Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Volfyirion looks good! We were asked to preview Mysthea at some point in the past, which ... wasn't great, so I'm not sure I trust Tabula's design pedigree exactly, but man, their art is gorgeous. And the investment at under $20 on this is small enough and I like deck-builders. Sold.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    You had me at tiny wooden easel.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    NEXT SEGMENT OF MY MASSIVE ESSAY

That covers the planned INs (except for a few that I will get to later for... reasons). Now for the unplanned ones:

Cockroach Poker: I had heard about this and bought it on a whim as I was going into the bar of a boardgame cafe. It immediately met expectations. Very fun little bluffing game that would make an excellent drinking game if, y'know, you're into that kind of thing.

Fox in the Forest: really good 1v1 trick-taking game with beautiful card art. Not much more to say about it -- the mechanics will be familiar to anyone who's played a trick-taking game and it adds just enough to make 1v1 a compelling experience.

13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis: this is the most random game I picked up on recommendation from Heavy Cardboard as filler, but it's real real good. It has that Twilight Struggle feel but it is FAST and TENSE. You're removing influence from the board as often as placing it to keep DEFCON down so the game ends up with a really interesting cycle of escalation and de-escalation that feels very appropriate to the crisis. Last night I won a game by baiting her into over-investing in politically escalating Cuba because I had guessed that we both chose the Agenda that escalates the political Defcon track, so when we revealed she was pushed to Defcon 1 and started a nuclear war. Which means I win!

Pax Renaissance: see previous post.

Now for the Pile of Shame, i.e. games I've played one or fewer times since the previous post.

Clank!, Orleans, Suburbia: Clank! is good and I'll definitely pull it out again. Orleans I played one learning game and I dunno... it just didn't click with me. I'll probably give it another try before moving on. Suburbia is a game I traded for because it was a good deal and it showed up at the same time as Castles of Burgundy. Being a big-ol-box of stuff while also kind of just being another tile-laying game means I haven't even thought about pulling it out and I may just try to move it.

7 Wonders: Duel, Patchwork: two-player games that haven't hit the table since I got Pax Renaissance and Fox in the Forest. We like Patchwork a lot and it will definitely show up again. Duel I was less thrilled with but I'm going to keep it for sure -- it's a small footprint game and I do like the 1v1 drafting mecahnic.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Clank! is glorous. I need to find a storage solution for all the expansions.

What games are like Great Western Trail? Its just so utterly perfect. The upcoming Gugong - The Forbidden City will be shipping to me soon, and I got it because it looks similar; interlocking minigames that turn into an economic empire.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    There is a board game silent auction at my store and I think I'm going to try and get rid of some junk I've been holding for years.

Citadels - I get assassinated every time. Player Elimination is awful.
    Ascension - This was my first boardgame, bought it at PAXE 07 I think and well there are much better balanced deckbuilders.
    Vast Crystal Chronicles - Too complicated to teach for not enough payoff. Good ideas but I'm not enthusiastic about teaching it.
    Arkham Horror/Dunwich Horror/Black Goat - This takes too much room, takes too long to play, and apparently still sells decently well. I saw the boardgame shop move 3 boxes of this in the used section at 50$ each!!
    Monopoly 60th Anniversary Edition - Never played, will never play, maybe someone will want. Even if I only get 5-10 dollars for it, its more than I have now.
    Illuminati - Too complicated and not the most fun. Rules are poorly arranged.

Citadels and Illuminati seem to be going for decent amounts on amazon for no discernible reason. I should probably look into selling those some other way.

I picked up Splendor last night. I think my 5 year old could probably play this one and I think my group will like it.

I want to get Welcome To... but it appears to be out of stock everywhere.
    I also kind of want to get Container and Brass:Birmingham which are also hard to find apparently.

If they are cheap at the auction I might get:

Castles of Burgundy
    Puerto Rico
    Both old but no one in our group has them or has played castles.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Building buildings and activating things along a path kinda reminded me of Caylus, though I wouldn't say they feel particularly similar outside of that.

• Options
    You can get Brass (either version) for under-MSRP on Amazon or direct from Roxley. They're readily available.

Container is less so.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Weird, I thought I checked the Roxley website and they didn't show it on their shop page.

I usually try to order it through the boardgame shop if possible. I know its more expensive.
    There is someone at my meetup who owns Container and said they didn't like it enough to keep. Going to see if maybe I can get it away from them someday.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    There is a board game silent auction at my store and I think I'm going to try and get rid of some junk I've been holding for years.

Citadels - I get assassinated every time. Player Elimination is awful.
    [-snip-]

Our group found Citadels got a new lease of life when we picked up the expansion with alternative roles, primarily to replace the Assassin. It's still on low rotation, but gets enough play - and more fun with the expansion - to justify keeping it around.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Building buildings and activating things along a path kinda reminded me of Caylus, though I wouldn't say they feel particularly similar outside of that.

