Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The older one seems like he could be a good Sebastian Shaw.

I don't really know what they plan on doing for a film, if it will have Brood or Hellions, and I don't really want January Jones back as Emma Frost. I'd be cool for just a straight up school movie, no rival team, no big attacks on the mansion, just a school thing where the big conflict is not getting this group to sync up like the X-Men seem to be doing at the end of Apocalypse.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Which raises the question, what mutants would be good casting for the rest of the Starks?

Sean Bean for Jamie Madrox, Multiple Man.
    That way, you can kill him every season. Or episode.

I LOLed

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Dormer (I know, not technically a stark) easily musters to the kind of bored condescension necessary to play Frost ("breeding, darling.")

I can't help thinking madden would be good as sunspot, but they probably would want to cast a Latin actor

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Gender swap Jubliee and cast Kit Harrington.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Dormer (I know, not technically a stark) easily musters to the kind of bored condescension necessary to play Frost ("breeding, darling.")

This would be amazing

And not merely because I'd watch Dormer read from a phone book

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    This last bit of fancasting has me thinking that Fox really fucks themselves with their comics properties.

When Marvel/Disney really gets it right, it's because they have fantastic casts and leverage that strength through their productions.

Fox just kind of... has somebody write some shit, then they cast some actors, and then hire/coerce a director to film the shit that was written. There's no apparent effort to, once they manage to secure an amazing cast, ensure that the production is on the same level.

Hell, even DC/Warners seems to at least believe they're doing something worthy of their casts.

I feel like Fox could score a cast entirely comprised of Oscar, Tony, and Golden Globe winners, and still churn out deeply stupid bullshit at bargain prices for, like... no good reason. Logan is the one exception I can see to this trend.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Well, and Deadpool. But they were given a small budget and basically got to do what they wanted (and it helps that Reynolds championed the project and made sure it was handled with care).

They need to use Deadpool to launch the new wave of X-Films, since the old cast is now defunct and the new one is largely forgettable save for Fassbender and Not-rick Stewart. If they somehow couple X-23 from Logan in with X-Force following Deadpool 2... now you got a stew going.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    James Mangold said he'd be interested in continuing on with X-23. Fox would be foolish not to give him what he wants, especially if Logan gets nominations and wins during awards season.

Considering the success of Deadpool, Logan, and Legion, I would think that Fox is at least more open to letting passionate creative writers and directors with a clear vision do their own thing without too much interference.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Man, Logan winning an award hadn't even crossed my mind. If any hero movie could pull an Oscar for writing/directing/acting, it's this one.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Man, Logan winning an award hadn't even crossed my mind. If any hero movie could pull an Oscar for writing/directing/acting, it's this one.

Doubtful. Heath Ledger had to die and be in the best comic adaption ever just to win an acting nomination. :(

Logan will be lucky to win an effects award.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Doubtful. Heath Ledger had to die and be in the best comic adaption ever just to win an acting nomination. :(

I don't remember any real noteworthy effects in it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, the effects while cool fall to greater efforts like GOTG 2 in that category.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Well, and Deadpool. But they were given a small budget and basically got to do what they wanted (and it helps that Reynolds championed the project and made sure it was handled with care).

They need to use Deadpool to launch the new wave of X-Films, since the old cast is now defunct and the new one is largely forgettable save for Fassbender and Not-rick Stewart. If they somehow couple X-23 from Logan in with X-Force following Deadpool 2... now you got a stew going.

Deadpool wasn't Fox

The atrocious characterization of Deadpool in Wolverine: Origins was Fox

Deadpool was Reynolds championing the writers of Deadpool to a heroic degree

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »

The seizure scene was a pretty creative effect.

It might have a chance with makeup and hairstyle.

And Logan might not have good Oscar chances but if Fox keeps up the buzz and makes a real push, there's a pretty good chance it'll get nominations and wins with other awards.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    They should get Cole Sprouse in the MCU somehow, preferably just as Jughead noir narrating everything.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Deadpool wasn't Fox

The atrocious characterization of Deadpool in Wolverine: Origins was Fox

Deadpool was Reynolds championing the writers of Deadpool to a heroic degree

Actually, it was. Reynolds may have done the work, but he was doing that on Fox's dime. This wasn't an indy flick. :)

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    A stopped clock is right twice a day. Sure, Fox gave us Logan, Deadpool, and the first two X-Men movies. They also gave us the rest of their comic catalog.

