As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    I started playing Xenoblade X again. Turns out you need to be in online mode to change your Blade Division. You can't go online anymore.

Oops

? I don't think any Wii U online game services save for Miiverse have been discontinued.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Common blades (late game spoiler):
    Given that the core that you pull straight from a titan's corpse is unique, it's probably mostly Amalthus's fault that generic blades are so common. He isn't just screwing over the world, he's screwing over the game itself.

jothki on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Schide wrote: »
    I started playing Xenoblade X again. Turns out you need to be in online mode to change your Blade Division. You can't go online anymore.

Oops

? I don't think any Wii U online game services save for Miiverse have been discontinued.

...oh that's my fault I know why online isn't working. I created a new profile so it wouldn't completely overwrite my previous save (for no good reason) and didn't bother to create a Nintendo ID with it, which you need to use the online mode. Ah well, thanks for reminding me how that worked. I was confused because the Miiverse error screen came up when I first loaded the game and I thought it didn't work at all.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Common blades:
    Given that the core that you pull straight from a titan's corpse is unique, it's probably mostly Amalthus's fault that generic blades are so common. He isn't just screwing over the world, he's screwing over the game itself.

Strongly implied, yeah. But that's also in Ch. 9 or 10 so maybe make it clear how late in the game that spoiler is.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hey I finally got Newt, the last rare blade!
    Azami is so amazing! I've beaten the game around 40 in-game hours ago, but I just can't stop filling all the affinity charts and doing all the quests I can find.
    The ending of the Nopon Shrine quest was particularly funny.
    And then I'll move on to NG+
    I just can't stop playing this.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    @Polaritie
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    The XCX artbook had something very interesting. On a picture of Mira there is a structure that looks like a second (but different) habitat unit.
    Given the fact that mims are supposed to be remotely controlled something is keeping the population of NLA "alive"/functioning.

Depending on how far you want to go with fandom speculation after XC2 you could have Alvis/Ontos having custodianship of the BLADEs/digitized minds of everyone that was stored in the Lifehold computer.

Maybe Lao was just reactivated in a new body.

Main story aside, what about about the ending to Yelv's mission line? Christ.

XC/XCX/XC2 endings
    The Ontos core would make sense if used as an explanation - it clearly has the capacity for that. But there really isn't anything to indicate the worlds have any contact (...mostly. There's Nopons, and especially the sword of legendariness, but... easily handwaved as cameo stuff - consider that both XC and XC2 have independently evolved Nopons without a common source... well, I guess there was a point of contact but I'm fairly sure it's coincidence). I don't buy Ontos=Alvis mainly because of chronology. Ontos is lost after the split, but Alvis was present for it.... well, I suppose Alvis could be a fork, much like Zamza is...

There's still other strangeness going on with Mira beyond just that. Lao washing up on a shore (yeah, a new mim could make sense, but I think the implication is that's not a mim, given the final boss sequence). No language barriers (think this actually is called out somewhere). Professor B in general. The fact that you arrive later than the ones pursuing you. Nopons.

Like, nothing with that planet makes sense at all. And the game calls a lot of it out. It demands resolution.

Actually, that leads back to my speculation for your amnesia at the start of the game - you got woken up right when the lifehold's lower sections finally gave out. I don't believe any quest ever ends up with finding any more survivors after you either (whether intended or not, and I grant I didn't 100% sidequests). Basically, anyone who had been woken up by that point has their consciousness preserved by Mira, everyone still in cold storage is lost, and you're a partial copy because of bad timing.
    Regarding Lao,
    I just looked up the ending on YouTube again, to me his eyes like a mims. I'm not really familiar with Gears/Saga, so I can't comment on whether that is a particular style of Kunihiko Tanaka or not.

Communication:
    The language thing comes up in Oblivia when you encounter the Ma-non, with dialogue between Elma and the rest of the party.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    For what it's worth Tetsuya Takahashi (writer/director for the Xenoblade/gears/saga) has stated that there is no real connection between XCX and the other XC or Xenosaga/gears games.

Apart from the Nopon, which are just the series' mascots ala Moogles.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    As some of you may or may not know, I was on the testing team for XCX. I put a LOT of time into that game. While I can't go into too many details, I can share silly little story (potential story spoilers):
    After you meet Lin, there's a line from her where she says, "I'm 13, inside and out." I can't tell you how many times that line got reported by various members of the team as something that might be considered too risque. It became a very big deal between the translation teams, internal testing people, and the higher-ups in the department. What was worse was that it was also bundled in around her character model not sharing the same costumes as the other female characters. In the Japanese release, she could wear whatever, but the NA release had her censored by wearing shorts and a tank top underneath the skimpy bikini attire.

While that wasn't surprising, it was interesting that in the end they kept the line as is. Part of the reasoning was that she was talking from a literal sense of being inside a robot body (13-year old in the robot body and out of the robot body), but more honestly was the fact that getting lines of spoken dialogue changed was a pain. Because all of the lines were done, getting them redone wasn't going to happen. Probably too costly to change or not worth it.

As expected, that line got a bunch of eyebrow raises when the game was released. While not a big deal in retrospect, it was an interesting thing to be a part of internally since so many people were involved.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hey dumb question. Is there like a Cliffnotes version on how I should handle the Season Pass content?
    Where to get Elma and Shulk etc?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Hey dumb question. Is there like a Cliffnotes version on how I should handle the Season Pass content?
    You gain access to the content by opening up the gifts in the Expansion Pass part of the pause menu.

Shulk, Fiora, and Elma are acquired in the Challenge Hall. It is right before the Olethro Playhouse in Uraya. You must be at least on chapter 4 to access it.

Shulk and Fiora are acquired immediately upon entering the challenge hall. However, you cannot take them with you to Alrest. To do that, you need to beat the challenge Dino Drama.

To get Elma, you need to beat the challenge Otherworldly Fighter. To take her with you to Alrest, you need to beat the challenge Elma: Redux.

Crosette and Corvin’s core crystals are acquired from couriers at the Argentum Trade Guild. The Poppybuster quest starts at Tora’s House at Chapter 5 or later.

Zython on
  • Options
    You gain access to the content by opening up the gifts in the Expansion Pass part of the pause menu.

Shulk, Fiora, and Elma are acquired in the Challenge Hall. It is right before the Olethro Playhouse in Uraya. You must be at least on chapter 4 to access it.

Shulk and Fiora are acquired immediately upon entering the challenge hall. However, you cannot take them with you to Alrest. To do that, you need to beat the challenge Dino Drama.

To get Elma, you need to beat the challenge Otherworldly Fighter. To take her with you to Alrest, you need to beat the challenge Elma: Redux.

Crosette and Corvin’s core crystals are acquired from couriers at the Argentum Trade Guild. The Poppybuster quest starts at Tora’s House at Chapter 5 or later.
    Those challenges are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Just do easy mode. Normal isn't worth it.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular

Just do easy mode. Normal isn't worth it.

Uh...any prep work? I recall I was able to beat after a LOT of retries
    Mk. VII Arek which was VERY VERY annoying and I could never say I had him on farm.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

Dino Drama's Ok. You just have to figure out the kill priority. Elma: Redux is a fucking train wreck, however.

Oh! If you're having trouble with them, you can do them on easy mode and still get credit.

• Options

Dino Drama's Ok. You just have to figure out the kill priority. Elma: Redux is a fucking train wreck, however.

Oh! If you're having trouble with them, you can do them on easy mode and still get credit.
    The problem I ran into with Dino Drama is just not being able to kill the main enemy. I got past all the adds safely and then spent half an hour and it still had like half HP...

Granted, only Tora was staying alive well because AI positioning is dumb (and I took manual control of Tora because he's basically immortal that way).

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've returned to XC2 after ~5 months of setting it aside to play other things

I...what am I doing? I don't understand anything anymore, how do you play this again?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Eventually? Equip Mythra and mash buttons.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I've returned to XC2 after ~5 months of setting it aside to play other things

I...what am I doing? I don't understand anything anymore, how do you play this again?

You spend a half hour or so sending Ursula out on missions, then put the game down for another few months.

• Options
    Stop hating Britney!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So I started this a few days ago. Like 11 hours in

*shulk voice* I'm not really feeling it!

First couple hours were enjoyable, but the party isn't really doing it for me. Rex is a dorkus and Tora is annoying. Nia's okay.

And is it just me or does the character design just get worse with every xenoblade game?

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    I think there's quite a few really cool designs actually. The main issue is they went with a more generic anime style rather than something more stylised.

But there's a lot of cool blades and only a few poor ones. Morag's design is great as well.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Started playing, any reason to buy the season pass stuff before i finish the game? Is there anything that fills out the game while you're playing the initial pass?

Possible to force saves? Got to the first big titan thing and the first city, started to beat stuff up in the fields because there was so much but everytime something big would come along and just smoosh me and I'd have to start all over again. Fuckin' sand giants!

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    The season pass gives you a lot of items like legendary cores when you purchase it and unlocks extra side quests you can start as early as Chapter 4 or 5, I think? There are extra quests scattered throughout the entire game.

I would say make sure you are enjoying the game enough that the season pass is worth the value to you and then go for it. If you pick it up later you will have out leveled some of the quests but you can easily go back and start them any time.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    I really liked the pass, because there's some nice exclusive rare blades, a lot of good extra materials and some amazing quests.

You're still waaaaaaaay at the beginning, though, the game barely started. I'd press on with the story to get more combat systems and party members, you didn't really see much of anything yet.

I don't understand what you mean by forcing saves (maybe you meant sales), but the pass is far from being just post-game content.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Started playing, any reason to buy the season pass stuff before i finish the game? Is there anything that fills out the game while you're playing the initial pass?

