Options

only degs [chat]

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I don't know where I fall on gun control. Target shooting is mega fun. But that mall ninja stuff I just don't understand.

Part of me thinks there should be absolutely Draconian laws when it comes to gun crime. But I know that would be rife with bad applications.

I just really don't want anyone getting shot basically.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    American legislation towards guns is going to take a sudden, sharp turn as soon as 3D printed receivers become a genuine alternative.

We're not quite there yet, but we're dangerously close. There's already dudes selling shitty quality 3D printed receivers that aren't as good as a properly manufactured gun but are a lot better than a zip gun and are still a real gun.

The only difference is quality and reliability, they still shoot bullets.

That will change with refinement over time as 3D printing improves and gets cheaper

Once 3D printing receivers gets even close to par with manufactured receivers, suddenly the gun manufacturers that run the gun lobby see a threat to their profits. Suddenly, there needs to be an impetus for laws to exist to hamper the "danger" these 3D printed guns present, regardless of how real or not that danger is.

Gun laws in the US will change in the next 5-10 years, but it will be because the gun manufacturers are scared of losing money.

Anyone who is interested in manufacturing their own firearm can do so right now. There is nothing stopping me from buying an aluminum block and renting a CNC to turn it into a receiver, using a lathe and rifling bit to turn a rod into a barrel, and then putting it together to create a firearm. The only restriction is that I can't "be in the business of selling firearms" (BATFE has a metric ton of leeway in interpreting what this actually means, and they have historically been pretty anti civilian firearm ownership in enforcement) and I can't create an NFA firearm without applying for a tax stamp from the BATFE.

Also finding a shop that will let a random dude come in and run programs producing a firearm. That first 3D printed one got stalled initially because Stratysys stopped renting them printer time because they wanted no part of it. I'd expect a lot of makerspaces to have similar attitudes about renting CNC time for that.

That's ignoring the fair amount of skill involved in all that.

It was pretty common until a couple of years ago to do "build parties". A group of people would get together, rent time on a CNC at a local shop or manufacturer, purchase kits and learn how to build the rifles. AFAIK they died down after the BATFE started talking about the people participating "being in the business of manufacturing and selling arms".

Link?

I have to believe in a lot of those cases that the shop knew whoever was organizing the build party. It is real easy to fuck up a program in a CNC and create huge damage to it in a heartbeat.

Calguns was the first link. Apparently the issue was the use of CNCs, the BATFE didn't have a problem with renting time on drill presses and lathes. But it was enough to scare off people that I haven't seen anyone talk about a build party on any of the gun forums I read in a couple of years.

That makes complete sense. I'm not letting a random stranger run a program on one of my CNCs for less than the cost of the CNC. Drill presses/lathes? Sign some waivers so if you kill yourself you can't sue and write me a check.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    She wouldn't speak to anyone but him.

God that's so fucked up.

Yeah, it was tremendously awful

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I mean, I like kids a lot and eventually would like to have some, but when it comes to experience with babies I am seriously lacking! Someone left me alone with a baby for like 10 minutes the other day and she started crying and I was like

?? are you ok baby??? what?? *pats back* is this better I guess???? I don't know if I'm supposed to pick you up? baby pls why are you loud?

babbies 101

do not shake

babbies 102

if crying, it is either hungry, needs new diaper, sleepy, or an asshole

it turned out she just doesn't like being inside when it's raining and wanted to go play in puddles

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Even though skippy is cool there is a part of the back of my brain that hesitates at even telling him his adorable babbs are adorable

Though I guess one is no longer even close to a babb, soy is a full on kid jeez

hello fbi I have a hot tip on a child predator

• Options
    I would rather hold a gun than a baby.

Why not resolve both issues and just have the baby hold the gun?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    tbf condoms are bad

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    tbf condoms are bad

bold

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    today in chat: pedos n guns

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    okay well, I'm going to go attempt to salvage my day

goodbye for now, friendos

eat Wendy's.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    tbf condoms are bad

bold

Bold new Doritos Locos condoms, however, are good

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I accidentally sprayed 1 extra spray of decongestant in my nose so now I'll probably get a nose bleed and die right

poo
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I'm still giggling about pitting together a militia-esque armor and vest and then slapping Bernie stickers and No Step on Snake though

Anime is already rul popular on them, fwiw

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    American legislation towards guns is going to take a sudden, sharp turn as soon as 3D printed receivers become a genuine alternative.

We're not quite there yet, but we're dangerously close. There's already dudes selling shitty quality 3D printed receivers that aren't as good as a properly manufactured gun but are a lot better than a zip gun and are still a real gun.

The only difference is quality and reliability, they still shoot bullets.

That will change with refinement over time as 3D printing improves and gets cheaper

Once 3D printing receivers gets even close to par with manufactured receivers, suddenly the gun manufacturers that run the gun lobby see a threat to their profits. Suddenly, there needs to be an impetus for laws to exist to hamper the "danger" these 3D printed guns present, regardless of how real or not that danger is.

Gun laws in the US will change in the next 5-10 years, but it will be because the gun manufacturers are scared of losing money.

Anyone who is interested in manufacturing their own firearm can do so right now. There is nothing stopping me from buying an aluminum block and renting a CNC to turn it into a receiver, using a lathe and rifling bit to turn a rod into a barrel, and then putting it together to create a firearm. The only restriction is that I can't "be in the business of selling firearms" (BATFE has a metric ton of leeway in interpreting what this actually means, and they have historically been pretty anti civilian firearm ownership in enforcement) and I can't create an NFA firearm without applying for a tax stamp from the BATFE.

Also finding a shop that will let a random dude come in and run programs producing a firearm. That first 3D printed one got stalled initially because Stratysys stopped renting them printer time because they wanted no part of it. I'd expect a lot of makerspaces to have similar attitudes about renting CNC time for that.

That's ignoring the fair amount of skill involved in all that.

It was pretty common until a couple of years ago to do "build parties". A group of people would get together, rent time on a CNC at a local shop or manufacturer, purchase kits and learn how to build the rifles. AFAIK they died down after the BATFE started talking about the people participating "being in the business of manufacturing and selling arms".

Link?

I have to believe in a lot of those cases that the shop knew whoever was organizing the build party. It is real easy to fuck up a program in a CNC and create huge damage to it in a heartbeat.

Calguns was the first link. Apparently the issue was the use of CNCs, the BATFE didn't have a problem with renting time on drill presses and lathes. But it was enough to scare off people that I haven't seen anyone talk about a build party on any of the gun forums I read in a couple of years.

That makes complete sense. I'm not letting a random stranger run a program on one of my CNCs for less than the cost of the CNC. Drill presses/lathes? Sign some waivers so if you kill yourself you can't sue and write me a check.

The build parties I knew of were of course organized by people who knew what they were doing and had connections to the people they were renting CNCs from. I guess the BATFE considered the use of a CNC "too easy" but restricting rental time on a manual tool veered too much into territory that would get their hand smacked (again).

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    today in chat: pedos n guns

Well AH is here...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I want to ban
    Aioua wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    My opinion has been that the US left should just give up on gun laws for like... a while.
    The reason it's always really stupidly targeted 'assault weapon' bans is that's all that could pass constitutional muster.

If we wanted to curtail gun deaths we need to ban pistols, and to ban pistols we need to amend the constitution, and that's not happening any time soon.

We should attack it from the other side and work on getting more people mental health services and getting more people out of poverty.

I don't even know many liberals that want weapon bans.

They all want better mental health and screenings instead. Just like.. skip the screening part for a few decades, let the GOP fuck themselves sideways, get mental health stuff added to the ACA and move in with single payer and then win the game.

I mean

I personally want a pistol ban

I am the spooky liberal that wants to take your guns away

I think the country would be better off for it.

But I also don't think it's politically feasible and there are better things to do with our political resources

DC v Heller, while setting precedent for self defense with pistols, doesn't foreclose pistol regulation

But, when cities try to regulate, its always straight up de jure ban (or de facto ban) instead of like, a city ordinance mandating strict training standards

A half ban would be worse IMO

This is America after all so you'd end up with the requirements being selectively enforced against minorities.

this is why I propose banning white people from owning guns.

Oh is it time for "fuck all white people"?

Seems pretty early in the month to use that one up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I accidentally sprayed 1 extra spray of decongestant in my nose so now I'll probably get a nose bleed and die right

You're already dead, ghostshaz

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    A friend of mine ditched a dude she met on tinder because when they were getting into it, she was like "hey I have got condoms in my purse if you don't have any" and he laughed and was like "naw it's cool Plan B is Plan A, I have some for you"

And she was like what no, you fuck all the way off, I'm the fuck out of here.

So she left and she fuckin nuked that guy.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

eat Wendy's.

why though

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    tbf condoms are bad

plan B is so painful though!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Condoms are fine and great, if only because then you stop using them and you're like "omfg this is amaaaazing"

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm still giggling about pitting together a militia-esque armor and vest and then slapping Bernie stickers and No Step on Snake though

Anime is already rul popular on them, fwiw

my next 4x4 will have a no step on snek sticker for sure. right next to the CB radio antenna

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

rip

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    For years I was using condoms without putting a drop of lube on myself first. It's only recently that I tried it and it's like night and day. I don't know why I never needed that suggestion; I guess I had a lot of partners where condom use was infrequent because they were on BC and didn't like condoms.

• Options

congrats you are hopelessly addicted now

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Well, condoms do preclude the possibility of procreation from the sexual act, and thus a violation of God's Will.

... I hadn't put it together until now that I was simultaneously taught that condoms and the pill were bad because of the above, and that you shouldn't bother since they were less effective than the rhythm method that the church endorsed.

Catholics, amirite?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine ditched a dude she met on tinder because when they were getting into it, she was like "hey I have got condoms in my purse if you don't have any" and he laughed and was like "naw it's cool Plan B is Plan A, I have some for you"

And she was like what no, you fuck all the way off, I'm the fuck out of here.

So she left and she fuckin nuked that guy.

:bigfrown:

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I've seriously considered a vesectomy because I don't like to use condoms and I don't want to have kids right now. My dad got one after my youngest brother was born so I got to witness the aftermath, but it still hasn't 100% deterred me.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    tbf condoms are bad

plan B is so painful though!

yeah people often lose a whole day to like, nausea and cramping n shit when they take that stuff

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    For years I was using condoms without putting a drop of lube on myself first. It's only recently that I tried it and it's like night and day. I don't know why I never needed that suggestion; I guess I had a lot of partners where condom use was infrequent because they were on BC and didn't like condoms.

i like lube even less than condoms

it's mostly why we stopped doing the other Plan B

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Minorities being disproportionately affected by gun legislation is one of those oddities where, as a liberal, on the one hand that is obviously bad. We can't have legislation disproportionately affect minorities, plainly.

And yet, it is also poor black communities that are most desperately in need of gun bans. Black people are 17% of the US population but about 50% of the homicide victims. And most of that is driven by a few urban areas, mostly from handguns.

A handgun ban in Baltimore city would be racially disproportionate in its impact. It could also save hundreds of lives a year in one city. So which is more important, the principle or helping to save lives that are usually treated as acceptable losses? I don't think there's a simple answer there.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's so weird how pregnancy>>>>>>>>>>>STIs for straight people fears

Also I'm about to go grab a thing, if geth picks me first pls second person go ahead

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    MBTXuRw.png

I imagine cred hitting agree while curling their lip at the thought of a baby

and ah and gooey hitting agree, imagining holding a gun all swaddled up, cooing to it

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    tQ4DcnA.png

2017 politics is fucking weird, guys

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Vasectomies suck to undergo but rawdoggin with your wife is dope

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    seems pretty naughty

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

eat Wendy's.

why though

why wouldn't you?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Men who use "woman can take care of it" as birth control should be fired into the sun.

• Options
    I am trying to remember if I have any other stories about this guy. I mean, he was also the rich asshole who junked perfectly good stuff for upgrades, and kicked his roommate out to get laid, but that pales in comparison to his other stuff.

He really sucked at DOTA, which was his most unforgivable crime.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I want to ban
    My opinion has been that the US left should just give up on gun laws for like... a while.
    The reason it's always really stupidly targeted 'assault weapon' bans is that's all that could pass constitutional muster.

If we wanted to curtail gun deaths we need to ban pistols, and to ban pistols we need to amend the constitution, and that's not happening any time soon.

We should attack it from the other side and work on getting more people mental health services and getting more people out of poverty.

I don't even know many liberals that want weapon bans.

They all want better mental health and screenings instead. Just like.. skip the screening part for a few decades, let the GOP fuck themselves sideways, get mental health stuff added to the ACA and move in with single payer and then win the game.

I mean

I personally want a pistol ban

I am the spooky liberal that wants to take your guns away

I think the country would be better off for it.

But I also don't think it's politically feasible and there are better things to do with our political resources

DC v Heller, while setting precedent for self defense with pistols, doesn't foreclose pistol regulation

But, when cities try to regulate, its always straight up de jure ban (or de facto ban) instead of like, a city ordinance mandating strict training standards

A half ban would be worse IMO

This is America after all so you'd end up with the requirements being selectively enforced against minorities.

this is why I propose banning white people from owning guns.

Oh is it time for "fuck all white people"?

Seems pretty early in the month to use that one up.

just shit posting, man

This discussion has been closed.