Options

[Trump Immigration Policy] DACA renewals continue due to injunction, SCOTUS denies appeal

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    1989 miles x 5280 ft/mile x 15 feet high

157,528,800 square feet

At $10 per square foot, the plexiglass alone would cost $1.6 billion

To be fair, he said "maybe a steel wall with openings"

Which would probably cost even more!

To be unfair, I'm now imagining him approving a wall opening design you can just pass the drugs through.

I dunno if the correct solution to people throwing drugs OVER your wall is to make it so they can pass drugs THROUGH the wall. I mean, it is equivalent to what is contextually the right solution, which is NO wall, but dear God, there are SO MANY LAYERS OF STUPID HERE.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

157,528,800 square feet

To be fair, he said "maybe a steel wall with openings"

Which would probably cost even more!

To be unfair, I'm now imagining him approving a wall opening design you can just pass the drugs through.

I dunno if the correct solution to people throwing drugs OVER your wall is to make it so they can pass drugs THROUGH the wall. I mean, it is equivalent to what is contextually the right solution, which is NO wall, but dear God, there are SO MANY LAYERS OF STUPID HERE.

He only said "transparent". That doesn't mean anyone is going to be able to get anything through the wall

The Trump admin is probably developing invisible bricks as we speak

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I hear it's the same guy who is designing the President's new clothes

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    So illegal immigration is a problem the wall is intended to solve but drug smuggling is not. Good to know where I can set my expectations.

Is there something lower than absolute zero?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    So illegal immigration is a problem the wall is intended to solve but drug smuggling is not. Good to know where I can set my expectations.

Is there something lower than absolute zero?

Apparently!

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    so the current DACA program is now under focused attack: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/dhss-kelly-tells-hispanic-caucus-daca-might-not-survive-court-challenge/2017/07/12/b1f19686-672b-11e7-9928-22d00a47778f_story.html
    “Jeff Sessions is going to say, ‘Deport them,’ ” a visibly shaken Rep. Luis V. Gutiérrez (D-Ill.) said in English and Spanish, noting that the attorney general had been a fierce opponent of illegal immigration as a senator from Alabama. “If you’re going to count on Jeff Sessions to save DACA, then DACA is ended.”

i know this isn't the Russia thread, but it's relevant: Jeff Sessions is NECK DEEP in Russia horseshit. he should be NOWHERE NEAR the AGs office, and yet here we are.

i think i'm going to need one of those mouth protectors, because i have been grinding my teeth a lot lately

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Oh wait, I misread that. I thought he was talking about that "sensor" 'invisible' wall thing. But he still means a physical wall, that is transparent?

And also solar, apparently.

I don't even...what?

Isn't this the one piece of concrete policy he actually was implied to be interested in?

I don't think concrete has any of those properties :P

Maybe this is how we develop transparent aluminum. That'd be a pretty fitting twist for the darkest timeline.

Transparent aluminum is already a thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Oh wait, I misread that. I thought he was talking about that "sensor" 'invisible' wall thing. But he still means a physical wall, that is transparent?

I don't even...what?

Isn't this the one piece of concrete policy he actually was implied to be interested in?

Maybe this is how we develop transparent aluminum. That'd be a pretty fitting twist for the darkest timeline.

So, given knitdan's math...

157,528,800 square feet

How much are we looking at? Cause I have a feeling that it'd be more expensive than $10 per square foot. Couldn't find a pricing myself. There'd also need to be some bracing/framing involved (as it appears it's made only as big as 18"x36"), but that, the labor and installation cost and some 2000 miles of anti-climbing tech on top, is not important right now. Given the commercial size, and knitdan's math, we'll need 35 million panels. Do you think Surmet Corp will take an IOU until Mexico pays?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I don't even...what?

157,528,800 square feet

How much are we looking at? Cause I have a feeling that it'd be more expensive than $10 per square foot. Couldn't find a pricing myself. There'd also need to be some bracing/framing involved (as it appears it's made only as big as 18"x36"), but that, the labor and installation cost and some 2000 miles of anti-climbing tech on top, is not important right now. Given the commercial size, and knitdan's math, we'll need 35 million panels. Do you think Surmet Corp will take an IOU until Mexico pays?

$10-15 / sqin apparently. So a paltry 226 billion

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

I don't even...what?

