Options

[Steam] Thread: Halfway through the year already? Backlog down or growing?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

Let me guess, 100 Sams are dropped onto an island...

100-player co-op over massive island stages actually sounds pretty heckin' rad.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Yo, this looks Heckin Rad, Folks.

Monster Prom is a competitive Dating Sim where everyone's a monster.

Monstergirls? Monsterbois? They made a game for me <3

There's a cute frankenstein girl so i'm all in.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

Steam Thread: The Dating Sim.

Wait...

Jazz on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Steam Thread: The Dating Sim.

Wait...

28p4u7.jpg

• Options
    Someone's been looking over @Pixelated Pixie 's library of VNs again.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I ended up refunding Divinity 2. After several attempts, including Wasteland 2 and the Shadowrun games, I think text heavy cRPGs just aren’t for me anymore.

Xcom 2 Collection is now downloading.

Those are some good games, so it sounds more like RPG's are the problem. Xcom 2 should pass, though, you don't need to read anything but % chances!

I have a problem with RPG's myself, they're too big. I know many of the things to do in them are optional, but I often feel the need to do many of the sidequests, and get burned out a few hours into them. I don't know how many times I've started the Baulders Gate series, and haven't even really gotten into the story proper. I play a mage every time, so before I go to the inn, I need to do some serious leveling. Then I forget about it, lose my save, and just never play it. I own all of the games from that era, even the aweomse planescape torment. Just never can commit the time.

I think the last RPG I played all the way through was FF7. Even though I put over 40 hours easy into 8, never actually finished it.

I love RPGs, but I have realized that I have a maximum hour count of somewhere between 30 and 75 hours per game, depending on how much I like it. It will be on the lower end if I'm not as into it, on the higher end of that if I'm really into it. If the game is longer than that, I'll never finish it, no matter how much I'm enjoying it.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, there's the Steam Page for Serious Sam 4.

"Brutally bigger scale" sounds promising?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh, there's the Steam Page for Serious Sam 4.

"Brutally bigger scale" sounds promising?

200 Sams skydrop onto a planet...

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    A thousand headless dudes with bombs for hands skydive into a hallway

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Think I'm about halfway through FF12 now or thereabouts. Basch is the one-man wrecking ball, Ashe annihilates everything that even thinks about looking at the group funny in a fifty foot radius, and Penelo heals whenever something evades the meatgrinder that is the party long enough to deal a decent amount of damage. Usually a Hunt or boss.

When I played this game so many years ago on the PS2 the gambit system was arcane and confusing to the point where I'd manually control everyone and boy it was not fun. Now though, I know the basics of logic and it's kind of like programming in a way. If X happens then do Y, and you can organize them and turn them off and on individually. So for Ashe I can have

If (Enemy: Reflect), Then (Dispel)
    If (Enemy Weak: Fire), Then (This Fire)
    If (Enemy Vulnerable: Dark), Then (Hello Darkness)
    If (Party Leader: Target), Then (Thunder)

So if the enemy is actively weak to Fire then she'll burn it. If it's not, but it can be hurt by Dark, then she'll use that. If for some reason it's neither weak to Fire and it's immune to Dark then she'll use Lightning. I can tell her to blast every enemy she sees, only the enemy I'm targeting, the one with highest HP, when there's 3+ of them, and more. I can also layer a ton more gambits on there so I have an element for every occasion and an answer to every situation. If, for example, that enemy has Reflect on them to bounce my spells back she'll strip it from them before bombarding. So she'll never hit an enemy's strong element or kill the entire party with a misfired blast.

While I originally thought the Gambit system was the game playing itself that hasn't turned out to be the case. Yes, the Gambits can answer a lot of situations and automate quite a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean I can just put it on 4x speed and sit back. Shit happens during a fight. Maybe a boss used a bad ability or I set Gambits up wrong on the healer so she was busy cleansing Poison instead of healing the tank. I will occasionally need to pause things, tinker with Gambits a bit, then "run the program" again to see how things go. I might need to yank someone in who is not Stopped so they can use their Gambit to start cleansing status, or revive the dead losers who bit it to the boss's enrage ability. Sometimes I even need to manually tell a character to do something instead of their Gambit, like steal from the boss before blowing it to kingdom come.

Each fight isn't really the game doing everything without my input because I specifically told the game how I want each person in the party to act. If I set my Gambits up wrong I can get my ass kicked and the game won't prevent that. So even when setting up Gambits all I'm really doing is automating the hundreds if not thousands of button presses I'd normally be doing manually in a turn-based game. It makes things like farming so much easier when I can run around and know my characters will make the enemies dead, keep themselves alive, and act exactly as I told them to do so.

So, yeah, having a pretty good time with FF12 now as compared to when I was a kid. Even Vaan and Penelo are more tolerable now. Vaan grows as a character, imagine that!

I also remember not liking the gambit system but imo the monster hunts really made it shine because you had to change your strategies away from the normal world baddies and start changing up the gambits. I still remember when it clicked and I set up gambits that were basically
    If dead->potion
    Attack
    And that was it because the baddie was hitting so hard that literally nothing else mattered than staying up and hitting him.

