As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

British teacher lets students name bear Muhammad, incures wrath

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Isnt Muhammad the most common name in the world?

What the fuck? I think the entirety of the first world should have a big "riots in the street" flip-out middle-east style next time they do something against us.

Didn't you guys invade Iraq because they did something crazy

Actually, we invaded Iraq beacuse we did something crazy.
    We elected Bush.
    Then we elected him again.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "The Son of Man shall send forth His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth" Matthew 13.41

Jesus seems like a pretty good guy sometimes, but he could absolutely be a dick to anyone who didn't listen to him. Do as I say or you are fucked.

Walrus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    He was nice the first time around, because his goal was to inform people on how to get on the right track and we deserved the benefit of the doubt.

That was roughly 2,000 years ago; We've had more than enough time to straighten up and fly right since then, so anyone who isn't on the right track has literally dug their own grave.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Rey Del AguilaRey Del Aguila __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Homer wrote: »
    Ok, I should never have generalized the whole religion. I am an American, and as such, I am subjected to a lot of media depicting Muslims acting irrationally. Or at least it seems to me to be irrational. I understand that these Sudanese don't represent the entire religion. What I'm having trouble with (and what I've had trouble with regarding all religions throughout my life) is how quickly people are ready to kill when the issue of their religion comes up. Obviously at least one of the posters in this thread so far can completely identify with this urge.

Benevolence is something I feel is very important in any worthwhile God. (there I go being an ass again, sorry) Anything less is only playing into the dark human nature that I've always thought religion was meant to subdue. This is just another example of why I've always been turned off by religion. Everyone claims that the lack of religion causes the degradation of morals, but from what I've seen, it's very good at providing excuses to kill innocent people. How do fanatics reconcile all this?

Edit: I spell checked this time. Thanks for catching my many mistakes before.

Religion is inherently irrational, so anyone acting based on their religious beliefs is acting irrationally. What's so fucked up is that this woman was imprisoned for doing something that they think is prohibited by their religion but actually isn't at all. If anything, it's the people who imprisoned her who broke their religious laws because in so-doing they imply that Mohamed is a divinity (ie god-like).

It's like a perfect religion, where all the pretense of having a divinely proscribed set of rules is thrown out the window and they are openly and actively making it up as they go along.

People don't need religion to give them a reason to kill. Anything will do.

Rey Del Aguila on
    Because you know who SAID you know what with you know who, let's keep that between me and you.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's rather stupid to blame religion for violent behavior. There are some religious types who think that the lack of religion in one's life leads to violence and immoral behavior.

Faith, or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with any of it. How a person is raised has a bigger impact on how violent a person can be, as well as how much self-control any given person will have, reguardless of what they were taught to believe in.

It's no different than blaming violence on video games, and it's all bullshit.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Rey Del AguilaRey Del Aguila __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    It's rather stupid to blame religion for violent behavior. There are some religious types who think that the lack of religion in one's life leads to violence and immoral behavior.

Faith, or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with any of it. How a person is raised has a bigger impact on how violent a person can be, as well as how much self-control any given person will have, reguardless of what they were taught to believe in.

I feel like the word faith is sullied every it is used the way you used it here. I know what you mean and I know you didn't mean to do that but faith, to me actually has a meaning it is a verb not an affiliation.

Rey Del Aguila on
    Because you know who SAID you know what with you know who, let's keep that between me and you.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I feel like the word faith is sullied every it is used the way you used it here. I know what you mean and I know you didn't mean to do that but faith, to me actually has a meaning it is a verb not an affiliation.

How so?

Marathon on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm going to go faith, guys.

Cuz it's a verb.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also, how does faith lack meaning if it is an affiliation? Which I don't think is how Goatmon was using it anyway.

Marathon on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    im gonna faith up for a while and then go beat up some non-faithers

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Im gonna go pick up a Catholic school girl and faith right in her face.

Marathon on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2007
    i saw the faithest top in topman the other day

bongi on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    You guys wanna faith bikes?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    they see me rollin
    they faithin

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lol! wrote: »
    You guys wanna faith bikes?
    Dude. That's gross.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Air wrote: »
    they see me rollin
    they faithin

tryin' ta catch me faithin dirty

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    I'm going to go faith, guys.

Cuz it's a verb.
    Verbs, they're what you do.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't think I've posted in this thread before today.

Goodbye, thread.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Except that religion can give thousands if not millions a single cause to rally against and murder for. What the fuck were the Crusades? No, it's not stupid to blame religion at all.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I say we nuke tellus from orbit

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »

Except that religion can give thousands if not millions a single cause to rally against and murder for. What the fuck were the Crusades? No, it's not stupid to blame religion at all.

well, to be fair the crusades pretty much happened because of Pope Urban. He told everyone they would be forgiven of all their sins if they went and 'helped their eastern brothers' take back the land they believed was rightfully theirs.

i mean, yeah they did it because of their religion in a way. but really if the pope hadn't said that 'get out of jail free card!', im not sure how the crusades would've went. It was moreso the actions of a select few that persuaded all of that to happen, or politics more then religion itself.

