As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Voidship & God Eater 3 out today!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I know I had a couple of those WORLDS OF POWER books at one point. I'd find them from used book stores when going with my parents. I don't know if they got donated in one of the culls or not. But they were something else.

I'm positive that Blaster Master was one of them.

I got the Blaster Master one through Books By Mail when I was a kid and it blew my tiny mind. I did not have a Nintendo.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Hey was blaster master good or was it just neat

It was, and still is good, in fact there was a remake that came early on in the switch lifespan and it’s every bit as fun as the original.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Kids these days are huge nerds.

Finally I have material for a "back in my day" story.

Back in my day the video game companion novels we read were for games that actually had a story to begin with!

this was as close as my parents would let me get to owning a nintendo

these books were so fucking good:
    MXhmOXy.jpg
    k7lagVa.jpg
    CGPdYdO.jpg

lord, give me the courage to name my daughter Johnny "Jimbo" McGibbits

The bad guy is a fucking LITTERBUG?! These books are dark!

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    35201.jpg
    is based on a CGA-era game, and at one point the character "saw the portal in front of him, changing colours between white, magenta, cyan, and black". Just for complete authenticity.

This makes me happier than I know how to say

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    And of course it's written by Alan Dean Foster

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Alan Dean Foster also wrote the adaptation of The Dig, if I remember right

I read that book multiple times!

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »

Funnily enough, I read that abouuuut...two years ago? I watched Day9 and friends play through the Dig and one of them mentioned that the novelization fills in story stuff for the aliens which was cut short in-game due to budget reasons. Maybe even based on the original story outline, I'm not entirely sure. AND I NEEDED TO KNOW!
    It was completely serviceable!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

Funnily enough, I read that abouuuut...two years ago? I watched Day9 and friends play through the Dig and one of them mentioned that the novelization fills in story stuff for the aliens which was cut short in-game due to budget reasons. Maybe even based on the original story outline, I'm not entirely sure. AND I NEEDED TO KNOW!
    It was completely serviceable!

Much like the game! Maybe even better than the game because it didn't have the fucking turtle puzzle that drove me and my family nuts.

• Options
    It wasn't LucasArts' best, that's for sure. Although the lens-fiddling annoyed me more than the turtle. Still, I played that game at least twice, which is something I can't say about Escape from Monkey Island!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    What game is that

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Ah, looks like the Tales of Vesperia remaster.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oofa doofa

That's fucking rough

I understand that recording new voice for every scene is a lot, but at some point that's what you've signed up for

• Options
    On one hand that's terribly awkward and jarring

but on the other, it would be really funny to me if the voices were SO disparate that it just went into ridiculousness.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    There's a Tales of Vesperia remaster?! :biggrin:

...and it's stupid?! :bigfrown:

• Options
    It sounds like overall it's pretty good aside from the voice acting stuff. Though maybe the game hasn't aged terribly well either?

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    35201.jpg
    is based on a CGA-era game, and at one point the character "saw the portal in front of him, changing colours between white, magenta, cyan, and black". Just for complete authenticity.

I actually own the book, so I hunted out the quote I was thinking of, and in the interests of honesty, here's what it actually says:

t3FGvjd.jpg

Weird thing: the game itself is an Apple II game so CGA doesn't apply, even though those are pretty definitely CGA colors.

Weird thing 2: that may not have mattered at all -- from an interview with him about the books:
    Note: Alan Dean Foster did not play Shadowkeep nor The Dig when he novelized them. "To this date, I've never played them." He says. While with The Dig he had the original story to build on, in the case of Shadowkeep his knowledge of computer science enabled him to write the novel by simply looking at the code!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It wasn't LucasArts' best, that's for sure. Although the lens-fiddling annoyed me more than the turtle. Still, I played that game at least twice, which is something I can't say about Escape from Monkey Island!

That fucking turtle had me stuck for months.

I remember being on vacation and seeing the strategy guide in a bookstore and I stood in the aisle staring at the page explaining how to solve that puzzle, trying to commit it to memory.

When I replayed the game last year, I remembered that the correct solution doesn't look like it should be correct, and it still took me a couple of tries.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    in the case of Shadowkeep his knowledge of computer science enabled him to write the novel by simply looking at the code!

