As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: A Day at the Racist

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited August 2016 in Social Entropy++
The country that brought you bagel bites is having an election! For president! It's the head of the USA's executive branch, and arguably the most powerful position that any one person on the planet can hold. This kind of election only happens once every four years, so you gotta enjoy it while it lasts! Let's have a good time and talk about all the hilarious ups and downs of this election season. Warning: sometimes it may be less hilarious, and more soul-crushing!

Things to Consider Before Posting
  • Resist the urge to dogpile unpopular sentiments. If it's really inflammatory then report it.
  • Just because somebody is/isn't voting doesn't mean they are personally responsible for the downfall of democracy.
  • This is SE++ so don't get hung up on derails.

Previously in the POTUS Thread...
July kicked off the general election, with both parties holding their conventions and formally nominating their respective candidates. Outsides of some incidents here and there, the nomination process went as expected, with Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump representing the Democratic and Republican parties respectively. Sorry to anyone really hoping for some contested or brokered convention fun, but the parties aren't the kind to rock the boat. The DNC convention was, however, something of a nightmare thanks to Wikileaks confirming that the party WAS biased against Bernie Sanders and doing what they could to skew public opinion towards Clinton. This kicked off a mess that helped agitate Sanders delegates and concerns about Clinton's damn emails. Again. It didn't help that the source of the leak was perhaps Russia, or that Trump bizarrely requested more hacking.

In polling news, Trump managed to surprise everyone by coming out of his convention with a lead over Clinton, surprising many who had Trump at very dismal predictions for winning. Unfortunately this was not meant to be, as Clinton received a strong convention bounce that eroded Trump's lead and basically put her at a high not seen in over a month. It's too early to say how much of this is just convention bounce that may fizzle out, but that Trump picked a fight with one of her convention speakers, a father of a slain Muslim soldier, probably helped her out. Yeah, Trump has a serious problem with his campaign right now, to the point where Republicans are insisting he go back to the drawing board and try something new. At the very least, Trump claims to have narrowed the money gap between himself and Clinton thanks to convention fever bringing in the donations.

Would you like to know more? Read the previous threads...
  1. Bad Hair Day
  2. Over the Hegemony
  3. Screams from My Father
  4. Vice Vice Baby
  5. A Ring of Liar

In the Blue Corner...

sZfOGb2.png
"Crooked" Hillary Clinton
68 Years Old
Former Secretary of State and Senator

Strengths: Large war chest and campaign apparatus. Has the support and was personally involved in the administration of two of the most popular living presidents, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. That both are charismatic speakers and good campaigners doesn't hurt. Primary showed high support from PoCs and women. Promoting one of the most liberal campaign platforms the DNC has ever seen, which made motivate the base. Good taste in hot sauce.

Weaknesses: Still something of a hawk despite repenting for her Iraq vote. Seems slow to come around on certain issues until it's politically advantageous for her to do so. Not all that charismatic herself, with high unfavorability numbers. Leaked emails may lead fewer Sanders supporters to cross over than originally expected. Personally flew to Benghazi and killed four American while their crying families watched.

QxXFFS2.png
"Para Español Votar" Tim Kaine
58 Years Old
Senator, Former Governor of Virginia and DNC Chair

Strengths: A fairly popular governor of Virginia, a state that still considered a battleground. Did missionary work in Honduras, becoming fluent in Spanish and providing even more appeal to Hispanic voters. Despite more conservative personal beliefs, he has high ratings with Planned Parenthood and a dismal NRA rating. Such compromise may be a plus in the eyes of moderates. Pinchable cheeks.

Weaknesses: Your white dude politician, which isn't going to inspire much excitement. Despite voting record, personal beliefs may be a turn-off to the base. He's a Jesuit, which weirds out older evangelicals for reasons only known to older evangelicals. Possibly covered up the murder of his brother, Abel.

In the Red Corner...

fy6dHcm.png
Donald "Gold Star" Trump
70 Years Old
he's allowed to run

Strengths: Has no shame, which enables him to spout off outrageous shit that would have sunk any normal candidate months ago. Charismatic, generating lots of hype from the base. Promises to shake things up when his opponent is promising more of the same (which has been kinda meh). Lies like a goddamn champ. Wise decision in focusing on a hat-based campaign.

Weaknesses: All style; no substance: his agenda collapses when exposed to facts. Cannot shut the fuck up, which is a problem when you decide to double down on attacking a gold star family. Party is still fractured, and refusal to endorse some major names will not be changing that soon. Lost the Hispanic vote in June 2015 and is never, ever going to get it back. A man so insecure he refuses to admit that he's bald at seventy years old.

IZUuHbf.png
Mike "The Serious One" Pence
57 Years Old
Governor of Indiana

Strengths: Appeals to Republicans nervous about this Trump guy. Provides the social regressive religious guy that the base was pining for. Capable of providing damage control when the Donald mouths off yet again. More quiet and serious, so will not threaten to take the spotlight from Trump. [Insert Humorous Positive Trait Here]

Weaknesses: Not the most popular governor. Homophobic dude is not going to appeal to moderates: the country has largely moved on from rudimentary LGBT rights. No candidate ever won by denying the people cake.

