As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News... in a good way.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Edit: deleted for dragging thread off topic.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    People who go inside to pay are monsters regardless.

You either pay at the pump or you are literally Hitler. There's no real inbetween here.

In a world full of dumb complaints, this one gets an honourable mention.

Also, maybe I paid at the pump but I want a drink or snack from inside, I'm such a monster for leaving my car at the pump while I do that instead of starting it, moving it 4 feet, and turning it off again...

Well, yeah, at a busy gas station, definitely. It's incredibly inconsiderate.

That is certainly true and the context on which the whole thing hinges. If more than half the pumps are open, it's not going to be a big deal. Having worked at a gas station with attached convenience store and fast food counters in high school, people who did that during rush hour when the pumps are all busy are the worst kinds of assholes.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Jefferson Memorial cleaned by use of lasers
    A high-tech method using lasers to clean a grimy black coating on the Jefferson Memorial's dome has proved successful, the National Park Service said Tuesday, and officials now want to give the rest of the monument a full laser scrub-down.

. . .

The black coating — known as a biofilm — is made up of a colony of microscopic organisms that sticks to stone surfaces and has been slowly overtaking the monument for the past several years.

Last year, park service officials began searching for a cleaning solution that would be able to remove the biofilm without damaging the monument’s historic marble or using harsh chemicals that would harm the surrounding environment.

“It’s very strong, it’s very difficult to get rid of,” Litterst said. “And the treatment of biofilm on historic structures is still sort of in its infancy, so we were sort of experimenting and trying to find the best possible way to go about and treat this problem.”

The park service aims to use the laser treatment to remove the rest of the biofilm from the memorial next year alongside a related project to rehabilitate the memorial’s roofs. But that depends on whether the park service gets the full funding for the project officials have requested.

I would definitely enjoy cleaning around the house more of the method involved hitting the dirt with lasers.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    A high-tech method using lasers to clean a grimy black coating on the Jefferson Memorial's dome has proved successful, the National Park Service said Tuesday, and officials now want to give the rest of the monument a full laser scrub-down.

. . .

The black coating — known as a biofilm — is made up of a colony of microscopic organisms that sticks to stone surfaces and has been slowly overtaking the monument for the past several years.

Last year, park service officials began searching for a cleaning solution that would be able to remove the biofilm without damaging the monument’s historic marble or using harsh chemicals that would harm the surrounding environment.

“It’s very strong, it’s very difficult to get rid of,” Litterst said. “And the treatment of biofilm on historic structures is still sort of in its infancy, so we were sort of experimenting and trying to find the best possible way to go about and treat this problem.”

The park service aims to use the laser treatment to remove the rest of the biofilm from the memorial next year alongside a related project to rehabilitate the memorial’s roofs. But that depends on whether the park service gets the full funding for the project officials have requested.

I would definitely enjoy cleaning around the house more of the method involved hitting the dirt with lasers.

You would at first. But after a little while, pulling out the laser scrubber would just be another chore.
    And then lasers would be boring to you.

How terrible would that be?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

. . .

You would at first. But after a little while, pulling out the laser scrubber would just be another chore.

But on the plus side, Roger Wilco cosplay!

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    What happens when the chyron writer daydreams:

Deadspin is ostensibly a sports news website, though we're not sure about that Magary fellow.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

. . .

Then you get a Roomba that uses lasers.

I mean, the human race is doomed then. But it would be cool.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    People who go inside to pay are monsters regardless.

You either pay at the pump or you are literally Hitler. There's no real inbetween here.

In a world full of dumb complaints, this one gets an honourable mention.

Also, maybe I paid at the pump but I want a drink or snack from inside, I'm such a monster for leaving my car at the pump while I do that instead of starting it, moving it 4 feet, and turning it off again...

Yes.

Unless there is a bunch of empty pumps obviously, then it doesn't matter.

shryke on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    A little disappointed the lasers worked, because telling the story of the mysterious biofilm on the memorials and removing it with lasers is Gold content to tourists

This stuff is on all the monuments, but the position of the Jefferson Memorial right in the middle of what used to be the river means a lot more moisture and wind exposure, which means faster growth of the biofilm

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I for one am looking forward to oddly satisfying YouTube videos showing people power washing with lasers.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I love the sound it makes too

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I kind of want to know what that'd do to flesh.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

It sounds like the future. It sounds like science!

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Deadspin is ostensibly a sports news website, though we're not sure about that Magary fellow.

My sister goes to med school at Michigan. I told her she should try and get close to Jake Butt so that they could get married and she could then be Doctor Butt. My plan did not come to fruition.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

My sister goes to med school at Michigan. I told her she should try and get close to Jake Butt so that they could get married and she could then be Doctor Butt. My plan did not come to fruition.

Did she at least end up a butt doctor?

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

Did she at least end up a butt doctor?

No, but...

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    You should hear this one:

https://youtu.be/WcvcEg0xGYY

It's like those toys we owned as a kid were accurate as far as the sound lasers make.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

Not much, the laser needs to be attenuated at the wavelength your skin burns off of, which is different from metal.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I give you Panda Fails:

https://youtu.be/RLQiAqc1MI8

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    that's pretty gross, some of those look like actual painful falls, not just chubby bear rolls

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    that's pretty gross, some of those look like actual painful falls, not just chubby bear rolls

They all looked fine to me, it seemed like they had enough padding that they shrugged it off and tried again. It is possible I am wrong, I'm not a panda expert. I thought it was cute but now I'm worried it's bad :(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Not much, the laser needs to be attenuated at the wavelength your skin burns off of, which is different from metal.
    Example:

https://youtu.be/ppV-265zPrI

1:02

That is how you fix a mistake made with a pencil.

• Options
    The only one that really looked super rough was at 2:05.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I really wouldn't experiment though. You saw what it did to the paint on that pencil?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited October 2017

I seriously doubt the Toronto Zoo would post the pandas actually getting hurt.

Edit:
    In 2003, scientists from Zoo Atlanta, Chengdu, and the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding published a study that described trends in the behavior of giant panda cubs. Among other findings, this study confirmed that falling was a normal and expected part of the play of the giant panda cubs being reared by their mother.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I give you Panda Fails:

How have these animals survived for so long?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I give you Panda Fails:

I believe that's a question panda biologists are still trying to figure out.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I give you Panda Fails:

I believe that's a question panda biologists are still trying to figure out.

There has to be a theory about how the smartest pandas went off into space and left these behind right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Like power washing and sandblasting, I'm sure that one day "used projected energy weapon to remove rust/biofilm/etc" would become boring.

Today is not that day.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/12/paramedics-save-man-after-whole-fish-jumps-down-throat
    A prank almost proved fatal when a 28-year-old man swallowed a dover sole he had just caught.

The man had been joking around with the 14cm fish and put it over his mouth but it wriggled free and jumped down his throat – causing a complete blockage.

Paramedics were called and when they arrived at Boscombe pier in Dorset on the night of 5 October they found that the man, who has not been identified, had collapsed and stopped breathing

He was ok in the end, had to pull the fish out of his throat though it took the paramedics a little while to realise that his throat had been completely blocked by the fish.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    I give you Panda Fails:

It's natural selections way on compensating the animal kingdom for Australia.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I give you Panda Fails:

The real answer is that traits diminish without pressure. Birds loose the ability to open extinct seeds, predators lose lethality if they shift to more vulnerable prey, prey loses speed if fast predators die out, and so on.

Pandas are herbivores who exclusively feed on an abundant and fast growing food, and have no predators. Continued long enough, that kind of comfort causes all kinds of traits to diminish.

With or without humans, they might be a dead end because if it. Humans made that immensely worse, but they were already a species that could not adapt to any significant rapid change because stagnation has made them slow, bumbling blobs of animals.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    They're herbivores by choice

Eat a fucking squirrel or something, hippies

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Pandas are weird because they're essentially carnivores that decided to try out the vegetarian life. Which is part of the problem. They have a hard time extracting enough energy from their diet, so they're lazy and bumble around.

Part of the reason we have so much trouble with Pandas is because it wasn't until recently we found out that they're migratory and this migration is what triggers reproduction. The migrations were fucked up because of human expansion. Habitat fragmentation is a huge deal for them in particular. It wasn't so much "how have these guys lived this long? They're so bad at it" so much as "humans have screwed the environment up to the point where Pandas got fucked"

People contest them being used as mascots for conservation, but, I think they're as good an animal to use as any. They're cute, which draws in donations like whoa, plus they were hit just as hard as most other animals. People think we're wasting money on animals that aren't fit for survival, but, it's our fault really.

I guess it rubs a lot of conservationists the wrong way because people will donate and specifically earmark that donation for the pandas.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm pretty anti-panda as a concept, but I sure spent a lot of time watching one at Edinburgh Zoo

I guess a big fat blob who makes poor dietary choices speaks to me on some level

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Pandas are weird because they're essentially carnivores that decided to try out the vegetarian life. Which is part of the problem. They have a hard time extracting enough energy from their diet, so they're lazy and bumble around.

The stuff they eat in the wild also has some compounds known to cause stomach upset so they're lazy and bumbling while suffering from gas and other unpleasantness.

Zoos often add meat to a panda's diet to make it more balanced and efficient.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Re: gas stations and cash, I visit plenty of gas stations that charge extra if you use a card, whether at the pump or inside. It's almost like they want to force people to waste everyone's time.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Re: gas stations and cash, I visit plenty of gas stations that charge extra if you use a card, whether at the pump or inside. It's almost like they want to force people to waste everyone's time.

That's about the gas station making money. The credit card companies charge the merchant like 2-3% on every transaction. Profit margins on gas tend to be around 5-10 cents a gallon.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    The money for gas stations is in pretty much everything but the gas.
    Which is why so many gas stations where i live have become some weird cafe/pizza shop/giftshop/thing mix, that might sell gas, if you're lucky.
    They're like mini malls that just happen to have a gas pump in their vicinity, and you might not even have an option paying inside, either pay with a card or shove bills into the machine.

This discussion has been closed.