Marvel's weakest movies are still better than the lion's share of what Fox has made. People hit the nail on the head when they said the problem is that Fox doesn't give a shit about production quality. They expect the movie's success to come from the IP alone. While that strategy could've worked 20 years ago, when comic adaptations were rare, but now the market is so saturated that your stuff has to be decent just for people to notice.

It's a lot like TV these days, now that I think about it.

• Options
    I didn't mention Deadpool, not because I don't think it's really good (it is), but because it seems completely left field to me. Also, the studio didn't really support that movie very well, more like they just got out of the way. Except for advertising. They did great with that.

But their other X-movies have the distinct feel of seeming rushed and mandated.

Even with the level of design-by-committee going on with the MCU seems to generally have a team behind it that wants to take pride in their work, regardless of how commercial it is. Fox seems to lack that.

• Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    A stopped clock is right twice a day. Sure, Fox gave us Logan, Deadpool, and the first two X-Men movies. They also gave us the rest of their comic catalog.

Marvel's weakest movies are still better than the lion's share of what Fox has made. People hit the nail on the head when they said the problem is that Fox doesn't give a shit about production quality. They expect the movie's success to come from the IP alone. While that strategy could've worked 20 years ago, when comic adaptations were rare, but now the market is so saturated that your stuff has to be decent just for people to notice.

Fox has more hits than misses with the X-Men so far.

There have been 10 X-Men films and only 3 are bad.

Good to great X-Men films:
    X1
    X2
    First Class
    The Wolverine
    Days of Future Past
    Deadpool
    Logan

Bad X-Men films:
    Last Stand
    Origins: Wolverine
    Apocalypse

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

X1
    X2
    First Class
    The Wolverine
    Days of Future Past
    Deadpool
    Logan

Bad X-Men films:
    Last Stand
    Apocalypse

Legion over on the TV is also a really great use of the X-Men license. Fox is going in a really interesting direction, hiring talented people to make movies under the license with a lot of freedom to use or ignore what came before. It's a formula for hits and misses, but Fox's superhero stuff feels more interesting and unpredictable for it.

• Options

X1
    X2
    First Class
    The Wolverine
    Days of Future Past
    Deadpool
    Logan

Bad X-Men films:
    Last Stand
    Apocalypse

The quality of the first X-Men movie is definitely up for debate

First Class is questionable at best

Whether X2 holds up varies wildly by viewer

While I enjoyed The Wolverine, I find many of the complaints valid

The first two Fantastic Four movies are fun garbage (they're quite bad), and Fant4stic was a steaming turd

Fox has managed two legit good movies based on Marvel properties, with a handful of pretty ok movies that are utterly ashamed of being based on comics.

• Options
    I think people are unfairly harsh towards the X-Men films. Yes, X1 and X2 are kind of dated but they were some of the first superhero films of the modern era. If they hadn't made those mistakes, other films would have made them.

As for First Class and Wolverine, they have the exact same problem as many of the MCU films but people are much more lenient towards the MCU films. They're both good to great for the first 2/3rd but then they have a big dumb fight at the end. That's exactly what half the MCU films do.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    X2 is still one of the best superhero movies made, and a brilliant team superhero movie, which is even more impressive.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    First class is perfectly good what is this nonsense

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Which is like saying the movie is good if only there wasn't all this visual information and dialog in the way.

• Options
    I loved the visuals and liked the dialogue too tho!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Most of First Class is great. It's just that the not-great parts are pretty bad.

Like running headlong into Black Dude Dies First as if it'S 1975.

Or the weird love triangle.

Or Xavier erasing Moira's memory because it was convenient.

Or the hamfest climax.

But I could go for a whole movie of Nazi Hunter Magneto. They could even do a modern day sequel!

