As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This [chat] is arbitrarily significant

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    "I don't think they are intentionally getting it wrong" is a really horrific statement because, I'm pretty sure that every genocide was committed by people who thought they were doing the right thing.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Faile is by far the most obnoxious female character in WoT

Which is a real crowded field of competition, so congrats to get her for that.

I mean ok technically Tuon is an evil slaving imperialist, but her bugging Matt is no more than he deserves so it balances out a bit.

whatttttttt

Faile is great and literally every aes sedai is more annoying than she is

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Holocaust denial arises directly out of antisemitism and neonazism; there may be complete idiots taking it at face value but protecting unwitting propagation of antisemitism is not exactly a good idea

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I'll ill become you
    Nobody wants to become Landshark. Landshark is what you end up as when you have sold out.

Sold out to Big Bridge

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    “Why hello, Sir Stewart! I simply adored you in Waiting for Godot!”

Did he actually do Waiting for Godot? @Neco ?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Damn, I couldn't imagine my company going that far.

We're doing much better than we were. Used to have bible studies on Thursdays. Now we had a special thing for pride month where everyone put up pictures of their families (even non standard!) on the wall in entrance to the company. But they would still never be so woke as to be gender neutral.

My company will celebrate the dumbest shit like national pretzel day or whatever with free snacks in the kitchen but did not even try to have rainbow cupcakes or something for pride month. Shows what our HR priorities are.

when I joined this company, I read in the handbook the boilerplate anti-discrimination policy or whatever and noted that it did not include sexual orientation, even tho that is a protected class under IL law

I asked HR and they told me that it was that way since sexual orientation is not a protected class under federal law

but...surely you guys can add it right????

????

(they did not add it)

sigh

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Mazzyx I don't know if you saw, but Dan Carlin's latest episode of Hardcore History is about the Japanese Empire and the lead-up to its role in World War II

I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't vouch for it one way or the other, but I thought you would be interested!

Its downloaded. I like Dan Carlin but I am pre-cringing. He tends to focus on a few sources and historians and it can skew his stuff really badly. Kind of like how Thom dislikes his WW1 stuff I am pretty certain my brain will rebel on his Japan stuff. Hardcore History is my back up podcast. I am finishing the last one right now because it takes me 2 months to get through one.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    "girls want to bang as much as guys" always struck me as a rhetorical device to ward off the idea that women are pure little angels grossed out by sex, implicitly condoning aggressive male pursuit as the only way to get sex

I touch on this on my post, but this is legit the case in a large proportion of relationships. People underestimate its incidence, though admittedly it may also be practically the case due to social conditioning meaning that equal levels of sexual desire are expressed unequally.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    ckwzif7okt0r.png

what a set of headlines

I am happy throwing him out of the famous Jew club right now.

actual quote, for anyone interested:
    "I'm Jewish and there's a set of people who deny that the Holocaust happened," he told reporter Kara Swisher.

"I find it deeply offensive. But at the end of the day, I don't believe that our platform should take that down because I think there are things that different people get wrong. I don't think that they're intentionally getting it wrong.

"Everyone gets things wrong and if we were taking down people's accounts when they got a few things wrong, then that would be a hard world for giving people a voice and saying that you care about that."

The comments caused a storm of protest.

I think he makes a fair point regarding incorrect vs intentionally misleading/fake news but also it was a terrible example since holocaust denial falls under racism in my book, which is something facebook should definitely be policing I M O

I read the actual quote last night. And I stick with this falls under the hate speech mixed with intentionally misleading information and something that should be policed on a platform like Facebook. Similar to how they try shut down ISIS and KKK stuff if they find it.

The more facebook exists the more learn it can be highly destructive to society in unanticipated ways. See recent lynchings in SE Asia based on Facebook rumors as a good example.

right, so we agree then

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    At some point society should probably come to grips that social media isn't just a fun little lark and real harm can and does occur because of those platforms and those platforms aren't really interested in policing themselves because it's a thorny issue that doesn't make them money.

• Options
    I'll ill become you
    Nobody wants to become Landshark. Landshark is what you end up as when you have sold out.

man for selling out I sure am feelin kinda not-rich

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    ckwzif7okt0r.png

what a set of headlines

I am happy throwing him out of the famous Jew club right now.

You know I've had bad days before. I don't know if I have had "clarifying my holocaust denial" stance days.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mazzyx I don't know if you saw, but Dan Carlin's latest episode of Hardcore History is about the Japanese Empire and the lead-up to its role in World War II

I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't vouch for it one way or the other, but I thought you would be interested!

Its downloaded. I like Dan Carlin but I am pre-cringing. He tends to focus on a few sources and historians and it can skew his stuff really badly. Kind of like how Thom dislikes his WW1 stuff I am pretty certain my brain will rebel on his Japan stuff. Hardcore History is my back up podcast. I am finishing the last one right now because it takes me 2 months to get through one.

Yeah, that's why I added the caveat about not being able to vouch for it, heh :) I'm interested to know your thoughts on it, and it's likely we'll get through it on roughly the same timescale, so keep me in mind! <3

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I'll ill become you

what

someone get this man his paycheck

sig.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    “Why hello, Sir Stewart! I simply adored you in Waiting for Godot!”

Did he actually do Waiting for Godot? Neco ?

He did, opposite sur Ian McKellen.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Welp this cloning thing didn't work and it won't boot from this ssd. I'll just do a fresh install.

Waffles made a windows 10 install USB on her pc, can I use that to reinstall or will it have the wrong serial key baked in or something?

Windows 10 key is linked to motherboard, should activate fine.

Make sure you switch your SATA BIOS settings from IDE to AHCI. It can be a pain to switch after installing Windows 10 and IDE format doesn't support SSDs at higher speeds. Might even fix your boot issue.

I just did an SSD upgrade on an ancient system and it was lots of "what the hell" moments.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I'll ill become you

Just because you sold out badly doesn't mean you didn't sell out.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I'll ill become you

what

someone get this man his paycheck

I've been to like, 10 protests/rallys in the past year where is my soros money dammit my kids need to eat

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    @Shivahn that is a thoughtful and helpful take! Thank you!

Also, you’re good people and let nothing in the record suggest I’ve thought a thing otherwise

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    I'll ill become you

Just because you sold out badly doesn't mean you didn't sell out.

a fair point

still not sure who would be buyin

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    At some point society should probably come to grips that social media isn't just a fun little lark and real harm can and does occur because of those platforms and those platforms aren't really interested in policing themselves because it's a thorny issue that doesn't make them money.

I was really struck by the comment by the Obama official talking about focus groups before and after Facebook hit it big. He said that pre-Facebook voters tended to be ignorant of what the scandal of the day the media was focusing on and wanted to talk about personal issues. Post-FB later in the administration, he said that the focus groups had changed to focus exclusively on the media obsession of the day.

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    Shivahn that is a thoughtful and helpful take! Thank you!

Also, you’re good people and let nothing in the record suggest I’ve thought a thing otherwise

Sometimes I worry that Shivahn is a mad scientist, but then I remember that credeiki exists and I'm not sure which one to worry about first

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I dunno what happened. Redfin was showing me like 5-8 homes per day before.

But this past week it has been sending me 10-20 homes... twice a day... at least...

WHAT CHANGED?!

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

We're doing much better than we were. Used to have bible studies on Thursdays. Now we had a special thing for pride month where everyone put up pictures of their families (even non standard!) on the wall in entrance to the company. But they would still never be so woke as to be gender neutral.

My company will celebrate the dumbest shit like national pretzel day or whatever with free snacks in the kitchen but did not even try to have rainbow cupcakes or something for pride month. Shows what our HR priorities are.

Yeah, I've been here since 01' and I this was the first year they did something for pride. They did the family picture thing, they did a big donation drive to a thing for homeless LGBT youths and had a speaker come in to talk about that program and being a better ally.

It was.. weird. Like, we only just got Fox News taken off the break area TVs and switched to Bloomburg a couple of years ago. I really find the whole thing pleasantly surprising.

Comedy is they are still adamant about not giving us MLK off.

• Options
    The best Dan Carlin thing for me though was his one on Cesar in Gaul. He used a lot of primary sources in it and its always fun hearing Cesar talk about his time in Gaul because you know it is 50% bullshit written for propaganda back in Rome. Yet it is written by the man himself. Much respect to the tyrant.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Seal wrote: »

I was really struck by the comment by the Obama official talking about focus groups before and after Facebook hit it big. He said that pre-Facebook voters tended to be ignorant of what the scandal of the day the media was focusing on and wanted to talk about personal issues. Post-FB later in the administration, he said that the focus groups had changed to focus exclusively on the media obsession of the day.

ok so guys here's what we do

we take the social media cat

and we shove it in this box here

and we light the box on fire

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Welp this cloning thing didn't work and it won't boot from this ssd. I'll just do a fresh install.

Waffles made a windows 10 install USB on her pc, can I use that to reinstall or will it have the wrong serial key baked in or something?

Windows 10 key is linked to motherboard, should activate fine.

Make sure you switch your SATA BIOS settings from IDE to AHCI. It can be a pain to switch after installing Windows 10 and IDE format doesn't support SSDs at higher speeds. Might even fix your boot issue.

I just did an SSD upgrade on an ancient system and it was lots of "what the hell" moments.

I'm moving from a smaller ssd to a bigger ssd so it should be fine but I will check the ahci thing. I think I screwed it up because the clone partitoned it without using all the new extra space and my fiddling with that probably broke it. Oh well a fresh install is always nice and I can pop the other ssd in and copy off relevant data before I give it to waffles. Thanks!

