Options

[Michael Cohen] Cohen cooperating conditionally, could connect POTUS

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    CBS News This Morning just missed the best Chyron. It said 'The President's Felons'. It was missing one word: All.

So, you see, whatever value Cohen actually had, he also has the value of shifting the narrative if only slightly. Trump' s former personal attorney is calling him out as a horrible, stupid person. The media is rather forced to report on it.

It won't shift the hardcore 37%, but they aren't the targets. Not for the next few months, anyway.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    CBS News This Morning just missed the best Chyron. It said 'The President's Felons'. It was missing one word: All.

So, you see, whatever value Cohen actually had, he also has the value of shifting the narrative if only slightly. Trump' s former personal attorney is calling him out as a horrible, stupid person. The media is rather forced to report on it.

It won't shift the hardcore 37%, but they aren't the targets. Not for the next few months, anyway.

Don’t worry, the New York Daily News had your back:

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Hahahahaha!
    Donald Trump is currently the President.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Probably the least obnoxious tweet of his I’ve ever seen in these threads

Alternatively, what if I’m looking for a criminal lawyer?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    probably leaving him a bad yelp review as we speak

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    If Cohen is continuing to dogwhistle about getting a pardon, I think we've disproven Trump's lycanthropy.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    The best people, as usual.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trump wrote:
    I hire the worst people. I'm a moron!

Fixed that for you, asshole.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Probably the least obnoxious tweet of his I’ve ever seen in these threads

Alternatively, what if I’m looking for a criminal lawyer?

He got caught basically the first time anyone bothered to look, so he wasn't great at that either.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Hahahahaha!

The republic is burning, but I love a good zinger. Good one tiny hands!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    he got caught, left a ton of evidence, and then squealed

he is demonstrably a bad criminal lawyer

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Hahahahaha!

The republic is burning, but I love a good zinger. Good one tiny hands!

I'm going to call it, I think this may be trumps best tweet ever. I strongly suspect it was ghostwritten.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Hahahahaha!

The first Trump tweet I actually agree with

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Hahahahaha!

This is premium Twitter content

The president of the United states of America shit talking his shit attorney for blabbing to the feds like we're aren't all seeing this shit.

Like I don't think that was meant to be ironic...i don't think the president is self aware enough to be making the joke about how fucked he might be.

Sleep on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Its so sad when Trump thinks he's being funny

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Its so sad when Trump thinks he's being funny

It reads like a parody account tweet

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    That's too neat and tidy a sentence for Trump to be the author.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I don’t care about your Trump dirt Cohen, gimmie the Rush dirt. The horrible horrible Limbaugh leak.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I don’t care about your Trump dirt Cohen, gimmie the Rush dirt. The horrible horrible Limbaugh leak.

Neil Peart can’t play swing?

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Hannity handouts, give me those lurid details. Who did he need Cohen to pay off. Muller has tons of evidence on Trump, but dismantling the conservative mouthpieces is a necessary part of getting things right again.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I... what.

Does he not understand what settlements are?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Trump: Michael Cohen plead guilty to two counts of campaign finance violations that are not a crime. President Obama had a big campaign finance violation and it was easily settled!

Campaign Finance Violations are not crimes. UNLESS YOU'RE OBAMA.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I’ve been seeing that “Michael Cohen admitted to violating laws he didn’t violate!” thing doing the rounds all morning, long before Trump tweeted about it. I haven’t looked into it yet, but I’m assuming it’s the usual sort of spin from someone on Fox News or something.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Also, he's using the wrong tense of "plead" there, I think

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm probably late to the party but I woke up to Cohen's lawyer on NPR saying in no uncertain terms that crimes were committed by candidate Trump. It was an interesting interview.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/22/640795902/michael-cohens-lawyer-says-hed-never-accept-a-pardon-from-president-trump
    "He has not pled guilty to a crime, but his own lawyers have described him directing somebody to do something that is a criminal act — which is to hush up his affairs with two women," Davis says. "And that's not what this is about: It's about his hushing up those affairs in order to influence the outcome of an election."

That_Guy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    If you are wondering what the Obama campaign violations were, this 2013 Politico article talks about them.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/obama-2008-campaign-fined-375000-085784
    The major sticking point for the FEC appeared to be a series of missing 48-hour notices for nearly 1,300 contributions totaling more than $1.8 million — an issue that lawyers familiar with the commission’s work say the FEC takes seriously. The notices must be filed on contributions of $1,000 or more that are received within the 20-day window of Election Day.

More than half of those contributions were transferred from the Obama Victory Fund,a joint committee between the campaign and the Democratic National Committee.

Sources said the fine resulting from the settlement agreement has been paid, with $230,000 coming from the Obama campaign’s coffers and the remainder from the DNC.

