As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portend: A Post-Apocalyptic Pirate [Phalla] - Game Over!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Cythraul wrote: »
    I think if the mortuary had been destroyed early this would have been an entirely different game. I for one certainly never, ever would have trusted Obi coming back from the dead with the story he had if it weren't for him repeatedly coming back from the dead green.

Great game either way, thanks Burnage! Do a Matrix one next! ;)

We ran into real trouble when it became immediately clear that sabotage was a waste of time until the builders died... and then one of our saboteurs died.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Congratulations on your win Bliss, and your loss rest-of-the-village.

Personally I thought the game was too much in the village's favour.
    What with:
    - True seeing of attackers
    - Symmetry of roles
    - So many roles that were both easily soft confirmable but which the mafia didn't have.
    - Whatever masoning was going on in the pub

Basically this game was a race between the mafia's kills and the village having enough information to confirm who the mafia was.

I guess the number of kills we wound up with made the game very close but there's was no real social deduction play here. Just pretending to claim and then being found out.

Still, props to WAC for claiming a role that didn't exist and not being called out on it.

This was also why we tried to kill Obifett on the penultimate night.
    It was the only path available to us that didn't necessarily doom WAC.
    Anything else would have either showed his colour on the kill feed or let Obi call him out immediately.

I also still think that Obi was our best chance at victory and that all the villagers should have ditched working with the village network as soon as he mentioned that everyone who died became anti-village.

It depends on if the dead village really would have won if the pirates were eliminated. Since it sounds like the dead village won with the village I imagine that we would NOT have won if the mafia won. Will depend on what @Burnage says of course but that seems to make sense to me.

Basing what you do on post-game rules changes is impossible.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I think if the mortuary had been destroyed early this would have been an entirely different game. I for one certainly never, ever would have trusted Obi coming back from the dead with the story he had if it weren't for him repeatedly coming back from the dead green.

Blame kime for this.
    He killed one of our building sappers on the second night :(

How was I supposed to know!

I just picked someone on the last page who had voted for me near the end of the day. That's basically all I do for targets ever :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

What with:
    - Symmetry of roles
    - So many roles that were both easily soft confirmable but which the mafia didn't have.

Basically this game was a race between the mafia's kills and the village having enough information to confirm who the mafia was.

I guess the number of kills we wound up with made the game very close but there's was no real social deduction play here. Just pretending to claim and then being found out.

Still, props to WAC for claiming a role that didn't exist and not being called out on it.

Anything else would have either showed his colour on the kill feed or let Obi call him out immediately.

I also still think that Obi was our best chance at victory and that all the villagers should have ditched working with the village network as soon as he mentioned that everyone who died became anti-village.

It depends on if the dead village really would have won if the pirates were eliminated. Since it sounds like the dead village won with the village I imagine that we would NOT have won if the mafia won. Will depend on what @Burnage says of course but that seems to make sense to me.

I'd argue so is basing it on theoretical wincon changes during. Sorry, Impossible no, but ill advised.

JPants on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    You couldn't just let me live.

You had to kill me.

Bugger.

Thanks for running burnage
    Burnage wrote: »
    The Pirates of Portend are victorious and the ghosts of the fallen rest easy.

The last part makes me think that all the dead villagers won anyway.
    Hopefully that concern has been laid to rest now that you know you actually won with your original win condition, too.

I think you're right. And if so that makes everything a whole lot more interesting. Does that mean the people that died would win no matter what? If the village won, the dead villagers win with the village. If the village lost, well that was the Ghost wincon so hey, they win again!

I think this game definitely falls under the "it's the journey, not the destination, that matters" so it probably doesn't matter much, but am still curious.

Also, @ObiFett did any of my last ditch efforts before death make any difference? This is purely an ego question.

last ditch efforts? If you mean your info dump to keep the village on track before you died then yes, you were a huge help

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Thanks Burnage! Super fun game!

Still cracking up that my mistake on day 1 (getting home right before vote close, jumping on the kime bandwagon, not realizing we had a kill aimed at kime) caused so much village confusion.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    You couldn't just let me live.

You had to kill me.

Bugger.

Thanks for running burnage
    The Pirates of Portend are victorious and the ghosts of the fallen rest easy.

The last part makes me think that all the dead villagers won anyway.
    Hopefully that concern has been laid to rest now that you know you actually won with your original win condition, too.

I think you're right. And if so that makes everything a whole lot more interesting. Does that mean the people that died would win no matter what? If the village won, the dead villagers win with the village. If the village lost, well that was the Ghost wincon so hey, they win again!

I think this game definitely falls under the "it's the journey, not the destination, that matters" so it probably doesn't matter much, but am still curious.

