Options

Southpaw Regional [chat] is the coolest ever

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Henroid wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    OH MY GOD
    Chitosan (positive charge): As the name implies, it is composed of chitin, which is the structural element of the exoskeletons of crustaceans, such as crabs, shrimp and other shell fish.

ARCH I CAN BASICALLY PUT GROUND UP CRAYFISH IN MY WINE TO MAKE IT BETTER
    This sounds like a terrible idea.

IT WILL WORK BEAUTIFULLY A+ JOB SHIV

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I mostly just go by word of mouth these days for both movie and video game recs

Same. Film review blurbs are nearly incomprehensible, giving an odd framing of the film without the description of pacing, themes, or synopsis that a friend's recommendation could offer.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That is an entirely fair score for Spaceballs. I dunno why it gets so much love, especially when compared to Brooks' genuine classics, like Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and The Producers.

That score for Dredd is a travesty, though.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I have toilet paper on my amazon subscribe and save but I can't think of anything else to get delivered on a schedule.

They don't have like gallon jugs of water or anything so I can't do that. Papertowels I can do once a year so what's the point. Hmm.

Are you eating enough pork rinds?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    video games reviews are all horrible fucking garbage

I like the review-ish posts people make here, eg all these recent posts about the specific elements that make Zelda botw personally enjoyable to any given poster, maybe with some generalizable insights about game design. If professional reviews were more like that, they might be fun to read--or maybe not, since part of the appeal is reading a review by a known person of known tastes.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    since when is a 46% movie good?

Since when is Dead Space 2 merely good

That was bar none the best console port of all time, best sequel of all time

That game was a fucking revelation

This is a strange and unprecedented opinion, well done

Idgi

This wasn't supposed to be a hot take

I have just never heard someone express any particular affection for dead space 2, let alone call it a revelation

I quite liked the first and didn't even finish the second, myself

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I have toilet paper on my amazon subscribe and save but I can't think of anything else to get delivered on a schedule.

They don't have like gallon jugs of water or anything so I can't do that. Papertowels I can do once a year so what's the point. Hmm.

(the answer is no)

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Metacritic is flawed, but I hate the rotten tomatoes system more.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

okay what are the other 3 things I need to get the 15% then

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @elki on the eve of Mass Effect's takeover I jumped on GR WILDLANDS last night and tried a bunch of guns I hadn't used yet like the little bitty Russian S3RM rifle that's smg compact sized and the 556xi (which I liked much more than expected).

I flew a drug plane over to Libertidad region which is 5 skull difficulty but had no issues parachuting in, landing on a rooftop, and pilfering the AK-47 from a chest. Built it out a little with a red dot scope and so on -- not a bad platform at all although I might like the 556xi more.

I am going to go scrounge up more parts like an extended magazine and one of the front rail mounted night vision lasers. Maybe go steal the Mk. 17 rifle and the M4a1 tac and compare them built out to the 556xi ... hmm.

I still like the P90 best as a close range option so a longer range / long barreled rifle seems logical.

Having said that, the AK 47 was plenty flexible at all ranges to approach and then sweep through a base quietly.

Also you were right about that pistol. That thing is the way and the light.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    videogame review scores: often graded in a way that gives nuance, 0-100 makes some kind of sense and under 70% usually means there are a lot of flaws.

movie review scores: occasionally done in a star format (1-5), but often just given as good (100) or bad (0).

If the score is greater than 50% assume more than half the viewing critics liked it, which means the odds are in your favor.

That scoring is what Rotten Tomatoes uses, not metacritic.

I think there's a whole suite of different issues with the rotten tomatoes system. It tends to favor safe, bland, boring as shit movies that barely eke out positive reviews from most of the shrugging critics over more divisive but fascinating films.

Like the latest uninspired marvel movie where 95% of reviewers left in a daze and wrote, "eh, it was alright. It was marvel. 2 and a half stars." A movie nobody particularly loved. That movie will outscore on rotten tomatoes something creative and amazing that's getting emphatic fours star reviews from 85% of critics but maybe 15% were left a little cold by it and gave it unfavorable reviews.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    P10 wrote: »
    since when is a 46% movie good?

Since when is Dead Space 2 merely good

That was bar none the best console port of all time, best sequel of all time

That game was a fucking revelation

This is a strange and unprecedented opinion, well done

Idgi

This wasn't supposed to be a hot take

I have just never heard someone express any particular affection for dead space 2, let alone call it a revelation

I quite liked the first and didn't even finish the second, myself

Really?

I have always seen Dead Space 2 lauded a great deal.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD
    Chitosan (positive charge): As the name implies, it is composed of chitin, which is the structural element of the exoskeletons of crustaceans, such as crabs, shrimp and other shell fish.

Guys, if I correctly isolate this strain of yeast, and maintain a precise pH balance, it should be able to ferment just enough of this shellfish toxin to give the wine an extra kick, without causing significant respiratory paralysis!

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Julius wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    but for real, what's the "traditional" birds and Bees talk?

i'm just really confused here.

My parents gave me the "penises and vaginas" talk early on and then i got comprehensive sex ed.......
    "Mine was the penis goes into the Vagina. Here is a dirty mag to give you an overview of the mechanics. Keep it I don't want it back."

Seriously? that is kinda fucked up.
    Not really. It's an uncomfortable topic for parents, and hustler literally has 100s of pictures.

He also said I'll buy you condoms if you need them, please don't knock anyone up.

sure but uncomfortable topic or not, he could've handed you one of those books that actually explains all that shit.

like this or something (I dunno which books are any good in the US)
    ...How would my dad know this? He wasn't able to google it, the only people he could ask, are his buddies, or work peeps, his dad (grandpa) was born in the 1910s, and was a fucken dick.

My moms was even worst. "So uhh...is there anything you want to know..about it?" "Nope I gotta pretty good handle on how things work." "Oh thank god, let's order pizza."

zepherin on
  • Options

Flushable baby wipes

Protein powder

Replica light sabers

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    TL DR wrote: »
    I mostly just go by word of mouth these days for both movie and video game recs

Same. Film review blurbs are nearly incomprehensible, giving an odd framing of the film without the description of pacing, themes, or synopsis that a friend's recommendation could offer.

I seem to have been saying this a lot recently, but there are excellent film critics around if you care to look. I would take the word of Mark Kermode or Anthony Lane (or Pauline Kael, maysherestinpeace) on whether a film was worth seeing over almost everyone I know. And of course there's the fact that they see everything, so you aren't just getting recommendations on what people you know felt like seeing over any particular weekend.

A good critic is worth their weight in gold.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dead Space 2 was a fantastic game. It did the almost impossible task of taking a voiceless protagonist with zero personality and gave him not only a voice but a personality that fit entirely. Like Dead Space 1 was mainly gameplay and environment. 2 is where the character story took the forefront and it was just really amazing how well it worked.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Flushable baby wipes

Protein powder

Replica light sabers

how many light sabers are you going through, six?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    this customer is letting me take all the time in the world to repair her shit and is happy to have an excuse not to work during this period

a woman after my own heart

override367 on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Breath of the Wild 'unconventional' puzzle solving

It took me forever to find the second ball but I DID end up finding it. This guy had no such reservoir of patience

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

Flushable baby wipes

Protein powder

Replica light sabers

how many light sabers are you going through, six?

Enough that it's worth the discount, bowen.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I went to my cousin's wedding yesterday

she married a guy (great guy) who was in a car accident maybe 8 years ago and can't walk or totally use his hands.

they put him in a contraption that made him vertical for when they introduced the bride and groom. it was really amazing. still motorized obviously but he was able to dance more than he would have been otherwise and honestly it was just incredible, there's not really more to say. I know his family totally lost it when they saw that.

it was a fun (300+ people is always a fucking blast) and emotional wedding (this particular cousin of mine is one of the kindest most caring and most beautiful people I have ever met) but that moment had to be the topper

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Shiv pls don't sprinkle anything into your alcohol other than more alcohol

• Options
    don't flush lightsabers down the toilet pls they might say flushable but they aren't

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    @elki on the eve of Mass Effect's takeover I jumped on GR WILDLANDS last night and tried a bunch of guns I hadn't used yet like the little bitty Russian S3RM rifle that's smg compact sized and the 556xi (which I liked much more than expected).

I flew a drug plane over to Libertidad region which is 5 skull difficulty but had no issues parachuting in, landing on a rooftop, and pilfering the AK-47 from a chest. Built it out a little with a red dot scope and so on -- not a bad platform at all although I might like the 556xi more.

I am going to go scrounge up more parts like an extended magazine and one of the front rail mounted night vision lasers. Maybe go steal the Mk. 17 rifle and the M4a1 tac and compare them built out to the 556xi ... hmm.

I still like the P90 best as a close range option so a longer range / long barreled rifle seems logical.

Having said that, the AK 47 was plenty flexible at all ranges to approach and then sweep through a base quietly.

Are you playing this solo or with others? This game looks super cool but I'm holding off since unless there are people who want to bro down right now, it seems like a wait for a sale game.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I went to my cousin's wedding yesterday

she married a guy (great guy) who was in a car accident maybe 8 years ago and can't walk or totally use his hands.

they put him in a contraption that made him vertical for when they introduced the bride and groom. it was really amazing. still motorized obviously but he was able to dance more than he would have been otherwise and honestly it was just incredible, there's not really more to say. I know his family totally lost it when they saw that.

it was a fun (300+ people is always a fucking blast) and emotional wedding (this particular cousin of mine is one of the kindest most caring and most beautiful people I have ever met) but that moment had to be the topper

meaning you didn't catch the bouquet

• Options
    I guess I could set myself up to get tide pods in like

2 years from now after my current 125 pod stock runs dry

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    desc wrote: »
    elki on the eve of Mass Effect's takeover I jumped on GR WILDLANDS last night and tried a bunch of guns I hadn't used yet like the little bitty Russian S3RM rifle that's smg compact sized and the 556xi (which I liked much more than expected).

We need to go sniper rifle hunting in a couple of weekends. I want to pick up the Dragunov.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I used to read PCGamer every month but like

basically everything do to with video game journalism is such a reactionary garbage fire race to the bottom that I just do not care anymore

I preferred before the internet when gaming news came once a month rather than in the form of thousands of sentient fedoras building things up to be the zenith of video games and then sending death threats to developers when it didn't work out that way

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The dialogue stuff in Wildlands sounds kinda gross but the game itself seems like it could be fun with a good group. A candidate for the 7 dollar impulse purchase.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    my birds and the bees education came from my babysitter who I many years later realized was a sexual predator

override367 on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    TL DR wrote: »
    OH MY GOD

Guys, if I correctly isolate this strain of yeast, and maintain a precise pH balance, it should be able to ferment just enough of this shellfish toxin to give the wine an extra kick, without causing significant respiratory paralysis!

Dude so many poisons are also drugs people could abuse if they were idiots you don't even know

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The dialogue stuff in Wildlands sounds kinda gross but the game itself seems like it could be fun with a good group. A candidate for the 7 dollar impulse purchase.

When anyone feels like doing this, I'm in

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

man in what world is a score of 59 great?
    I'm actually curious to see what movies score within that range via Rotten Tomatoes. I know there's been a time or two where a movie I liked didn't have a high RT score. Not that I can cite specific examples off the top of my head, but I know it's happened.

I think there's an argument to be made about critics vs moviegoers, certainly. And critics are probably more prone to underrating movies, especially more niche or subculture films (like Dredd for example). But on the other hand even RT is not an infallible system, and even a large amount of critics can make a mistake.

at any rate I don't know how weird interpretations of scores make a case for the system being broken. ilomilo looks like a fun game, as do the others.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dead Space 2 was a fantastic game. It did the almost impossible task of taking a voiceless protagonist with zero personality and gave him not only a voice but a personality that fit entirely. Like Dead Space 1 was mainly gameplay and environment. 2 is where the character story took the forefront and it was just really amazing how well it worked.

They did some magic work with that engine, too. It ran so much better than DS1 and ran lkke a champ at 1080p on a gaming laptop circa 2010.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @elki also I found myself actually making a point to try switching back and forth between firing modes

Even the humble p90 in single shot was having no problems taking dudes at realistic "im inside the base lel" distances with one headshot

I realized I like this game because any of the guns are basically fine but I can catch them all and modify each one for no real reason, which is exactly the Appeal of Forza Horizon 3

I want to collect and paint 500x more cars / guns than I need and modify each one just so

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I decided to conserve my time with ME:A's trial for today, so I still have seven hours left of it.

I'm going to start playing it again later today so that it just sorta rolls into the launch time (with taking a break for like, lunch and dinner), so I don't run into the end of my time before the launch.

My concern was if I used up all my time earlier this week I would hit that end and it would be like getting fatally pulled out of the Matrix.

Not like this.

Not like this.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I think video game reviews are still valuable. But video game review scores less so. The text of the article can do a good job of giving you an overview of if you'll end up liking something or not.

• Options
    My one regret is that this mead will be ready in like six months if I want to drink it super early

Also that the yeast is apparently super alcohol tolerant so I'm basically going to end up with mixed honeyed rum and raspberry jui-actually wait nvm this sounds great

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I decided to conserve my time with ME:A's trial for today, so I still have seven hours left of it.

I'm going to start playing it again later today so that it just sorta rolls into the launch time (with taking a break for like, lunch and dinner), so I don't run into the end of my time before the launch.

My concern was if I used up all my time earlier this week I would hit that end and it would be like getting fatally pulled out of the Matrix.

Not like this.

Not like this.

I ran out this morning after kind of taking little bites out of it and using short interaction to level up my apex mission duders (have one at level 11 and one at level 8?). One thing to watch for with your mission duders they can get negative traits and they do not leave.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.