Options

We are all tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free of this [Election]

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

Ya know, I don't agree with any of his policies or actions during his time as president, but I'd probably have a lot of fun hanging out with George W. Bush.

he is by all accounts extremely charming and fun to be around

I'd talk baseball with him

So what the hell happened with Jeb?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tal was

very obviously doing a joke of his own by pretending like he didn't understand the joke

oh yes

of course

one of those jokes where there's no joke

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    What're you, the joke police?

Walking the beat, making sure everyone's timing is good?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Tal was

very obviously doing a joke of his own by pretending like he didn't understand the joke

oh yes

of course

Is this a joke

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

Ya know, I don't agree with any of his policies or actions during his time as president, but I'd probably have a lot of fun hanging out with George W. Bush.

he likes to talk golf

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Tal was

oh yes

of course

I actually saw Elvis and Nixon tonight which is more or less that.

It was shockingly good. There were a lot of jokes where there were no jokes, BUT they remained funny-- mostly because it is rife with conversations you could reasonably see Nixon and Elvis having with each other. There were also a lot of jokes that you felt bad for laughing at knowing (assuming you have a basic knowledge of elvis and nixon) that both characters are going to meet unfortunate fates and struggle with the narcissism that colors the movie.

With Donald Trump running for office it's actually a pretty timely comedy.

I think most people would feel like I'm being very generous though, so your mileage may vary.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Ardent you realize that primary turnout doesn't correlate terribly well with general election turnout, right?

Even if it did, that would bode well for Clinton because high turnout does correlate with D victories.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well at least the US isn't going to elect an admitted murderer like the Philippines. What the hell Philippines?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well at least the US isn't going to elect an admitted murderer like the Philippines. What the hell Philippines?

wait what?

edit:
    "He recently joked that, as mayor, he should have been first to rape an Australian missionary murdered in a prison riot, but he later apologised."

Dude... what?

Zenyatoo on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    philippine politics is dominated by machine dynasties by n-th generation politicians who are grow up and live entirely in wealthy, internationalist elite circles rather than "ordinary life"

previous mass movements feel discredited due to the evident inability of repeated People Power Revolutions in metro manila to weaken the corruption of dynastic politics

which is why Duterte deliberately sets out to offend liberal or democratically-minded sensibilities. it is less striking that he does so, but that he gains support by doing so

any similarities to a certain US politician are of course coincidental...

e: should observe the Duterte would be soundly thrashed if Mar Roxas's supporters backed Grace Poe instead

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    A steak! wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Looks like the Maine Democratic party is making it so Superdelegates are assigned based on vote percentage as opposed to whomever they feel like supporting

http://usuncut.com/politics/maine-democratic-party-just-got-rid-superdelegate-system/

The thing is even if every state did this Hillary would still win, so what is the point? It's just Bernie having sour grapes over losing and blaming it on how the party functions rather than accepting the loss.
    There's a lot of attention on the injustice inherent in the Superdelegate system and there are a lot of people who will leave the Democratic Party over a perceived misappropriation of that system to deny their candidate, regardless of who it is.

Some parts of the Democratic Party seem to be aware they are fighting for the continued relevance of the party. Some are in denial.

I wasn't aware that your guy losing would set you into permanent histrionics mode.
    I am not, nor have I ever been, a registered Democrat. Because I have long had issues with the party.
    Oh well yeah it's going to wither and die without you. I think if it can survive 2004 it'll probably weather just about anything.
    I mean sure. But the parties are overwhelmingly populated by older voters. So uh.
    The idea that the democrats are in trouble because of Bernie losing is asinine. They're on the cusp of scoring a sixteen year shutout
    Yeah, the trends are certainly bearing that out. Oh wait. I mean you could be right. But that's not how the US political system works. In fact whoever wins will have a higher chance of being the target of an assassination attempt than winning a second term, based on the trends.

What the hell are you even talking about right here?
    Based on historical trends there's a 100% chance that the next President will be the target of an assassination attempt. Similarly, based on historical trends there's a 6% chance of a party winning back-to-back second terms. The only time a party has won more than two consecutive multiple terms since the Democratic-Republicans pulled off their three-peat is FDR-Truman.

