Options

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you see a lot of people go hard on souls lore primarily because it's told in a method that is unique to video games and which other video games don't really do, so it winds up scratching an itch for folks that nothing else is

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    I like how Dan had a puppy for less than a week and he's already asking questions about being a parent.

I mean he doesnt seem to really grasp the concept of children

I love the guy but I'm honestly not sure he really grasps the concept of anything other than like...pro wrestling.

Kids dont fully listen when they learn to talk???

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    What the fuck is Anime Month and where do I go to get Anime'd

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Heh, I got that email today too. The "Anime ME" button leads here.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeesh. Today's quick look/unfinished for this Ruction game was...well, the game looks rough and it felt like the kind of thing that would show up on Jim Sterling's show.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I was waiting for the dev to turn up in the comments, attack GB, and then sue.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    SteevL wrote: »
    Yeesh. Today's quick look/unfinished for this Ruction game was...well, the game looks rough and it felt like the kind of thing that would show up on Jim Sterling's show.

I loved the video, it was a good time.

But I am super torn.

Jeff just did a long stream detailing games on steam that noone is ever going to see played, and there not even out of early access yet. That one game was by a proven developer, cost 20(30) dollars and had 200 players in its leaderboard. The pile of garbage is strong with steam already, there surely is piles of games that are worth their time to show us, but GB has sunk cost on Vinny playing that pile so we got to see it.

It's super demoralizing as someone who wants to put out a game someday that people would actually have fun playing. I kind of gave up on the idea when I saw the floodgates open, its well past hit "have to already have a presence to be a presence" status.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    a

I loved the video, it was a good time.

But I am super torn.

Jeff just did a long stream detailing games on steam that noone is ever going to see played, and there not even out of early access yet. That one game was by a proven developer, cost 20(30) dollars and had 200 players in its leaderboard. The pile of garbage is strong with steam already, there surely is piles of games that are worth their time to show us, but GB has sunk cost on Vinny playing that pile so we got to see it.

It's super demoralizing as someone who wants to put out a game someday that people would actually have fun playing. I kind of gave up on the idea when I saw the floodgates open, its well past hit "have to already have a presence to be a presence" status.

Yeah, the period of time right after kickstarter and greenlight got big to now was super demoralizing to any dream I had of maybe one-day making indie games.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Perfect Vinny content.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    In 20 minutes Vinny both fell out of the world and had to restart the game, and was warped through multiple walls and permanently crushed into a cliff face by an unseen hand.

The man has a gift.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I wonder how much money a company could save if they fire all their QA testers and just hire Vinny.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Today's GBE playdate was pretty good
    2918741-strut.gif

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Proof there is someone out there for everyone:

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So he is already engaged and has a dog, I imagine it won't be long before we have a little Dan Jr on the horizon.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    So he is already engaged and has a dog, I imagine it won't be long before we have a little Diesel Nash Ryckert on the horizon.

Fixed for a more likely name.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Cheesy Gordita Crunch Ryckert

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    #Brands Ryckert

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Stephen Austin Ryckert

And of COURSE Taco Bell opens a chapel right when Dan is preparing to get married, because Dan Ryckert is Kramer.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That dead-serious conviction in his eyes at the end scares the ever-loving fuck out of me

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    That dead-serious conviction in his eyes at the end scares the ever-loving fuck out of me

In the initial preview image, Bianca's face is basically 'yes he's an idiot, but he's my idiot'

In the final freeze frame image, the two of them have Natural Born Killer serial murderer eyes.

Match made in heaven.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Bianca sells that video. That is some funny shit.

Guys, GBwest is just fucking depressing at this point. Go and listen to just the the first 3 minutes of the Bombcast against the Beastcast. It's sad how little effort and enthusiasm there is from Brad Vs Vinny and the gang. It just feels like there's absolutely no chemistry with the west coast crew. They've been married so long now that the Bombcast feels like regularly scheduled monthly sex for an old couple that hates each other.

Jason and Drew feel like they try to amp up the energy but they're trying to revive a corpse at this point. Jeff is still great but it really feels like Brad just isn't fucking trying anymore.

