Options

Completely unprepared for [chat]

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    "I talked to my OB and he didn't even KNOW about reiki. I almost didn't keep my next appointment..." (other woman nods sympathetically)

is this real life????
    Is she giving birth to a golem?

I know not this reference

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    and you're all doing the thing where you line item every aspect of one side and only consider the initial purchase cost of the other side

robot employees require maintenance

in a dusty warehouse, probably constant maintenance

Dang, I have relevant experience here. We bought a waterjet table a couple years ago. It was $120k. It's incredible, you tell it piece shape, size, number, whatever, it cuts a 16x24 sheet of product into amazing designs. Push button, get cut pastries.

Until someone hits the USB port where you upload programs and snaps it off. Custom piece. $85. 3 days downtime.

Or one of the stepper motors goes bad. Also custom. $750. 4 days from Spain.

The water filter has to be replaced monthly. $60.

Someone dropped a stack of pans on one of the cutting surfaces, it's a removable metal frame with very thin blades crisscrossing. $600.

The nozzles for it are $40 apiece. They last about 10 hours.

At 1000 hours, the pump requires a full rebuild. $10,000 in parts and labor to have someone do that.

sounds like you should fire the human workforce at your plant because it's costing you stupid amounts of money to fix their fuckups

Which is sort of funny, because I work in an industry that has... regressed? Progressed? Baking went from being entirely done by hand, to almost completely mechanized, and now the "artisan" baking industry has had a massive resurgence.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I'm not even exactly sure what you all were debating. It seems to be the specific cost within a relatively narrow range for a piece of machinery to be cost effective for replacing an employee.

But that can't be right.

That would be a ridiculous argument to have.

well, yes

what other kind of argument have we ever had here

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So 40k for replacing a single worker, does the robot do more than one person's work? Does it replace two employees on different shifts?

What are the variables here?

How many shifts is the warehouse open for? Could it be open 24/7?

Seems like if you're doing a 1:1 comparison that a 12/hr worker just barely eeks out above a 50k/yr robot worker. Barely. And only 1. If you start asking the worker to work 10 hour days, not only are you now paying more than the robot, but you're also fucking over your worker because they will not perform as well, so there's some diminishing returns.

What are my rules for this theorycraft, someone help me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    add in payroll taxes as well i suppose, maybe another $5k

but we're not approaching $50k/employee
    Oooo employee costing.

So we'll take the $12 an hour base.
    Then we have to add in fringe (benefits and taxes). About 30% for a US Company that only gives the minimal amount of fucks to keep employees.
    Then we have overhead, roughly 20%.
    Then we have G&A, roughly 7% for a manufacturing company.
    12*1.30*1.20*1.07
    Burdened labor rate is $20.03
    20.03*1944= ~39k per person.

drops the mic.

there i win
    This is the internet. Did you really win?

i said i did didn't i

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Is she giving birth to Gollum?
    Is she giving birth to Goyim?
    Is she giving birth to Gillian Anderson?

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    "I talked to my OB and he didn't even KNOW about reiki. I almost didn't keep my next appointment..." (other woman nods sympathetically)

is this real life????

that poor child

yeah holy crap

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    ugh

they have implemented a new employee development plan thing at work

i am now trying to come up with goals

what is this shit

I do that every year.

Goal 1: Take a class in something

Goal 2: Take another class

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

is this real life????

I bet a golem baby would need crystals to help it birth.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ugh

what is this shit

Goal 1: Generate Goals

Report: Goal Achieved.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    None of this matters anyway, because someone's going to create a realistic fuckbot and the world will end.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Basically what you are all saying is in the future we will all be:

0eu7kspzczb7.png
    I plan on going in a different direction.

futurama_1_4_08.jpg

• Options

is this real life????

I bet a golem baby would need crystals to help it birth.

oh hm that does make some sense

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Chanus, robots may not make sense to replace employees in your particular shop right now.

