As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Artifact] Call to Arms set released. Give mid or feed!

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I don't understand how the rope works?

I have, like, 10min on my clock and my opponent only have like, 6. Yet if I take a single turn that's longer than 30seconds, my turn autoends? What's up with that?

They're basically chess clocks. Since windows for taking actions bounces back and forth between players, the 30s timer keeps things moving, but the major clock makes sure the game doesn't stall out.

I don't think I've actually come close to clocking out, since you do get two minutes or so added to the clock when a shop phase starts.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I have, like, 10min on my clock and my opponent only have like, 6. Yet if I take a single turn that's longer than 30seconds, my turn autoends? What's up with that?

There's separate turn timer and overall time limit.

Time gets added to the overall time limit at the end of each round and if it runs out you lose instantly.

I think it just passes the turn if your turn timer runs out.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Neat if you tie a game but never lose it still counts as a Perfect Run.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Time gets added to the overall time limit at the end of each round and if it runs out you lose instantly.

Yes and its cost me multiple games even though I am playing way faster than my opponent.

I dislike this timer. Why can't I use my clock?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I get impatient if my opponent takes 30 seconds to pass. I'd get annoyed if people started taking their whole clock in one go.

• Options
    Is there anywhere on the screen that shows what your actual turn timer is? All I see is a clock at 6min then the computer telling me I only actually have 5 seconds.

I too get annoyed when my opponents slow play, which is why it sucks that my timer being many minutes larger is costing me games when I specifically play faster than most people to not annoy them

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    bought an apotheosis blade last game. felt preeeety good.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Yes and its cost me multiple games even though I am playing way faster than my opponent.

To prevent your opponent from BMing you by making you sit there for 5 minutes as the clock runs out

Speaking of timers.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DifferentIronicSpiderDoubleRainbow

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    All right, time for Spawnbroker's Funtime Drafting Spectacular! I'm gonna put the pick out there and then give my thoughts on why I picked it. After, I'll show how I build the deck. This was an expert Phantom draft. This is gonna be long, so let's jump right in.

Drafting

Pack 1
    Pack 1, pick 1
    5feopAK.png
    Explanation:
    Time of Triumph, Dimensional Portal. The two standouts of the pack. Some people would argue to pick Zeus here, but Zeus isn't a top tier hero and I don't want to miss out on a Time or a D-portal.

Pack 1, pick 2
    0KzkOzA.png
    Explanation:
    Thunderstorm, Cunning Plan. This got weird quickly. Okay, the obvious standout card is Thunderstorm and is an easy snap pick. The second pick is between Incarnation, Cunning Plan, and Gank. Incarnation is not really a bomb in the way that other colors bombs work, she's more of a combo card. So the choice is between Gank and Cunning Plan. Since I already have two amazing blue cards, it's likely I'm going blue, and I'm definitely at least splashing red for Time...so that means if I go gank, I'd be either splashing black, which makes Gank BAD...or I'd be blue-black, which is my worst color combination and would lower my winrate. I go for Cunning Plan because it fits with my current gameplan.

Pack 1, pick 3
    zHeUPh3.png
    Explanation:
    At Any Cost, Thunderstorm. I am really kicking myself for passing on that Incarnation now, but I think it was still the right choice. Now we're running the risk of our blue deck being TOO reactive, so we need to pick more proactive cards in the future. These cards are too good to pass up, though. Shout out to Iron Fog Goldmine as a strong contender for the pick, but it's looking like we're pretty strongly in blue, so black cards are getting worse and worse.

Pack 1, pick 4
    AtHbloB.png
    Explanation:
    Ventriloquy, Selemene's Favor. We're pretty happy to see a Favor here as it will help us ramp to our big spells. We're hoping to pick up some green finishers now. Ventriloquy will help protect our squishy blue heroes.

Pack 1, pick 5
    NkuOTRW.png
    Explanation:
    Messenger Rookery, Pick a Fight. Snap up the rookery, it will let our red heroes retarget. This is a choice between Bellow or Pick a Fight and I think Pick a Fight is more likely to make the deck.