157,528,800 square feet

$10-15 / sqin apparently. So a paltry 226 billion

Look, do you want a wall made out of sapphires or not?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If by sapphires you mean "half-assedly spraypaints some foam blue" then sure. The Wall is meant to be the ultimate graft machine, which would probably end up costing $20 billion/mile while being made of such shoddy materials tossed together that it starts to fall over immediately after the photo-shoots are done. Probably wouldn't even need to tunnel underneath it, just quickly dig a hole through it.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    If by sapphires you mean "half-assedly spraypaints some foam blue" then sure. The Wall is meant to be the ultimate graft machine, which would probably end up costing $20 billion/mile while being made of such shoddy materials tossed together that it starts to fall over immediately after the photo-shoots are done. Probably wouldn't even need to tunnel underneath it, just quickly dig a hole through it.

Or just bribe some of the many underpaid guards. Honestly the most effective barrier to illegal immigration is what a rubbish president Trump is. It's really discouraging people from wanting to come here. So Trumps wall is actually made of incompetence and hate.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    i want to get beaned by a huge bag of drugs

down with the trump wall

also i was unsure if that trump comment was a meme or not but nope, he has transcended us all

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

down with the trump wall

also i was unsure if that trump comment was a meme or not but nope, he has transcended us all

He has dementia. Seriously. That whole comment is just confabulation because blanked out and had no idea what he was saying or what was going on.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

down with the trump wall

He has dementia. Seriously. That whole comment is just confabulation because blanked out and had no idea what he was saying or what was going on.

It wouldn't be the first time. Damn America don't pick Agnatic Seniority for your succession law (I have been playing a lot of CK2)

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Or just bribe some of the many underpaid guards. Honestly the most effective barrier to illegal immigration is what a rubbish president Trump is. It's really discouraging people from wanting to come here. So Trumps wall is actually made of incompetence and hate.

No-one wants to emigrate to somewhere that will hate them for their ethnicity. I imagine this is impacting legal immigration, too, especially from Muslim or Latin American countries. Not that Republican voters care - they'd like an immigration rate of zero (legal or illegal), ideally.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

No-one wants to emigrate to somewhere that will hate them for their ethnicity. I imagine this is impacting legal immigration, too, especially from Muslim or Latin American countries. Not that Republican voters care - they'd like an immigration rate of zero (legal or illegal), ideally.

Never mind that immigration is how the United States avoids having as large a deficit in working-age people as some other countries... also, that immigrants moving to a smaller community is often all that keeps it afloat.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/19/supreme-court-administration-may-enforce-refugee-ban-but-must-broaden-family-exemptions-for-travelers-from-six-majority-muslim-countries/?utm_term=.6a5a961e4943
    Supreme Court: Administration may enforce refugee ban, but must broaden family exemptions for travelers from six majority-Muslim countries
    By Washington Post Staff July 19 at 1:25 PM
    The justices allowed the refugee ban to be enforced for now, but said the Trump ban must allow broader exemptions for family members, including grandparents.
    The justices in a short order refused the administration’s request that it stay a lower court’s decision that said the Trump administration had too severely interpreted the court’s decision last month about exempting those with close family relationships.
    This is a developing story. It will be updated.

Oh hey! We partially allowed the executive branch some leeway on its clearly discriminatory policy because of the wide latitude of national security powers. But they took that leeway and ran away with it all the way back into unconstitutional territory! Who could have guessed?

I think I read this in a children's book once. If you give a mouse a cookie....

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/19/supreme-court-administration-may-enforce-refugee-ban-but-must-broaden-family-exemptions-for-travelers-from-six-majority-muslim-countries/?utm_term=.6a5a961e4943
    Supreme Court: Administration may enforce refugee ban, but must broaden family exemptions for travelers from six majority-Muslim countries
    By Washington Post Staff July 19 at 1:25 PM
    The justices allowed the refugee ban to be enforced for now, but said the Trump ban must allow broader exemptions for family members, including grandparents.
    The justices in a short order refused the administration’s request that it stay a lower court’s decision that said the Trump administration had too severely interpreted the court’s decision last month about exempting those with close family relationships.
    This is a developing story. It will be updated.

Oh hey! We partially allowed the executive branch some leeway on its clearly discriminatory policy because of the wide latitude of national security powers. But they took that leeway and ran away with it all the way back into unconstitutional territory! Who could have guessed?

I think I read this in a children's book once. If you give a mouse a cookie....

Oh hey, the SCOTUS decision was exactly as stupid as everyone thought it was from the second it dropped.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, the order itself made sense from a strictly legal perspective, and I'm sure SCOTUS knew they were immediately coming back to it.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I mean, the order itself made sense from a strictly legal perspective, and I'm sure SCOTUS knew they were immediately coming back to it.