But the shops where it does make sense are going to be positioned to price you out of business.

nah

it doesn't make sense in my entire industry because we aren't a 24 hour service

because the customers we serve are not open 24 hours

I don't know your vertical, but if no one is serving 24 hours, sounds like a market space ripe for expanding into.
    life isn't actually a y-combinator startup pitch, you're not a business guru, and everybody would notice low-hanging fruit if it was really that low hanging

if it were profitable for an industry to go 24 hours it would have long before our robot overlords appeared

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Just make robots to fix robots and also have a robot hr department and robot payroll.

I don't know how it is in the US but here payroll handling is increasingly tipping towards automation, mostly as a consequence of HMRC's insistence on ever more frequent and comprehensive data

At present companies are no longer permitted to perform manual payroll calculations, they must be carried out using software that interfaces with HMRC systems

I'm wondering how long it'll be before they just say "fuck it", implement their own payroll processing package that requires nothing but low skilled data entry and mandate its use

(Payroll software is awful)

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    also speaking of if any of you are looking for a career change and want to make some bank in like 5 years, but also will only have a job until self-driving cars are ubiquitous, the average age for an autobody repair person is like 52 years old and increasing

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    ugh

what is this shit

please review this 45 slide deck on our pillars and masteries and competencies and align to your leadership opportunity areas

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    also speaking of if any of you are looking for a career change and want to make some bank in like 5 years, but also will only have a job until self-driving cars are ubiquitous, the average age for an autobody repair person is like 52 years old and increasing

For real I wish I had stuck with auto repair like I originally wanted to do.

I wanted to just go to trade school and become a mechanic. Parents pushed for college.

I'd be so goddamn rich right now.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    Just make robots to fix robots and also have a robot hr department and robot payroll.

I don't know how it is in the US but here payroll handling is increasingly tipping towards automation, mostly as a consequence of HMRC's insistence on ever more frequent and comprehensive data

At present companies are no longer permitted to perform manual payroll calculations, they must be carried out using software that interfaces with HMRC systems

I'm wondering how long it'll be before they just say "fuck it", implement their own payroll processing package that requires nothing but low skilled data entry and mandate its use

(Payroll software is awful)

Payroll software is legitimately the biggest pile of unusable bullshit I've ever seen in my life, and that's saying something

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    ugh

what is this shit

I hate this.

So you have two choices.

Make up generic goals now.

Take specific things you were doing already and will be doing and write those as goals since you will finish them anyway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So 40k for replacing a single worker, does the robot do more than one person's work? Does it replace two employees on different shifts?

Seems like if you're doing a 1:1 comparison that a 12/hr worker just barely eeks out above a 50k/yr robot worker. Barely. And only 1. If you start asking the worker to work 10 hour days, not only are you now paying more than the robot, but you're also fucking over your worker because they will not perform as well, so there's some diminishing returns.

i don't think a robot could realistically pull orders in a warehouse significantly faster than a human

not just like some john henry shit but like logistically

their main advantage is being able to work longer, not faster

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    ugh

what is this shit

Asked and answered

• Options

i don't think a robot could realistically pull orders in a warehouse significantly faster than a human

not just like some john henry shit but like logistically

their main advantage is being able to work longer, not faster

WHAT ARE THE VARIABLES AND RULES CHANUS

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

is this real life????

Amherst lol

I mean I am a fan of hippies but sometimes it's a bit much

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I mean for automation and the end of our work force where is @Donkey Kong to tell us we are all screwed?

Factory jobs are dead. Gone. Workers are being replaced by robots even overseas. The robots are in factories already, they're cheaper than humans and they do a better job. Every year they take more and more jobs. It's just a matter of time before every manufacturing plant is run by a skeleton screw that pushes a button and calls techs when the red light flashes. I give it 5 years for tech, 15 years for everything.

Logististics is gone. Baggage handling, warehousing, bin picking, packing, and shipping are headed all automated. I give it a decade at best.

Commercial driving is gone. Automation has a proof of concept and the gains in efficiency and safety are massive. I give it 15 years before manned delivery trucks are a rarity.