Look, you guys love to argue "the trends bear this out!" But freak out when the trends indicate you're wrong. Pick one stance and stick with it, please.

That's not how statistics work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQOvyGbBtY

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Tal was

oh yes

of course

Is this a joke

When you think about it

Isn't everything a joke?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    edit:
    "He recently joked that, as mayor, he should have been first to rape an Australian missionary murdered in a prison riot, but he later apologised."

Dude... what?
    He also said that he'd murdered three people about three months ago.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Tal was

oh yes

of course

Is this a joke

When you think about it

Isn't everything a joke?

Yes

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    but you and I we've been through that, and this is not our fate

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Tal was

oh yes

of course

Is this a joke

When you think about it

Isn't everything a joke?

0d4753a23f1856313e016dac5bf3e890.jpg

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Duterte is the kind of candidate that you can point at to make Trump look relatively good. And he's en route to winning the elections today. Sorry, everyone.

Davao Death Squads are his private army that cleaned up his city by killing drug addicts and sellers. He also promises to eradicate crime and drugs in the Philippines within 6 months (a statement which he later amended to "reduce crime and drugs").

When the Australian ambassador took umbrage at his rape joke, he challenged him (and the US envoy) to pull out of the country if he wins. Never mind the fact that Australia has been one of the Philippines's closest international allies.

So why is he enjoying a 30+% score in surveys? Because his opponents are:

1) Miriam Santiago - a veteran senator whose experience and educational background could've scored her a lead in the polls if it weren't for 1) she has Stage 4 cancer and 2) she chose Bongbong Marcos for her running mate. Name sounds familiar? He's the son of the last dictator we kicked out in 1986, and we still haven't gotten back what they stole from the Philippines.

2) Grace Poe - a first time senator with no prior experience, and who suffered controversy because of her citizenship. She does look the cleanest among them, though. (Fun fact: she's the daughter of one Fernando Poe, Jr., basically a very very famous action star from the 50s up to 2000. He ran for President last time, lost to Arroyo, claimed he was cheated, and died.)

3) Jejomar Binay - former mayor of Makati City, whose rise to become the Philippines' business center is something he claims to be entirely due to him. Suffered a hell of a barrage of allegations on widespread corruption late last year, but he's still confident he'll win the presidency.

4) Mar Roxas - the current administration's candidate. He claims a lot of things, but people are wary of him, and tired of the current administration. His calls to Poe and Binay to "unify against evil (eg Duterte)" hilariously backfired.

Six years under the current administration, and people are willing to overlook Duterte's many many faults because they hate the other candidates that much. I'm broadly generalizing, but that's basically it.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Duterte is the kind of candidate that you can point at to make Trump look relatively good. And he's en route to winning the elections today. Sorry, everyone.

Davao Death Squads are his private army that cleaned up his city by killing drug addicts and sellers. He also promises to eradicate crime and drugs in the Philippines within 6 months (a statement which he later amended to "reduce crime and drugs").

When the Australian ambassador took umbrage at his rape joke, he challenged him (and the US envoy) to pull out of the country if he wins. Never mind the fact that Australia has been one of the Philippines's closest international allies.

1) Miriam Santiago - a veteran senator whose experience and educational background could've scored her a lead in the polls if it weren't for 1) she has Stage 4 cancer and 2) she chose Bongbong Marcos for her running mate. Name sounds familiar? He's the son of the last dictator we kicked out in 1986, and we still haven't gotten back what they stole from the Philippines.

2) Grace Poe - a first time senator with no prior experience, and who suffered controversy because of her citizenship. She does look the cleanest among them, though. (Fun fact: she's the daughter of one Fernando Poe, Jr., basically a very very famous action star from the 50s up to 2000. He ran for President last time, lost to Arroyo, claimed he was cheated, and died.)

3) Jejomar Binay - former mayor of Makati City, whose rise to become the Philippines' business center is something he claims to be entirely due to him. Suffered a hell of a barrage of allegations on widespread corruption late last year, but he's still confident he'll win the presidency.

4) Mar Roxas - the current administration's candidate. He claims a lot of things, but people are wary of him, and tired of the current administration. His calls to Poe and Binay to "unify against evil (eg Duterte)" hilariously backfired.