Pack 1, pick 6
    m9ecTEu.png
    Explanation:
    Venomancer, Rend Armor. Perfect, this is a blue hero that our deck wants. Stall out the board until we can win with our late game.

Picks so far:
    Pack 1: Time of Triumph, Dimensional Portal, Thunderstorm, Cunning Plan, At Any Cost, Thunderstorm, Ventriloquy, Selemene's Favor, Messenger Rookery, Pick a Fight, Venomancer, Rend Armor.

Pack 2
    Pack 2, pick 1
    eMW5Zwm.png
    Explanation:
    Spring the Trap, Thunderhide Pack. Exactly what we needed, some more red and a green bomb for what's looking more and more like a green splash. Some good black cards here, but we aren't going to play black unless we're forced to, and these cards fit with what we're looking for.

Pack 2, pick 2
    PFSmbWi.png
    Explanation:
    Arm the Rebellion, Tower Barrage. Call the reserves is too expensive and we need more early game. I almost picked the Vhoul Martyr, but Tower Barrage classifies is early game and it fits with our game plan of trying to stall. This is looking more and more like a control deck. Slay would be good if we were already in black.

Pack 2, pick 3
    eu0o0Oc.png
    Explanation:
    Beastmaster, Homefield Advantage. Beastmaster fits our deck and we needed a red hero, but now I'm starting to get worried about our curve. We need more early stuff. Homefield Advantage is just a solid improvement. I was considering Cursed Satyr here, but I think Homefield is better. Heroic Resolve doesn't fit in our deck, we are not a red aggro deck.

Pack 2, pick 4
    ILAZEqP.png
    Explanation:
    Clear the Deck, Murder Plot. Clear the deck is playable and might make the deck. Murder plot is good and this could be the start of a black splash. Buying time and collateral damage are not cards.

Pack 2, pick 5
    QFpfBfK.png
    Explanation:
    New Orders, Stonehall Pike. I don't think Stonehall Pike is a very good equipment, but I'll take it here over Fight so I don't have to play a leather armor. The argument could be made to grab Fight here, but I like new orders for our early game better, even though initiative will be very important to us.

Pack 2, pick 6
    6bAG2o2.png
    Explanation:
    Payday, Helm of the Dominator. Oof, punished for not being black!

Picks so far:
    Pack 1: Time of Triumph, Dimensional Portal, Thunderstorm, Cunning Plan, At Any Cost, Thunderstorm, Ventriloquy, Selemene's Favor, Messenger Rookery, Pick a Fight, Venomancer, Rend Armor.
    Pack 2: Spring the Trap, Thunderhide Pack, Arm the Rebellion, Tower Barrage, Beastmaster, Homefield Advantage, Clear the Deck, Murder Plot, New Orders, Stonehall Pike, Payday, Helm of the Dominator.

Pack 3
    Pack 3, pick 1
    ssGA3lc.png
    Explanation:
    Ogre Magi, Time of Triumph. What the fuck even is this draft. REALLY regretting not picking that Incarnation now that I'm going to have a constructed level deck over here. Ogre Magi is a good blue hero and we're obviously going double blue, so we snap him up.

Pack 3, pick 2
    riibEnF.png
    Explanation:
    Roseleaf Rejuvenator, Oglodi Vandal. This is kind of a hedging pick. IF we go green splash, Roseleaf can help us survive after our terrible lategame. IF we go black splash, Oglodi Vandal is a good proactive creep to play on turn 2. We don't need gold generation even if we do the black splash, we need to survive to 8 mana.

Pack 3, pick 3
    DxKJ1Cd.png
    Explanation:
    Stonehall Cloak, Relentless Pursuit. Sucks to miss the enchantress here, but oh well. Stonehall Cloak is amazing equipment, so we snap that up. Relentless Pursuit is a playable black card and we already have a Clear the Deck. We can still splash black.

