Options

Completely original [Chat] about beloved childhood books.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I will say, I think Apo keeps asking because the responses to his questions have been confused, incoherent, inconsistent, and unsatisfying, specifically in this area.

I have seen many discussions on this point and never grasped the argument of the side I myself tend to be politically aligned with.

What happens is the discussion starts, and work or time zones intervene, and it is not satisfactorily concluded

you don't think it's a matter of the responses being clear and complete and unconvincing?

sig.gif
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    i went to cafe du monde one time

it was ok

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    So, my mom had kind of a potentially scary incident yesterday.

She was getting into her car at a store downtown, and some random tweaker got into the passenger side and looked at her with his wild eyes and said "...can you give me a ride to the 7-11 up the road?"

Like he just... got into her car and asked for a ride? He didn't threaten her or anything, although his presence already sitting in her car was kinda threatening enough. So, she gave him a ride to the 7-11 up the road. My mother used to be a social worker who worked with a lot of mentally ill and unstable people so she's actually pretty good at remaining calm and talking to folks like this, so when he wasn't... doing so good while she was driving she was able to keep him talking and focused so he didn't do anything.

They got to the 7-11, and he got out, and when he was in the store she drove away and called the cops.

It's the kind of situation where, if she wasn't who she was and had her specific skills and stuff, it could have possibly been a lot worse!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    honestly unsure what this discussion is about. Well, was. Now it's a meta discussion about discussion, I guess.

EDM? Cultural appropriation? Warm or cold?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    every southern themed show has a cafe du monde tin in their kitchen.
    another fact
    half of the people with cafe du monde tins in their kitchen have never actually been there

In laws brought back a tin of their coffee with chicory

Gross

The french roast was good

The chicory is great IF IF IF IF

You are also eating something shockingly sweet alongside it.

like a stack of beignets taller than you are

well let's be honest.

It's really a stack of powdered sugar. There are two beignets at the bottom.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg
    even i cannot understand how this passes as a breakfast

Still less sugar than most cereals.

• Options
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg
    even i cannot understand how this passes as a breakfast
    ok let me explain

it's called breakfast because it's breaking the fast of the night

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    So, my mom had kind of a potentially scary incident yesterday.

She was getting into her car at a store downtown, and some random tweaker got into the passenger side and looked at her with his wild eyes and said "...can you give me a ride to the 7-11 up the road?"

Like he just... got into her car and asked for a ride? He didn't threaten her or anything, although his presence already sitting in her car was kinda threatening enough. So, she gave him a ride to the 7-11 up the road. My mother used to be a social worker who worked with a lot of mentally ill and unstable people so she's actually pretty good at remaining calm and talking to folks like this, so when he wasn't... doing so good while she was driving she was able to keep him talking and focused so he didn't do anything.

They got to the 7-11, and he got out, and when he was in the store she drove away and called the cops.

It's the kind of situation where, if she wasn't who she was and had her specific skills and stuff, it could have possibly been a lot worse!

good lord Im glad she is ok, yeah that had the potential to go wrong for so many people

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    every southern themed show has a cafe du monde tin in their kitchen.
    another fact
    half of the people with cafe du monde tins in their kitchen have never actually been there

In laws brought back a tin of their coffee with chicory

Gross

The french roast was good

The chicory is great IF IF IF IF

You are also eating something shockingly sweet alongside it.

like a stack of beignets taller than you are

well let's be honest.

It's really a stack of powdered sugar. There are two beignets at the bottom.

Its just wasteful.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    One of my favorite things about Homeworld is the VO, not that the quality is particularly stellar or anything, but just how professional all your little space dudes sound, while still conveying the emotional horror of shit they're seeing/going through

like "okay brain that's my home being obliterated but time to do our jerb"

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I will say, I think Apo keeps asking because the responses to his questions have been confused, incoherent, inconsistent, and unsatisfying, specifically in this area.

I have seen many discussions on this point and never grasped the argument of the side I myself tend to be politically aligned with.

What happens is the discussion starts, and work or time zones intervene, and it is not satisfactorily concluded

you don't think it's a matter of the responses being clear and complete and unconvincing?

Also entirely possible, but I haven't seen a structured, complete argument for the idea of cultural appropriation yet--and as HD said, responses vary WILDLY

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    honestly unsure what this discussion is about. Well, was. Now it's a meta discussion about discussion, I guess.

Now the discussion is about Abdhyius opinion on the discussion. [chat]-ception!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    New Orleans coffee is so good tho

chicory coffee originated when union blockades cut off the coffee supply to the port of new orleans during the civil war

thanks, yankees!

thanksees

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I have been to Cafe du Monde a few times and every time it was gloriously delicious and I became covered in powdered sugar and then my dad had to drive 9 hours with me in the car

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I think there is probably a nugget of thought on cultural appropriation that I agree with wholeheartedly, but I think there is a lot that I probably am not willing to align with (I've mentioned recently that I've been thinking of buying some keffiyehs, and have as a result fallen down a weird hole of this stuff that has mostly left me confused).

How do you intend to wear the keffiyeh and what do you expect it to signify? I feel like often people use it to signal a political position on the middle east.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Also entirely possible, but I haven't seen a structured, complete argument for the idea of cultural appropriation yet--and as HD said, responses vary WILDLY

hmmm

i guess i will keep an open mind then

sig.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options

my opinion is that the meta discussion is zzz

now what was the topic

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    eze1e4nfkg9g.jpg

This is a cafe du monde beignet plate.

Notice how there is still a shitload of powdered sugar, but it is an amount that could conceivably stay on the pastry until you start biting down on it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Is the question "why should we keep accurate historical records?" because it seems pretty self explanatory as to why you'd want to do that.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I am so excited about my GBA. What a good system.

Only thing I'm kind of bummed about is the lack of a headphone jack.

There is a dongle for that system also, if I remember correctly

yes i had a dongle for my SP IIRC

i had a nice fire red SP, with a pelican leather case

so sexy

poo
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The sun this morning looked like a bright moon from all the smoke. Ugh.

• Options

my opinion is that the meta discussion is zzz

now what was the topic

o it was cultural appropriation! via... dance music started by lgbt groups?

sig.gif
  • Options
    note, that's the brand pelican, not leather made from pelican

poo
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I mean, I've written posts detailing what the specific definition of it is, why its harmful, with historical examples (as have others). I can't really agree that I or others haven't made earnest effort to present a coherent, consistent answer that would satisfy, at a minimum, why others might care about the issue.

Which isn't to say that every post has been the above or that this topic has settled, only that the conversation has been had enough that having to begin at the same place each time is a colossal waste of time for everyone involved.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Also depends on who we're appropriating from

Appropriated the hell out of a white male nerd safe space, and that's just the way the cookie crumbles

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    It is my opinion that cultural appropriation is not, in and of itself, evil. It is a complex and contextual subject that has to be judged on a case by case basis.

I'll let bae Lindsay Ellis go into more detail about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ARX0-AylFI

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

I think there is probably a nugget of thought on cultural appropriation that I agree with wholeheartedly, but I think there is a lot that I probably am not willing to align with (I've mentioned recently that I've been thinking of buying some keffiyehs, and have as a result fallen down a weird hole of this stuff that has mostly left me confused).

How do you intend to wear the keffiyeh and what do you expect it to signify? I feel like often people use it to signal a political position on the middle east.

I have one that I got through basically the only channel that means you can vote something that's not deeply red, since I got mine in the army because it's a useful thing

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

Yeah you can't escape the symbol even if you want to. Sometimes people fuck up your thing that you like, and you have to abandon it. We had this discussion with Squeakel recently in re: pepe.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    LASIK is dope if you can afford the up front

Cheaper than glasses or contacts long term

The ROI on buying contacts (based on what I paid for astigmatic lenses and what I paid for LASIK) is like 16 years, though. I guess sooner if you factor in contact solution, but it's entirely possible that I'll need glasses again by then. If you factor in a pair of glasses every 2-3 years, that figure only drops to 14 years.

It's a convenience thing, not an investment.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    things i liked about new orleans when i went there

1. seeing a cool jazz band at a place with a lot of locals dancing along

2. seeing a cool jazz band at the touristy jazz place

things i didn't like about new orleans when i went there

1. the street that was filled with strip clubs and drunk tourists and loud-not-particularly-good-live-music and street performers who were extremely aggressive about asking for tips

things that made me 'ok this is fine but i'm not sure why this is considered this big thing' at new orleans

1. the coffee and the watchamacallit at the cafe du etc

wandering on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Appropriate away. I'm kind of down with cultural appropriation, it is often how we get new and interesting takes on things. It's also how we got modern BBQ.

• Options
    I OWN TOO MANY THINGS AND MY LIFE AND MIND ARE AS CLUTTERED AS MY ROOM

poo
  • Options
    porpporp Registered User regular
    Shark and I leave for NYC today! Yipeee! :P

• Options
    *burns down america*

poo
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    My favourite genre of music? -chuckles sensibly- Oh, I just listen to Top 20 songs that have been parodied with Overwatch lyrics

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I heard someone disparage Cafe du Monde and came as quickly as I could to fite motherfuckers

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Dance music appropriated?

Just wait a few years when some hipsters "discover" the dance music from 30 years ago as the new cool.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Man that just sorta reminds me of how when I was in middle school I listened to lots of electronic stuff.

Trance, D&B, Jungle, Industrial whatever you call stuff like Aphex Twin and Peaches and Lords of Acid.

But that was weird back then. People would make fun of that stuff.

Now electronic stuff is the most popular stuff.

It's always so weird how that works. The same stuff that was made fun of is now popular and listened to by those that made fun of it before.

It must be really lamentable, to be a queer poc and have your culture invaded by the same dudebros that said culture originally arose to provide refuge from

This is actually a really good case study in cultural appropriation. That people are forgetting its ties the gay community is the reason it's a problem (not that more people are making and enjoying the music).

Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because it's another way that a marginalized group has their contributions to art and culture denied.

It's a problem because it's another way that a historically othered group continues to be othered.

It's a problem because it's another way the dominant group asserts its cultural hegemony.

What do you mean? Denied how?

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

how many times have we had this argument

do you really think there's some three-line post that will answer your questions, or is this a skoofum style "what i mean by i don't understand is that i don't agree" way of sliding into an argumentative lecture
    TL DR wrote: »
    Man that just sorta reminds me of how when I was in middle school I listened to lots of electronic stuff.

Trance, D&B, Jungle, Industrial whatever you call stuff like Aphex Twin and Peaches and Lords of Acid.

But that was weird back then. People would make fun of that stuff.

Now electronic stuff is the most popular stuff.

It's always so weird how that works. The same stuff that was made fun of is now popular and listened to by those that made fun of it before.

It must be really lamentable, to be a queer poc and have your culture invaded by the same dudebros that said culture originally arose to provide refuge from

This is actually a really good case study in cultural appropriation. That people are forgetting its ties the gay community is the reason it's a problem (not that more people are making and enjoying the music).

Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because it's another way that a marginalized group has their contributions to art and culture denied.

It's a problem because it's another way that a historically othered group continues to be othered.

It's a problem because it's another way the dominant group asserts its cultural hegemony.

What do you mean? Denied how?

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

I'm going to be honest, I'm having a real hard time wanting to engage you on this topic due to past interactions. Literally all of these questions have been answered in previous posts on the subject.

I guess there's little that upsets people as much as difficulty articulating their own beliefs, as I said, my questions were in earnest

While you're always pretty civil about it, often moreso than your interlocutors, when you know someone means "that's bullshit" by asking you Socratic questions, it's irritating and can come off as hostile/disingenuous. For this question what you're basically asking is "engage in an extended discussion about identity politics, cultural appropriation, and the various interpenetrative issues with empirical data vs introspection vs unstudied problems vs the lack of credibility of marginalized groups"

That's a big ask! I know that the alternative is to have people bounce their ideas around the echo chamber, and certainly people ARE vexed by how hard it is to articulate the ideas they easily allude to, but that's not the whole issue. To be repeatedly asked to justify one's entire set of beliefs every time the issue comes up is exhausting.

This is why we should make a thread about it when repeated discussions like this come up in chat, IMO, though I know I am as guilty as anyone else of not doing so.

Thank you for the acknowledgement of relative civility, it is something toward which I actively and obviously imperfectly work toward. I acknowledge that Socratic questioning can be obvious and aggressive, but as I say, I was not in this instance being anything but earnest.

My thoroughgoing position is probably obvious enough for now - that we ought be able to explain the details of why we think something as a general principle. And the other commonality is that most of the arguments we have is due to disagreements at some more fundamental level - not talking about that actual disagreement is essentially talking past one another or duelling assertions (which is convincing to no one and it occurrence is often apparent to neither party).

But regarding your conclusion, I agree we ought have more threads to discuss issues in depth, but there are also zero threads of substance these days and given how anything that courts controversy is quickly closed I thought they were more or less discouraged. But that is probably misreading the climate

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    desc wrote: »
    As much as I get low key genuinely depressed and angry about the extent to which the internet has been turned into s fucking store, I think things like the erasure of whole communities from the art historical record of genres is the sort of thing the internet is very good at pushing back against.

Not just in real time but old photos demonstrating, like, "well actually a bunch of queer kids / whoever were instrumental in making this thing that Europeans later imported and re-sold back to Americans" can be rescued from the bottom of a shoebox, scanned, uploaded, and get propagated out rapidly.

Americans are incredibly touchy about the idea of elitism so there's this bizarre yet constant demand for trivialized novelties to be sold for viewing to people with no skin in the game. I don't know a smiley face way to say that -- people want a cleaned up version of something that needs to be tended inside of a cultural greenhouse by a minimum critical mass of people who are invested, but when you rip the art out of that environment, the yahoos and looky-loos either scoff at what they know is as flimsy a cash grab as everything else they've bought or they turn it into a Disney Vegas shitshow for three years and declare it passé.

I want the historical record to show the people who actually tended to the living thing so that the next generation of people ready to break ranks with the passive audience and start giving a shit will be buoyed by the trail that they realize stretches backward behind for lifetimes.

This is probably one of the biggest positive influences of the internet: reclamation projects. I'm afraid we are starting to slide back towards a more centralized cultural experience as the internet matures, but lots of good work has been done to show that all of this great art is connected to the material circumstances of people who care deeply about, not only being creative, but fostering a space for themselves and others like them (even if the culture at large was indifferent or hostile at the time).

This discussion has been closed.