• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    i have feelings

about

stuff

How dare u

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    you know, for some reason i totally love vainglorious personas in hip hop or like, up-their-own-ass athletes. i find that sort of confident, heel-ish swagger to be entertaining. but i can't do it for academics, intellectuals, creatives etc. my reflexive reasoning is that it smacks of classism and intellectual snobbery, which i find to be much greater sins than the implications of superiority shown by a ufc fighter or a rapper about how hard he is to kill or whatever. it's ironic, actually, now that i type that out- because a bunch of hip hop's bravado is literally i got more money than you ever got. but something about a rich, successful white guy flexing his intellectual muscles- which were massaged and fed and grown in international travel and wealth- makes me a little sick.

that said, i also love nabokov's prose. and myself speaking a language with a completely different alphabet, i sympathize with the principal complaint. i'm not a gifted linguist by any means but i find almost every translation between english and hebrew to be painfully inadequate.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    i have feelings

about

stuff

Shaz

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i suspect
    Now, if you take a dictionary and look up those four words you will obtain the following foolish, flat and familiar statement: “I remember a wonderful moment.” What is to be done with this bird you have shot down only to find that it is not a bird of paradise, but an escaped parrot, still screeching its idiotic message as it flaps on the ground?

is going to be the best thing i read all day
    Is that so.
    Rabelais wrote:
    But, to conclude, I say and maintain, that of all torcheculs, arsewisps, bumfodders, tail-napkins, bunghole cleansers, and wipe-breeches, there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs. And believe me therein upon mine honour, for you will thereby feel in your nockhole a most wonderful pleasure, both in regard of the softness of the said down and of the temporate heat of the goose, which is easily communicated to the bum-gut and the rest the inwards, in so far as to come even to the regions of the heart and brains. And think not that the felicity of the heroes and demigods in the Elysian fields consisteth either in their asphodel, ambrosia, or nectar, as our old women here used to say; but in this, according to my judgment, that they wipe their tails with the neck of a goose, holding her head betwixt their legs, and such is the opinion of Master John of Scotland, alias Scotus.
    https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/r/rabelais/francois/r11g/book1.13.html

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    my autistic ex-brother in law's ex-wife is hanging out in the kitchen with my ex-in laws

she's visiting a sick grandma back in her home country, so she's stopping here to rest until her plane leaves

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Literally every academic is up their own ass. They write papers on their own amazing and innovative polyps.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Although maldoror is prob my favorite book now nabokov is still easily my favorite writer

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm looking at two mechanical keyboards for Christmas (they are cheap but well reviewed, hence their selection).

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Rottay-Anti-ghosting-Ergonomical/dp/B071J2VJB9/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1512065092&sr=8-9&keywords=mechanical+keyboard

vs

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-manufacturer-Aluminum/dp/B071P36KJB/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1512065092&sr=8-13&keywords=mechanical+keyboard&th=1

Does either one stand out as clearly better? Does the second's design help avoid gunk getting in the keys, or make it worse?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    theres four academic positions and eleven million academics trying to get them, of course you're going to be up your own ass if you claim one

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    norwegian and english are very very closely related and yet translations always lose a lot

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Dark...souls..?

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    my autistic ex-brother in law's ex-wife is hanging out in the kitchen with my ex-in laws

she's visiting a sick grandma back in her home country, so she's stopping here to rest until her plane leaves

The ex and the inlaw math is too complicated here

wait
    What if you married her

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    kedinik wrote: »

Hold on, let me get a flow chart

• Options
    probably my strongest impression of jersey, living a mile from it for 18 years, is the diner culture. i find it to be a p strong disappointment how few family owned diners inhabit the rest of the country.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I don’t know the code to put in the blood in mortal kombat :(

Neco on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i suspect
    Now, if you take a dictionary and look up those four words you will obtain the following foolish, flat and familiar statement: “I remember a wonderful moment.” What is to be done with this bird you have shot down only to find that it is not a bird of paradise, but an escaped parrot, still screeching its idiotic message as it flaps on the ground?

is going to be the best thing i read all day
    Is that so.
    Rabelais wrote:
    But, to conclude, I say and maintain, that of all torcheculs, arsewisps, bumfodders, tail-napkins, bunghole cleansers, and wipe-breeches, there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs. And believe me therein upon mine honour, for you will thereby feel in your nockhole a most wonderful pleasure, both in regard of the softness of the said down and of the temporate heat of the goose, which is easily communicated to the bum-gut and the rest the inwards, in so far as to come even to the regions of the heart and brains. And think not that the felicity of the heroes and demigods in the Elysian fields consisteth either in their asphodel, ambrosia, or nectar, as our old women here used to say; but in this, according to my judgment, that they wipe their tails with the neck of a goose, holding her head betwixt their legs, and such is the opinion of Master John of Scotland, alias Scotus.
    https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/r/rabelais/francois/r11g/book1.13.html

i said god damn

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’ve been underwhelmed by Nabakov

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I'm looking at two mechanical keyboards for Christmas (they are cheap but well reviewed, hence their selection).

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Rottay-Anti-ghosting-Ergonomical/dp/B071J2VJB9/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1512065092&sr=8-9&keywords=mechanical+keyboard

vs

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-manufacturer-Aluminum/dp/B071P36KJB/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1512065092&sr=8-13&keywords=mechanical+keyboard&th=1

Does either one stand out as clearly better? Does the second's design help avoid gunk getting in the keys, or make it worse?

There isn't a clear difference, if it's true both are legit clones of cherry mx blues. I'd go with the second because it does seem nice not having little crevices

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Organichu wrote: »
    you know, for some reason i totally love vainglorious personas in hip hop or like, up-their-own-ass athletes. i find that sort of confident, heel-ish swagger to be entertaining. but i can't do it for academics, intellectuals, creatives etc. my reflexive reasoning is that it smacks of classism and intellectual snobbery, which i find to be much greater sins than the implications of superiority shown by a ufc fighter or a rapper about how hard he is to kill or whatever. it's ironic, actually, now that i type that out- because a bunch of hip hop's bravado is literally i got more money than you ever got. but something about a rich, successful white guy flexing his intellectual muscles- which were massaged and fed and grown in international travel and wealth- makes me a little sick.

that said, i also love nabokov's prose. and myself speaking a language with a completely different alphabet, i sympathize with the principal complaint. i'm not a gifted linguist by any means but i find almost every translation between english and hebrew to be painfully inadequate.

So on the one hand yes Nabokov was 100% an aristocrat

On the other hand he had to flee his home country or be killed, and wrote at least one novel on a desk he made out of wood blocks on his toilet in a tiny apartment in exile in France
    Actually maybe that was on a ship? Regardless he had some amount of (romantic, fantastic, intriguing) hardship in his life.
    Also was married to a Jew which I think is why they left France?

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I have to stop reading my normal friend group messenger thread.

You think folks around here sad sack, try a bunch of MAs/PhDs with focuses on International Policy and Politics talking about stuff.

that's not fair, I think this place is sad sack for reasons unrelated to the world at large.

• Options
    easily communicated to the bum-guts

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

If you haven't already I would recommend watching some of Naseem Hameds fights on YouTube. He embodied up-their-own-ass athlete and has the skill to back it up.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    And muted my friend group conversation. I don't have time to deal with that. Its frustrating because these are smart people. But I get the thought process but there is only so much doom and gloom that I can deal with.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    My strongest impression of Jersey is that everyone is a low key derelict or con artist.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    AresProphet when do I get an exotic gun and which should I choose

am I so hung over I've forgotten something?

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Neco wrote: »

blood in mortal kombat is now a $9.99 microtransaction (unlocked on a per character basis)

override367 on
  • Options
    probably my strongest impression of jersey, living a mile from it for 18 years, is the diner culture. i find it to be a p strong disappointment how few family owned diners inhabit the rest of the country.

If you are using Google Maps navigation, upon entering NJ, the Nav Lady says "Welcome to New Jersey" and this little waitress picture pops up

source.jpg

• Options
    That South Carolina one is a little too on the nose.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    And muted my friend group conversation. I don't have time to deal with that. Its frustrating because these are smart people. But I get the thought process but there is only so much doom and gloom that I can deal with.

Look mazzy I'm just saying that Bryce Harper is wasted on the Nationals and that team will go no where. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Dark...souls..?

You get to play as a zombie booger who falls off things a lot

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

blood in mortal kombat is now a $9.99 microtransaction (unlocked on a per character basis)

I thought you had to unlock a rate card for each blood drop from a loot box

I keep rolling sweat tho

Elendil on
  • Options

No on the genesis :(

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Even in an OP about language there's that monumental grammar mistake
    Shivahn wrote: »

vs

There isn't a clear difference, if it's true both are legit clones of cherry mx blues. I'd go with the second because it does seem nice not having little crevices

Yeah, I decided I wanted that switch based on ten seconds of googling and the knowledge that human minds are adaptable.

Basically now my choice is - nice no crevices, but weird nerdy letters, or super gay colors but crevices

• Options

the Google Maps team does not delve deeper into the stereotypes

it's telling that DE is so generic because...there aren't many stereotypes except...FIRST!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Mississippi has a burning cross on theirs.

• Options
    Oh wait no they both have no crevices, hah

• Options
    States no one knows: Montana, Delaware, New Hampshire, the Dakotas, Idaho

This discussion has been closed.