This is the court that said “We now conclude that independent expenditures, including those made by corporations, do not give rise to corruption or the appearance of corruption.” It's certainly possible that they were oblivious to the ramifications.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »

This is the court that said “We now conclude that independent expenditures, including those made by corporations, do not give rise to corruption or the appearance of corruption.” It's certainly possible that they were oblivious to the ramifications.

The world makes a lot more sense when you realize "maybe they're idiots" answers a lot of questions.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    This administration has really brought forward all the aspects of the US justice, legal, and administrative systems that were apparently all precariously based on "Well, no one's that evil!" and "We have checks and balances to stop that from happening!"

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »

The world makes a lot more sense when you realize "maybe they're idiots" answers a lot of questions.

To be fair, I think Kennedy was the only one who actually believed it.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Hey this is pretty big news

Legal director for the ACLU of Massachusetts

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Pretty logical conclusion to, given that we have the one SCOTUS ruling that smacked down the Arizona tried to do federal immigration enforcement because they felt the feds weren't doing their job. Local and state police shouldn't be doing ICE's work. If they don't have cause to hold someone for their normal operations, then the person should be let go regardless of immigration status. If nativist shit birds don't like, well too fucking bad. In order for police departments to best serve the public good, those that are exploited, should feel like they can go to the police without fear of being fucked over. Undocumented workers are exploited by individuals that are likely people that need to be reported, but if we let shit heads on the right make them into immigration enforcement, there are a ton of criminal assholes that will get to break the law with impunity because those that can testify against them will be too afraid to step forward. Also IIRC correctly, there was a SCOTUS ruling on detainment like this and SCOTUS ruled that it wasn't constitutional, so there are a number of localities that refuse to hold people for 48 hours because they don't want to be liable for committing an unconstitutional act (ICE probably needs a purge and seeing who is familiar with what constitutional rights are applicable, might be one of the best metrics).

Honestly, we should have a setup where ICE is only notify of someone's legal status if that individual is arrested for a serious crime. We should also have a setup where if someone is a witness to an investigation, and aren't documented, then ICE has to leave them alone (aka when they decide to detain someone, they have to submit the individuals name to the appropriate agency for these matters, if the agency comes back and states this individual is a witness in an ongoing investigation or trial, then ICE has to step off until all matters are concluded). Absolutely stupid that ICE can fuck up things. Also kind of sad that some are such shitty bigots, that they feel it's more important to kick out an undocumented immigrant, even if that means creating a situation where a criminal gets to walk, but it's par for the course with that crowd (they don't really care about jobs, morality, crime or economics, they just care about if they get to shit all over people that aren't part of "their" group).

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Pretty logical conclusion to, given that we have the one SCOTUS ruling that smacked down the Arizona tried to do federal immigration enforcement because they felt the feds weren't doing their job. Local and state police shouldn't be doing ICE's work. If they don't have cause to hold someone for their normal operations, then the person should be let go regardless of immigration status. If nativist shit birds don't like, well too fucking bad. In order for police departments to best serve the public good, those that are exploited, should feel like they can go to the police without fear of being fucked over. Undocumented workers are exploited by individuals that are likely people that need to be reported, but if we let shit heads on the right make them into immigration enforcement, there are a ton of criminal assholes that will get to break the law with impunity because those that can testify against them will be too afraid to step forward. Also IIRC correctly, there was a SCOTUS ruling on detainment like this and SCOTUS ruled that it wasn't constitutional, so there are a number of localities that refuse to hold people for 48 hours because they don't want to be liable for committing an unconstitutional act (ICE probably needs a purge and seeing who is familiar with what constitutional rights are applicable, might be one of the best metrics).

Honestly, we should have a setup where ICE is only notify of someone's legal status if that individual is arrested for a serious crime. We should also have a setup where if someone is a witness to an investigation, and aren't documented, then ICE has to leave them alone (aka when they decide to detain someone, they have to submit the individuals name to the appropriate agency for these matters, if the agency comes back and states this individual is a witness in an ongoing investigation or trial, then ICE has to step off until all matters are concluded). Absolutely stupid that ICE can fuck up things. Also kind of sad that some are such shitty bigots, that they feel it's more important to kick out an undocumented immigrant, even if that means creating a situation where a criminal gets to walk, but it's par for the course with that crowd (they don't really care about jobs, morality, crime or economics, they just care about if they get to shit all over people that aren't part of "their" group).