The document outlined other violations, such as erroneous contribution dates on some campaign reports. The Obama campaign was also late returning some contributions that exceeded the legal limit.
    Nothing suggests Obama was responsible or that they were knowing violations.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    If you are wondering what the Obama campaign violations were, this 2013 Politico article talks about them.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/obama-2008-campaign-fined-375000-085784
    The major sticking point for the FEC appeared to be a series of missing 48-hour notices for nearly 1,300 contributions totaling more than $1.8 million — an issue that lawyers familiar with the commission’s work say the FEC takes seriously. The notices must be filed on contributions of $1,000 or more that are received within the 20-day window of Election Day.

More than half of those contributions were transferred from the Obama Victory Fund,a joint committee between the campaign and the Democratic National Committee.

Sources said the fine resulting from the settlement agreement has been paid, with $230,000 coming from the Obama campaign’s coffers and the remainder from the DNC.

The document outlined other violations, such as erroneous contribution dates on some campaign reports. The Obama campaign was also late returning some contributions that exceeded the legal limit.
    Nothing suggests Obama was responsible or that they were knowing violations.

not to mention they paid for the violations regardless

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Imagine a secret recording of Obama personally scheming with his lawyer to *checks notes* miss the deadline on the paperwork and then pay a fine.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    As has often been quoted by the Pod (Save America) Bros, 'it's not the crime, it's the cover-up'.

Hell, they've also speculated (in the past) that it's possible that Trump (and/or his team) could have committed obstruction of justice over things that aren't actually crimes.

I think we're past the point of believing he hasn't done anything criminal (easy there, hot takers, I know, I know), but at least from their perspective (and insight I've come to trust so far), the 'whataboutism' falls so very flat, doubly so while they're apparently busy committing ALL THE CRIMES.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Trump: Michael Cohen plead guilty to two counts of campaign finance violations that are not a crime. President Obama had a big campaign finance violation and it was easily settled!

Campaign Finance Violations are not crimes. UNLESS YOU'RE OBAMA.

The pertinent distinction here is that in past cases the defense argued that third party expenditures to, say, mistresses, were not to help the campaign; and the state failed to prove they were.

Cohen flat out admits it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I’ve been seeing that “Michael Cohen admitted to violating laws he didn’t violate!” thing doing the rounds all morning, long before Trump tweeted about it. I haven’t looked into it yet, but I’m assuming it’s the usual sort of spin from someone on Fox News or something.

Of course it is. Trump is never an active initiator of this shit. He's not in control of the conservative media bubble, he's a passive consumer of it.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Went out and got myself a copy of the failing New York Times this morning. This'll go in a frame at some point I'm sure.

ROnyj4s.jpg?1

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Yeah, SDNY has already stated Cohen was admitting to things they had other evidence of. It wasn't a spontaneous admission. They knew, he knew they knew, they knew he knew they knew, so he took a plea.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

It must feel pretty good to be vindicated after having your name run through the mud and constantly called a liar by men who get the benefit of the doubt through the circumstances of their birth

Stormy Daniels is one of the two women Donald Trump and Michael Cohen illegally paid off prior to the 2016 election

• Options
    edited August 2018
    matt has a problem was warned for this.
    I still don't like her. None of this is altruistic on her part. It's about money, knowing she can make even more money making noise about it now than she did keeping quiet about it. It serves a purpose, but still, fuck Stormy Daniels. If she'd told the world instead of being a $130k hooker in 2016, we wouldn't be here right now.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I still don't like her. None of this is altruistic on her part. It's about money, knowing she can make even more money making noise about it now than she did keeping quiet about it. It serves a purpose, but still, fuck Stormy Daniels. If she'd told the world instead of being a $130k hooker in 2016, we wouldn't be here right now.

If she had been physically threatened as she says, I can believe she would keep quiet until she got proper legal help. But until then, her own lawyer was conspiring with Cohen to keep her mouth shut.

She was up against the fucking mob. Cut her some slack.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

If she had been physically threatened as she says, I can believe she would keep quiet until she got proper legal help. But until then, her own lawyer was conspiring with Cohen to keep her mouth shut.

She was up against the fucking mob. Cut her some slack.

Also calling someone a "hooker" as an insult for taking payment for her story is fucking gross dude.

She likely took the money because like everyone she thought Trump would lose so it didn't matter and after he didn't she wanted to talk about the issue. And also it's become fairly clear she got fucking cheated by Cohen on the NDA thing, given who was supposedly representing her interests in the case.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    These people have been smearing her in the press for a good year too

• Options
    If they were able to threaten her into keeping quiet they wouldn't have paid her $130k. I literally don't believe anything anyone on either side of this story is saying.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    It is indeed worth remembering that her legal help (who was supposed to be looking out for her best interests), was actually working with Trump the whole time.

This discussion has been closed.