Pack 3, pick 4
    BnabF9w.png
    Explanation:
    Foresight, Call the Reserves. Foresight is great in our blue control deck. Call the Reserves could see play, but unlikely. Not a fan of lightning strike.

Pack 3, pick 5
    560c9NW.png
    Explanation:
    Cursed Satyr, Ventriloquy. Both of these are fine, cursed satyr might actually make it in the deck for more stall.

Pack 3, pick 6
    cOnakS5.png
    Explanation:
    Arcane Censure, Obliterating Orb. We're not playing these cards.

Picks so far:
    Pack 2: Spring the Trap, Thunderhide Pack, Arm the Rebellion, Tower Barrage, Beastmaster, Homefield Advantage, Clear the Deck, Murder Plot, New Orders, Stonehall Pike, Payday, Helm of the Dominator.
    Pack 3: Ogre Magi, Time of Triumph, Roseleaf Rejuvenator, Oglodi Vandal, Stonehall Cloak, Relentless Pursuit, Foresight, Call the Reserves, Cursed Satyr, Ventriloquy, Arcane Censure, Obliterating Orb.

Pack 4
    Pack 4, pick 1
    9txfbxM.png
    Explanation:
    Friendly Fire, Oglodi Vandal. This is a really interesting pick. Friendly Fire is good and fits out game plan, but our second pick is weird. We need good creeps, BADLY. Relentless Zombie is in our main color, but it's not a good creep. It just stalls more. Oglodi Vandal kills melee creeps and helps finish, so we pick it up. We don't want another homefield advantage because it's not a creep. Now that we have two good, early, creeps in black, this GREATLY increases our chances of splashing black instead of green.

Pack 4, pick 2
    DL0Bhvc.png
    Explanation:
    Foresight, Defensive Bloom. Defensive Bloom is a creep! Bad creeps, but hey, we have arm the rebellion. We still haven't fully decided on whether we're splashing black or green.

Pack 4, pick 3
    4KEJD56.png
    Explanation:
    Arm the Rebellion, Sucker Punch. We're double red, so sucker punch is good. Arm the Rebellion is good too and will help buff our blooms and farvhan minions if we're in green.

Pack 4, pick 4
    el3Hd5V.png
    Explanation:
    Combat Training, Unsupervised Artillery. Yuck, what even is this pack. None of these cards are playable.

Pack 4, pick 5
    oUJr3mv.png
    Explanation:
    Cunning Plan, New Orders. Pretty happy to see such a late cunning plan here.

Pack 4, pick 6
    w9y5JLU.png
    Explanation:
    Sven, Ristful Emblem. Rewarded! Sven is perfect for our deck and goes great with that accidental stonehall pike we picked up earlier.

Picks so far:
    Pack 3: Ogre Magi, Time of Triumph, Roseleaf Rejuvenator, Oglodi Vandal, Stonehall Cloak, Relentless Pursuit, Foresight, Call the Reserves, Cursed Satyr, Ventriloquy, Arcane Censure, Obliterating Orb.
    Pack 4: Friendly Fire, Oglodi Vandal, Foresight, Defensive Bloom, Arm the Rebellion, Sucker Punch, Combat Training, Unsupervised Artillery, Cunning Plan, New Orders, Sven, Ristful Emblem.

Pack 5
    Pack 5, pick 1
    RJyntqp.png
    Explanation:
    Defensive Bloom, Vhoul Martyr. Okay, the black plan is dead, we're going green. Cursed Satyr was a consideration here, but we want early game plays. Vhoul martyr is a bad creep, but it's a creep and an early play and it buffs our zero attack creeps.

Pack 5, pick 2
    NL9DbsC.png
    Explanation:
    Relentless Zombie, Vhoul Martyr. This was a tough one. So the obvious pickup is Prellex, right? Well, not really. I counted all of my red and blue cards to see if I had 25 playables in blue/red, and I do. Okay. How many creeps do I have in blue/red if I run Prellex? Four. Not good. I need to run green for the creeps I have in that color and for Farvhan's minions. I could cut Venomancer or Ogre for Prellex, but that just seems bad so I pick up the cheap creeps here.