Again, I know there is more to their jobs than the podcast/video content. But it you're main draw is video content then you need to find a way to be entertaining. Brad needs a new Bloodborne or something to do another platinum run.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Like I said a bit ago, they need to have guests on more often, and especially guests that work really well with Jeff and his game preservation stuff. I'd love to see them have Steve Lin or Frank Cifaldi on.

In any case, with games like Horizon, Mass Effect, and Zelda coming soon, I think they'll be back to excitedly talking about newer games and keeping everyone engaged.

• Options
    I like the retro talk but too much of it is...too much.

I seriously don't think it's about content/games. It's about the chemistry - and there really is none.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    You gotta assume the new hire hiring process has begun, right?

edit: Jeff said that he was waiting till after the new year.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I like the retro talk but too much of it is...too much.

I seriously don't think it's about content/games. It's about the chemistry - and there really is none.

Yeah, honestly I haven't really listened to the main Bombcast all the way through in...quite a while now. It's all about the Beastcast these days. Which is too bad, because on an individual basis I love listening to Drew and Jeff talk about whatever gets them excited, but as a group it just isn't meshing anymore, like you said. Meanwhile, I would never ever listen to a Dan-centric podcast for example, but the slot he fills on the Beastcast is nearly perfect.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Apparently drew is a meme now

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I know it's old hat to gripe about, but how do you run a website about video games and not know something like the release date for Zelda on the Wii U? I have a full time non-video game job and a family, I have no intention of buying a Switch (nor do I have a Wii U), I follow games as a hobby and an enthusiast while playing maybe 4-5 a year, and I know this stuff but a whole crew of industry veterans is just oblivious?

Bombcast has been dire for a while now. I wish we could have had the best of both worlds and had Austin stay at Beast AND had Dan move to Beast. I really like Austin and wish him the best but Waypoint is a boring echo chamber.

I personally hope that Beast in the East just becomes the defacto Japanese game playthrough feature. Shuttle right into Persona 5 after you're done with Yakuza.

• Options
    Eh, when it's just one date amid dozens every month, for years and years on end, I imagine it all starts to flow together. I'm semi interested in the new Zelda, but I've no idea when it's out and I'm not getting it until I've read reviews, so who cares.

• Options
    Well, a lot of people care and it's data that even a modicum of effort would bring to bare.

It just sounds like Brad doesn't give a fuck which is making me not give a fuck about listening.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Just checking, but during that section at the beginning Brad's mic died, hence him not talking at all. You can see them scrambling around trying to rewire a new one in the video version. Jeff was basically trying to keep filling dead air while they worked on it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I know. I'm not talking specifically about the last Bombcast. Take 3 minutes from any of the past 12 Bombcasts and my statement still stands (IMO).

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I still like the Bombcast a lot. Drew is a treasure and Jeff just knows so much about games. It's not as funny as it used to be since Jeff doesn't have anyone to launch into a hot 97 bit with or anything like that, but it's still good.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Well, a lot of people care and it's data that even a modicum of effort would bring to bare.
    Except the complaint made was that he didn't know it off the top of his head.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I personally hope that Beast in the East just becomes the defacto Japanese game playthrough feature. Shuttle right into Persona 5 after you're done with Yakuza.

I would be all the way down for this IF Persona 5 was Vinny playing with Jeffy B. providing commentary. I honestly don't think Alex or especially Dan would really get into Persona all that much, but the contrast of Vinny's all-in attitude and Jeff's likely inexplicable anger at the whole thing would be just divine.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    It would technically be a new Persona ER featuring Vinny and Jeff

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think the bombcast................is good.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    I think the bombcast................is good.

Beats the pants off of certain other not Giant Bomb gaming podcasts, that's for sure.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I know it's old hat to gripe about, but how do you run a website about video games and not know something like the release date for Zelda on the Wii U?

Because it was announced around the same time as the Switch version; which easily makes it occupy a nebulous place in people's memories and make it pretty easy to second guess oneself.

And they have 99 thousand other things to keep track of, too. They're do more than just play videogames all day, you know.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Glad they seem to be enjoying For Honor - more people should pick that game up it's great.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
This discussion has been closed.