Options

We are all tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free of this [Election]

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

Ya know, I don't agree with any of his policies or actions during his time as president, but I'd probably have a lot of fun hanging out with George W. Bush.

he is by all accounts extremely charming and fun to be around

I'd talk baseball with him

So what the hell happened with Jeb?

he likes to talk golf

which says as much about him as need be

Golf Tangent:

I am going with Mrs. Chilla to her sister's place this weekend so she can go to her sister's Baby Shower. Boys are not allowed apparently.

Brother-In-Law decides he wants to take me golfing and says to remember to bring my clubs

I have been to a driving range twice and was completely unable to get the ball to even come off the ground, and definitely don't own golf clubs at all. When I told him this he acted like I had told him I was secretly a lizard person from dimension X.

I don't know a single person our age who golfs but he was completely floored that I didn't know how

Is golfing amongst 28-33 year olds like, vastly more common than my experience would dictate

It was a really weird reaction

I'm not sure

seems like it might be a regional thing (I think it's way more popular in the South?), but there's also definitely a class element

so I'm in the same boat as you, I don't know a single person my age who golfs

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I know a guy in his fourties who goes golfing.

And the way he plays golf is at every hole you have to pound a beer/cocktail.

Because, you see, I live in a world of monsterfolk.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Ya know, I don't agree with any of his policies or actions during his time as president, but I'd probably have a lot of fun hanging out with George W. Bush.

he likes to talk golf

Golf Tangent:

I am going with Mrs. Chilla to her sister's place this weekend so she can go to her sister's Baby Shower. Boys are not allowed apparently.

Brother-In-Law decides he wants to take me golfing and says to remember to bring my clubs

I have been to a driving range twice and was completely unable to get the ball to even come off the ground, and definitely don't own golf clubs at all. When I told him this he acted like I had told him I was secretly a lizard person from dimension X.

I don't know a single person our age who golfs but he was completely floored that I didn't know how

Is golfing amongst 28-33 year olds like, vastly more common than my experience would dictate

I don't know too many people who don't know how to golf.

just myself and a few others.

people stopped inviting me to the driving range after I successfully hooked a ball so far that it bounced off of an adjacent structure and landed in the parking lot behind the tees.

I've been to a driving range twice. Once in 5th grade as a field trip when were doing a golf section in PE.
    Once a couple years ago with a friend.
    I've also been "golfing" twice. It was at one of those indoor places where the course is projected on a screen.
    Not only did I shoot way, way over par, I managed to lose two balls. Yes, indoors.
    The first time wasn't too bad, but the 2nd time another friend who golfed as infrequently as I do was my partner, and we ended up taking like 3 and half hours to finish our game because our terribleness created a feedback loop or something. The guy who owned the place came and sat behind us, marveling at how bad we were. He said he'd never seen a game like it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Golf being a game for the wealthy is patently false. A vast majority of golfers use discount or used equipment on public courses which there are a hell of a lot more of in the world than country clubs. It is very much a working class activity.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

he likes to talk golf

Golf Tangent:

I'm not sure

seems like it might be a regional thing (I think it's way more popular in the South?), but there's also definitely a class element

so I'm in the same boat as you, I don't know a single person my age who golfs

I thought there was a class thing too but these guys are not especially well off

It definitely threw my perspective of what I thought of as a golfer way off

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I mean it's pretty easy to know "how" to golf. The rules aren't very complicated. I've never actually golfed but I know the rules through cultural osmosis.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    I mean it's pretty easy to know "how" to golf. The rules aren't very complicated. I've never actually golfed but I know the rules through cultural osmosis.

That's not really what I'm talking about, I mean that I cannot hit the ball and make it go up in the air

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Golf being a game for the wealthy is patently false. A vast majority of golfers use discount or used equipment on public courses which there are a hell of a lot more of in the world than country clubs. It is very much a working class activity.

it doesn't have to be exclusively for the wealthy for it to have cultural signifiers which introduce class elements into who does and does not choose to play it

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    like all the dudes who i went to high school with (florida panhandle) were already golfin regularly by 11th grade

it struck me as very much a thing one does as a man in the south, i guess

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If someone assumed I owned Golf clubs I would think they were high

I don't think I know a single person who golfs

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Here is a summary of my relationship with golf

https://youtu.be/L-pzFNTo8L8

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i went to the driving range once and it was sort of fun for a couple minutes but i struggled mightily with that club game

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I can quote the hell out of Caddyshack

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    golf seems like one of the most absurd sports w/r/t wealth, besides maybe one of the sports that requires horses. Even polo doesn't require multiple acres of land that has to be meticulously manicured on a daily basis.

Sure you don't have to own/build a golf course to play it... but the sheer scope and expense involved in a single course (all devoted to playing a game) is pretty staggering.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    My mom and step-dad golf a lot. And they are definitely not wealthy. Like at all.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

"Do you do drugs, Danny?"

"Every day."

"Then what's the problem?"

• Options

"Every day."

" I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    This conversation reminds me of a quote I heard once.

"Boxing is the sport of kings, played by peasants. Golf is the sport of peasants, played by kings."

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The usual version I hear is football is a gentleman's sport played by thugs, rugby is a thug's sport played by gentlemen

• Options
    whoof

I 100% know you mean soccer and also that thug doesn't have the same connotation not in the states but boy thats a rough sentence to hear

• Options
    Fooseball is the sport of kings played by gentlemen while water polo is only fun for the horses.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    whoof

I 100% know you mean soccer and also that thug doesn't have the same connotation not in the states but boy thats a rough sentence to hear

what connotation is thug supposed to have in the us exactly

it just means large, violent person as far as I know

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    whoof

thug is an extremely racially charged word bordering on slur towards african-americans

• Options
    whoof

thug is an extremely racially charged word bordering on slur towards african-americans

huh

I have never heard it used like that in my life.

• Options
    whoof

this is pretty much what I'd always known it as.

of course, I read a lot of Hardy Boys and silver age Batman, so, yeah

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    whoof

huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-LlwDg4eA

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Fooseball is the sport of kings played by gentlemen while water polo is only fun for the horses.

are the horses watching the water polo

like from behind a poolside fence or something

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    whoof

huh

It really came up as a dog whistle in the US in the last year or two. So yeah it's now a word we can't use anymore.

Edit: though its wandering into being that dog whistle was a longer road than just the past two years of course.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    whoof

huh

It really came up as a dog whistle in the US in the last year or two. So yeah it's now a word we can't use anymore.

that is pretty darn good to know

I mean I wasn't using it before but now I surely won't

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    golf may not be strictly for the wealthy, but it is definitely associated with wealthy people. whether that's because of exclusive country clubs or the fact that a lot of celebrities and high-powered businessmen/politicians play the game or because golf can, like any hobby really, be pretty expensive, well.

there's also, as previously mentioned, the aspect of material wealth that just goes into the game being played. massive 18 hole courses with lush green grass even in places that grass shouldn't grow, maintained meticulously by an army of workers and groundskeepers.

also, @Chincymcchilla some quick tips: square your shoulders, take it slow on your back-swing and follow through.

my grandparents bought me and my brother golf lessons when i was a kid. we shared my grandpa's clubs!

it's a fun game, to be sure. not a bad way to waste an afternoon at all.

• Options

"Every day."

" I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."

"I hear this place is restricted, Wang, so don't tell 'em you're Jewish, okay?"

• Options
    whoof

yeah it usually does

but now when people are using it to describe a 12-year-old boy who got shot by police, as a justification for why that's okay...

it basically has come to mean "n-word who needed to get put down for whatever reason"

• Options
    whoof

huh

It is used for black athletes, it was used for Martin Freeman and several other black victims of cops to justify the aciton, and was used heavily around the Furgeson protestors

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I like to golf with my Dad and don't really associate it with wealthy people beyond the one golf course in my area which is surrounded by expensive suburbs and is members only.

The province of rich people is to do whatever requires resources in excess of what normal people will ever see in a lifetime, so like yachting and stuff involving stock options.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    whoof

huh

It is used for black athletes, it was used for Martin Freeman and several other black victims of cops to justify the aciton, and was used heavily around the Furgeson protestors

holy crap

• Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I like to golf with my Dad and don't really associate it with wealthy people beyond the one golf course in my area which is surrounded by expensive suburbs and is members only.

The province of rich people is to do whatever requires resources in excess of what normal people will ever see in a lifetime, so like yachting and stuff involving stock options.

Badminton.

To a lesser extent, lacrosse and hockey.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    whoof

huh

It's racially coded. You won't always hear it used in referring to black people, it's kind of a dogwhistle thing. A lot of people are just "oh that boy Kevin that my daughter is dating is kind of a thug" and there's other times where people use it in place of the n-word.

• Options

"Every day."

that's the worst hat I've ever seen

oh, looks great on you, though

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    "It looks kind of thuggish" = "something a black person would wear"

Not everyone who uses the word thug is intending it to be racist, but it's picking up a lot of steam from the media to imply it.

• Options

"Every day."

that's the worst hat I've ever seen

oh, looks great on you, though

"Licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. A man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote."

This discussion has been closed.