As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breathtaking [jobs]

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel there is an acceptable level of being high. I only feel this way after working with people at work whom would go get baked at lunch hotboxing or something

As if you are drooling and unable to keep your balance then yes this is unacceptable.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can see ... four bottles of liquor from where I'm sitting, and the fridge is stuffed with beer we've, uh, snaffled.
    But apart from the occasional friday afternoon department social, we don't tend to drink much at work - there are much nicer places to slam back a bevvy. Which is probably why the spirits have lasted this long.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    30-40 years ago trains had about 4 or 5 guys on the crew and if the newest guy didn't show up to the call with beer or some kind of drugs for everybody, they'd often send his ass to go get some before they left. Or so the old heads would have you believe. (I believe it)

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    When I first started working here I honestly couldn’t tell coworkers were high. I actually still can’t - I just know better, now. The only time I can tell is with the manager - he occasionally overdoes it to the point where he just reacts a little slower (but he still does do his job).

I have to say it seems to help with some of the organization/cleanliness. We have no janitor right now, but the employees keep the bathroom and kitchen pretty spotless.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I can see ... four bottles of liquor from where I'm sitting, and the fridge is stuffed with beer we've, uh, snaffled.
    But apart from the occasional friday afternoon department social, we don't tend to drink much at work - there are much nicer places to slam back a bevvy. Which is probably why the spirits have lasted this long.

We almost always had between 1 and 4 cases of beer in the cold room.

EHS would occasionally wander by and yell at us to move the beer out of the cold room. But like. Where else are we gonna store the beer??????

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The cold rooms on my floor have more than a few boxes of "light-sensitive cultured yeast media" lurking on the bottom shelves.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I should note that every single lab I knew of at UNC also had beer and/or liquor in their cold room(s).

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    They were labeled light sensitive so that Environmental Health And Safety would have an excuse not to look inside and become obligated to write it up.

• Options
    There's a lot of stuff about being in an academic lab that I don't miss but I really miss the little stuff like that.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    People here don't know how air conditioning/heating works. If it's set to 67/71, that doesn't mean the ac is lowering the temp to 67. It means that the heater will keep the building at at least at temperature and the ac won't let it get higher than 71.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My work has absolute zero tolerance for intoxication of any kind while at work. No alcohol or marijuana (which is legal in this country) is allowed on site. If you are discovered drunk you will be kicked off site and possibly lose your job (only because we are unionized you might keep it). Even if you arent fired you may well be banned from the "operating island" aka the actual plant.

If security discovers you are intoxicated during your entry to the plant, which means going through a level of security similar to an American airport (body scanners, xrays done on all your shit) you are fucked.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    There's a giant case of Stella and a device for attaching a beer serving tray to a Roomba sitting a few feet from my desk right now. We may be prepping for the holiday party.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    My work has absolute zero tolerance for intoxication of any kind while at work. No alcohol or marijuana (which is legal in this country) is allowed on site. If you are discovered drunk you will be kicked off site and possibly lose your job (only because we are unionized you might keep it). Even if you arent fired you may well be banned from the "operating island" aka the actual plant.

If security discovers you are intoxicated during your entry to the plant, which means going through a level of security similar to an American airport (body scanners, xrays done on all your shit) you are fucked.

I mean.

Yeah.

There are jobs where it's probably fine and yours is not one of them.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    That said, thankfully i dont work until saturday because it is definitely beer o'clock and almost 4:20

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    There's a giant case of Stella and a device for attaching a beer serving tray to a Roomba sitting a few feet from my desk right now. We may be prepping for the holiday party.

Yeah, but it's Stella....

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've definitely worked jobs where it was totally not okay to be tipsy at work. One of my coworkers in the garden center at Lowe's was generally half in the bag by midafternoon, which is not a great idea when you're operating a forklift. We always had to warn the new people to keep both eyes on him when he was driving so they could dive out of the way if necessary.

The fucked up thing is that despite my manager's best efforts, she couldn't get him fired for it because the loathsome toad in HR couldn't be bothered with the paperwork. The best we were able to manage was to get him transferred to lumber, where he was still driving forklifts on the sauce.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I think there's a no drinking policy here. It's generally followed. Kind of boring, but things are laid back enough that I don't think anyone really cares.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    As a stoner I find it morally impossible to get stoned and go to work, some people make it work, though. It does limit your upwards mobility. People know.

to me it's just a waste of weed /shrug

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I feel like it'd be real frustrating to do my job while high. It's not the most exciting thing in the world to begin with, but adding something that slows me down so much sounds absolutely exhausting.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I don't know our exact policy as i don't work in a patient facing area so it's never come up. Pretty sure it is "Don't."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    My sister company has a no-shit pub in their office. They rotate beers, ciders, and whatever else on a routine basis, but they're always fantastic.