• Options
    Now that I think of it (First Class)
    what was Xavier's plan to deal with Shaw? He gets irate with Erik murdering the guy, but what was the actual alternative? Xavier was struggling,
    said "I can only hold this man for so long" and after that he'd detonate. So. What did Xavier have in mind? :P

Mayhaps Erik didn't need to murder him in quite so brutal or satisfying a fashion, maybe that woulda helped.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    First Class is... good for the first third, has a bunch of incredibly dumb shit for the middle, then ends with a big dumb fight that looks like bruised dogshit.

Emma Frost is a walking pair of breasts. Mystique switches sides after seeing her friend crippled. Angel switches sides after watching her new friend be murdered so that we can have the most embarrassing powers fight in recent memory. Beast looks awful.

I had rock bottom expectations going into DoFP.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    First Class is great because Fassbender and Macavoy both had good stuff to work with, and they both turned in amazing performances. Kevin Bacon was good too. It was a good movie.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think people are unfairly harsh towards the X-Men films. Yes, X1 and X2 are kind of dated but they were some of the first superhero films of the modern era. If they hadn't made those mistakes, other films would have made them.

As for First Class and Wolverine, they have the exact same problem as many of the MCU films but people are much more lenient towards the MCU films. They're both good to great for the first 2/3rd but then they have a big dumb fight at the end. That's exactly what half the MCU films do.

First Class and Wolverine were missing what makes MCU movies good: Characterization and casting.

Take Dr. Strange, which is by all accounts a pretty meh film, even by MCU standards. It still has the "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU" moment, which was a really good little beat that even took me off guard for a moment, and had a pretty great ending. Age of Ultron has Cap slightly budging Mjolnir, and Thor's appropriate reaction was priceless. Iron Man 2 has Samuel L chewing scenery, which is always delightful.

They're attempting different things. Yes, half of the films follow the Hero Intro Formula to a T, and those half of the films would be considerably worse without the heft of the entire film universe backing them, but MCU Hero Origin films hardly focus entirely on the plot and are a lot more character driven. That's what made Guardians work so damn well because, let's face it, origin stories are really fucking boring right now. That's also what made Dr. Strange flop a little bit, because his origin story kinda really does need a lot more explaining and it's not the most exciting thing.

I'm just glad they interwove Black Panther's origin into Civil War so we don't have to spend an entire film going over it. Some background dialogue and exposition and boom let's get to the real shit.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Fox pretty obviously adopted a different approach to casting than Marvel; Marvel have been content to build up the universe and plug no names and cast offs into it. Fox right from the beginning has gone for star power (though they also 'discovered' Jackman) and when they've succeeded it's mostly been because they gave those stars something interesting to do. When they've failed it's because they marginalize them (Fassbender in Age of Apocalypse.) By contrast Marvel's relative duds have been the result of giving their leads too much: Thor, Hulk, IM2/3 (though IM2 is still a lot of fun) and their ensembles generally do well because everybody can bounce into the story briefly without it feeling weird.

The thing is, Fox's approach can work; deadpool and logan are good, fassbender and mcavoy have good chemistry when the films bother to focus on them, etc. If they just stopped trying to make the Avengers and focused on doing character driven films there's a lot of fun stuff they could do, especially since they've already embraced multiple/future versions of characters.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Even the "good" X-Men flicks have either major flaws or outright cringingly-bad moments.

The early movies at least have the excuse of being early on for when superhero movies were finally getting real budgets and real attention; they did a lot of fucking around with character ages and personalities and timelines and whatnot, but they got away with it because there wasn't much else to compare them against.

But as time went on, the placement and handling of characters got increasingly fucky and random, to the point where the only identifiable thing about a character was (usually) their powers (and even that got screwed with badly more than once, to fit bad writing). Adamantium is unbreakable, unless you hit it with something really hot. Shadowcat can walk through walls, and can hail-mary minds through time. Phoenix isn't a celestial being with a couple of potentially-awesome arcs, it's just Jean Grey going crazy.

Seriously, what are the best X-Men films? Seems to me like it's Logan and Deadpool, which are basically one-offs that don't actually involve the X-Men as a team for anything but backstory. In fact, it's better off to mostly ignore the other X-Men movies for Logan because trying to reconcile it all is way more trouble than it's worth.