Possible to force saves? Got to the first big titan thing and the first city, started to beat stuff up in the fields because there was so much but everytime something big would come along and just smoosh me and I'd have to start all over again. Fuckin' sand giants!

AFAIK, you can only save manually through the menu. That said, having awareness of your surroundings is a necessary skill for all Xenoblade games. Areas are mostly divided into enemy level ranges, but there's almost always a super monster or two that moves in a set pattern you need to be aware of. That's why, in most cases, zones are large with decent draw distances - it gives the player a good chance to see these monsters before they stumble upon them.

If you do see one (like the big ape outside Gormott) wait and see what it does. Monsters like that don't just stay in one spot.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

Ah. You don't lose anything for getting killed, you just get kicked back to the last landmark you passed.

• Options
    - button brings up manual save as well as change time of day options

Also there's no actual penalty for dying so don't worry about it

sig.gif
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I think there's quite a few really cool designs actually. The main issue is they went with a more generic anime style rather than something more stylised.

But there's a lot of cool blades and only a few poor ones. Morag's design is great as well.

This, plus in terms of characterization and plot, this is the shonen game of the Xeno series.

• Options
    Just pulled Ursula

Can you only ever get a blade of the elements matching your highest idea value(s)? Just wondering what happens if the only rare blades left are in a idea category lower than the driver's max, presumably it would be impossible to get any without a booster?

My strategy mainly revolves around pumping Rex's luck as high as possible so I always just open cores on him and then transfer them if they are appropriate rares.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Just pulled Ursula

Can you only ever get a blade of the elements matching your highest idea value(s)? Just wondering what happens if the only rare blades left are in a idea category lower than the driver's max, presumably it would be impossible to get any without a booster?

My strategy mainly revolves around pumping Rex's luck as high as possible so I always just open cores on him and then transfer them if they are appropriate rares.

No, I'd have to double check the formula but you can definitely get blades of other elements (it... might only be commons that way? I need to double check).

I used Morag for luck stick because she had a bunch of common blades already with luck mods.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Just pulled Ursula

No, I'd have to double check the formula but you can definitely get blades of other elements (it... might only be commons that way? I need to double check).

I used Morag for luck stick because she had a bunch of common blades already with luck mods.

Idea values just weight the pull.

Game checks for rares before it determines element.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Just pulled Ursula

Idea values just weight the pull.

Game checks for rares before it determines element.

So, more specifically: Blades matching the highest idea value (or the type you used a booster of, which overrides it) get a multiplier to their odds based on the value. All other blades get no bonus. As long as you use at least 1 booster matching the blade it's got a bonus though.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Opening a core will autosave your game but first you have to get to that point in the game.
    Always be opening cores.

• Options
    ugh my game crashed and I lost ~2 hours of progress

sig.gif
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    So I started this a few days ago. Like 11 hours in

*shulk voice* I'm not really feeling it!

First couple hours were enjoyable, but the party isn't really doing it for me. Rex is a dorkus and Tora is annoying. Nia's okay.

And is it just me or does the character design just get worse with every xenoblade game?

The party deffo gets better once you acquire more grown-ups.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I got a physical copy of Torna, which comes with a DLC code "to receive pack 1-4 of the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Expansion Pass". So I assume everything except Torna. Either way, as I don't plan on getting the main game (JRPGs just being too long for me) if anyone wants it just PM me.

(I know there's a way on these forums to leave a claimable code, but I'm not sure how to do that...)

EDIT: claimed.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    i beat the game forever ago but i saw people in here talking about ursula and now i must EXTOL THE VIRTUES OF BEST GIRL URSULA

how do you feel about not needing to run a dedicated healer anymore

how do you feel about getting to run a tank and two DPS instead

how do you feel about healing your entire fucking party for 40% every ~2-3 fucking seconds

all of this at the expense of virtually nothing

SOUNDS GOOD? URSULA.

URSULA.

best healer in the game bar none don't fuckin' @ me u kno i'm rite i'll fite u on the streets

(i got really lucky and got her super early and started doing all that annoying garbage mission shit but holy shit it pays off)

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    i beat the game forever ago but i saw people in here talking about ursula and now i must EXTOL THE VIRTUES OF BEST GIRL URSULA

how do you feel about not needing to run a dedicated healer anymore

how do you feel about getting to run a tank and two DPS instead

how do you feel about healing your entire fucking party for 40% every ~2-3 fucking seconds

all of this at the expense of virtually nothing

SOUNDS GOOD? URSULA.

URSULA.

best healer in the game bar none don't fuckin' @ me u kno i'm rite i'll fite u on the streets

(i got really lucky and got her super early and started doing all that annoying garbage mission shit but holy shit it pays off)

Mythra heals are legit late game... if the AI oicks them up.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Jesus, this story is maddening. I want someone to step on Rex's throat and put him out of my misery.

edit: oh fuck I like Mythra already, slug Rex! Hit him!

Nosf on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I like Rex :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!