They also have the best damn snackbar I've ever seen in a work environment.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Theres an InBev office in my town. They have taps in every conference room, and beer fridges in every break room

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I found out recently I have a distant cousin who's a brewer at Dogfish Head

he has to drink on the job

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I mean, as with drunkness, there are varying levels of being high. I know a couple of employees here use it daily as either a physical or mental health treatment, and so they’re aiming for a functional high. About equivalent to a glass of wine at a lunch meeting.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    janson how much free weed do you get now

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    A liquid lunch is a well known pastime here

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    A liquid lunch is a well known pastime here

I too eat a lot of soup in the winter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I could not imagine drinking during the workday without having 3 hours blocked out for a nap.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Hullo

Anyone here use/ used a standing desk?

We are trying to advocate for them at my place, I've never experienced one but my work pals say they're pretty good for backs. We've just had someone go on maternity leave so she won't be back for 9-12 months but she could have definitely done with one the last few weeks.

Just curious what people's experiences are!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Hullo

We are trying to advocate for them at my place, I've never experienced one but my work pals say they're pretty good for backs. We've just had someone go on maternity leave so she won't be back for 9-12 months but she could have definitely done with one the last few weeks.

We have a couple people here who have the adjustable ones where you can set it up to stand, and then when you get tired/don't feel like it, move it back to the sitting position.

Hm now that sounds good.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    I stand at a standing desk all day, with lunch as an exception. I would highly recommend a cheap mat to stand on. Otherwise desk height is important for comfort. Done right I don't think I could go back to sitting for 9 hours a day

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    My office uses adjustable standing desks. They're powered, with a little paddle on the edge to raise and lower them.

So you can stand up, raise them to the right height, and work. And then, when you need to sit, you can lower them to the right height.

They are so nice.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    janson how much free weed do you get now

I’m not Janson but the answer is “a fuckton”

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    get a treadmill desk! (don't get a treadmill desk)

We have powered and unpowered standing desks, the powered ones are definitely snazzier but frankly a bit more of a pain, the mechanism adds a lot of bulk under the desk which can be annoying when you're sitting, and you have to have enough plugs. Where the unpowered ones you just winch up and down as you need.

Work-wise, very little of today has been worth getting out of bed for, and I'm kind of wishing I hadn't bothered.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Hullo

We outfitted most of the office with the adjustable ones that go from sitting to standing height with a button. They're great, and I'm a huge fan. I try to spend at least a couple of hours standing every day, and it has helped my back pain a lot.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hullo

I had one at my last job that could be moved up or down depending. I liked it a lot and miss it a ton at my new job. It was nice to stretch out when you wanted and get the blood flowing.

One of our offices also had 2 exercise desks which were standing desks attached to exercise bikes. Those are dumb

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Regarding drinking on the job, there are certainly days I wouldn’t mind it. Today was one of those days.

We went live into production a month ahead of schedule on a new module and while it wasn’t a complete crash ‘n burn, there apparently was a large gap from between how I was told it should work and what the end customer wanted. It’s usable aside from a few strange bugs that didn’t show up in testing or things we didn’t test (stuff that I interface with but have no control over) but overall has left me feeling rather depressed. I really pride myself on nailing this stuff. Now that it’s gone into production its going to be hell to fix it as it requires specific hardware to stage for testing, and of course, that went into production as well.

Is it Friday yet?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i bought a jarvis for my home pc. wasn't actually that expensive given the desks i was looking into, i loved the aesthetic, and it has been really great.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Standing desk advice:

Get adjustable ones, the easier to adjust the better, because the times I've had to adjust or reorient desks have been all due to not feeling well. (it really sucked for back injury+shitty non-adjustable conversion kit)

Get an ergomat that's designed so that you move your stance around every so often.

enjoy being free of back pain

www.fully.com makes good ones but I have no idea about if they serve the UK.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We have the adjustable desks at work and they were great at first. Then they moved us into a place with short cubicle walls so now when loud people decide to go to standing mode their voice booms over the entire floor. It’s great in terms of that option to stretch your legs though.

This discussion has been closed.