Also, @ObiFett did any of my last ditch efforts before death make any difference? This is purely an ego question.

last ditch efforts? If you mean your info dump to keep the village on track before you died then yes, you were a huge help

Rockin'. It felt last ditch with that stupid Spam filter on PM's.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

What with:
    - Symmetry of roles

If the mafia won, the ghosts would have won with them - the final narration might have implied that it was a "bad" ending, however.

• Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Still cracking up that my mistake on day 1 (getting home right before vote close, jumping on the kime bandwagon, not realizing we had a kill aimed at kime) caused so much village confusion.

@WACriminal is a clever player then. Claiming busdriver was super smart because busdriving was the only excuse that made sense as to why that happened.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I think this was one game where just based on the thread conversation and votes I did a really good job of picking out who the Mafia were (which I told folks in PMs). I had discrider, aura, WAcriminal, and chamberlain - the only one I was wrong about was MrT

I even wrote Obi a paragraph before I died about why I thought corvidae was village

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

My God I did my best to spin gold from the straw of that horseshit, lol.

• Options

What with:
    - Symmetry of roles

I'd argue so is basing it on theoretical wincon changes during. Sorry, Impossible no, but ill advised.

Theoretical?
    Obifett, who had no reason to lie, told you all what would happen.
    I'm not sure why the village would continue to doubt someone who died green that much.
    And given that is the case, if Obifett is beyond doubt, then that wincon change becomes a bit stronger than theoretical.
    Especially as it makes no sense for Obi to construct a fake dead wincon that endangers his own wincon.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I had snuck some less-bad orders (I think?) in at like 9:45, too. I logged in after close and went "What?!"

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wild game. Wanted to see the village win, and I'm glad for it(even though my voice meant zilch, heh). Thanks for running, Burnage.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

We ran into real trouble when it became immediately clear that sabotage was a waste of time until the builders died... and then one of our saboteurs died.

It wasn't a complete waste of time, to be fair - on the second night you could have taken out the Cave, since all the builders were focused on fixing up the Mortuary.

I'll hold my hand up and say that either the Mortuary should have been 5 HP, or your Destroy ability should have been passed on in death. Maybe both.

• Options
    Also, here's a fun fact; I was this close to having the resurrection artifact that corvidae used on ObiFett change alignments as well, to a second serial killer.

That would have massively fucked things up for the village.

• Options

What with:
    - Symmetry of roles

Theoretical?
    Obifett, who had no reason to lie, told you all what would happen.
    I'm not sure why the village would continue to doubt someone who died green that much.
    And given that is the case, if Obifett is beyond doubt, then that wincon change becomes a bit stronger than theoretical.
    Especially as it makes no sense for Obi to construct a fake dead wincon that endangers his own wincon.

As in hasn't happened yet. Thoeretical was the wrong word. Sorry, one of those brain fry-y days at work

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    @I needed a gnome to post. so were you just screwing with me on the dead boards that last day?

I mean if so then you succeeded because I almost went crazy these past couple hours.

My greatest strength has never been telling the truth.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    If dead village win with the village, I literally have no complaints about this game. That was going to be my one thing, having to win or lose based on one day since I got eliminated the next to last day.

Also, sorry about burning down the bar. In my defense, I was sooooo drunk.

• Options
    Cultist board: http://grog.freeforums.net/

None of the other admins wanted to post it :P

• Options
    edited August 2016
    So, here was a spreadsheet I was using to track stuff: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1onxc6sAW9ogSUrEEPFWsVjMqSlSQ7_g5GEs9gtTQBR4/edit#gid=1519396110

That third tab called "Video Code?" was me staring into the mouth of madness. It was after Gizzy ghost posted a video (which was 7 of 28). Discrider had done the same the previous day as well. I was convinced that you guys were sending information by code to the mafia through these video ghost posts. This tab was me trying different ways of ordering the playerbase to figure out the code. Check out this conversation I had with Ahava about it:
    ObiFett
    oh, and we've had consistent ghost posts containing just a single video since I revealed that the dead are being run by the mafia. Its a code. This last one was the 7th video from a playlist of 26 videos.

That would be corvidae if we sorted the players by alphabetical order and took out the mafia we know about. I'm losing my mind over here.

ObiFett
    which would clear corvidae because that would be code that they are going to vote corvidae out...

ObiFett
    Or it would be Bliss if we just go by the signup list

ObiFett
    If they start voting Bliss I guess I'll know. Let me see if I can crack the other video codes.