Six years under the current administration, and people are willing to overlook Duterte's many many faults because they hate the other candidates that much. I'm broadly generalizing, but that's basically it.

I often think of Hillary Challenging trump to a sword fight over some stupid thing he will eventually say about her daughter and grandchild.

But that post just described a scenario where a knife fight would be the sane resolution.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Saddam Hussein once challenged W to a duel and I was all let's do it

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

They were interviewing people on NPR asking about his appeal and basically they liken him to The Punisher

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

They were interviewing people on NPR asking about his appeal and basically they liken him to The Punisher

The small amount of googling I did about him kept returning that as his nickname.

I guess if you're trying to positively spin "Murders dudes who may be committing crimes" the Punisher is about as close as you get.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Yep, pretty much accurate!

Also, more fun facts!

1) After his rape joke, his daughter came to his defense, saying that she was raped before, and she didn't mind the joke. Duterte then retorts that she's being a drama queen.
    2) Duterte's camp ultimately issued an apology for the rape joke. A few days later, though, Duterte says that the apology was made without his approval and he wasn't sorry at all! Then they issue another statement, this time Duterte's finally apologising for the joke.
    3) Duterte also said that he's willing to give Marcos, Sr. a funeral at our "Heroes' Cemetery" (think Arlington Nation Cemetery).
    4) Duterte will board a jetski and personally plant the Philippine Flag at one of our disputed islands in the South China sea if the talks with China don't pan out.

The current count is
    #1 - Duterte: 7 million-ish votes
    #2/3 - Poe and Roxas: 4 million-ish votes each
    #4 - Binay: who the fuck cares
    #5 - Santiago: too fucking low

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Micheal Jordan risks gaining some amount of moral credibility by threatening to move the Charlotte Hornets if HB2 doesn't go:

http://abcnews.com.co/michael-jordan-hb2-goes-or-the-charlotte-hornets-go/

Edit: Nevermind, that is a fake ABC website

My bad

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It should be noted that when Duerte made that rape "joke" he was in front of a large crowd who found it extremely amusing

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Yep, pretty much accurate!

Also, more fun facts!

1) After his rape joke, his daughter came to his defense, saying that she was raped before, and she didn't mind the joke. Duterte then retorts that she's being a drama queen.
    2) Duterte's camp ultimately issued an apology for the rape joke. A few days later, though, Duterte says that the apology was made without his approval and he wasn't sorry at all! Then they issue another statement, this time Duterte's finally apologising for the joke.
    3) Duterte also said that he's willing to give Marcos, Sr. a funeral at our "Heroes' Cemetery" (think Arlington Nation Cemetery).
    4) Duterte will board a jetski and personally plant the Philippine Flag at one of our disputed islands in the South China sea if the talks with China don't pan out.

:bigfrown:

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Micheal Jordan risks gaining some amount of moral credibility by threatening to move the Charlotte Hornets if HB2 doesn't go:

http://abcnews.com.co/michael-jordan-hb2-goes-or-the-charlotte-hornets-go/

Edit: Nevermind, that is a fake ABC website

My bad

The NBA and Hornets have gone on record condemning the law though. It would be a colossal mess to move a team over this as they are probably under contract to play in Charlotte but leagues can and have threatened to not consider cities with teams for things like All-Star events and Super Bowls. I suspect it factored pretty heavily in Georgia's governor vetoing their bathroom law as they are supposed to get a new football stadium in the future, are already building a new baseball stadium, and I suspect would like to use those venues for major events.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I've got a bunch of friends from the Philippines and NONE of them are happy with the political scene at the moment.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Looks like the Maine Democratic party is making it so Superdelegates are assigned based on vote percentage as opposed to whomever they feel like supporting

http://usuncut.com/politics/maine-democratic-party-just-got-rid-superdelegate-system/

The thing is even if every state did this Hillary would still win, so what is the point? It's just Bernie having sour grapes over losing and blaming it on how the party functions rather than accepting the loss.
    There's a lot of attention on the injustice inherent in the Superdelegate system and there are a lot of people who will leave the Democratic Party over a perceived misappropriation of that system to deny their candidate, regardless of who it is.

Some parts of the Democratic Party seem to be aware they are fighting for the continued relevance of the party. Some are in denial.