That's the thing about GWT -- it's a hybrid of a bunch of systems that are merged really well, so there's really no other one game it feels like.

I might say Concordia as one with a similar variety of interlocking minigames.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Trajan is the game i associate most with the description "a bunch of minigames", but again i wouldnt say its similar to Great Western Trail in any particular way

edit: unrelatedly, my kickstarter copy of The Estates arrived today and man it looks great and im excited to play it this weekend

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    For those interested GMT games has a 50% off sale currently happening using the code GMTSale2018. Their website is getting hammered took me about an hour of refreshing to get my cart updated but I snagged Space Empires and Space Empires: Replicators for $85 shipped, saved $62.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    El Mucho wrote: »
    For those interested GMT games has a 50% off sale currently happening using the code GMTSale2018. Their website is getting hammered took me about an hour of refreshing to get my cart updated but I snagged Space Empires and Space Empires: Replicators for $85 shipped saved $62.

I grabbed 1846 and Colonial Twilight.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    edit: unrelatedly, my kickstarter copy of The Estates arrived today and man it looks great and im excited to play it this weekend

The Estates is fantastic.

• Options
    The deals must be good, I can't even get near that website.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My kickstarter copy of Endeavor: Age of Sail arrived a few days before I headed overseas and I didn't have time to go through a whole unboxing thing so I left it there waiting for my return and completely forgot about it until just now and it was exciting all over again.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The deals must be good, I can't even get near that website.

GMT games can be decently pricey so a flat %50 off up to 20 purchases is nuts.

• Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    My copy of The Estates arrived today too. I immediately starting talking trash with my friend after unboxing it, this is gonna be great.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Finally played some Yomi last night

I am very bad at Yomi but I think I really really like Yomi

I do not know how to get better

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Shines the Yomi signal for @mysticjuicer

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I think you'll find that the answer is in fact:

Yomi

(I am sorry I could not help myself.)

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Wife beat me at Splendor last night so now she loves it.
    Friend is going to bring over Xia: Drift Galaxy tonight, and that sounds pretty interesting from what I've heard of it so I hope its fun.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Wife beat me at Splendor last night so now she loves it.
    Friend is going to bring over Xia: Drift Galaxy tonight, and that sounds pretty interesting from what I've heard of it so I hope its fun.

I've played Xia once and thought it was all right; if Friend knows it better than you, expect them to win and just play to learn, though. It's the kind of game where knowing what you're trying to execute on before you get rolling helps substantially.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

Hey @Mr. G ! Really glad you enjoyed your first taste of Yomi! :biggrin: What characters did you play, and play against? Any particularly exciting moments or big comebacks?

If you're looking to improve your play, here are some generic tips that apply broadly to most of the cast in most match-ups.

1. Block more. Blocking only loses to throws (most of the time) and you keep your block card unless you lose combat. This means that blocking (1) protects you from the most damaging types of combat losses, because for most characters the most damaging combos all start with an attack, and (2) it improves your hand quality, by getting you a larger hand with more options, as well as more easily allowing you to discard pairs/triples/quads for Aces.

2. Only dodge in the late or mid-game. Dodging is very card inefficient, so in the early game, you want to block instead to build up a hand full of good/flexible combat options. Typically you want to save your dodges so that you can follow them up with a double, triple, or quad-Ace super.

3. Only play combat options that lead into beneficial situations for you. For example, even if you knew with 100% certainty that your opponent was going to block or dodge on a certain turn, you should block if you have neither (1) a good combo off a successful throw, or (2) a good combo off a mix-up normal if you threw them to get knock-down this turn. Winning combat in Yomi is uncertain - you can't rely on doing it; but once you have won combat, unless they have and play a Joker, your follow-up damage is 100% certain. It's therefore important to maximize the value (i.e. damage) of your combat wins as much as possible.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Okay here's the end of that essay I started days ago:

Finally, the Still Want to Buy/Trade for list:

Tigris & Euphrates: I love this game and will own it one day, but as a kind-of-heavy and kind-of-weird area control game it's not going to make it to the table anytime soon when up against Root.

Concordia: I keep going back and forth on whether this is a game I really want or one I expect to whiff... on the one hand it has a lot of the elements of recent whiffs (kind of dry euros) but it seems to have a ton of elements I love in games: some deckbuilding, some conflicts for territory, economic conflicts, etc etc. The worst part of this game is the terrible box shape.