The jobs are going away and I hope society is ready because it's already happening.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Also we're never going to get to a point where a robot passes the turing test when it comes to customer service.

I mean of all of us, who doesn't just shout "OPERATOR" angrily into a phone when you call for support until some stooge answers?

• Options
    ugh

what is this shit

I hate this.

So you have two choices.

Make up generic goals now.

Take specific things you were doing already and will be doing and write those as goals since you will finish them anyway.

the latter is usually the best move

these things are frequently stealth winnowing tools, and if you didn't make your goals you'll be on probation

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Chanus, robots may not make sense to replace employees in your particular shop right now.

But the shops where it does make sense are going to be positioned to price you out of business.

nah

I don't know your vertical, but if no one is serving 24 hours, sounds like a market space ripe for expanding into.
    life isn't actually a y-combinator startup pitch, you're not a business guru, and everybody would notice low-hanging fruit if it was really that low hanging

if it were profitable for an industry to go 24 hours it would have long before our robot overlords appeared

Don't most states have labor laws requiring extra pay for 2nd and 3rd shift?

If so, I could see cases existing on the margin, where 24 hours isn't worth it for human labor but worth it for robots

Theoretically

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    When the first human protest happens because a factory has gone full-robot, that's when we're living in the future.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »

is this real life????

Amherst lol

I mean I am a fan of hippies but sometimes it's a bit much

I'm actually in Northampton rn but

yeah 9-9

oh god they just left they were in here for like 20 minutes

• Options
    I mean for automation and the end of our work force where is "Donkey Kong" to tell us we are all screwed?

Factory jobs are dead. Gone. Workers are being replaced by robots even overseas. The robots are in factories already, they're cheaper than humans and they do a better job. Every year they take more and more jobs. It's just a matter of time before every manufacturing plant is run by a skeleton screw that pushes a button and calls techs when the red light flashes. I give it 5 years for tech, 15 years for everything.

Logististics is gone. Baggage handling, warehousing, bin picking, packing, and shipping are headed all automated. I give it a decade at best.

Commercial driving is gone. Automation has a proof of concept and the gains in efficiency and safety are massive. I give it 15 years before manned delivery trucks are a rarity.

The jobs are going away and I hope society is ready because it's already happening.

it really is just a matter of cost at this point and once that price point tips, we're p fucked

• Options
    When the first human protest happens because a factory has gone full-robot, that's when we're living in the future.

it'll be great when they storm in and pillage the warehouse because what do you have to lose at that point

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »

nah

Pfft, that's what people thought about the transportation industry until Uber was invented. :smugface:

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Its not self driving cars that kills this. If they are internal combustion engines they still need the same amount of mechanic work.

Its electric cars that kill this because electric engines are simple as shit compared to internal combustion engines.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

is this real life????

Our OB wasn't even a divine caster. Some sort of skill - based class or something.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i think we need to inception a certain someone

i've figured it outttt yessss i'm going to save the country

poo
  • Options
    it's actually amazing how quickly the automotive repair industry has changed in just the last 5-10 years

used to be guys would repair the damaged part, or take an imperfect replacement and fix that

now GEICO and other insurers are requiring these 1-day or same-day turnaround times for jobs, and so all parts have to be pristine and basically in paint and snap-on condition

we throw away and recycle so much material that just 5 years ago would have been used

• Options
    I feel the NRA is falling down on the job, they haven't submitted any kind of outline for a path to man-portable EMP weapons, to protect our jobs from the coming robot scourge.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I mean for automation and the end of our work force where is @Donkey Kong to tell us we are all screwed?

I mean, society obviously isn't ready

The Orange Man is a good indicator of that

I think the only real question now is whether people get comfortable with expansive socialism or every automation engineer and software developer ends up ripped limb from limb French Revolution style

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    One interesting side effect is that the comprehensibility of payroll calculations is no longer a strong influence on the design of the tax system, since they're not being carried out by harassed payroll clerks liable to get them wrong a significant proportion of the time.

But it does make them tricky to audit after the fact.

This discussion has been closed.