EDIT: but i suppose that's all 'might have's and hypotheticals, so whatever.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    THE POPE IS THE HEAD OF A RELIGION

PEOPLE LISTENED BECAUSE THEY WERE IN THE RELIGION

what is so hard to get?

I don't intent to single out religion as a form of mass control, because it's not alone, but it certainly IS a form of mass control in the hands of those who wish it to be.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    isnt religion a big 'get out of jail free card'

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    eh, i suppose i just don't like people faulting a religion for people's actions. Though maybe i should be a little more specific and not use the word 'religion'. I suppose the word religion comes with it all of the organization of the time and the people that help run a religion. In that since, religion would be the people, not the faith.

Maybe the word I should be using is more akin to what is called Spirituality(god I hate that word). With spirituality it seems to become more about one's personal belief. Ideally this belief would be based on whatever texts they have available to them in which they would interpret themselves - not take another persons interpretation. It is pretty amazing how many people are christian yet have not read the bible.

So maybe i should be saying that the 'spirituality' of islam is not violent at its core and does, in fact, teach tolerance. The 'religion' of islam is perversing the spirituality of it in order to further certain powerful men's agendas.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    if i was talking about teachings i would have said teachings.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

well, religion presents to people the jail and the 'get out of jail free card' at once. and then leaves it up to the person to decide which they would rather prefer.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

well, religion presents to people the jail and the 'get out of jail free card' at once. and then leaves it up to the person to decide which they would rather prefer.

I've read this sentence three times and I'm not any closer to working out what it means.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    if i was talking about teachings i would have said teachings.

thats cool dude, i just thought i would clarify my position a little bit more so that perhaps i could understand yours better. but yeah, i suppose then with those words defined, i would have to agree that religion might support mass control of people for some pretty nasty shit, but the teachings of most religions should not be perversed in such a way.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    bongi wrote: »

I've read this sentence three times and I'm not any closer to working out what it means.

haha hes missing the brilliance
    you dont have to choose between the jail and the card
    they show you the jail while handing you the card

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    bongi wrote: »

well, i guess ill take it from a different angle. some religions don't even have jail, thus there is no get out of jail free card. but some religions aren't even playing monopoly. What i'm trying to say is, not all religions have a clear definition of the afterlife.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    buddah is such a fucking hotel hoarder

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    man, jesus got all of the railroads and broadway.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I want to buy the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and become a Pastafarian.
    Devote some time during my radio shows to preaching the good word of the FSM.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Lol! wrote: »
    I want to buy the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and become a Pastafarian.
    Devote some time during my radio shows to preaching the good word of the FSM.

I have it. It's quite good.

Marathon on
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Guys, would it be fair to say that the more extreme branch of Islam that is quite prevalent in the Middle-East is kind of like pre-reformation Christianity?

Ranx on
  • Options
    TalonTalon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    yeah pretty much

Talon on
    cheesewhizsig.gif
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    After playing assassin's creed, I have more respect for middle eastern culture. Plus, I got to shove a spike through the many, skulls of infidel crusaders.

However, I did get tired of hearing the same old speeches about "christian kings" and the "infidel army" being shouted in the streets, so I usually took the time to punch the dude in the face and go on my merry way. Same thing with those filthy beggars and the plethora of mental patients that seem to walk the streets.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, religion threads are the worst idea ever. So much ignorance on every side. I mean there are a few people here and there that know whats up, but there is so much "lol islams are evil" and "man, can you believe those stupid Christians that try talking to me?" crap going on.

Seriously. On the whole missionary thing, yeah, it is wrong for somebody to harass you about their religion. The normal ones should leave you alone as soon as you say you are not interested. And that is fine. They are just doing what they think is right. After all, according to their religion, they are responsible if you go to hell if they did not try telling you.

Also, as far as Islam is concerned, there is so much freaking misinformation out there and the only experience most Americans have had with it is the most extreme. Extremists on both sides (Both Christianity and Islam) really *are* fucking retarded. Now, I am not saying religion is dumb, but if you are out there advocating the destruction of or violence towards others, you have gotten the message wrong somewhere. Pat Robertson can suck it.

Yeah, religion has in the past been used as a mass control whatever, and that was bad, but there is a lot of good being done in the world by religion. Or is it terrible and bad to feed the poor and build shelters for the homeless? You can't take a religion as a whole anyway, each one has so many different groups with different takes on their faith.

As hilarious as pastafarianism is, calling Christians or Muslims or (insert religion here) idiots and saying they should all fuck off is just as stupid as a bible thumper on a street corner saying you are going to go to hell.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus