As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh man I am into that.

Yea it looks real good and not just a "follow the line" style skill board. You can choose different directions to go and unlock nodes around special ones to open up the spots in the center... hells yes.

Especially in a game like DQ that tend towards to the longer side with lots of encounters... having a fun system like this to play with in between those encounters should make it much more rewarding.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Oh man I am into that.

I liked the sphere grid and the idea of the license board, but I didn't like the whole "you can't use this weapon/armor/accessory" unless you unlock the license aspect of it.

I dunno, previous Dragon Quests can be pretty restrictive on what items characters can use as well so starting out restrictive and letting you unlock specialties for your characters wouldn't honestly bother me that much. I totally get where you're coming from though and don't blame you at all.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    remember in MH4U where you had to do an incredibly long difficult chain of egg quests to unlock some elder dragon

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    remember in MH4U where you had to do an incredibly long difficult chain of egg quests to unlock some elder dragon

Long yes. Difficult, no.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I watched a video that summarizes the plot of the original Drakengard in two parts, but the guy who did it is a bit of a grossboy.

Has anyone got good recommendations for summary vids?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Clemps' are probably the best and he has good analysis when he isn't leaning into his dumb shtick

And he's not really any grosser than the drakengard games so at least it fits

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Clemps does the best Taroverse summary videos, but if you don't mind a screenshot LP, TheDarkID's stuff is a lot more comprehensive and better presented

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Oh I ain't done a screenshot LP in a minute

Gonna need to sit me down for this one, get comfortable

Edit: Also Drakengard may have weird child-eating cannibal horror people, but on the other hand I haven't seen it make MRA jokes about how easy it is to offend tumblr or how guys are stereotyped in games too, so, I mean....

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Just a heads up; the dark id's LP of the game goes into decent depth about the amazingly horrific story and weird characters in Drakengard and about how and why the gameplay fails, and there are really funny bits in it, but he does go in for some crude (and, considering the time the LP was made, kind of outdated by now) humor on occasion. Mostly when it comes to the character Inuart. Nothing, if I remember correctly, that I'd, like, denounce him for, but there's a heads-up, depending on your sensibilities.

Enlong on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a good LP.

But it was also made by a dude on a kinda rough internet forum in like 2009. So there's some not great language in there.

He gets better about that as time goes on.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh man I am into that.

I liked the sphere grid and the idea of the license board, but I didn't like the whole "you can't use this weapon/armor/accessory" unless you unlock the license aspect of it.

I dunno, previous Dragon Quests can be pretty restrictive on what items characters can use as well so starting out restrictive and letting you unlock specialties for your characters wouldn't honestly bother me that much. I totally get where you're coming from though and don't blame you at all.

Oh I don't mind unlocking specialties in general, like unlocking the ability to use Swords on a character with only Axes prior. I just disliked how it made the licenses so specific that you might be able to use Swords but you can't use This Sword until you find and unlock the specific location on the license board. I get that it was an attempt to curb cheesing the game with high power weapons at low levels, but in practice it meant I'd find this neat piece of gear then realize I can't actually use it because no one has the license unlocked. Takes away some of the magic from opening chests, though to be fair the game did this already with randomized chest contents. Zodiac changed that bit at least.

• Options
    I am finding that the Dark Id LP and Clemps videos are actually good complements to each other, offering different perspectives and takes

Boy howdy though that language Dark Id uses, Christ alive

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Well can't be any worse than watching DarkeSydePhil.

Though in terms of clearing bars that one is partially in the ground.

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Dark Id gets better eventually but yeah...

• Options
    Well can't be any worse than watching DarkeSydePhil.

Though in terms of clearing bars that one is partially in the ground.

I remember seeing a compilation video of his run of MGS3. And despite the more humorous moments of failure (sniper duel begins. "Where's my shotgun?"), the man himself is just so toxic and awful to listen to that I couldn't sit through it.

• Options
    OK. These games are silly, but partway through the Drakengard 2 LP they do have a very real charm going for them.

My favorite ending to the first Drakengard is either B or C.

I have a question about the lore, though.
    Are the flying baby abominations actually the Watchers or just a force that shows up as a result of the seals being broken when the avatar of the Watchers is dead? Are they the cleanup crew for the gods. Do the gods deploy babies and giant time-pregnant golems as bombs? Do we have any idea what the Watchers are?

Hm those are definitely some phrases I just used

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    is it like the sphere grid?

I am literally salivating here

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I don't think we've ever seen the Watchers in any game, or gotten a full explanation of them.

• Options
    Either they are the grotesqueries, or they just employ them.

Either answer says some frightening things about the cosmology of that world.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Either they are the grotesqueries, or they just employ them.

Either answer says some frightening things about the cosmology of that world.

Don't live in a universe with a magic system, kids. Its hazardous to your health

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    just FYI drakengard 2 is not a yoko taro joint and is not really relevant to the rest of the drakengard/nier cinematic universe

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    just FYI drakengard 2 is not a yoko taro joint and is not really relevant to the rest of the drakengard/nier cinematic universe

Yeah, the Nier universe completely branches off where Drakengard 2 never happens in it.

While Drakengard 3 is a prequel and is part of the universe.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Drakengard 2 is so far an endpoint to a timeline, I think.

Whether they are the Watchers in person or not, I'd say they are the most Watcher things around.

• Options

It sure does seem to be real different compared to Nier or Drakengard!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I appreciate that the playable characters of Drag-On Dragoon are actually mounted infantry.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I know it's just linguistic happenstance but I really like that gacha sounds like the english word "gotcha" ie. "haha I tricked you". It's the perfect onomatopoeia. Being tricked into endlessly turning a crank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fkpZ_ZfLs

Always makes me think of Goseiger. Where the transformation device says 'Gotcha' when you insert the gacha cards for the totally real card-based video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6deddsuPXjs

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Hmmmm I wonder if Zero and Michael were in love like Caim and Angelus (I'm only just starting the D3 LP)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Hmmmm I wonder if Zero and Michael were in love like Caim and Angelus (I'm only just starting the D3 LP)

I doubt that Zero is capable of romantic love

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I would have said exactly the same thing about our boy Caim but you would know better than me

When I first saw the intro for Drakengard 3 I was like "wow this is so unpleasant I'm not sure how to process it" but after dipping my toe in with Nier and then being half-drowned by the first Drakengard I'm pretty acclimated, Zero's an asshole but at least she actually wants something I guess

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Hey, Caim wanted something!

He really, really wanted to stab people.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I would have said exactly the same thing about our boy Caim but you would know better than me

When I first saw the intro for Drakengard 3 I was like "wow this is so unpleasant I'm not sure how to process it" but after dipping my toe in with Nier and then being half-drowned by the first Drakengard I'm pretty acclimated, Zero's an asshole but at least she actually wants something I guess

most of the intoners are worse than her, or at least the shit they are doing is worse

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Zero is literally the most heroic and straight up good aligned character in the Taroverse.

• Options
    Zero is literally the most heroic and straight up good aligned character in the Taroverse.

nah, nier is

he is entirely justified in his actions with his level of understanding of the situation

• Options
    also zero, like all the intoners, is pretty much a rapist?

so yeah

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Emil is a good boy

• Options
    Emil is a good boy

emil is queer theory

• Options
    I was going to ask if the thing where Five is an evil mind-controlling serial rapist and her disciple was a super-misogynist barely restrained serial killer was a one-off but based on the above I'm guessing not

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I was going to ask if the thing where Five is an evil mind-controlling serial rapist and her disciple was a super-misogynist barely restrained serial killer was a one-off but based on the above I'm guessing not

most of the disciples are completely emasculated sex slaves and five is the biggest piece of shit of all the intoners and the entire dynamic is a reversal of the male power fantasy

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Also as Pip said, Five is really the worst of them. Three's a piece of shit a little less then five, but still pretty bad. The rest, Two One and Four all fall more on the classically good side.
    PiptheFair wrote: »

nah, nier is

he is entirely justified in his actions with his level of understanding of the situation

Zero literally(Drakenguard 3 spoilers)
    Realizes she's possesed by a world destroying parasite, and, even though she's the one person that should say, "Yeah, fuck it, I was dealt a bad hand anyway" commits suicide in an effort to stop it. And when that fails and in fact, spawns 5 goddamn more, she goes on a one sided quest to save the world by killing her "sisters", with the end goal, again, to have a Dragon kill her so that she can save the world.

Her quest is damn near messianic.

Neir just wants to kill everyone to get his daughter back. Still technically good, but even not considering the consequences the stakes are hilariously small in comparison.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Drakengard 3 spoilers.
    Five is Zero.

Nier would not have done much different if he had known more.

PLA on
This discussion has been closed.