FAQ

Who are our tragic third-party candidates?

Jill Stein is running on the Green Party ticket, and Gary Johnson (with running mate Bill Weld) is the Libertarian candidate. There's other perennial candidates, such as Vermin Supreme, but I'd be here all day rattling off those.

What's a battleground?

A state that is polling more or less in the middle is considered a battleground. Because solidly Republican or Democratic states would require too much time and money to make even a dent in polls, candidates focus on the handful of states that are feasible to turn. Now, this doesn't mean that voting in a "stronghold" state is pointless. After all, many battleground states were at one point or another considered reliable votes for one party or the other, and people do pay attention to shifts in polls even if the overall outcome hasn't quite changed yet.

States "in play" this election include Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

When are the debates?

September 26, 2016
October 4, 2016 (VP)
October 9, 2016
October 19, 2016

When is Election Day?

November 8th, 2016

How long do I have to register to vote?

It varies by state

November 8th is kinda busy for me. Can I vote early?

It varies by state, although some states don't allow for early voting at all.

I want to vote from a safe distance. What are my options for citizens abroad?

This should help you out.

Note that this should also be useful for people who are still in the States but will be in another state/city/etc from wherever they're registered come election day.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    that title is a work of art.

an amazing testament to creativity and human spirit in the face of adversity.

an unpleasant reminder of the mechanism by which our fellow humans put monsters to despair.

and all at the saaaame time.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So, if I'm remembering correctly, Trump basically had to flip several states that went for Obama previously to be competitive in the national election in a meaningful way, and all Clinton really has to do is not fuck up too badly and maybe snag a couple of purple states along the way, right?

I mean, it seems like a harder hill to climb for Trump than Clinton. Unless this is just wishful thinking on my part.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It was always an uphill battle for Trump. There were a number of variables that could have changed this, notably how the emails went and how the dems worked after the convention.

Now, this could have been a much closer election, but Trump's gonna Trump.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    I (unfortunately) saw Trump rise after the JudgeGate thing was out of the news cycle and the polls now are incredibly volatile, so I prefer to wait until after the first debate to see what's what.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ol Trumpelos newest line of attack is that Hillary is mentally unhinged because of one (debatable) poor word choice.

Is this irony? This feels ironic.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ol Trumpelos newest line of attack is that Hillary is mentally unhinged because of one (debatable) poor word choice.

Is this irony? This feels ironic.

I feel like when ever he says Short circuit we flood his feed with pictures of Johnny 5

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    So, if I'm remembering correctly, Trump basically had to flip several states that went for Obama previously to be competitive in the national election in a meaningful way, and all Clinton really has to do is not fuck up too badly and maybe snag a couple of purple states along the way, right?

I mean, it seems like a harder hill to climb for Trump than Clinton. Unless this is just wishful thinking on my part.

Trump NEEDS to get Florida (doable), Indiana and Ohio, as well as, say, Arizona and New Mexico

Objectively speaking he would need to broaden his message, run an impressive electoral operation, not commit any gaffes, and bet on a democratic civil war with Bernie supporters

As it is now, the race is pretty much over

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Outside.

Turn.

Spit.

All the things.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Do not tempt the wrath from high atop the thing.

I would post the appropriate West Wing video, but I am on mobile.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Difference between w and trump: only one has committed war crimes and legalised torture

I know the present sucks but let's not light a candle for the man who ran the most racist presidential campaign ever or for the imbecile who invaded Iraq and let the economy implode in a way that had not happened since 1929?
    This is all true, but still, if you're comparing him to Trump, Trump has already said he wants to commit war crimes and torture.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I can't believe with the first major female nominee for President, her description leads with her large chest.

Shame! Shame!

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I hope that made you feel really good, because the police are on their way to make you feel really bad

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So, a new Clinton ad targets Trump by showing all his clothing lines are outsourced to other countries.

Meanwhile he hired the British marketing firm Cambridge Analytica who ran the pro-Brexit ads in the country by largely appealing to nationalism, anti-immigration, and racism.

Once again, he Makes America Great Again by.... not hiring Americans and taking jobs he could create here out of the country. Huh. Something doesn't add up.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I can't wait until I'm in my mid 40's or 50 and my generation can elect one of its own to maybe actually deal with issues that pretain to us.

Right now I'm just going to hope for a lot of positive down ticket races!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So, a new Clinton ad targets Trump by showing all his clothing lines are outsourced to other countries.

Meanwhile he hired the British marketing firm Cambridge Analytica who ran the pro-Brexit ads in the country by largely appealing to nationalism, anti-immigration, and racism.

Once again, he Makes America Great Again by.... not hiring Americans and taking jobs he could create here out of the country. Huh. Something doesn't add up.