TINFOIL HAT TIME

lonelyahava
    oh i know that you're not.

but if you were

I don't think I could be pissed

ObiFett
    I'm gonna reveal in thread tomorrow morning that I am still alive. Trying a few more plays to see if I can get the final mafia revealed.

ObiFett
    hm, that playlist had 2 videos deleted

numbers 2 and 27 out of originally 28 videos. 35 players in the game: 1 sk, 6 mafia, 28 villagers. 28 videos.

and that video is number 8 if we are counting the 2 deleted videos.

I gotta be able to figure this out.

lonelyahava
    i it possible the videos are a red herring?

ObiFett
    nah, I guarantee its how they are communicating who they are gonna vote for. Way too coincidental that players who were long dead did ghost posts with videos the day after I reveal that the dead board is run by mafia

lonelyahava
    hmmm

see

i was thinking that was just them being dead on the dead board.

dunno why i thought they'd be voting outtheir own

Obifett
    I don't think its a way to make sure they aren't voting out their own, I think its to make sure that the mafia don't kill someone that they are voting for. Kind of a coordination thing

ObiFett
    yeah, I am overthinking this

staring at the sun too long and starting to see spots

lonelyahava
    that seems kinda meta

it would require the living mafia to kno about it and remember it. would have taken a LOT of coordination early on

which is possible, i suppose, but seems far fetched?

ObiFett
    nah, all theyd have to do is post a list on their mafia boards.

Then the dead mafia could see the list (since they still have access to the mafia boards) and have any of the dead communicate a number back in their ghost posts.

ObiFett
    this could have been coordinated midgame

I then spent like an hour looking at it and trying to figure out how this was going to tell me which two people you guys were gonna vote out that night.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Also, the cultists got to keep talking to each other after half of us were dead.
    Not that we announced that.
    Didn't need you all just infodumping to the thread.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    ha ha a code

we just had private PMs to decide who to vote, you dork

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ha ha a code

I didn't think you had a way to get that information back to the mafia though. I thought that the dead mafia could just see the mafia boards but had no way to communicate back to the alive mafia

hence, video code insanity

• Options

So, here was a spreadsheet I was using to track stuff: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1onxc6sAW9ogSUrEEPFWsVjMqSlSQ7_g5GEs9gtTQBR4/edit#gid=1519396110

That third tab called "Video Code?" was me staring into the mouth of madness. It was after Gizzy ghost posted a video (which was 7 of 28). Discrider had done the same the previous day as well. I was convinced that you guys were sending information by code to the mafia through these video ghost posts. This tab was me trying different ways of ordering the playerbase to figure out the code. Check out this conversation I had with Ahava about it:
    ObiFett
    oh, and we've had consistent ghost posts containing just a single video since I revealed that the dead are being run by the mafia. Its a code. This last one was the 7th video from a playlist of 26 videos.

That would be corvidae if we sorted the players by alphabetical order and took out the mafia we know about. I'm losing my mind over here.

ObiFett
    which would clear corvidae because that would be code that they are going to vote corvidae out...

ObiFett

ObiFett
    If they start voting Bliss I guess I'll know. Let me see if I can crack the other video codes.

TINFOIL HAT TIME

lonelyahava

but if you were

ObiFett
    I'm gonna reveal in thread tomorrow morning that I am still alive. Trying a few more plays to see if I can get the final mafia revealed.

ObiFett

numbers 2 and 27 out of originally 28 videos. 35 players in the game: 1 sk, 6 mafia, 28 villagers. 28 videos.

lonelyahava

ObiFett
    nah, I guarantee its how they are communicating who they are gonna vote for. Way too coincidental that players who were long dead did ghost posts with videos the day after I reveal that the dead board is run by mafia

lonelyahava
    hmmm

see

Obifett
    I don't think its a way to make sure they aren't voting out their own, I think its to make sure that the mafia don't kill someone that they are voting for. Kind of a coordination thing

ObiFett

lonelyahava
    that seems kinda meta

it would require the living mafia to kno about it and remember it. would have taken a LOT of coordination early on

ObiFett

Then the dead mafia could see the list (since they still have access to the mafia boards) and have any of the dead communicate a number back in their ghost posts.

ObiFett

I then spent like an hour looking at it and trying to figure out how this was going to tell me which two people you guys were gonna vote out that night.

Did you watch my video?
    It was a ghost pirate asking his dead skeleton crewman whether they were happy about being killed by him and joining his crew.
    I thought it was a perfectly thematic ghost post, but it required me to rip it from the new Monkey Island.

I'm not sure what other code I'd put in there that would be decipherable.
    Last and the only time it was first 3 letters of a person's name.

• Options
    I even said on the death board that it would take a while for me to rip it from the game...