• Options

But this past week it has been sending me 10-20 homes... twice a day... at least...

WHAT CHANGED?!

Redfin sucks? They hire the worst agents.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    WoT reread funtimes:
    Perrin just got Faile back. Our longstanding national nightmare is over.

Boom headshot

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

WHAT CHANGED?!

The site itself works plenty fine. I prefer it to trulia and other alternatives.

• Options
    The best Dan Carlin thing for me though was his one on Cesar in Gaul. He used a lot of primary sources in it and its always fun hearing Cesar talk about his time in Gaul because you know it is 50% bullshit written for propaganda back in Rome. Yet it is written by the man himself. Much respect to the tyrant.

That was a great episode!

And yes, Roman propaganda being so blatant is always delicious - "The invincibility of the Roman Legion!", "They fled the field of battle, abandoning their women and children!", "I'm pretty sure those tribespeople eat babies!"

And then there are accounts from genuine writers from the time who are like "Hey these Germanic folk are pretty cool! I mean they sure do like to drink a lot, but they appear to function under almost like a pseudo-democracy, and treat their women with reverence and respect!"

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Yeah, I've been here since 01' and I this was the first year they did something for pride. They did the family picture thing, they did a big donation drive to a thing for homeless LGBT youths and had a speaker come in to talk about that program and being a better ally.

It was.. weird. Like, we only just got Fox News taken off the break area TVs and switched to Bloomburg a couple of years ago. I really find the whole thing pleasantly surprising.

Comedy is they are still adamant about not giving us MLK off.

at least they aren't calling it Lee-Jackson day?
    oh god wait is that only a virginia thing and not even the south as a whole
    Virginia >:[

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    hey chat im learning this new dance choreography and it's super fun and someone (@elki) should learn this dance with me and then me and that person (@elki) can dance it together sometime and it will be super cool so yeah if anyone (@elki) is interested just lmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6gS2KbYkk

tutorial vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2HLM67_BG4

Let me watch that after work and see if it looks cool. I could actually be interested in that :)

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options

And yes, Roman propaganda being so blatant is always delicious - "The invincibility of the Roman Legion!", "They fled the field of battle, abandoning their women and children!", "I'm pretty sure those tribespeople eat babies!"

And then there are accounts from genuine writers from the time who are like "Hey these Germanic folk are pretty cool! I mean they sure do like to drink a lot, but they appear to function under almost like a pseudo-democracy, and treat their women with reverence and respect!"

Those "honorable savages" since they were prepping Rome for conquering them and then integrating and Romanizing them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

WHAT CHANGED?!

On one hand they are kind of hit or miss when it comes to agents, on the other hand they have lower fees, and they pay their agents a salary as opposed to other brokers that charge their agents money for their license, and then take 50%-60% of the commission.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Shivahn that is a thoughtful and helpful take! Thank you!

Sometimes I worry that Shivahn is a mad scientist, but then I remember that credeiki exists and I'm not sure which one to worry about first

Cred always struck me less as a mad scientist as just a regular scientist under employment by a potential Bond Villain. Probably doesn't really want to destroy the world but it pays alright and it's a pain looking for new jobs.

• Options

Those "honorable savages" since they were prepping Rome for conquering them and then integrating and Romanizing them.

As a native from the part of North America that the French initially dominated, I know all about the "noble savage" treatment :wink:

• Options
    I've had good agents and bad and the difference has been fairly minute outside of my own personal frustrations in dealing with them

contrasted with a good real estate attorney vs a bad one where the difference is night and day

same with home inspectors

• Options

WHAT CHANGED?!

On one hand they are kind of hit or miss when it comes to agents, on the other hand they have lower fees, and they pay their agents a salary as opposed to other brokers that charge their agents money for their license, and then take 50%-60% of the commission.

I don't know of any office that takes half a commission. Majority of them just have exorbitant desk fees. Like windermere downtown seattle was 2k+ a month. Usually lower fee offices are for established agents looking for cheaper dues, or for newbies who don't know any better. Redfin seems to attract newbie as fuck people.

Also seems weird they'd have fees and a salary, so they pay you to pay them? Unless you mean lower commissions offered to sellers? That usually means you are getting super lower quality of service.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

WHAT CHANGED?!

Oh I'm not using them for agents. Their site is just the easiest to use for finding places that I've found. It's great as a tool!

Housing in my area is so cheap the whole "Redfin savings" thing they preach doesn't even do anything. So I just use the site to find properties and share them with the GF. It also has a better breakdown that shows taxes/insurance for each place so you get a much better view on the monthly cost nice and easily.

It's great as a tool, I wouldn't and won't know about it for anything else.

This discussion has been closed.