As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'll just [chat] this if I have to

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I'm... From Iowa...

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm... From Iowa...

Oh!

Well then pretend I'm not an idiot.

(I didn't know, for real... I thought you were a Texan)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I've been looking at new cars since I'm going to be paying off my current car in about a year.

Man, that Toyota 86 is a sexy beast, ain't it?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    God damn even being subs only can't keep gdq chat from being a shitheap

The larger a channel is, the more rigorous a moderation system (both humans and a well scripted Nightbot) as well as overall culture need to be established to stem the natural tendency towards horribleness. Compare the differences in chat experience, for example, between Kripparian (who makes no effort whatsoever to manage his chat) and someone like Cohh Carnage or other variety streamers who build their stream identity around chat interaction or a community.

AGDQ, and other large one-off events, are almost ungovernable by definition since they'll end up drawing a large generalized crowd with no shared sense of acceptable behavious, and being low frequency events are highly unlikely to have a dedicated moderation staff to handle it.

having moderated the PAX channels on occasion I know this all too well

they get a dedicated mod staff but it mostly means that half the chat is <message deleted>

better than the alternative

Twitch itself is also going to have to eventually grapple with the fact that several of their evergreen emotes have become proxies for casual racism through shared usage.

imo allowing custom user emotes is a mistake on any platform but I don't think twitch will ever walk that bank.

I feel like hipchat and slack get a pass.

But something public-wide? yeah...

I don't know much about hipchat but even slack is getting flack now for stuff that is happening in ostensibly private places, I think because of the level of adoption. (Like recently I've seen a lot of complaining about their lack of an ignore feature.)

This is the danger when you run a unique public service, people will hold you accountable for the actions of your userbase.

I dont know how an ignore feature would even work in slack considering its use case.

Well before you hit ignore, you go to HR. These are your coworkers, you can't ignore them even if you hate them.

Because slack is getting used for things outside of work. Also getting used a lot in workplaces without any actual buy-in from the leadership so HR is just going to go bwuh? at you.

All that's assuming you even have the mythical HR department that is interested in mediating disputes.

I know this sounds naive on first blush, but... if someone decides to shadow-it a chat solution that a large portion of yoir staff uses to conduct work, and something shitty happens on there, it is still corporate's problem and HR needs to intervene. Because it is a work relationship being stressed in a place where people are doing work.

They should. But if you're the member of some disadvantaged group and your being bullied by the bro who's loved by his bro boss, and HR and leadership don't even know what slack is, are you even going to attempt that complaint?

And what if it's some thing completely outside of a formal work structure. I've been in slacks for convention organizing. I've seen plenty of slacks that are just chat channels.

Yes. Maybe the slack gets shut down as a result. Maybe it gets rolled under corporate governance. But if you need to participate in a thing to advance at work, then that thing needs to be a shared and safe space. If you think the ignore feature is a solution for this, it isn't

It won't fix a shitty workspace.
    It is within slacks power to make shitty workspaces slightly more tolerable for those forced to endure them.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    No worries, I just thought I talked about it endlessly enough that it was known. I have only been in Austin for 5.5 years and I hate it and am not going to look at the explosion as I walk away.

I'm excited to be in a city without all the crowded bullshit but still cool stuff. Also mostly friends again since all of mine kept leaving.

• Options
    @elki I'll buy the necromancer if you wanna season 12 Diablo hardcore

• Options
    No worries, I just thought I talked about it endlessly enough that it was known. I have only been in Austin for 5.5 years and I hate it and am not going to look at the explosion as I walk away.

I'm excited to be in a city without all the crowded bullshit but still cool stuff. Also mostly friends again since all of mine kept leaving.

I must've missed it, or forgot. I'm horrible with social memory. It's good you'll be around old friends, that can really make living a lot better.

I remember moving back up here in 2016 (I lived in Nebraska briefly in 2005) and the difference was pretty astounding. I truly hate summer in Oklahoma/Texas, it's just fucking miserable.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    today I described some scotches as tasting like 'tongue-fucking a swamp' and I was very proud of myself

"Evil Multifarious"

does

hmmm

does tongue fucking a swamp taste much different than just drinking swamp water?

Sure why not

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

The larger a channel is, the more rigorous a moderation system (both humans and a well scripted Nightbot) as well as overall culture need to be established to stem the natural tendency towards horribleness. Compare the differences in chat experience, for example, between Kripparian (who makes no effort whatsoever to manage his chat) and someone like Cohh Carnage or other variety streamers who build their stream identity around chat interaction or a community.

AGDQ, and other large one-off events, are almost ungovernable by definition since they'll end up drawing a large generalized crowd with no shared sense of acceptable behavious, and being low frequency events are highly unlikely to have a dedicated moderation staff to handle it.

they get a dedicated mod staff but it mostly means that half the chat is <message deleted>

Twitch itself is also going to have to eventually grapple with the fact that several of their evergreen emotes have become proxies for casual racism through shared usage.

imo allowing custom user emotes is a mistake on any platform but I don't think twitch will ever walk that bank.

I don't know much about hipchat but even slack is getting flack now for stuff that is happening in ostensibly private places, I think because of the level of adoption. (Like recently I've seen a lot of complaining about their lack of an ignore feature.)

This is the danger when you run a unique public service, people will hold you accountable for the actions of your userbase.

I dont know how an ignore feature would even work in slack considering its use case.

Well before you hit ignore, you go to HR. These are your coworkers, you can't ignore them even if you hate them.

Because slack is getting used for things outside of work. Also getting used a lot in workplaces without any actual buy-in from the leadership so HR is just going to go bwuh? at you.

All that's assuming you even have the mythical HR department that is interested in mediating disputes.

I know this sounds naive on first blush, but... if someone decides to shadow-it a chat solution that a large portion of yoir staff uses to conduct work, and something shitty happens on there, it is still corporate's problem and HR needs to intervene. Because it is a work relationship being stressed in a place where people are doing work.

They should. But if you're the member of some disadvantaged group and your being bullied by the bro who's loved by his bro boss, and HR and leadership don't even know what slack is, are you even going to attempt that complaint?

And what if it's some thing completely outside of a formal work structure. I've been in slacks for convention organizing. I've seen plenty of slacks that are just chat channels.

Yes. Maybe the slack gets shut down as a result. Maybe it gets rolled under corporate governance. But if you need to participate in a thing to advance at work, then that thing needs to be a shared and safe space. If you think the ignore feature is a solution for this, it isn't

It is within slacks power to make shitty workspaces slightly more tolerable for those forced to endure them.

On a social forum, an ignore feature is fine.

On a workspace, ignore is 100% not okay.

You are being paid to work with your team. Missing work-related messages from your teammates because they are abusive is fucking bad on multiple levels.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    my FIL just sent me this text

"Have any of you heard what Cleveland Browns fans call their stadium??

The Factory of Sadness ---frickin' wild!!"

and I'm just staring at it like

what do I do with this

He’s trying to bond

• Options
    Yeah, the cool stuff in Des Moines was the same but way less crowded. So just better. I didn't see concerts or anything so whatevs on that.

• Options

You are being paid to work with your team. Missing work-related messages from your teammates because they are abusive is fucking bad on multiple levels.

the problem isn't that it'd be a bad feature in a healthy workplace

the problem is that slack is, increasingly being used outside of healthy workplaces (which are few and far between to begin with), and being used outside of workplaces alltogether

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The meteoric rise of glorified mirc service Slack is something to behold.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

the problem isn't that it'd be a bad feature in a healthy workplace

the problem is that slack is, increasingly being used outside of healthy workplaces (which are few and far between to begin with), and being used outside of workplaces alltogether

I've only worked in smaller offices and teams so the necessity for it is lost on me altogether.

I find it weird when the guy behind me emails me something that doesn't really need a record. He could just wheel his chair 7 feet over...

• Options
    I will say the Omaha Zoo is pretty damn outstanding, and I'm glad I'm only an hour away.

• Options
    anyway bed time

I think the moral of my story is...

the way all new computer technologies are cast as services owned and operated by corporate entities is Not Good when those entities have no concern for the effects of those technologies on our society as a whole

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

395375191712071690.png

395383099380203540.png

• Options
    im lookin at u dudes agreeing with aioua on that one and im like

395617447245512705.png

custom emotes are great fucking fight me on this hill, only people are bad

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    as a people,

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    as a bad,

• Options
    as custom emotes,

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL9iMPx9CpQ

I really relate to this seal

Degg?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    oh man the new Discovery was rad

Tilly-chan......

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Mrph.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    :bzz:

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    :bzz:

eddy u.....

395375191745888258.png

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Hmm

I finished Wolfenstein: The New Order last night and was really looking forward to the prequel, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

but hmmm

this is way way worse of a game, just like, on every level

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    My favorite part of Wolfenstein: The New Order is when Confusion Pump Panel Remix starts playing and everybody starts dancing in blood.

• Options
    I put paint on 15 of the 30 miniature rat models I wanted to tonight

I'm too tired to do the other half

But paradoxically, not tired enough to sleep....

• Options
    also unrelated but completely lol

the lady that owns <my_incredibly_uncommon_last_name>.com had been using it for email only for years, and I approached her a while back about buying it. a while being early 2014

So she gets back to me after a month or two, "oh, yeah this is my professional email I only use for work, but I remarried and this isn't even my last name anymore, I've been meaning to get a new email. I'll look at solutions and get back to you"

that was the last I heard, in mid-2014

so over the week I had off for Christmas, I decided to just bite the bullet and get <last_name>.io instead of .com and just live with it. I set up emails for the whole family got people moved over and set up.

literally this evening the lady gets back to me: "hey, I'm finally ready to move my stuff but someone's squatting on the domain I want, what do you want to do"

:rotate:

• Options
    Lol this isn't even all of these models I have. I think I have like 90 or so....

Painting...forever....

1N0M8m3l.jpg

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    My favorite part of Wolfenstein: The New Order is when Confusion Pump Panel Remix starts playing and everybody starts dancing in blood.

If they gave me a sword and let me murder vampires I'd still be playing that game over and over

• Options
    Today I took them from bare plastic to primed, sprayed brown, and added red to half...

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Would it be fair to say you have a bit of a problem, Arch

Also sleep didn't happen so instead yay I am back

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I would have figured Arch would be painting Tyrannids, not Skaven.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    does anyone who owns warhammer models ever actually play warhammer or is it mostly just painting?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    does anyone who owns warhammer models ever actually play warhammer or is it mostly just painting?

I played a game today!

• Options
    I would have figured Arch would be painting Tyrannids, not Skaven.

.....I have been saving money for a Tyranids army, but won't buy anything until I finish my Skaven....

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    If you don't play the game you can't lose the pieces and then need to paint NEW pieces

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.