But what if, and bear with me here, the criminal that they're a witness to (or even victim of) is white?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It should be noted, by the way, that very often these cases are ones taken by public defenders. They do important work.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Mill wrote: »

Honestly, after reading this article from the Times The New Yorker (sorry, messed up the source there...), I'd rather we just clear out the entire agency and start over.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-veteran-ice-agent-disillusioned-with-the-trump-era-speaks-out

Martini_Philosopher on
    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yup that's always been US agencies in charge of this stuff. It's staffed top to bottom almost entirely with ethno-nationalist bigots.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I cannot help but feel that this shit is part of Trump's border control policies.

British newlyweds say they were barred from entering US
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/25/british-newlyweds-say-they-were-barred-from-entering-us
    A British woman has said her honeymoon was ruined after she was held in detention for 26 hours by US border officials before being sent back to the UK.

Natasha Politakis said she and her husband, Ali Gul, were barred from entering the US after flying to Los Angeles to begin their £7,000 honeymoon.

She said the US embassy had since refused to say why she and Gul, who is of Turkish Muslim origin, were stopped by border guards in May.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    I cannot help but feel that this shit is part of Trump's border control policies.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/25/british-newlyweds-say-they-were-barred-from-entering-us
    A British woman has said her honeymoon was ruined after she was held in detention for 26 hours by US border officials before being sent back to the UK.

Natasha Politakis said she and her husband, Ali Gul, were barred from entering the US after flying to Los Angeles to begin their £7,000 honeymoon.

She said the US embassy had since refused to say why she and Gul, who is of Turkish Muslim origin, were stopped by border guards in May.

Three guesses as to why they were stopped, and the first two don't count.

Fuck these racist, xenophobic border control fucks.

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »

Gosh, I hope this sort of thing doesn't hurt the US tourist industry. I'd certainly think twice about booking a vacation in the USA if I were of Middle-Eastern descent. I bet you don't get a refund if you are turned back at the border, either.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Gosh, I hope this sort of thing doesn't hurt the US tourist industry. I'd certainly think twice about booking a vacation in the USA if I were of Middle-Eastern descent. I bet you don't get a refund if you are turned back at the border, either.

Too late, that's already happening. I loathe to think what the tourist industry will look like a year from now.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Working as intended, according to the GOP and/or ICE.

"Brown people go stay home."

• Options

Working as intended, according to the GOP and/or ICE.

"Brown people go stay home."

Which is one of the many ways racism is suicidal to a country. Turning away people who want nothing more than to throw money around and then go home is idiotic.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular

The last line is the worst:

"They said it was down to applicants to prove they were eligible to enter the US."

He had a Visa. That's his eligibility to enter. What other proof does he need? He's traveling on a British passport. Last I checked the UK was not on the ban list.

And in the end they were not even told why they were detained and then sent home. That's crazy.

I know there's a security thing where they search the bags of every 3rd or 5th person as a means of deterring bad people, as they can't always search bags. But is this a "send every 3rd or 5th or 10th person home" as a means of deterrent?

• Options
    Selner wrote: »

I know there's a security thing where they search the bags of every 3rd or 5th person as a means of deterring bad people, as they can't always search bags. But is this a "send every 3rd or 5th or 10th person home" as a means of deterrent?

Muslims often experience problems at the US border. Perhaps he had a name the same as someone on a watchlist, or looked a bit similar to them. It's just bigotry.

• Options
    Selner wrote: »

The last line is the worst:

"They said it was down to applicants to prove they were eligible to enter the US."

He had a Visa. That's his eligibility to enter. What other proof does he need? He's traveling on a British passport. Last I checked the UK was not on the ban list.

And in the end they were not even told why they were detained and then sent home. That's crazy.

Having a visa doesn't mean anything, legally speaking. It's too tiring to go through it all but while consulates can hand them it out to those who apply, it doesn't guarantee anything once you hit US soil. There's no contract, no law, nothing which states that the US has to let you enter even if you have all your paperwork and whatnot in line and ready for the customs agent.

It's quite likely that the person who turned them away decided to not like their face and decided to not let them enter. Custom agents have a large leeway when it comes to denying entry. Of course that leeway allows them all sorts of cover for their bigoted, racist, backwards reactions. It doesn't help things that ICE was largely conceived and implemented under racist pretenses so when it comes to trying to reform immigration to something less economicly or socially suicidal you get lots of pushback from people who have a vested interest in keeping out the very people you're trying to let in.

• Options
    In other terrible news, ICE appears to have begun arresting non-citizens who show up for their marriage green card interviews.

From a immigration lawyer:

This discussion has been closed.