Alan Dean Foster is hardcore

Or Cypher from the Matrix. Take your pick.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

Jan 10 - Aftercharge

AFTERCHARGE is a 3 vs 3 competitive game pitting invisible robots against an invincible security squad in high-octane tactical skirmishes. The robots must sneak around to destroy all the energy extractors on the site while the guards are tasked to spot the attackers and stop them.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/492760/Aftercharge/

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Wrapped up Spirits of Xanadu

That was really cool! It's a minimalist, boiled down, first person...story? Shooter? It draws from System Shock, but I wouldn't want to compare it, because it's not an immersive sim. It's got different endings, even! There are some good, juicy bits of writing in there as well.

One thing that bugs me, and you guys can probably help me with: in a secret room, there's a music box, and I could swear that it's music from Game of Thrones, but I can't place the theme. I captured a vid and uploaded the audio here:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1iMcWrr3698

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Aftercharge sounds exactly like the kind of off beat multiplayer game that I love and buy and get into but has no player base and dies in a month.

I don’t want to be hurt again...

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

This looks hilariously fun. Based on the trailer, there are single and multiplayer game modes?

• Options
    Yeah it's got a single player story and a local multiplayer mode as well.

• Options

Catherine is a sexy sheep anime psychological puzzle game - that's coming out today?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Hi all, just a reminder that today, tomorrow and Saturday at 4 pm PST I'll be holding Friday Night Gaming sessions for an hour each (possible to go longer since I have the free time).

Friday Night Gaming Steam Group--we'll gather in the group chat there as time approaches.

Games this Week (as according to the poll)
    Magicka 1/Magicka 2
    Terraria
    Castle Crasher
    Torchlight 2
    Monaco

F2P Options:
    Warframe
    SCP: Secret Labratory

Games are subject to whims of players who show up and nothing is set in stone.

I hope to continue this through my school semester, but I'll see. Classes come first after all.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

That was really cool! It's a minimalist, boiled down, first person...story? Shooter? It draws from System Shock, but I wouldn't want to compare it, because it's not an immersive sim. It's got different endings, even! There are some good, juicy bits of writing in there as well.

One thing that bugs me, and you guys can probably help me with: in a secret room, there's a music box, and I could swear that it's music from Game of Thrones, but I can't place the theme. I captured a vid and uploaded the audio here:

Sorry, I can't quite place that music right now. I recognize it, but can't recall the name. It's way older than Game of Thrones though - like, big band era.

It's been in about a million movies or episodes of TV.

Ketar on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I soured a bit on Catherine in hindsight (if you played it, you can probably guess why), but it's otherwise a pretty well-regarded game

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Aftercharge sounds exactly like the kind of off beat multiplayer game that I love and buy and get into but has no player base and dies in a month.

I don’t want to be hurt again...

If you have an Xbox, it’s also on Game Pass (unfortunately, doesn’t look like it counts for Play Anywhere).

I had read an article about some other multiplayer indie game that launched on game pass, and they cited exactly your concern as the reason they did: Lots of people have Game Pass, so if they launched there, they’d have a ready-made player base.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Sorry, I can't quite place that music right now. I recognize it, but can't recall the name. It's way older than Game of Thrones though - like, big band era.

It's been in about a million movies or episodes of TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TB_8H23EDI

Sounds like moonlight serenade, written by Glenn Miller

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I should be able to wrap up West of Loathing today. Its short but thats ok! I haven't played a game to completion in awhile so I wanted to do that. My Cow Puncher is gonna punch a necromancer real hard.

Then I'll finish Hunie Pop which I got like half way through in two days.

With those easy to beat games notched onto my belt I'll move onto a different challenge. Maybe I'll finally finish Valkyria Chronicles (i'm like 3/4th of the way) and then move on to something else before getting lost in school work/new wow raid/new Diablo 3 season/roguelikes cycle again

• Options
    I don't know how to feel about Catherine on Steam being the "old" version, when the enhanced one with a new character, story etc drops in a month

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    It's a Very Atlus move

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I should be able to wrap up West of Loathing today. Its short but thats ok! I haven't played a game to completion in awhile so I wanted to do that. My Cow Puncher is gonna punch a necromancer real hard.

How many spittoons have you searched??

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I don't know how to feel about Catherine on Steam being the "old" version, when the enhanced one with a new character, story etc drops in a month

And I guess the new content isn't announced for PC at all.
    It's a Very Atlus move

I'd just call it a Japanese move.

• Options
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    For all my bitching about the Epic Launcher it is totally worth picking up their free games, especially Edith Finch cause the a lot of people would scoff at the ~2 hours playtime to $10+ price tag.

This discussion has been closed.