Options

Completely original [Chat] about beloved childhood books.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    credeiki wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I will say, I think Apo keeps asking because the responses to his questions have been confused, incoherent, inconsistent, and unsatisfying, specifically in this area.

I have seen many discussions on this point and never grasped the argument of the side I myself tend to be politically aligned with.

What happens is the discussion starts, and work or time zones intervene, and it is not satisfactorily concluded

I think there is probably a nugget of thought on cultural appropriation that I agree with wholeheartedly, but I think there is a lot that I probably am not willing to align with (I've mentioned recently that I've been thinking of buying some keffiyehs, and have as a result fallen down a weird hole of this stuff that has mostly left me confused).

How do you intend to wear the keffiyeh and what do you expect it to signify? I feel like often people use it to signal a political position on the middle east.

However I feel like at the time. I'm not buying the one with the political pattern, obviously(?). It isn't intended to signal a position, really, it's mostly wanting a more versatile scarf and liking some of the patterns that the Hirbawi factory puts out.

(Also, I got one years ago for camping, because it keeps dust out of my face and eyes, and I feel guilty about buying a mass produced Chinese one in retrospect, so it's sort of an atonement for that)

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2017
    wandering wrote: »
    things i liked about new orleans when i went there

1. seeing a cool jazz band at a place with a lot of locals dancing along

2. seeing a cool jazz band at the touristy jazz place

things i didn't like about new orleans when i went there

1. the street that was filled with strip clubs and drunk tourists and loud-not-particularly-good-live-music and street performers who were extremely aggressive about asking for tips

things that made me 'ok this is fine but i'm not sure why this is considered this big thing' at new orleans

1. the coffee and the watchamacallit at the cafe du etc

My favorite new orleans food thing tho is the sunday brunch buffet at Court of Two Sisters.

Springtime day, sit outside under the canopy of vines and lattice, drink champagne and orange juice and eat lobster, filet, crawfish, and a million other expensive and delicious things.

It cost 20 bucks a head in the 90s, I have to imagine it is so much more now.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    It is my opinion that cultural appropriation is not, in and of itself, evil. It is a complex and contextual subject that has to be judged on a case by case basis.

I'll let bae Lindsay Ellis go into more detail about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ARX0-AylFI

the first two minutes of this where they make fun of pocohontas and moana being the same movie are pretty great

sig.gif
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I will say, I think Apo keeps asking because the responses to his questions have been confused, incoherent, inconsistent, and unsatisfying, specifically in this area.

I have seen many discussions on this point and never grasped the argument of the side I myself tend to be politically aligned with.

What happens is the discussion starts, and work or time zones intervene, and it is not satisfactorily concluded

I think there is probably a nugget of thought on cultural appropriation that I agree with wholeheartedly, but I think there is a lot that I probably am not willing to align with (I've mentioned recently that I've been thinking of buying some keffiyehs, and have as a result fallen down a weird hole of this stuff that has mostly left me confused).

How do you intend to wear the keffiyeh and what do you expect it to signify? I feel like often people use it to signal a political position on the middle east.

Yeah you can't escape the symbol even if you want to. Sometimes people fuck up your thing that you like, and you have to abandon it. We had this discussion with Squeakel recently in re: pepe.

I've stopped wearing my mjolnir, someone straight up asked me if I was a white supremacist.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    LASIK is dope if you can afford the up front

Cheaper than glasses or contacts long term

The ROI on buying contacts (based on what I paid for astigmatic lenses and what I paid for LASIK) is like 16 years, though. I guess sooner if you factor in contact solution, but it's entirely possible that I'll need glasses again by then. If you factor in a pair of glasses every 2-3 years, that figure only drops to 14 years.

It's a convenience thing, not an investment.

Glasses every couple years for me was 4-500, LASIK all told was 3k?

Its a convenience thing, but i don't agree that the economics of it are as dismal as you're making out

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    honestly unsure what this discussion is about. Well, was. Now it's a meta discussion about discussion, I guess.

EDM? Cultural appropriation? Warm or cold?

Now the discussion is about Abdhyius opinion on the discussion. [chat]-ception!

my opinion is that the meta discussion is zzz

now what was the topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUduTLYXYuU

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

I have one that I got through basically the only channel that means you can vote something that's not deeply red, since I got mine in the army because it's a useful thing

Right, and I do not know what's up with it internationally or even all over the US, but in my circles it's something that you'd wear if you were, like, a jew who is super into palestine? Or presumably a non-jew who is super into palestine, I suppose. And it definitely has that political signalling whether or not you want that.

I also haven't seen one in forever so maybe they're passe.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I thought beniegts were meant to be served in a bag so you shake them in the powdered sugar while they're hot and it turns into a glaze

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg
    even i cannot understand how this passes as a breakfast

are you at cafe du monde

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    porp wrote: »
    Shark and I leave for NYC today! Yipeee! :P

you decided to come to NYC the night i leave NYC so i hate u

poo
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    My favourite genre of music? -chuckles sensibly- Oh, I just listen to Top 20 songs that have been parodied with Overwatch lyrics

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Also we're a bunch of bougie bitches and we're not wearing birth control glasses

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg

This is dessert

I'm taking a stand because words have meanings

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I heard someone disparage Cafe du Monde and came as quickly as I could to fite motherfuckers
    Someone disparaged cafe du monde? I wasn't paying attention.

Ma! go get mu gun.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Yeah you can't escape the symbol even if you want to. Sometimes people fuck up your thing that you like, and you have to abandon it. We had this discussion with Squeakel recently in re: pepe.

I think the symbol is the one pattern? Without the white and black fishnet it's a big cotton square.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Atomika wrote: »
    I heard someone disparage Cafe du Monde and came as quickly as I could to fite motherfuckers

Try me

On that diet of beignets can you fight a bad cold

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg

This is dessert

Nuuuuuuuuunneeeezzzzzzzzz

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Pepe ... you did nothing wrong ... you were just too pure for this world ...

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg

This is dessert

do they

poo
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    what if i told you cultural appropriation is a tool of the capitalist machine

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg

This is dessert

Breakfast
    noun
    1.the first meal of the day; morning meal:

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Dude not before 9 A.M. PST

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

However I feel like at the time. I'm not buying the one with the political pattern, obviously(?). It isn't intended to signal a position, really, it's mostly wanting a more versatile scarf and liking some of the patterns that the Hirbawi factory puts out.

(Also, I got one years ago for camping, because it keeps dust out of my face and eyes, and I feel guilty about buying a mass produced Chinese one in retrospect, so it's sort of an atonement for that)

hmmm wait maybe I actually don't know what a keffiyeh is

not that black and white thing often seen here as a neckscarf? Is it just sort of a generic scarf?

spl325-18_1.jpg

????

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Cultural appropriation is a hard issue to grok in discussion because it's generally a loaded negative term but like, everything and even respectful use could also be cultural appropriation under a neutral understanding. It seems to generally boil down to a really fuzzy argument reminiscent of the "Should you credit the artist? Don't care/yes, in some fashion/yes, loudly/don't share other's work outside of specific contexts" debates.

In the end, I agree there should be more respect and understanding of the roots of art movements but on the other hand that winds up being a massive ask when you pile it on the performers or especially consumers of culture with roots older than they are, for every genre, across all forms of art.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    But regarding your conclusion, I agree we ought have more threads to discuss issues in depth, but there are also zero threads of substance these days and given how anything that courts controversy is quickly closed I thought they were more or less discouraged. But that is probably misreading the climate

*clicks the disagree button*

If you disagree about threads having substance, I implore you to post in them to offer an alternative opinion.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

This is a great slogan.

You should put it on bumper stickers and sell it, make a fortune.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I will always be pro-LASIK, and speak highly of it. It was a huge, life-changing decision for me. But I also didn't ever really wear contacts and found glasses really troublesome and annoying, so LASIK was a pretty massive shift for me.

(also my wife is a center director for a major LASIK corporation so I'm pretty much in the pocket of BIG LASIK, full disclosure)

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    God fucking damnit Bell Aliant, get your shit together. How do you let your entire network go down and take out both cell and landline service?! And to top it off, some 911 services are being affected by it too.

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I wonder...

Will Pepe be in the history books of the future in the same way that fascist propoaganda of the teens, 20s and thirties are today?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Man that just sorta reminds me of how when I was in middle school I listened to lots of electronic stuff.

Trance, D&B, Jungle, Industrial whatever you call stuff like Aphex Twin and Peaches and Lords of Acid.

But that was weird back then. People would make fun of that stuff.

Now electronic stuff is the most popular stuff.

It's always so weird how that works. The same stuff that was made fun of is now popular and listened to by those that made fun of it before.

It must be really lamentable, to be a queer poc and have your culture invaded by the same dudebros that said culture originally arose to provide refuge from

This is actually a really good case study in cultural appropriation. That people are forgetting its ties the gay community is the reason it's a problem (not that more people are making and enjoying the music).

Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because it's another way that a marginalized group has their contributions to art and culture denied.

It's a problem because it's another way that a historically othered group continues to be othered.

It's a problem because it's another way the dominant group asserts its cultural hegemony.

What do you mean? Denied how?

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

how many times have we had this argument

do you really think there's some three-line post that will answer your questions, or is this a skoofum style "what i mean by i don't understand is that i don't agree" way of sliding into an argumentative lecture
    Man that just sorta reminds me of how when I was in middle school I listened to lots of electronic stuff.

Trance, D&B, Jungle, Industrial whatever you call stuff like Aphex Twin and Peaches and Lords of Acid.

But that was weird back then. People would make fun of that stuff.

Now electronic stuff is the most popular stuff.

It's always so weird how that works. The same stuff that was made fun of is now popular and listened to by those that made fun of it before.

It must be really lamentable, to be a queer poc and have your culture invaded by the same dudebros that said culture originally arose to provide refuge from

This is actually a really good case study in cultural appropriation. That people are forgetting its ties the gay community is the reason it's a problem (not that more people are making and enjoying the music).

Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because it's another way that a marginalized group has their contributions to art and culture denied.

It's a problem because it's another way that a historically othered group continues to be othered.

It's a problem because it's another way the dominant group asserts its cultural hegemony.

What do you mean? Denied how?

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

I'm going to be honest, I'm having a real hard time wanting to engage you on this topic due to past interactions. Literally all of these questions have been answered in previous posts on the subject.

I guess there's little that upsets people as much as difficulty articulating their own beliefs, as I said, my questions were in earnest

While you're always pretty civil about it, often moreso than your interlocutors, when you know someone means "that's bullshit" by asking you Socratic questions, it's irritating and can come off as hostile/disingenuous. For this question what you're basically asking is "engage in an extended discussion about identity politics, cultural appropriation, and the various interpenetrative issues with empirical data vs introspection vs unstudied problems vs the lack of credibility of marginalized groups"

That's a big ask! I know that the alternative is to have people bounce their ideas around the echo chamber, and certainly people ARE vexed by how hard it is to articulate the ideas they easily allude to, but that's not the whole issue. To be repeatedly asked to justify one's entire set of beliefs every time the issue comes up is exhausting.

This is why we should make a thread about it when repeated discussions like this come up in chat, IMO, though I know I am as guilty as anyone else of not doing so.

Thank you for the acknowledgement of relative civility, it is something toward which I actively and obviously imperfectly work toward. I acknowledge that Socratic questioning can be obvious and aggressive, but as I say, I was not in this instance being anything but earnest.

My thoroughgoing position is probably obvious enough for now - that we ought be able to explain the details of why we think something as a general principle. And the other commonality is that most of the arguments we have is due to disagreements at some more fundamental level - not talking about that actual disagreement is essentially talking past one another or duelling assertions (which is convincing to no one and it occurrence is often apparent to neither party).

But regarding your conclusion, I agree we ought have more threads to discuss issues in depth, but there are also zero threads of substance these days and given how anything that courts controversy is quickly closed I thought they were more or less discouraged. But that is probably misreading the climate

Feel free to make a thread on this topic. The button is over there. I don't think chat is the place to engage in this the way you appear to want to.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    you know what we haven't talked about in ages?
    sandwiches
    wHAZkUE.jpg

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    My favourite genre of music? -chuckles sensibly- Oh, I just listen to Top 20 songs that have been parodied with Overwatch lyrics

You see, this one is I Kissed A Girl, but it's about Widowmaker, so it's actually an extremely relevant piece of music, and then you can just kind of click the related videos to all kinds of pop songs that are now about Overwatch!!!

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Also we're a bunch of bougie bitches and we're not wearing birth control glasses

I still have mine. They are nearly indestructible.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

This is a great slogan.

You should put it on bumper stickers and sell it, make a fortune.

sells 1m stickers

net profit: $0.25

• Options
    It is my opinion that cultural appropriation is not, in and of itself, evil. It is a complex and contextual subject that has to be judged on a case by case basis.

I'll let bae Lindsay Ellis go into more detail about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ARX0-AylFI

the first two minutes of this where they make fun of pocohontas and moana being the same movie are pretty great

Ellis' take on the Transformers movies are works of art.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Appropriate away. I'm kind of down with cultural appropriation, it is often how we get new and interesting takes on things. It's also how we got modern BBQ.

You can have cultural exchange without being appropriative; the issue isn't that modern BBQ exists, but that presumably the originating culture hasn't received just compense for their contribution to the greater BBQ zeitgeist.

• Options
    Someone brought a kid to work today. Productivity amongst the ladies in the office is shit.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I OWN TOO MANY THINGS AND MY LIFE AND MIND ARE AS CLUTTERED AS MY ROOM

meditate.

• Options

Dude not before 9 A.M. PST

like anyone on the west coast is up this early anyway

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The problem with cultural appropriate is it is usually closely followed by entitled statements like "get over it" or "if you dont like 'dress up holiday' then deal with it". Additionally in almost all instances it is done distinctly without the honoring so claimed to be with. The Indians and Redskins are notable instances. Indians have had some history of getting rid of Wahoo, although they haven't, but the Redskins fly with the honoring aspect even though it is a racial slur. Other notable excuses are of the realm of "my great great grandma was cherokee" or the like which is just an absurd thing to say.

This discussion has been closed.