• Options
    edited August 2016

ObiFett

ObiFett

ObiFett

ObiFett

TINFOIL HAT TIME

lonelyahava

but if you were

ObiFett

ObiFett

lonelyahava

ObiFett

lonelyahava
    hmmm

see

Obifett

ObiFett

lonelyahava
    that seems kinda meta

ObiFett

ObiFett

Did you watch my video?
    It was a ghost pirate asking his dead skeleton crewman whether they were happy about being killed by him and joining his crew.
    I thought it was a perfectly thematic ghost post, but it required me to rip it from the new Monkey Island.

See I thought that Gizzy had messed up by posting the playlist.

My theory was that the mafia on their boards posted a playlist of videos equal to the number of village players with each villager assigned to a video. You guys would then post the video that corresponded to the villager you were gonna vote out. I thought you just posted a video that matched the one you wanted from previous day's playlist and that Gizzy instead posted the video from the actual playlist which caused the playlist to be posted and was her mistake.

Again, mouth of madness.

edit: oh and yes I watched your video and then I tried to search youtube for any playlist that contained anything remotely similar to your video. :rotate:

ObiFett on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, it gives me great satisfaction to know that as crazy as you made us, you seem to have been driven even crazier.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Watching Obi was basically my favorite part of this entire game.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

ObiFett

ObiFett

ObiFett

ObiFett

TINFOIL HAT TIME

lonelyahava

but if you were

ObiFett

ObiFett

lonelyahava

ObiFett

lonelyahava
    hmmm

see

Obifett

ObiFett

lonelyahava
    that seems kinda meta

ObiFett

ObiFett

Did you watch my video?

My theory was that the mafia on their boards posted a playlist of videos equal to the number of village players with each villager assigned to a video. You guys would then post the video that corresponded to the villager you were gonna vote out. I thought you just posted a video that matched the one you wanted from previous day's playlist and that Gizzy instead posted the video from the actual playlist which caused the playlist to be posted and was her mistake.

Again, mouth of madness.

edit: oh and yes I watched your video and then I tried to search youtube for any playlist that contained anything remotely similar to your video. :rotate:

Well yes.
    If the video had been easily searchable I wouldn't have had to rip it from the game.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Obi was pretty close to losing it with that one.

was kinda funny/scary, tbh.

• Options

ObiFett

ObiFett

ObiFett

ObiFett

TINFOIL HAT TIME

lonelyahava

but if you were

ObiFett

ObiFett

lonelyahava

ObiFett

lonelyahava
    hmmm

see

Obifett

ObiFett

lonelyahava
    that seems kinda meta

ObiFett

ObiFett

Did you watch my video?

Again, mouth of madness.

Well yes.
    If the video had been easily searchable I wouldn't have had to rip it from the game.

I assumed you were lying about having to rip it from the game

I basically assumed everything I could see on those dead boards were a lie.

• Options
    Well if it had been a lie, I would've posted the original Monkey Island so :rotate:

• Options
    After this game, Obi is basically going to be what they accuse Angel of being in Hot Fuzz. A tense cop fresh in from the big city where there's a gun in every house and a murder on every street, certain that things are the same in his new small town.

Except instead of guns, it's dead player proboards.

And instead of murder, it's Athans.

BurnagePhalla.

• Options
    Well if it had been a lie, I would've posted the original Monkey Island so :rotate:

Again, I admit I was being crazy

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    After this game, Obi is basically going to be what they accuse Angel of being in Hot Fuzz. A tense cop fresh in from the big city where there's a gun in every house and a murder on every street, certain that things are the same in his new small town.

Except instead of guns, it's dead player proboards.

And instead of murder, it's Athans.

BurnagePhalla.

... narp?

• Options
    ha ha a code

I didn't think you had a way to get that information back to the mafia though. I thought that the dead mafia could just see the mafia boards but had no way to communicate back to the alive mafia

hence, video code insanity

There was definitely a code in my video
    The code is "I <3 Lonely Island"

• Options
    Seriously @Burnage thank you so much for running this. I had a blast.

• Options
    Seriously @Burnage thank you so much for running this. I had a blast.

Couldn't agree more!

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Not counting Phalla Royale, this must be the first Phalla in many many years where I lived to the end. Being the sole survivor, I guess I'll start calling myself The Pirate of Portend. I will tour the seven seas, and at every port I'll tell the tale of how the mostly evil dead returned in Portend.

Thanks for running this, Burnage. I had a great time! I also thought this was pretty well balanced. The mechanics favored the village a little, but the village had to figure out the mechanics first, so I think it pretty much evens out.

MSL59.jpg