Pack 5, pick 3
    oZPw32L.png
    Explanation:
    Defend the Weak, Defensive Stance. I already have a rookery and 2 ventriloquys. Since I'm so low on creeps, I might need to protect my heroes instead.

Pack 5, pick 4
    xxjjE93.png
    Explanation:
    Ogre corpse tosser, Stonehall Cloak. It sucks to pass on a Rumusque here, but we already have too many green cards. That's a red creep and stonehall cloak is still amazing.

Pack 5, pick 5
    N0FrnIM.png
    Explanation:
    Fight through the pain, clear the deck. Fight will probably make it into the deck for initiative plays.

Pack 5, pick 6
    ZT34NZz.png
    Explanation:
    Ogre magi, Howling Mind. Very funny, Valve.

Picks so far:
    Pack 4: Friendly Fire, Oglodi Vandal, Foresight, Defensive Bloom, Arm the Rebellion, Sucker Punch, Combat Training, Unsupervised Artillery, Cunning Plan, New Orders, Sven, Ristful Emblem.
    Pack 5: Defensive Bloom, Vhoul Martyr, Relentless Zombie, Vhoul Martyr, Defend the Weak, Defensive Stance, Ogre Corpse Tosser, Stonehall Cloak, Fight Through the Pain, Clear the Deck, Ogre Magi, Howling Mind.

Deckbuilding
    Okay, so deckbuilding. We know we're playing 2 red, 2 blue, and a green hero. So we need 25 cards in those 3 colors. Around 10 red, Around 10 blue, and 5 green. Let's add all the playable non-hero cards in those colors and see what we get.

Red cards:
    kaQ0Yra.png

Blue cards:
    UHWRMeC.png

Green cards:
    wIQxPmF.png

So, we have a problem. We have a LOT of green playables and it's also where most of our creeps are. We could honestly play 2 green heroes here and be okay. The thing is, our red and blue is so good that we don't want to do that. So we're going to cut all of our non-creep green cards and some of our creeps. 2 Vhoul Martyrs, Selemene's Favor, Defend the Weak, and Homefield advantage are out. We're going to keep double Arm the Rebellion and might even cut it down to 1.

Okay, we have 5 more cards to cut and none of them can be creeps. Goodbye both New Orders, Foresight, Ventriloquy, and Pick a Fight. This makes us a little card light on red and slightly heavier on blue and green, but that's fine and we're at 25 cards. Add our heroes in there and we get our 40.
    6Yzc5hA.png

But wait, we're not done! Normally you would flop your red and green heroes and call it a day, but look at our curve. We have NO green plays on turn 1 and a ton of blue plays at 2 and 3 mana. Because of that, we're going to flop ogre and turn the Farvhan.
    UdLzz1f.png

Next up, item deck! Always play 3 traveler's cloaks and as many stonehall cloaks as you can. Because we have Sven, we're also going to play Stonehall Pike. Add in 3 short swords, and our item deck is done. We want cheap items without having to play Leather Armors. We can't afford the Helm of the Dominator, so we leave it out. We don't need it to win, anyways.
    znFxwnB.png

And there you have it, our deck is complete! For the record, this deck actually went 3-2. I ran into a deck with 3 legion commanders that managed to get out an early Vesture of the tyrant and lost pretty hard to that. I also made a pretty significant misplay in my last game that resulted in a loss. I'm pretty confident this could have made 5 wins if I was a better Artifact player.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Dracil wrote: »

To prevent your opponent from BMing you by making you sit there for 5 minutes as the clock runs out

Speaking of timers.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DifferentIronicSpiderDoubleRainbow

So, again, is there a turn timer anywhere on the screen, or do I have to keep track myself? What is the turn timer? I keep saying 30sec but that's just a random guess!

Kinda bad UI design, you have to admit

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    45 sec per turn with a big warning that flashes on your screen at 15 sec and counts down

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    It's also the little circle around your end turn button.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, there is no way to know your turn timer unless you know the turn timer is 45sec and you also know when your turn started and keep track yourself?

