Options

I got my drink, I got my music, but today I'm yelling [Job] don't kill my vibe!

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    yeah I have told people often I am not who I was in the Corps
    I don't want to be that person again

Yeah, I don't try to explain to people that me being a jovial, friendly soul is my way of paying for my sins.

Damn. Uh, is this the general reason why every former Marine I work with is super nice, friendly, helpful and full of jokes? I always just thought, "Marines are so nice!"

Like my dad is former Air Force and he is kind of a bastard now. I have no idea what he was like in the service, since I wasn't born until after. (Well, I have some idea, actually. Older sibling has shared some info and... well I guess my dad has mellowed out and I'm lucky to have not met the younger version)

Also slight tangent, but one of the kind and gentle former Marines I work with is also former Army and Navy, which is just 'of note' to me because I'd never met anyone who was in three branches of service before. He plays Santa for kids every Christmas, and wears his Santa suit to work in December.

We're happy that we are no longer in the Marine Corps and don't have to Embrace The Suck.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    A person here knows someone who was killed in the Manchester attack. I can't really even imagine processing that.

Don't try to force talking about it, just be available.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I mean, I wasn't planning to.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Dry cleaner has my uniform

Dry cleaner hasn't opened yet

I have to be at work in about 20 minutes

Pray for Quid

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'm done with my nursing placements as a home nurse.

Now I've got extra shifts as a health worker in home nursing services.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    There's a problem with the water main at work that came up yesterday late morning. So no on site bathrooms.

They were working on it when i left yesterday so I figured it'd be good today

The employee parking lot is now blocked off so that they can trench. Oh well, just gotta hold it or go somewhere else.

Go to get coffee, it is out of order because it fills via the water line.

Is it too late to call in?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Comcast level 2 support seems about as useful as level 1 so far.

I hope there's a level 3, 'cause they got something jacked up in our new modem.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Today's found poetry in the incident log: "I asked her if everything was okay and she told me that I needed to contact a preacher to get rid of all the witchcraft in the library."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    oh wait, this is normal support. They just said they were sending me there.

the tier 2 ticket they said they submitted yesterday was just a regular ticket and nobody dealt with it.

Comcast you are a pile of garbage.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Today's found poetry in the incident log: "I asked her if everything was okay and she told me that I needed to contact a preacher to get rid of all the witchcraft in the library."

You get the quality crazy.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

This is the same patron who, a few years ago, reported that a psychiatrist hired by her ex-husband was hacking our computers in order to trick her into taking a psychiatric evaluation so he could have her committed. Upon further investigation, the evaluation was indistinguishable from a customer satisfaction pop-up survey on the Reader's Digest website.

Cunning, small-town psychiatrist hacker, but not cunning enough.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

This is the same patron who, a few years ago, reported that a psychiatrist hired by her ex-husband was hacking our computers in order to trick her into taking a psychiatric evaluation so he could have her committed. Upon further investigation, the evaluation was indistinguishable from a customer satisfaction pop-up survey on the Reader's Digest website.

Again, quality crazy.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So today at the high school they are, in conjunction with the local police force, doing their Every Fifteen Minutes activity.

Every fifteen minutes they play a muffled heart-beat over the intercoms. Then somebody dressed up as a grim reaper walks the school, and plucks a student out of a classroom. That student then goes over to the library where the theater & art teachers apply make-up to have them look deceased. The student is then returned to their class and for the rest of the day they do no work, they don't talk and then just sit/walk around silently.

At the end of the day we have an assembly where the whole school gathers out at the parking lot to observe a simulated crash scene.

Oooh boy...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    We did the simulated crash scene in my high school to try and warn against drunk driving but having the specter of death roam the halls seems especially grim.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So today at the high school they are, in conjunction with the local police force, doing their Every Fifteen Minutes activity.

Every fifteen minutes they play a muffled heart-beat over the intercoms. Then somebody dressed up as a grim reaper walks the school, and plucks a student out of a classroom. That student then goes over to the library where the theater & art teachers apply make-up to have them look deceased. The student is then returned to their class and for the rest of the day they do no work, they don't talk and then just sit/walk around silently.

At the end of the day we have an assembly where the whole school gathers out at the parking lot to observe a simulated crash scene.

Oooh boy...

