As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Game Thread where we discuss genre name semantics

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    I mostly want to do the thing they showed off where you get in your ship, fly up, go into space, see the now-tiny planet you were just on below you, then go into hyperspace and arrive at another planet before landing on it. All seamlessly. Anything in addition to that is bonus.

Like, I don't know how long doing that and only that would keep me entertained for but space is enough of my jam that I'm betting at least several hours.

Like, they added planets to Elite and I've done it a lot and it still blows my fucking mind every time. When they add atmosphere planets and garden worlds it'll blow my mind even more.

I really really wanted to love Elite but there's so much tedium in it, and I found the whole game devoid of much in the way of interesting things to do.

Boyfriend and I played like 10+ hours and most of it was just spent travelling to places where there wasn't anything much to do after all. Just not really for us, I guess.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    I mostly want to do the thing they showed off where you get in your ship, fly up, go into space, see the now-tiny planet you were just on below you, then go into hyperspace and arrive at another planet before landing on it. All seamlessly. Anything in addition to that is bonus.

Like, I don't know how long doing that and only that would keep me entertained for but space is enough of my jam that I'm betting at least several hours.

I have obsessively watched footage of this game for years and it is still astonishing every time they leave the atmosphere into space and vice versa

I love that moment in one of the gameplay videos where he's floating in space looking at a very watery planet dotted with small islands and yes you can fly down there and fly over that ocean and land on those islands and cool your heels on an alien beach.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What if they called it "Free Space"

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Elite is reliant on the idea that you find it inherently fun to fly a spaceship around. It presents itself as a game where extrinsic rewards should be chased, and they should not. Their extrinsic reward structure is dogshit.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of people are going to be disappointed in NMS because they've decided it's going to be something else in their head.
    People on this very forum were ahocked to learn that it dod not feature planets the size of actual planets

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Elite is reliant on the idea that you find it inherently fun to fly a spaceship around. It presents itself as a game where extrinsic rewards should be chased, and they should not. Their extrinsic reward structure is dogshit.

the dogfighting was really fun, and just generally flying around in the spaceship was great

but we'd go out to find some people to shoot and make some money doing so and we'd end up spending 20 minutes just getting there and not dropping out of warp too early/late, and then either there'd be no-one there, or they'd be way too strong for us to take out. We had some success at the battle zone places but then some ship that could 1-shot us would show up and blow us up so we'd lose all our collected bounties.

It was the kind of game that was a wonderfully cool set of mechanics and interfaces and setting but was filled with virtually nothing to actively seek out or do, and instead replaced that content with tedious repetitive timesink mechanics.

I think I found it more frustrating because I really wanted to like it but just didn't enjoy so much of it :(

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    No Sky for Old Men

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    No Sky for Old Men

if they make a dlc where you have to run from chigurh through space I'd pay at least $3.75 for it

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of people are going to be disappointed in NMS because they've decided it's going to be something else in their head.
    People on this very forum were ahocked to learn that it dod not feature planets the size of actual planets

Planets can be many sizes

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    for you 80s action movie buffs:

On Deadly Sky

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Planets can be many sizes

look if we're going to get this semantic, there is a minimum theoretical size for planets and NMS goes under that

but

it's a videogame

• Options
    wait, people were expecting to-scale planets? did they also expect scale versions of galaxies and solar systems?

jesus

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    No Man's Sky sounds fine to me. It's a play on an established term; doesn't really seem sexist or troublesome at all.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The launch trailer specifically mentioned procedurally generating individual atoms and if that is not in the game at release I am getting a goddamn refund

cB557 on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    wait, people were expecting to-scale planets? did they also expect scale versions of galaxies and solar systems?

jesus

Yes and also yes

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    No Sky for Old Men

dubh you are the best. around. nobody's ever gonna take you down

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

jesus

I mean, Elite says hi.

edit: I should state, this isn't as a justification for expecting it in NMS, that hype machine is going to be the disappointment of a lot of people, but a scale galaxy isn't beyond the realms of possibility right now.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    People have voiced some pretty ridiculous expectations for NMS since the first reveal

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I expect the game to fully simulate a form of artificial chemistry that will allow a starting bacteria to mutate and evolve in completely unpredictable ways so that when we make copies of our consciousnesses and deposit them into No Man's Sky we will have something interesting to occupy our eternal digital lives that exist out of phase with the real world.