On the other hand, those guys actually succeeded at what they were hired to do, so it might add up to something.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Woo my dad's getting into Clinton murder conspiracies

Literally impossible to refute or disprove because any source that contradicts it must either be naive or biased

Bill Clinton couldn't get a blowjob without getting caught but he could certainly arrange for the murder of dozens of random people with the hits continuing to this very day

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I mean your dad's party had the Zodiac Killer speak at their convention, so you have the moral high ground here.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The blowjob was a false flag to make you think exactly that!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

But vagrant dont you see! Because all his stuff is produced outside america, and trump is a savvy business man, it means all savvy businessmen have to produce things outside america. So elect trump, so he can tell all these businesses that they're gonna have to produce in america again. And never you mind how much more expensive that will make tons of goods.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Gosh I'm so sick of people telling me when not to play Ana

Almost every time this happens the team loses regardless of whether I actually change or not

• Options
    Gosh I'm so sick of people telling me when not to play Ana

Almost every time this happens the team loses regardless of whether I actually change or not

I agree, Vote Ana 2016!

(wrong thread friend)

• Options
    Although, what Overwatch character do you think is closest to each presidential candidate?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Although, what Overwatch character do you think is closest to each presidential candidate?

Hillary: D.Va (I PLAY TO WIN!) or maybe Mercy (actual progressive policies to heal broken communities)
    Trump: Torbjorn (racist and obnoxious)
    Stein: Lucio (the healing power of music? That's not scientific at all!) or Zarya (Agent of Russia). She would be Mei for the environmentalist aspects if she didn't keep letting this other stuff overshadow!
    Johnson: McCree (Wants to return America to the old west)

• Options
    Obama: Phara, Drone Programs rain "justice" from above

I feel bad for typing that.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Torbjorn is not Trump Trump is Zarya

• Options
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    no way, Zarya's hands are formidable

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Hillary is Soldier 76. Inherently patriotic, fairly standard politician and has been around and seen some shit.

Chris Christie is a less charming Roadhog.

Ted Cruz is Reaper

Marathon on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Who's Tim Kaine if not Dad 76?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    And obviously Pence is Reaper.

• Options
    Who's Tim Kaine if not Dad 76?

reinhardt

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    I am OK with this accidental tangent.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    And obviously Pence is Reaper.

Pence is Torbjorn, seems ok on the surface but has some terrible views of you pay attention to what he's saying.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    politico has a story about Obama making the drone "playbook" public

There's one thing about Obama that I really utterly hate. Everything suddenly became a sports analogy when he became president. We don't have business plans or SOPs, we have "playbooks", literally everything at work is part of the "playbook", managers are always "coaches", projects are "game plans", streamlined processes are "race tracks"

the fourth quarter is the third period

REALLY?

e: excuse me I meant the more semi official term of "racing tracks" given the obvious problem with the term race tracks

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    my god

how terrible

• Options
    Zoel wrote: »
    politico has a story about Obama making the drone "playbook" public

There's one thing about Obama that I really utterly hate. Everything suddenly became a sports analogy when he became president. We don't have business plans or SOPs, we have "playbooks", literally everything at work is part of the "playbook", managers are always "coaches", projects are "game plans", streamlined processes are "race tracks"

the fourth quarter is the third period

REALLY?

e: excuse me I meant the more semi official term of "racing tracks" given the obvious problem with the term race tracks

are you seriously attributing this to Obama?

cause that might be the stupidest complaint i've ever heard

• Options
    edited August 2016
    let alone the fact that it's not even accurate
    Washington Post

In addition to setting out the role of the president, the guidelines emphasize the importance of “verifying” the identity of high-value targets, even as they outline the criteria and legality of striking unidentified others when “necessary to achieve U.S. policy objectives.”

The guidelines provide rules for targeting U.S. citizens abroad and include lengthy guidance on what to do with captured terrorist suspects. “In no event,” the document says, “will additional detainees be brought to the detention facilities at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base.”

The 18-page top-secret document was declassified and released late Friday, with relatively minor redactions, in response to a federal court order. When Obama signed the guidelines, in May 2013, the administration released a brief “fact sheet” on procedures and criteria for such operations that were drawn from the classified version.

Those rules included “near certainty” that the terrorist target was present and that no civilians would be injured or killed, that the target posed a “continuing and imminent” threat to Americans, that capture was not feasible, and that all relevant domestic and international laws were obeyed.

Since then, the president has made clear that he anticipates the more detailed, newly declassified procedures will govern future administrations. “My hope is, is that by the time I leave office, there is not only an internal structure in place that governs these standards that we’ve set, but there is also an institutionalized process” to increase transparency and oversight of lethal action outside war zones abroad.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Ugh oh my god, I don't know where else to unpack this, but I guess my Ex and her friend are like anti feminists? They are talking about how women don't actually get harassed for being women but for being terrible, and its like arguing with a brick wall that thinks plaster is way better.

This discussion has been closed.