archery ftpwn

Pfft, I havent paid for the game and rather like my knight/crossbowman.

Meh, Lances are horrid, any tips on how to do better with them aside from charging and poking guys in the back?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    fsmith1 wrote:

Archery ftpwn

Pfft, I havent paid for the game and rather like my knight/crossbowman.

Meh, Lances are horrid, any tips on how to do better with them aside from charging and poking guys in the back?

Don't attack.

Just get up to a full gallop and run people over. That's where you do your damage.

As for archery, with high 200 mounted archery, and 350 standard archery, I can make 14.0 difficulty head shots while my horse is running with ease. It's awesome.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    With lances it's all about steering the horse more than anything else. Just wait until he goes into the crouched position and then aim it straight at the other guy's chest. If he tries to move out of the way then follow him by manouvering the horse and not yourself if you can help it. You don't need to click to attack or anything, just cause the tip of the lance to collide with the other guy (it took me a while to work this out). Get good at it and you can one shot pretty much anybody.

If you get slowed down or stopped, pull out a backup weapon like a sword.

bananabread on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    With lances it's all about steering the horse more than anything else. Just wait until he goes into the crouched position and then aim it straight at the other guy's chest. If he tries to move out of the way then follow him by manouvering the horse and not yourself if you can help it. You don't need to click to attack or anything, just cause the tip of the lance to collide with the other guy (it took me a while to work this out). Get good at it and you can one shot pretty much anybody.

If you get slowed down or stopped, pull out a backup weapon like a sword.

Nice just bothered me a bit in tourneys in Zendar, aside form that I love riding through a horde of pirates and swinging mauls, then taking them all back with me for nice easy cash.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    dbz5450dbz5450 Registered User new member
    edited November 2006
    i got a pretty good group on there

dbz5450 on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    On Polearms:

You need a mount of at least speed 8.

Aim with the tip of the lance (by visual), not with the reticule.

just charge over them. pew! I once did 180 damage.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    BloodKnight2kBloodKnight2k Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wish this game would work...

It just closes itself after doubleclicking

BloodKnight2k on
    - Mark Iradian
    Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
    banner.jpg
    Need a new artist! PM if interested
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Guys, how do you give stuff to companions (Prison guy and Tavern man)? People in this thread said you have to barter with them, but I don't even see how to bring up that screen. Or can you not do that in the trial version? :(

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    Guys, how do you give stuff to companions (Prison guy and Tavern man)? People in this thread said you have to barter with them, but I don't even see how to bring up that screen. Or can you not do that in the trial version? :(
    Borcha and Marnid.

Those names have become my new Biggs and Wedge for random RPG character names.

As for trading with them, yes, it is indeed possible and should be in the demo as well since it's essentially the full game just neutered at level 6 (if I recall). Now for actually trading with them, it's been a while, but just bring up your party screen and click on them if I remember right. You'll start talking to them and trade is one of the options.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    On Polearms:

You need a mount of at least speed 8.

Aim with the tip of the lance (by visual), not with the reticule.

just charge over them. pew! I once did 180 damage.

ONLY 180?

Ahahahahahahah. Weak.

I've done over 300 charging down a hill at someone who was charging up the hill.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    1. I downloaded this game and opened it.
    2. The first thing I noticed was some sort of a tournament/training guy. I entered the fight.
    3. My opponent kept pushing his body against mine, running at me. This would lead to his instant death in any logical situation, yet the combat was actually difficult, in a pointless, monstrously frustrating way.
    4. The above repeated about 20 or 30 times.
    5. I deleted the game.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mayday wrote:
    2. The first thing I notice was some sort of a tournament/training guy. I entered the fight.
    3. My opponent kept pushing his body against mine, running at me. This would lead to his instant death in any logical situation, yet the combat was actually difficult, in a pointless, monstrously frustrating way.
    5. I deleted the game.

This isn't like Oblivion, where you click to swing mindlessly.

Maneuver around him, charge only when you're meeting him. Swing only after he has, so he doesn't block.

The tutorial can be skipped, if you don't really like it.

EDIT: Oh, and you can't get in ultraclose melee. Then you can't swing at all. Keep a decent distance from him so you can hit him. And strafe while swinging for the speed-to-damage bonus.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    DNFWM,D.

Oblivion's combat sucks about as much ass, but at least it isn't frustrating.

I was, of course, doing all the things you mentioned, I know my swordfight well. I'm saying that no matter what I did, he just kept running at me (TRYING TO GET INTO ULTRACLOSE MELEE) and swinging! Even if I had my back turned on him (which would be a perfect opportunity to stop and take a full swing).

Pardon me, but the swordfight in Thief (1&2) was much more interesting.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mayday wrote:
    DNFWM,D.

Oblivion's combat sucks about as much ass, but at least it isn't frustrating.

I was, of course, doing all the things you mentioned, I know my swordfight well. I'm saying that no matter what I did, he just kept running at me and swinging! Even if I had my back turned on him (which would be a perfect opportunity to stop and take a full swing).

Pardon me, but the swordfight in Thief (1&2) was much more interesting.

Oh, just you wait until you're running people over in your horse whilst sniping others with your longbow.

Also: The AI is pretty bad.

However, once you get through the tutorial, you'll be able to use things like horses, lances, bows... all sorts of nasty things.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mneh, a rich arsenal is not much exciting when you're just fighting retards, as in any other game.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mayday wrote:
    Mneh, a rich arsenal is not much exciting when you're just fighting retards, as in any other game.

What about hundreds of retards? With hundreds of retards under your command, who are also massacring the enemy's hundreds of retards?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mayday wrote:
    2. The first thing I noticed was some sort of a tournament/training guy. I entered the fight.
    5. I deleted the game.

You're doing it wrong

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    Borcha and Marnid.

As for trading with them, yes, it is indeed possible and should be in the demo as well since it's essentially the full game just neutered at level 6 (if I recall). Now for actually trading with them, it's been a while, but just bring up your party screen and click on them if I remember right. You'll start talking to them and trade is one of the options.

There is a talk button, but it is always grayed out. I've clicked on Borcha and he does nothing. I'll try again in a few to see what happens.

Also, it is day 4 and there are some scary deserters roaming around in a big ass group and very few pirates. This was not the case on my first, throwaway character. :[

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    Karn wrote:
    Borcha and Marnid.

There is a talk button, but it is always grayed out. I've clicked on Borcha and he does nothing. I'll try again in a few to see what happens.

Also, it is day 4 and there are some scary deserters roaming around in a big ass group and very few pirates. This was not the case on my first, throwaway character. :[

If you haven't joined a faction, then they shouldn't bother you... I think.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    MechMantis wrote:
    Karn wrote:
    Karn wrote:
    Borcha and Marnid.

If you haven't joined a faction, then they shouldn't bother you... I think.
    They do.

You have to be in the overworld to talk to Borcha or Marnid, not in a town. Yeah, it's really annoying.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork