As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I went 3-0 with br beatdowns featuring foil Olivia voldaren and 2 white fetches for value

I pulled a Death's Shadow and nothing much else, but otherwise went 1 - 1 - 1 with my decent enough aggro deck. One prize pack.

Molly got 4.

In our 5 total prize packs we got the following:

Arid Mesa
    Verdant Catacombs
    Scalding Tarn
    Liliana of the Veil
    Foil Death's Shadow

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    i also went rb beats but my curve topped out at 6 with a broodmate dreggin that I splashed for and extractor demon/slavedriver

unfortunately I got the round 1 draw vs a really young kid who didn't know the cards very well and thus played p slow and didn't have a chance in game 3 it just took us 45min to get to g3 so my 9 power vs his eventual empty board couldn't close it out in turns

round 1 draw is pretty gross, then it went downhill from there

only real value I got is a blood moon but it's better than nothing

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I did not want to spend $40 to do a 3-2-2-1-1-1-1 draft.

That is my MM3 draft story.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Mo opinion on the layout but the concept seem pretty cool.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    t3TyAn0.jpg?1

Dusk (?) - 2ww
    Sorcery
    Destroy all creatures with power greater or equal to 3

Dawn (?) - 3ww
    Sorcery
    Consequence - Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it.
    Return all creature cards with power less than or equal to 2 from your graveyard to your hand.

Still being confirmed, but that's a pretty wild design.

Sweet Wrath though.

I really hope that's fake, because that is some godawful card layout. There's just no good reason to not just do that as Kamigawa-flip card.

He's put up some follow up shots, looks like they're real.

Point: A card designed like this is very easy to turn sideways and identify in your graveyard at a glance.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    After a brutal 40ish minute game one that I got through just enough damage combined with drains at the end my last round opponent said we were going to go to time and the prize pack would go to breakers but we should play it out for the pack anyway.

Then I beat him on t7 when I curved out to a flashbacked sever the bloodline that wiped his whole board.

The prize pack had a verdant catacombs and it felt good

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Opened Craterhoof, decided to go for it and went GR. Didn't quite get the token producers I wanted, but did get rewarded by opening Goblin Guide in P3.

List looked like this:
    2 Avacyn's Pilgrim
    1 Goblin Guide
    2 Burning-Tree Emissary
    2 Mogg Flunkies
    2 Sylvan Ranger
    1 Tattermunge Witch
    1 Giantbaiting
    2 Rubblebelt Maaka
    1 Scourge Devil
    1 Baloth Cage Trap
    1 Craterhoof Behemoth

1 Dynacharge
    1 Gruul Signet
    1 Explore
    1 Ground Assault
    1 Gaea's Anthem
    1 Gruul War Chant
    1 Thunderous Wrath

1 Gruul Guildgate
    8 Mountain
    8 Forest

Relevant sideboard cards: Seal of Primordium, Sundering Growth, Druid's Deliverance, Penumbra Spider, Skirsdag Cultist, and Scourge Devil #2

Only other rare picked was a 4th-pick Zur out of a garbage pack.

Wound up siding out a land a lot because I couldn't stop drawing them and most of my early drops either produced mana or fetched a land anyway. Brought in the second Devil for it more often than not.

Round 1 ran afoul of 5-color good stuff featuring a mana base of 3 basic lands (1 forest, 1 swamp, 1 plains), Marsh Flats, and a million Guildgates (plus I think an Arcane Sanctum). Most notable feature was an army of 4/4 fliers for 4 (2 Tower Gargoyles, at least one Moroii), two clones (one evil, one illusionary), Fiery Justice (absolutely ruined me in game 2), and at least one Dinrova Horror. Mana issues in game one and Fiery Justice in game two made me unhappy, but I had him dead to a topdecked Thundrous Wrath for a good while but alas no miracles for me.

Round 2 was a near-mirror. He was more Naya and had better token production, but my guys hit harder. We traded games won via overloaded Dynacharges then I "miracled" Craterhoof the turn before he could kill me.

Round 3 I stomped Grixis, although I did lose game 2 thanks to a Vampire Nighthawk that would not stay dead. He blocked my Goblin Guide with it and I snap-2-for-1'd myself by using Rubblebelt Maaka to get that obnoxious thing off the field. Then he used Recover. I forced him to block a pair of lethal 3/xs. Then he hit Torrent of Souls D: . He was still dead to a Thundrous Wrath or Craterhoof for a long time but eventually he added a Sidraxis Specter to his air force and I was drawing literal rocks. Game three I opened on BTE into Gruul Signet, than danced past his blocker with Gruul War Chant. Next turn I deployed Flunkies and a Pilgrim, but he killed the BTE. I then topdecked my second BTE to enable a conspired Giantbaiting to accompany the Flunkies into the red zone for a ton.

Prize packs had a Temporal Mastery and a Boros Reckoner, so not too bad overall.

My wife (in a different pod) built this monstrosity:
    2 Mortician Beetle
    2 Spike Jester
    2 Mudbutton Torchrunner
    1 Vampire Nighthawk
    1 Vampire Aristocrat
    4 Kathari Bomber(!)
    1 Skirsdag Cultist
    1 Carnage Gladiator
    3 Falkenrath Noble(!)
    1 Abyssal Specter

2 Bone Splinters
    2 Recover
    1 Auger Spree

11 Swamp
    6 Mountain

She went 2-1 with it. I'm assuming the round she lost involved her drawing too many 4-drops (she lost to a deck similar to my round 2 opponent's) but geez.

Oh, she also opened a Goyf at some point so now we have an extra. (I've had a playset of Future Sight Goyfs since 2007.)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The thing that gets me with that design is I've usually seen "turned sideways next to the graveyard" to signify exiled. Will be a little weird to get used to.

I think it looks super cool though.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Yeah I had the opportunity for a third bomber and passed for more removal but that card is *amazing*

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    https://twitch.tv/videos/129087464

Go to 2:50:00 and watch for a minute or so, there's no way opponent wasn't ghosting him right?

Like, in what universe do you make that play except the universe where you can see opponent's hand

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KharnorKharnor Registered User regular

Go to 2:50 and watch for a minute or so, there's no way opponent wasn't ghosting him right?

Like, in what universe do you make that play except the universe where you can see opponent's hand

He.. pinged some 1/1s and swung for lethal? What are we meant to be seeing here

• Options
    Kharnor wrote: »

Go to 2:50 and watch for a minute or so, there's no way opponent wasn't ghosting him right?

He.. pinged some 1/1s and swung for lethal? What are we meant to be seeing here

meant 2:50:00 my bad

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

Yeah, that was pretty egregious. First, they tank on slamming Griselbrand because they know he has Damnation, then they tank on the second activation due to not finding Thoughtseize in the first 7.

• Options
    I mean, if I'm sitting on an empty hand against two planeswalkers, I'm at 20, and I draw Griselbrand with more than enough mana to cast it, I'm drawing 14 without thinking about it.

That he just happened to draw and cast Thoughtseize is only even very slightly suspicious, to me.

• Options
    SO what is ghosting? What is this guy being accused of?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

watching your opponents twitch stream while your playing against them.

It's something that happens occasionally to any streamer with a decent popularity playing a competitive online game.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Taking him on a date and then never calling.

Or, watching your opponent's screen if they're streaming.

Take your pick, really, they're both unfortunate.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I mean, if I'm sitting on an empty hand against two planeswalkers, I'm at 20, and I draw Griselbrand with more than enough mana to cast it, I'm drawing 14 without thinking about it.

That he just happened to draw and cast Thoughtseize is only even very slightly suspicious, to me.

Pin, as you said: you would do those things without thinking about it, because it's stone-called obvious that you are way behind on board and need to climb out of that hole by slamming Griseldaddy.

Whereas, this opponent: drew the card, deliberated, tapped some mana, untapped some mana, tapped some mana, untapped some mana, then cast the card, drew 7, waited a while, passed priority, went through combat, then second-main drew 7 more, then snap-cast Thoughtseize.

Plus, if you watch the clip with the chat open, you'll see that they apparently identify the opponent within Numot's chat.

• Options
    Taking a long time and tapping/untapping mana weird can be a signal of shitty internet, too. I'm not saying he wasn't ghosting, just that it's not as black and white, cut and dry as his actions make it sound.

Having an identical screen name in Numot's chat is an entirely different situation, of course. But, also, people will do that to troll the streamer sometimes, too. LSV used to do it to Tom Martell usually to hilarious results.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    So last night I brought Maelstrom Wanderer to a duel commander tournament and opened a Modern Masters pack. It was Thragtusk, so I shrugged and replaced the beat-up copy I was using.

Someone brought a Vial Smasher deck, which is exactly what I was afraid of. But they couldn't stand up to all that cascade. Afterward I did a MM pack war with the Vial player. In my opening hand I have Scalding Tarn! The pack war game was pretty interesting, too. I managed to turn around a losing board state with Teleportal and Druid's Deliverance.

So now I'm mostly trying to turn my Tarn into a Catacombs. Also the Vial player had the "petrol blue" Dragon Shield sleeves which look way better in person than the official ads. I gotta get me some of those.

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    Played in a MM draft today. Took U/W bounce and U/G populate and smashed them together into bant bounce the house. Went 2-1 which is good with zero bombs.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I went 3-1 at a MM2017 Sealed Deck today. :) At one point, I had 3/3 Vigilance Goblin tokens with a new Goblin every turn. I won 2 of the games solely through
    Bird token damage. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Hahah Oh poor Kenji. I won't spoil it, just, oh man, ( we've all done similar too, that's why it hurts to see) go to 1:38:38
    https://twitch.tv/videos/129268280

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    MM3 sealed is a thing I'd dearly love to do if I could ever afford it, hahaha

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Hahah Oh poor Kenji. I won't spoil it, just, oh man, ( we've all done similar too, that's why it hurts to see) go to 1:38:38
    https://twitch.tv/videos/129268280

oh numot...

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    OK, hypothetical:

I have a Heart of Kiran, my opponent has Storm Crow. I play Quicksmith Rebel targeting the Heart, then tap the Rebel to crew the Heart. Go to combat, and declare the Heart as an attacker.

Can I then, at the end of the declare attackers step, tap the Heart to kill the Storm Crow so there's nothing to block it?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Up JobUp Job Registered User regular
    Yes!

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Nothing can kill a Storm Crow

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    so my friend who plays legacy a lot more than I do (aka primarily vs almost never) built me eldrazi to play

turn 2 reality smasher is fun

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    Nothing can kill a Storm Crow

Someone would have to play one first.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    so my friend who plays legacy a lot more than I do (aka primarily vs almost never) built me eldrazi to play

I hope you get t1 grisledad'd forever

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Drafted Modern Masters today. I went 4-color and have zero regrets about that.
    Azure Mage
    2x Centaur Healer
    Craterhoof Behemoth
    Deputy of Acquittals
    Kor Hookmaster
    Kor Skyfisher
    Moroii
    Slaughterhorn*
    Talon Trooper
    Tandem Lookout
    2x Tower Gargoyle*
    Vital Splicer

Abrupt Decay
    Aethertow
    Gift of Orzhova
    Harmonize
    Seal of Doom*
    Dimir Signet
    Golgari Signet
    Orzhov Signet
    Simic Signet

2x Azorius Guildgate
    Golgari Guildgate
    2x Selesnya Guildgate
    Simic Guildgate
    Arcane Sanctum
    Forest
    3x Island
    Plains
    4x Swamp

-Sideboard-
    Abyssal Specter
    Death's Shadow
    Deputy of Acquittals
    Falkenrath Aristocrat*
    Golgari Rotwurm
    Grasp of Phantasms
    Night Terrors*
    Pit Keeper
    Rewind
    Seal of Primordium*
    Serum Visions
    Spike Jester
    Terminus
    Vanish into Memory

*Foil

Did this set not have Gatecreeper Vine? That's unfortunate.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Played edh with friends tonight.
    Game one was Slivers, Meren, Saskia, and Yasova. Yasova and Slivers got mana screwed and Meren basically ran the game.

Game two was the same decks except Saskia was out and Atraxa Super Friends came in. Atraxa beat Yasova pretty early on with commander damage because Yasova had a beefed up unblock able squid. Slivers were out of control. Atraxa got to 80+ health. Lots of back and forth for Slivers and Atraxa and then Meren struck ended up winning.

Third game was Slivers, Doran, Nekasar, and Yasova. We were all doing fine until Nekasar ended up with a 1 damage to opponents when they draw and one that lets everyone draw an additional card and take 1 damage. Then dropped the card that makes it so opponents draw 7 cards when they play a spell. We then decided he needs to go. Yasova got him to 1 attack left to take Nekasar with commander damage so Nekasar had one more turn. Played a card that deals 2 damage to opponents for each card they discard and another damage when draw card. He then played Wheel of Fate and took us all out.

It was a good EDH night. My friend also just tonight upgraded his Nekasar deck.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Also I wish Wizards was better at reprinting cards with their original watermarks.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    New art for The Unspeakable now looks less like female genitals and more like a demon photobombing a panoramic waterfall vista.

en_lcVpKR4YfY.png

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    New art for The Unspeakable now looks less like female genitals and more like a demon photobombing a panoramic waterfall vista.

en_lcVpKR4YfY.png
    Infernalgram: Wot I Did On My Vacation.

#GoingOverInABarrel #LivingLife #YOLO

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I hope you get t1 grisledad'd forever

I resolved an all is dust vs a miracles player with like 4 cards in hand and a top in play and I knew it was fraudulent

it ate a blood moon, a jace, and mentor and friends

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    So after playing all three decks that I mentioned over the weekend, I think I'm going with the Jund Energy one. Which is the GB energy snake deck that splashes red for Unlicensed Disintegration.

Spell is straight up busted good.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    that deck is good.

right now I'm on this weird br midrange thing I saw at the top 8 from an IQ I think it was a week ago, probably what you expect + dynavolt tower. seemed good for killing lots of creatures which was kinda what I wanted to do right now

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    I got to draft Dinova Horror + Deadeye navigator. It was unfair.

I also ran a secret corpse connoisseur + broodmate dragon + torrent of souls reanimator package. My second round opponent made 3 Wall of Denials and I smashed through with ~35 dragon tokens. THANKS, D-E-N!

goomyisall400.jpg

This discussion has been closed.