Also I still hate that whiny kid.

I'm not really having that issue in Zodiac Age. In the original some stuff could really be nasty because I was dumb and didn't know that I ought to spec characters into focused roles rather than the usual "EVERYONE GETS A DEATHBRINGER SWORD" berserker play with little healing and no support.

Now though, since everyone gets two jobs I know to build them to excel in those jobs and tinker with Gambits so they perform them well.

For example, in the original I tried fighting the Esper Adremmalech in the Zertinan Caverns shortly before Salikawood. He's an optional fight so typically tougher than usual. He destroyed me repeatedly, because he flies so my melee couldn't hit him as zombies were swarming and inflicting status. and I gave up on fighting him until later in the game.

In Zodiac Age though, I remembered where he was and decided to give another try at the same time in the story. Set up my Gambits, selected someone to focus on zombies, another to blast the Esper, and the third to heal/support. Took a bit of time to puzzle out his weakness to Ice but once I did, and set the Gambits to focus on it, his healthbar got chunked so fast he activated his scripted Null Magic shield with a small portion left. Hit him with Quickenings to drop the shield and he went down without anyone even close to death.

If I'm ever in an area where things are hitting me so hard that everything has to be thrown out the window to just go berserker rage on them then it's clearly a zone that's telling me I'm not supposed to be there yet. Quickenings also help. I used to use Quickenings in the opening of a fight to inflict as much damage as possible, but now I use them to finish off bosses because the lower health they have the nastier they become.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    You can get Stelllite Reign for free at the Humble Store:
    e8da37ba5ee3c4f71e4b71dd1106690aaa536ae4.jpg?auto=compress,format&fit=crop&h=353&w=616&s=e48eaaf7ad0fd71054af1718a110346a
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/satellite-reign

And Eador. Masters of the Broken World free at the Steam store:
    header.jpg?t=1511448807
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/232050/Eador_Masters_of_the_Broken_World/

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Jazz on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    And @Jazz the classhole that he is, grabbed it for me:

dw8f7y85n3em.png

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

The depth and breast of my VN collection is impressive, 'tis true. Why, it's practically busting at the seams...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I need to go and try Satellite Reign again. Great atmosphere, very classic cyberpunk, but I was rubbish at it.

• Options

The depth and breast of my VN collection is impressive, 'tis true. Why, it's practically busting at the seams...

It's quite well-rounded, isn't it?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The amazing 2016 board game hit Scythe got a beta signup yesterday. You get a Steam key just by signing up for the beta.

But by Beta I mean Alpha because its a utter mess at this time.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    The amazing 2016 board game hit Scythe got a beta signup yesterday. You get a Steam key just by signing up for the beta.

But by Beta I mean Alpha because its a utter mess at this time.

Even the trailer on the Steam page has framerate issues.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I admit that the gambits

One might even accuse you of padding that count, or even stuffing your collection to make it seem bigger.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I admit that the gambits

One might even accuse you of padding that count, or even stuffing your collection to make it seem bigger.

I assure you, it's all natural.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Think I'm about halfway through FF12 now or thereabouts. Basch is the one-man wrecking ball, Ashe annihilates everything that even thinks about looking at the group funny in a fifty foot radius, and Penelo heals whenever something evades the meatgrinder that is the party long enough to deal a decent amount of damage. Usually a Hunt or boss.

When I played this game so many years ago on the PS2 the gambit system was arcane and confusing to the point where I'd manually control everyone and boy it was not fun. Now though, I know the basics of logic and it's kind of like programming in a way. If X happens then do Y, and you can organize them and turn them off and on individually. So for Ashe I can have

If (Enemy: Reflect), Then (Dispel)
    If (Enemy Weak: Fire), Then (This Fire)
    If (Enemy Vulnerable: Dark), Then (Hello Darkness)
    If (Party Leader: Target), Then (Thunder)

So if the enemy is actively weak to Fire then she'll burn it. If it's not, but it can be hurt by Dark, then she'll use that. If for some reason it's neither weak to Fire and it's immune to Dark then she'll use Lightning. I can tell her to blast every enemy she sees, only the enemy I'm targeting, the one with highest HP, when there's 3+ of them, and more. I can also layer a ton more gambits on there so I have an element for every occasion and an answer to every situation. If, for example, that enemy has Reflect on them to bounce my spells back she'll strip it from them before bombarding. So she'll never hit an enemy's strong element or kill the entire party with a misfired blast.

While I originally thought the Gambit system was the game playing itself that hasn't turned out to be the case. Yes, the Gambits can answer a lot of situations and automate quite a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean I can just put it on 4x speed and sit back. Shit happens during a fight. Maybe a boss used a bad ability or I set Gambits up wrong on the healer so she was busy cleansing Poison instead of healing the tank. I will occasionally need to pause things, tinker with Gambits a bit, then "run the program" again to see how things go. I might need to yank someone in who is not Stopped so they can use their Gambit to start cleansing status, or revive the dead losers who bit it to the boss's enrage ability. Sometimes I even need to manually tell a character to do something instead of their Gambit, like steal from the boss before blowing it to kingdom come.

Each fight isn't really the game doing everything without my input because I specifically told the game how I want each person in the party to act. If I set my Gambits up wrong I can get my ass kicked and the game won't prevent that. So even when setting up Gambits all I'm really doing is automating the hundreds if not thousands of button presses I'd normally be doing manually in a turn-based game. It makes things like farming so much easier when I can run around and know my characters will make the enemies dead, keep themselves alive, and act exactly as I told them to do so.

So, yeah, having a pretty good time with FF12 now as compared to when I was a kid. Even Vaan and Penelo are more tolerable now. Vaan grows as a character, imagine that!

I also remember not liking the gambit system but imo the monster hunts really made it shine because you had to change your strategies away from the normal world baddies and start changing up the gambits. I still remember when it clicked and I set up gambits that were basically
    If dead->potion
    Attack
    And that was it because the baddie was hitting so hard that literally nothing else mattered than staying up and hitting him.

Also I still hate that whiny kid.

I'm not really having that issue in Zodiac Age. In the original some stuff could really be nasty because I was dumb and didn't know that I ought to spec characters into focused roles rather than the usual "EVERYONE GETS A DEATHBRINGER SWORD" berserker play with little healing and no support.

Now though, since everyone gets two jobs I know to build them to excel in those jobs and tinker with Gambits so they perform them well.

For example, in the original I tried fighting the Esper Adremmalech in the Zertinan Caverns shortly before Salikawood. He's an optional fight so typically tougher than usual. He destroyed me repeatedly, because he flies so my melee couldn't hit him as zombies were swarming and inflicting status. and I gave up on fighting him until later in the game.

In Zodiac Age though, I remembered where he was and decided to give another try at the same time in the story. Set up my Gambits, selected someone to focus on zombies, another to blast the Esper, and the third to heal/support. Took a bit of time to puzzle out his weakness to Ice but once I did, and set the Gambits to focus on it, his healthbar got chunked so fast he activated his scripted Null Magic shield with a small portion left. Hit him with Quickenings to drop the shield and he went down without anyone even close to death.

If I'm ever in an area where things are hitting me so hard that everything has to be thrown out the window to just go berserker rage on them then it's clearly a zone that's telling me I'm not supposed to be there yet. Quickenings also help. I used to use Quickenings in the opening of a fight to inflict as much damage as possible, but now I use them to finish off bosses because the lower health they have the nastier they become.

Not that kind of optional. I mean the elite hunts at the end culminating in yiazmat. That was when I switched away from what you’re doing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I admit that the gambits

I assure you, it's all natural.

The selection is well rounded to be sure.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Eeeee a VR sale has begun on Steam. I knew this day would come! Of course I blew my fun budget this month kickstarting board games.....

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

HUGE

tracts of land.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Your cup overfloweth

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Ooooo Satellite Reign fo free? Sick. Will download that when I get home.

• Options
    This page is making me realise there is a distinct lack of cyberpunk porny VNs.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Just peeked in the thread to stay abreast; I must admit, I love double Ds as well...

Zavian on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Your cup overfloweth

Thanks for the mammaries. They're a real hoot. ...er

• Options

Your cup overfloweth

Thanks for the mammaries. They're a real hoot. ...er

You're milking the puns dry!

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Hey guys, what's going on in the Steam thre....

...backs away slowly

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options

...backs away slowly

Not much to see here. Just a lot of low-bra humor.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

...backs away slowly

I wouldn't worry about tit.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    This page is making me realise there is a distinct lack of cyberpunk porny VNs.

Cyberpunk still tends to be kind of niche and porn tends to follow popular styles. Plus Asian cyberpunk has a different style than US on top of that: Less grime and darkness, higher proliferation of pilotable robots and power armor, and a tendency more towards fully robot bodies or androids instead of cyborgs prosthetics.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    To put it another way, for some people, WW2 is all about the ground battles while others see nothing but the sky.

Is more sfw non gaming news, my first classhole package to my nieces arrived before the other and my day cannot go wrong.

I'm finally attacking a battleship in xenonauts and its refreshing to have something else to worry about besides psychic attacks.

The battleship map so far is the least clone like of the original x-com games and that is a damn good thing to experience.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    And wrong thread

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    And wrong thread

Wobble along!

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Eeeee a VR sale has begun on Steam. I knew this day would come! Of course I blew my fun budget this month kickstarting board games.....

Ditto! Though my budget went on a 5 year old's birthday party.

I have far too many VR games I haven't played anyway yet.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They just released that Psychonauts VR game on PC, which is cool

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Every time someone reminds me Garry's mod exists, I devote too much time into looking for replaces of enemies/npc's as an excuse to go back in.

Then I see little that interests me and start looking into making my own replacer and then it's time to sleep.

This discussion has been closed.