But that's just what happens when the directors are running the show with no real love for the source material and no overarching control to keep everything together most of the time. And until there's a reset for the X-Men material, there's not going to be a shift towards making reliably decent films with that IP by putting decent oversight and better directors in place. It's just going to be an ongoing crapshoot for quality, with timelines that just make no sense at all.

• Options
    One thing I hope they end up figuring out is how to balance the crazy 80s-flash cosmic stuff with some of the more somber things like Winter Soldier or Iron Man.

I am really excited about Thor Ragnarok, but equally excited for Spider Man and Black Panther because I feel like the latter two will be a bit more down-to-earth.

• Options

First Class and Wolverine were missing what makes MCU movies good: Characterization and casting.

Take Dr. Strange, which is by all accounts a pretty meh film, even by MCU standards. It still has the "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU" moment, which was a really good little beat that even took me off guard for a moment, and had a pretty great ending. Age of Ultron has Cap slightly budging Mjolnir, and Thor's appropriate reaction was priceless. Iron Man 2 has Samuel L chewing scenery, which is always delightful.

They're attempting different things. Yes, half of the films follow the Hero Intro Formula to a T, and those half of the films would be considerably worse without the heft of the entire film universe backing them, but MCU Hero Origin films hardly focus entirely on the plot and are a lot more character driven. That's what made Guardians work so damn well because, let's face it, origin stories are really fucking boring right now. That's also what made Dr. Strange flop a little bit, because his origin story kinda really does need a lot more explaining and it's not the most exciting thing.

I'm just glad they interwove Black Panther's origin into Civil War so we don't have to spend an entire film going over it. Some background dialogue and exposition and boom let's get to the real shit.

Magneto and Xavier were great in First Class. The casting was about as good as you could get considering how absolutely perfect it was the first time around with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. McAvoy and Fassbender are also better actors than the majority of the MCU cast. They certainly have much more range and depth than all the Chrises. And Magneto's character arc was very well done. Things only fall apart at the end when they rushed things by ending their friendship and making them enemies.

How is the characterization or casting off in Wolverine? Hugh Jackman is always great, even in the crappy films. Heck, he's great even in cameos.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Wolverine wasn't the only character in Wolverine. Jackman has the part down pat, but most of the people in the movie with him were pretty bleh.

And for Magneto and Xavier in First Class, there were how many other characters there which weren't anywhere near as good but still took up a fair amount of screen time? Something like the Avengers wasn't carried by one or two actors, they had an entire crew of actors doing a great job with great characters. Same with GoTG, and Civil War.

The X-Men films aren't without good moments, but they heavily tend towards mediocrity with some good moments with their one or two decent characters/actors, and that's not even addressing how screwed up the timelines or wildly displaced characters/personalities are.

• Options
    That's what made Guardians work so damn well because, let's face it, origin stories are really fucking boring right now. That's also what made Dr. Strange flop a little bit, because his origin story kinda really does need a lot more explaining and it's not the most exciting thing.

Guardians was an origin story for the team, and for Peter. They made Dr. Strange's film an origin because nobody knew who he is. You can't put in Harry Potter silliness into a movie setting without set up.

• Options
    Wolverine wasn't the only character in Wolverine. Jackman has the part down pat, but most of the people in the movie with him were pretty bleh.

And for Magneto and Xavier in First Class, there were how many other characters there which weren't anywhere near as good but still took up a fair amount of screen time? Something like the Avengers wasn't carried by one or two actors, they had an entire crew of actors doing a great job with great characters. Same with GoTG, and Civil War.

The X-Men films aren't without good moments, but they heavily tend towards mediocrity with some good moments with their one or two decent characters/actors, and that's not even addressing how screwed up the timelines or wildly displaced characters/personalities are.

And several MCU films have the same problem.

Yukio was great in Wolverine. Mariko was pretty good too.

First Class had Kevin Bacon's Sebastian Shaw, who was great and better than most MCU villains. Moira, Beast, and Havok were good too.

• Options
    Days of Future Past is my favorite superhero movie. Yes, more than any MCU.

It never fails to impress me every time I watch it.