• Options
    We're already living in a version of No Man's Sky

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Limitless Sky

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    People have voiced some pretty ridiculous expectations for NMS since the first reveal

some (SOME) of that can definitely be blamed on the ridiculously ambitious bragging that Hello has been doing for years

most of it is dumb internet nerds though

• Options
    On a serious note

It should be No One's Sky, but it would take a whole lot of effort for no benefit to raise a stink about it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah, I've seen people talking about how it's gonna be like Minecraft and let you terraform and place blocks and build whatever you want and have tons of detailed things to craft and there will be RPG stats and you have to scrounge up food for survival and mine fuel for your spaceship and the space flight physics are gonna be the most realistic with amazing enemy AI and all this other shit that was never even hinted at. The game is going to consist of you walking around planets, looking at some shit, shooting at some shit, getting in your spaceship and flying around and looking at and shooting more shit, and traveling to the center of the galaxy. That's it, that's all they've said is in the game. And that sounds fun to me, but those people I mentioned are going to be suuuuuuuuuuper disappointed and probably bomb the reviews because it's not what they imagined in their head

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    On a serious note

It should be No One's Sky, but it would take a whole lot of effort for no benefit to raise a stink about it

women can have the sky

or one man

it's like the no barts club

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i wouldn't even call hello's promotion of the game ambitious, i'd call it flowery

it's the kind of marketing that happens when there isn't an enormous publisher breathing down your neck telling you to hit these specific points in your presentation

it's basically the literal opposite of that mighty no 9 trailer

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I haven't noticed Hello being particularly braggy about it. If anything, I've seen them hedging what they say very closely and trying to make sure people understand what the actual game is rather than what they have in their heads.

If I think braggy, I think Star Citizen, which is a game that actually makes me kind of angry at this point.

• Options
    i wouldn't even call hello's promotion of the game ambitious, i'd call it flowery

it's the kind of marketing that happens when there isn't an enormous publisher breathing down your neck telling you to hit these specific points in your presentation

peter molyneux

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This Ain't Just One Person's Sky You Stupid Motherfucker

• Options
    edited May 2016
    There's a bit more to it than that, to be fair.

There is resource gathering, and crafting and some degree of commerce and trading (with NPCs)

EDIT: but yeah I think HG has been pretty careful to not say too much, and people have extrapolated their own imaginary game out of the things they have said

Maddoc on
  • Options
    I haven't noticed Hello being particularly braggy about it. If anything, I've seen them hedging what they say very closely and trying to make sure people understand what the actual game is rather than what they have in their heads.

If I think braggy, I think Star Citizen, which is a game that actually makes me kind of angry at this point.

don't you want to spend enough money to buy a literal car on a virtual spaceship though?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

peter molyneux

molyneux kind of gets grandfathered in, he was doing flowery prose about how great his game was gonna be from the getgo and then his first few games were aces so companies let him get away with it

and now there is a very big reason you do not see a lot of peter molyneux types at big pressers

• Options

don't you want to spend enough money to buy a literal car on a virtual spaceship though?

Thst depends, do I get to replace the ship if it gets destroyed or do I have to pay a bullshit insurance fee to ensure that I get it back?

• Options
    Star Citizen is a case where I'm going to let myself completely indulge in schadenfreude

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Thst depends, do I get to replace the ship if it gets destroyed or do I have to pay a bullshit insurance fee to ensure that I get it back?

this ain't eve

• Options

This sky belongs to the Proletariet

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    On that note

This Ain't No Man's Sky XXX

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

This sky belongs to the Proletariet

More like "This Is My Sky, The Rest Of Y'all Can Get The Fuck Out"

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    'No Man's Sky (It's for Women, duh)'

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "Men Are Not Allowed To Own Property In This Matriarchal Universe" doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

This discussion has been closed.