I wasn't aware that your guy losing would set you into permanent histrionics mode.
    I am not, nor have I ever been, a registered Democrat. Because I have long had issues with the party.
    Oh well yeah it's going to wither and die without you. I think if it can survive 2004 it'll probably weather just about anything.
    I mean sure. But the parties are overwhelmingly populated by older voters. So uh.
    The idea that the democrats are in trouble because of Bernie losing is asinine. They're on the cusp of scoring a sixteen year shutout
    Yeah, the trends are certainly bearing that out. Oh wait. I mean you could be right. But that's not how the US political system works. In fact whoever wins will have a higher chance of being the target of an assassination attempt than winning a second term, based on the trends.

What the hell are you even talking about right here?
    Based on historical trends there's a 100% chance that the next President will be the target of an assassination attempt. Similarly, based on historical trends there's a 6% chance of a party winning back-to-back second terms. The only time a party has won more than two consecutive multiple terms since the Democratic-Republicans pulled off their three-peat is FDR-Truman.

Look, you guys love to argue "the trends bear this out!" But freak out when the trends indicate you're wrong. Pick one stance and stick with it, please.

That's not how statistics work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQOvyGbBtY

The bush presidency was fun.

This bit was amazing.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    republican presidencies are good for comedy.

• Options

Almost every standup comedian in the 90s had a take on Clinton and Lewinsky. The comedy world does just fine with both parties.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Butters wrote: »

Almost every standup comedian in the 90s had a take on Clinton and Lewinsky. The comedy world does just fine with both parties.

Those Lewinsky jokes were always really bad/tasteless though.

The only good one might have been that whole media circus with Tom Green.

Now I'm sad I had to say Tom Green did something kind of funny.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And as shit icing on the stupid cake, Manny Pacquiao's pretty much nabbed himself a Senate seat. God Bless the Philippines.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Tal was

oh yes

of course

it was a rich simulacrum of yearning pedantry, a nuanced, hilarious portrait of the oblivious poster in all of us who desires to signal in no uncertain terms that they know this thing, they know--and you do not. How could you not know?!

you philistine

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

Those Lewinsky jokes were always really bad/tasteless though.

The only good one might have been that whole media circus with Tom Green.

Now I'm sad I had to say Tom Green did something kind of funny.

So? Lot's of the jokes about Reagan's memory were in bad taste too. All I am saying is historically both parties provide plenty fodder to satirize.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

he likes to talk golf

which says as much about him as need be

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

he likes to talk golf

Golf Tangent:

I am going with Mrs. Chilla to her sister's place this weekend so she can go to her sister's Baby Shower. Boys are not allowed apparently.

Brother-In-Law decides he wants to take me golfing and says to remember to bring my clubs

I have been to a driving range twice and was completely unable to get the ball to even come off the ground, and definitely don't own golf clubs at all. When I told him this he acted like I had told him I was secretly a lizard person from dimension X.

I don't know a single person our age who golfs but he was completely floored that I didn't know how

Is golfing amongst 28-33 year olds like, vastly more common than my experience would dictate

It was a really weird reaction

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

he likes to talk golf

Golf Tangent:

I am going with Mrs. Chilla to her sister's place this weekend so she can go to her sister's Baby Shower. Boys are not allowed apparently.

Brother-In-Law decides he wants to take me golfing and says to remember to bring my clubs

I have been to a driving range twice and was completely unable to get the ball to even come off the ground, and definitely don't own golf clubs at all. When I told him this he acted like I had told him I was secretly a lizard person from dimension X.

I don't know a single person our age who golfs but he was completely floored that I didn't know how

Is golfing amongst 28-33 year olds like, vastly more common than my experience would dictate

I don't know too many people who don't know how to golf.

just myself and a few others.

people stopped inviting me to the driving range after I successfully hooked a ball so far that it bounced off of an adjacent structure and landed in the parking lot behind the tees.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

he likes to talk golf

Golf Tangent:

Does minigolf count? Because I'm pretty good at those windmills.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It is among a certain subset of generally wealthy people. But no, most people don't golf. I think more people golf than in the past, though.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say wealthy (though I'll wager that makes it easier). None of the golfers I know are what I would consider wealthy.

This discussion has been closed.