Cool. That is a good thing.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The button has a giant glowing circle that depletes with your time...

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Not to mention it's pretty much never an issue. You get your 15 second warning and then you hurry up and play a card.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    What is the point of lying to me by showing me a clock that I have no way of using?

If every turn is hard capped at whatever time it is capped at (the game literally doesn't tell you) then why display a clock that says 6min or 10min or anything?

Why lie to your players? What is the function of the clock?

• Options
    Not saying I don't enjoy this game. I will probably pay more money to play more!

It's still bad UI

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    What is the point of lying to me by showing me a clock that I have no way of using?

If every turn is hard capped at whatever time it is capped at (the game literally doesn't tell you) then why display a clock that says 6min or 10min or anything?

Why lie to your players? What is the function of the clock?

You start off with 5 mins of available time.
    Whenever its your turn to act (or shop, or deploy heroes), time taken is subtracted from your available time.
    Any single action has a time limit of 45 secs, irrespective of total available time.
    After 1 full round (all 3 lanes, shopping, deployment), 2 mins are added to your total available time.

I think the times are slightly different in tournaments or something?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    So the clock is pointless because every turn is capped at 45 seconds.

Okay

• Options
    So the clock is pointless because every turn is capped at 45 seconds.

Okay

Those 45 seconds eat from the 5 minutes. So if you slow roll every turn, you'll eventually run out of that 5 minutes and lose the match. It's basically there to stop people from being obnoxious.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    Yeah the clock is there so you don't take 40 seconds each to play 5 items and 4 other cards while your opponent has nothing in the lane and can't do anything other then sit there and keep hitting the button.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    milski wrote: »
    The button has a giant glowing circle that depletes with your time...

That is useful! I will look for it my next match!

The game should, at some point, tell you about that, probably.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    In the new Magic Arena tutorial missions, if you have to take your dog for a walk in the middle of your turn, the game soft locks and you have to control alt delete it, so I guess this tutorial was still better?

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Every action may be capped to 45 seconds, but you can back and forth 5 times in a single lane and if you use up the full allotment each time you will run out of game time. That's how Reynad lost that match in the tournament.

I also literally watched a streamer today end up with 1 minute per full round because she was playing too slowly in a tournament (which has even stricter time limits) and completely ran out of time in her last match.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Both turns that I ran out of the 45sec timer were turns where I was looking at the first and second lane for targets for the assassinate I had in hand. But I thought since it said 6min or whatever on screen that once its countdown of 3 2 1 was over, my clock would start to tick or something.

And the second one was the same, but if you are looking at the first lane when it says 5, if takes about 5 seconds to look back at the third lane, scroll to pick a card, and pick a target.

But now I know how it works I can hopefully avoid those moving forward

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Hmmm...so I was able to use the market the other night, and my payment method isn't new...but Artifact is telling me I can't use the market because my payment method is new. So that's a thing.

e: I guess I had to verify my card, despite it not being new. Oh well, taken care of now.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I am SUPER grateful for both an individual action timer and a chess clock. MTGA is ridiculous with how much opponents can rope you. "Oh, I'll just take 45 seconds for every single action I take, and this game will take an hour."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Hmmm...so I was able to use the market the other night, and my payment method isn't new...but Artifact is telling me I can't use the market because my payment method is new. So that's a thing.

e: I guess I had to verify my card, despite it not being new. Oh well, taken care of now.

Any chance you got a new card with an expiry date, even though it's the same number?

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Any chance you got a new card with an expiry date, even though it's the same number?

No. I did get a new card in September, new number and all...but it's been in Steam since then. Basically it tripped when I bought packs. When I went to my account it said I had used a "new payment method to add funds", and I had to do the verification process, where Steam sticks a couple small transactions in your account that you have to give the amounts during the verification process.