We did this exact same thing at my high school

It was super cheesy

• Options
    Cept now that I think about it we had an actual simulated crash

They had a helicopter fly in to take away the bodies to the hospital

Girlfriend/boyfriend of the deceased screaming

then an assembly where the people flown away come back in

it was a bit much

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Cept now that I think about it we had an actual simulated crash

They had a helicopter fly in to take away the bodies to the hospital

Girlfriend/boyfriend of the deceased screaming

then an assembly where the people flown away come back in

it was a bit much

Good lord...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    They should bring them to the ER where you get to watch cps take away the kids of some shit heel who drunk drives with their kids in the car

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    http://www.wilsonelser.com/news_and_insights/client_alerts/2884-nyc_law_prohibits_employers_from_asking_job

For you Nyc and several city jobbers, this article regarding salary history and laws against asking about may be useful.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sounds super unenforceable.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »

so, it becomes like flossing. Don't want the dentist to give you a lecture.

This doesn't seem to stop me.

In work-related news it's kind of slow here so I'm hacking together an Excel sheet with some formulas I haven't used before. I won't lie, it's basically intended for a video game to keep track of what materials I'll need to make something and how many, with some true/false checkboxes to count/not count certain cells. Of course, because of how CountIfs work I can't just grab the whole range. There might be a simple way to do it but the only way I can make this abomination work is by stitching together a CountIfs for each row like:
    =COUNTIFS(B2:B500,"GOLD KEEPER",G2:G500,FALSE)+COUNTIFS(C2:C500,"GOLD KEEPER",G2:G500,FALSE)+COUNTIFS(D2:D500, "GOLD KEEPER", G2:G500, FALSE)+COUNTIFS(E2:E500, "GOLD KEEPER", G2:G500, FALSE)+COUNTIFS(F2:F500, "GOLD KEEPER", G2:G500, FALSE)

This counts the number of times "Gold Keeper" appears in each column, does not count rows where TRUE appears in a cell at the end of each row, and sums the total in another cell. Still a work in progress but I'm learning more and googling for help when I get stuck on something, so it's engaging.

That's basically the accepted use of countifs. The way you might get cleaner code is by rearranging how you're holding the original data. It sounds like you have a group of recipes with a list of ingredients... if you want an order form and a grocery list, you could build an array out of the recipes and use =sumproduct:

5HKmiZB.png

the code for the Gold Keeper grocery list count is
    =SUMPRODUCT(B2:B4,B9:B11)

I was considering that but both the list of recipes and the materials are far too massive. I basically have seven columns in the table itself and two for the materials+formula. One for the name of the thing I intend to craft, five slots to put whatever materials are needed to craft it, then the checkbox I click on when I've made the indicated item. Off to the side I have the long-ass list of materials and next to each one is the formula that sums up how often it appears in the array. When I click the checkbox, meaning the recipe was made, the formula stops counting the items in that row.

I don't have the file on this computer but it looks a bit like this. Only with more recipes and a complete list of the many many materials. This also lets me determine when each recipe is done so I'm not just gathering a bunch of materials and then not remembering what I was going to do with them.
    qJ7V6Hq.png?1

Eventual goal is to get all the material lists into their own sheet and then make a "clean" list, because I'm doing one tab per element.

Well, if you're married to columns for Nth ingredient of the recipe rather than columns for the Nth ingredient in the master list, big ol' concatenated countifs are the way to go. It's just not a great data structure. (doesn't handle recipes larger than max(N), handles recipes shorter than max(N) poorly, text is much more storage intensive than numbers, and, as you've found, you have to parse everything with wonky string functions rather than doing math on your columns)

It's less I'm devoted to columns and more in addition to calculating the number of materials I need to collect I'm simultaneously trying to make a semi-interactive interface that mimics how it appears in the game, with some changes to fit the format for my benefit. If it was just a basic shopping list then I'd definitely be using something like what you linked as opposed to the sprawl of strings I have going on. It is also designed to kill time though so there's that. I have a habit of redoing my training projects in Excel over time as I pick up on the logic more and learn better functions. Just a few months ago I'd have probably jury-rigged some monstrosity employing Vlookup and a whole tab of individual functions for each recipe interlinking up to the total sum. Functional but probably constitutes abuse.

I'm basically trying to make Excel into something it's not intended to be compared to just learning programming and becoming capable of things like hooking objects from another source to make a clean "recipe" book. Excel tutorials and experiments are allowed at my workplace, but any kind of programming or tutorials on such is forbidden.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah, thats going to be a pain to ever prove anything on.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    NY is a one party consent state. You could record someone doing that and submit it to the DoL or sue them probably.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    I am definitely open to ideas.

I work at a credit card company in their collections department on the outbound calling team. I like working for the company and I like the people I work with. Lots if benefits and I moved up pretty fast.

The card members though. They can be so frustrating and unreasonable. So entitled. I hate dealing with them and today was especially awful.

I want to find a new job but I just don't really know where to start.

If your interested in manufacturing support (Purchasing/inventory control/scheduling etc...) Looks into the APICS classes. probably about $2000/$3000 to get certified (If you are a quick learner and don't need to take the classes it is MUCH cheaper, just study the books). any place worth its salt will look highly on that cert. CPIM is another good one to get.

Pay is decent, and if you can learn about MRP/ERP systems at the same time and maybe how to do crystal reports you will become a god at most places.

Thank you for suggesting this. I have never heard of this so I am going to look into it and do some research today.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It seems like one of those things that would go
    "So what was your old salary?"
    "NY law actually states that you can't answer that question"
    "My mistake"
    *writes DO NOT HIRE in notes*

• Options
    Most laws involving questions you can and can't ask in interviews are basically unenforceable, unless you're dumb enough to violate them and keep written records of it (which, according to one of our trainers who used to be an HR consultant, is depressingly common.)

If you play fast and loose with HR law, you're probably not going to get your company sued. What you are risking is piling up enough complaints from employees and applicants to trigger a Department of Labor audit, which is a nightmare scenario that no company wants to go through. It's the same reasoning that keeps most people from cheating too flagrantly on their taxes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It seems like one of those things that would go
    "So what was your old salary?"
    "NY law actually states that you can't answer that question"
    "My mistake"
    *writes DO NOT HIRE in notes*

Yeah, it has the problem of proving thats why they didn't hire you. Maybe having a fine for asking, paid to the interviewee?

It's not a problem unique to this question either.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    "Not sure if 500 cells is a big enough range. I want to give myself some breathing room but also don't want to manually change every single one of these fifty functions. I wonder if I can...hang on, does Find and Replace work in Excel?"

I love these little moments where I can solve a massive problem with a simple solution. Makes me feel like I'm actually applying what I've learned through these experiements.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah the law's not gonna end the practice overnight but it's a pressure that'll discourage it at least. Plus makes it easier to just lie.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    They should bring them to the ER where you get to watch cps take away the kids of some shit heel who drunk drives with their kids in the car

Oh they did that

The kids that went away in the helicopter went away for the day then came back and told an assembly about it and blah blah blah

like i said it was a bit much

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

I mean

do you think that's the worst idea anybody ever had?

• Options
    Nah. She's high-functioning, keeps herself groomed and fed, and has never displayed any signs that she's a danger to herself or others. She's got a daughter who keeps a pretty good eye on her. Sure, she has paranoid delusions, but she usually just gripes about them to the reference staff. I don't know if there's a treatment that could improve her happiness or quality of life, but given her stated feelings about psychiatrists it would have to be a hell of an improvement to outweigh the trauma of being treated against her will.

The only time I ever saw her hassle any other patrons was when a couple of Mormons walked in and she starting cussing them out and telling them they should pray more. She's usually quite pleasant, if a little hard to follow in conversation.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Oooh boy...

What the fuck

• Options
    Is that not a common thing? Because the local high school does it too.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My school didn't do anything like that, but the town did have an actual multiple fatality crash that year involving intoxicated teens driving.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    There's a problem with the water main at work that came up yesterday late morning. So no on site bathrooms.

They were working on it when i left yesterday so I figured it'd be good today

The employee parking lot is now blocked off so that they can trench. Oh well, just gotta hold it or go somewhere else.

Go to get coffee, it is out of order because it fills via the water line.

Is it too late to call in?

Gotta hold it?
    But there's a trench, right?

Just thinking, closed door, opened window.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

At least a couple of companies that I regularly apply to have online applications where the "what was your previous salary" field is mandatory. Those forms at least could be reported.

As far as actual negotiations/interviews go, though, you're right.

In job hunting news, my pal the company trainer put in a good word for me with HR.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Wooo! Got a response from Neil Gaiman's people about doing a Skype call with my book club. He is totally way to busy.

At least I got a response! I figured he would be too busy but hey why not try?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Wooo! Got a response from Neil Gaiman's people about doing a Skype call with my book club. He is totally way to busy.

At least I got a response! I figured he would be too busy but hey why not try?

Did they at least offer you Amanda Palmer?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Is that not a common thing? Because the local high school does it too.

No, that's fuckin morbidly crazy.

Death is walking around plucking students randomly from class, and then their entire course load for the day gets fucked, and they are ostensibly ostracized by the rest of the school.

Its so fucked on so many levels.

This discussion has been closed.