1846: me, two months ago: I need to revamp my collection so I have more games that can be played by a wider variety of people. Me, now: 4+ hour train game? Sign me up! Okay but for real... GMT is having their fall sale and this might be the MOST playable game I could get from them. I do have a group I think I can get to play this (playing it twice might be the hard part) and I want a heavy economic game.

Azul: back to the more reasonable options this is one I want for the accessible side of my collection. I've held off on pulling the trigger because I still have accessible games on my shelf of shame, but it's just a matter of time. It's so pretty.

Arboretum: see above accessibility + prettiness factor. Gonna wait for the reprint to hit stores though.

Skull: I want this game but I'm not going to buy it. Bear with me.

Skull is out of print which means a game that, while pretty, can be played with a standard deck of cards is priced at $40+. I'm not gonna pay that, but I also don't want to play it with a deck of cards. So what I've decided to do instead if collect sets of coasters from various breweries in the Seattle and Portland area and then commission local artists (likely friends and acquantainces) to sketch or paint skulls onto them.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Skull is in-print again? I got it off Amazon for like $15 not that long ago.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I have a copy of skull I got for ten bucks and I would sell it to you for cost plus shipping

But honestly your plan sounds so cool you should still do that

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Skull went clearance at GameStop not long ago. There should be a surplus being sold off either from stores or those who are trying to benefit from it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Skull on the cheap: get beercoasters, give everyone 4 beercoasters. Have everyone mark the back of 1 of the 4 beercoasters. Play!!

I really like the craft brewery beercoasters skull idea!!

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Oh, Mr G., if you and your group are interested in more advanced character-based advice, I've put together a list of resources on the Sirlin Games forums, which you can access here. However, ff you have an invested group of players locally, and you are all learning the game at sort of the same pace, I wouldn't actually use this. Fighting games and other two-player games like Yomi are often at their most fun when people are on a fairly similar level, so I would actually suggest avoiding guides and the like unless you find that someone is starting to consistently lag behind and their enjoyment is suffering as a result.

If there is someone who is significantly worse than the rest in your group, I would highly encourage you to share the lessons you've learned and any glaring weaknesses you may be exploiting. The great thing about the rock-paper-scissors nature of Yomi is that telling your opponent "I notice that you always respect and play around my AAA super when I power up for it, and that lets me throw you" just opens up a new level of mindgames: are they going to adapt their play to punish your throws now, or since you are now both aware of their tendency to turtle up, will they now expect you to throw less in those circumstances, since you expect them to play attacks to beat your throws?

Playing the same match-up against the same player over and over again actually makes it more fun and exciting, since you have more and more historical tendencies to base your decision making on. "They used to block really heavily in the early turns, but then recently they've started attacking my throws a lot, what will they do this time?"

Anyway, enough gushing from me. Hope you and your group continue to enjoy this lovely game!

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Skull on the cheap: get beercoasters, give everyone 4 beercoasters. Have everyone mark the back of 1 of the 4 beercoasters. Play!!

Those coasters aren't built to last.

I tried spraying them with some kind of clear coat but then they got stuck to each other, ripping paint off.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

Those coasters aren't built to last.

I tried spraying them with some kind of clear coat but then they got stuck to each other, ripping paint off.

Contact paper or laminating at a print shop should do it.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Found an FFG article about the design process that is going into each of their unique games and thought it would be a good read for people since there have been a lot of questions since we first found out about this concept.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/19/the-unique-story-of-unique-games/

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have recommendations for good horror games? I have Betrayal at House on the Hill but I'm looking for more.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations for good horror games? I have Betrayal at House on the Hill but I'm looking for more.

Define horror.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

There's the million Cthulhu games, IMO Mansions of Madness is the horror-iest one. Maybe Dead of Winter? For a Halloween (but not so horror) theme I like Mysterium. Also depending on the crowd 10 candles is pretty cool.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Any of the FFG Lovecraft games (esp Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror LCG, Mansions of Madness, and Elder Sign).

If you’re into zombies, there’s Dead of Winter and City of Horror.

Horror with an anime tinge, Tragedy Looper.

Surreal survival horror (and massive investment) Kingdom Death.

Gloom is pretty macabre.

The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31, a great game based on the classic of 80s horror.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Been a while since I swung through the thread, but if anyone will be going to Flying Frog Productions' "Dice Fest" in Seattle next weekend, you and I might just cross paths!

I'll be helping them out (likely running a Shadows of Brimstone game of some sort), having gotten a taste for running games at a more professional level across the last few Gencons.

I'll be working at their booth at Gencon next year as well, but obviously that's a ways off.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

I have been derelict in my duties this year. Traditionally I make it a point to make sure Ghost Stories gets played every week in October but so far we're 0-3. To be fair, last week we were all suffering from hurricane-related power outages but we still made it to Game Night...

This discussion has been closed.