Took about two minutes and my market access was restored.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular

No. I did get a new card in September, new number and all...but it's been in Steam since then. Basically it tripped when I bought packs. When I went to my account it said I had used a "new payment method to add funds", and I had to do the verification process, where Steam sticks a couple small transactions in your account that you have to give the amounts during the verification process.

Took about two minutes and my market access was restored.

Yeah. I have same problem and my bank doesn't show me those numbers, so can't purchase my Axe until tomorrow.

Then it's gonna be Red deck all day, erry day.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Kind of interesting to see Axe and Drow equalizing in price.

• Options
    The massive disparity in hero usefulness is interesting. You can tell they wanted to have some trap hero choices, but they feel almost too tiered right now. I almost think they needed to structure it as "Legendary Heroes" and "Heroes" and you only get two from one group and three from the other or something.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    It remains to be seen how the do balance I guess. Certainly there is an S tier of heroes right now, but that could change.

Going to be interesting to see how the community reacts to possibly expensive cards getting balance tweaks. Inevitably there will be people who pay for a card only to have it nerfed in a patch soon after, effectively causing it to lose value.

e: There are also going to be heroes that rise and fail based entirely on people figuring out various combos and hero setups. I'm sure there are a couple of heroes now that seem weak, or bottom tier, that someone will figure out some sick combo with and that heroes stock will rise.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Have they said whether they'll tweak cards?

I know Hex made a big deal about not tweaking. If they had to ban they had to ban, but they didn't otherwise modify cards that were on the market.

• Options
    Have they said whether they'll tweak cards?

I know Hex made a big deal about not tweaking. If they had to ban they had to ban, but they didn't otherwise modify cards that were on the market.

They've said they're going to try to treat it like a physical card game. They will ban if they have to, but they don't plan on balancing cards after release.

Their preferred method of balancing will probably be through rotations and introducing tech cards in the next sets.

• Options
    Ok. So there you go gnometank. They won't be tweaking those cards.

• Options
    Hey everyone! Here's a tournament code. Swiss style draft tournament for the thread: ATC_21793_250705630

Not sure how this works, but I hope it allows everyone to play rounds whenever they have time! We'll see how this goes.

• Options
    Wait, is this how it works? Tournament link: https://www.playartifact.com/tournament/?invitekey=9374468553760825983

• Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    Slightly invested in MtGA but kinda bored waiting for the new set. Very curious to check out Artifact but I am hearing so many varying takes on the monetization front it is hard to judge whether I should jump in or not.

I have no qualms with spending money but am curious how the money/time investment compares to MtGA. For example, there I spent $20 and 2 weeks grinding at launch to make a competitive deck worthy of going all the way in events, now that doesn't include the whole playset I eventually ended up with for the deck, at the end of the day it was probably like $50 and a month of time to gather a fully competitive playset for a single deck.

How does Artifact compare with that? For the full retail price of a AAA title, can I build a competitive deck worthy of running whatever gauntlets this game has?

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Beefers wrote: »
    How does Artifact compare with that? For the full retail price of a AAA title, can I build a competitive deck worthy of running whatever gauntlets this game has?

I just 5-1'd a gauntlet with a deck that cost me less than £3.50, if that helps at all.

The constructed meta is still being fleshed out but the tier 1 decks are more expensive than that. PC Gamer had a good summary of the current prices:
    The very first constructed tournament, WePlay! Artifact Mighty Triad: Strength, is currently underway, and the first groups have been played. In Group A, Strifecro took the win with a Blue/Green combo deck that costs $64, and Lifecoach came in second with a Red/Green ramp deck that costs $81. In Group B, Xixo won with a Red/Black Oath deck that costs $40, while StanCifka took the second place with his version of Red/Black that costs $53.

The market is still extremely volatile though so those prices are very much subject to change. The big plus to me is that it takes me no time at all to have whatever deck I want. I played a fair amount of MTGA through open beta, and felt constrained into playing mono red aggro, mono blue tempo, and some approximation of Golgari Planeswalkers, because I didn't have enough rare wildcards for a solid three colour mana base for the decks I actually wanted to play (Grixis midrange and Jeskai control). None of that here.