As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I genuinely really love the kid actor they got for Picard. He's flawless in tone and look, and he's actually a pretty solid child actor? Really makes this episode shine.

He's the actor who played his nephew in Family. Kind of a nice touch.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I genuinely really love the kid actor they got for Picard. He's flawless in tone and look, and he's actually a pretty solid child actor? Really makes this episode shine.

yeah I noticed that during this rewatch! it was kinda neat to see the actor several years older an even better

also I just hit the episode where Picard gets all romantic with the new head of Stellar Cartography and I genuinely forgot how intense this episode is.

• Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular

Wasn't Young Guinan also Young Deloris in Sister Act?

0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    klemming wrote: »
    Rewatching Voyager (don't fucking judge me):
    Chakotay wrote:
    You were working for her, Seska was working for them — was anyone on that damn ship working for me?
    I feel like this was a missed opportunity to have a member of Chakotay's crew turn out to be a traitor once per season.
    And in the final season, it turns out that Chakotay has been a Changeling the entire time.

People should always remind themselves of Voyager or else revisionist history might claim it's good, like the Star Wars prequels or The Last Jedi. Anyways....

YES, on Chakotay. He's a loser in all incarnations. I am in season 5 and hit an episode called Course: Oblivion. It was a sequel of sorts to Demon Planet where you find out the Voyager and her crew are the duplicates who didn't realize they were duplicates and started to head to the Alpha Quadrant (for....reasons...) and starting to degrade (for.... reasons....). Duplicate Chakotay FINALLY WINS AN ARGUMENT with duplicate Janeway in convincing her to return to the Demon Planet to try and save the crew....and promptly dies. Even duplicate Chakotay can never get one up on Janeway.

The crew then slowly dies off until the ship and the crew dissolve into bubbles and die just as the real Voyager comes across them moments too late. Voyager has no idea who they were or what happened and shrugs, makes a note on the log, and goes on their way.

It was a weird episode because everything the duplicates do fails, even leaving a time capsule so the memory of them is not lost. It's destroyed, they disappear, and no one knows. It's like someone said "Yeah, remember the duplicates from Demon? Fuck them and their writer in particular,"

It's weird.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Chakotay wrote:
    You were working for her, Seska was working for them — was anyone on that damn ship working for me?
    I feel like this was a missed opportunity to have a member of Chakotay's crew turn out to be a traitor once per season.
    And in the final season, it turns out that Chakotay has been a Changeling the entire time.

People should always remind themselves of Voyager or else revisionist history might claim it's good, like the Star Wars prequels or The Last Jedi. Anyways....

YES, on Chakotay. He's a loser in all incarnations. I am in season 5 and hit an episode called Course: Oblivion. It was a sequel of sorts to Demon Planet where you find out the Voyager and her crew are the duplicates who didn't realize they were duplicates and started to head to the Alpha Quadrant (for....reasons...) and starting to degrade (for.... reasons....). Duplicate Chakotay FINALLY WINS AN ARGUMENT with duplicate Janeway in convincing her to return to the Demon Planet to try and save the crew....and promptly dies. Even duplicate Chakotay can never get one up on Janeway.

The crew then slowly dies off until the ship and the crew dissolve into bubbles and die just as the real Voyager comes across them moments too late. Voyager has no idea who they were or what happened and shrugs, makes a note on the log, and goes on their way.

It was a weird episode because everything the duplicates do fails, even leaving a time capsule so the memory of them is not lost. It's destroyed, they disappear, and no one knows. It's like someone said "Yeah, remember the duplicates from Demon? Fuck them and their writer in particular,"

It's weird.

SG-1 had something like that. Spoilers.
    The team got duplicated as androids by a crazy android guy who wanted company. Hijinks ensue and eventually the real team and the android team meet up and it is decided that the androids will go back to the other planet and not cause trouble.
    The followup episode opens with the androids having decided to fab up some US military hardware and heading out to do the SG-1 thing and kick snake butt. Bad things happen and they call in the original SG-1 team for help. Mortality ensues, but at the end of the day they all go down fighting and take out a System Lord or at least free some random planet.

Generally a similar story, but with better characters (two Teal'c's good, two anyone on Voyager bad) and far more respect for the situation when they revisited the story. Like most things on Voyager, a different show did X and usually did it better.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    That episode felt like they suddenly wanted to do a Twilight Zone episode all of a sudden.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Chakotay wrote:

It's weird.

It's dark but it's not weird. The way the whole episode ends is good and one of the obvious ways to go with the premise.

But yeah, as above, very Twilight Zone.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    It's dark but it's not weird. The way the whole episode ends is good and one of the obvious ways to go with the premise.

You're right, I shouldn't have used weird. It's a normal way for that story to go. Even had a dark ending.

I initially went with weird because, at the end of the episode, it didn't matter. It was a group of aliens that, for some inexplicable reason, forgot they were aliens and then went on to be better Starfleet officers than the real Voyager (faux Janeway did not force her way onto a planet that would save her crew).

That's not weird, it's a standard sci-fi trope really, it's just an episode that was so divorced from everything else that you could miss it and it wouldn't matter.

• Options

You're right, I shouldn't have used weird. It's a normal way for that story to go. Even had a dark ending.

I initially went with weird because, at the end of the episode, it didn't matter. It was a group of aliens that, for some inexplicable reason, forgot they were aliens and then went on to be better Starfleet officers than the real Voyager (faux Janeway did not force her way onto a planet that would save her crew).

That's not weird, it's a standard sci-fi trope really, it's just an episode that was so divorced from everything else that you could miss it and it wouldn't matter.

That's 90% of episodes from a show like Voyager. Same as with TNG.

Voyager had some great ones like that too. See - Living Witness.

• Options

What's weird is that the duplicates and the originals don't meet up, which is what usually happens in these episodes and where a lot of the tension and emotional conflict comes from. The episode with the two Rikers and the one with the planet full of Defiant descendants (who are close enough to duplicates personality and plot wise) bring that tension and the resolutions of those episodes leave everyone changed. Voyager has a situation where the writers could explore the Doctor dealing with a version of himself who is facing death or a Chakotay seeing how the crew is reacting to his death and they just decided not to go there.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

What's weird is that the duplicates and the originals don't meet up, which is what usually happens in these episodes and where a lot of the tension and emotional conflict comes from. The episode with the two Rikers and the one with the planet full of Defiant descendants (who are close enough to duplicates personality and plot wise) bring that tension and the resolutions of those episodes leave everyone changed. Voyager has a situation where the writers could explore the Doctor dealing with a version of himself who is facing death or a Chakotay seeing how the crew is reacting to his death and they just decided not to go there.

They decided to go somewhere else, which was unusually dark for them. The Demon Planet episode went the 'expected' way; copies are made of the cast, are these copies sentient, don't they have a right to live as much as the main characters, find some way for both sides to get what they want without murdering each other. So far, so Star Trek.

And this one just took the usual story beats and twisted them. They try the long-odds solution and it goes wrong every time. Copy Janeway wants to keep going in the hope that something turns up, it doesn't. They try to make a record of who they were so that someone will know about them after they're gone, it's destroyed. A last minute light at the end of the tunnel needs them to take an absurd risk to reach it, and it destroys them.

• Options

They decided to go somewhere else, which was unusually dark for them. The Demon Planet episode went the 'expected' way; copies are made of the cast, are these copies sentient, don't they have a right to live as much as the main characters, find some way for both sides to get what they want without murdering each other. So far, so Star Trek.

And this one just took the usual story beats and twisted them. They try the long-odds solution and it goes wrong every time. Copy Janeway wants to keep going in the hope that something turns up, it doesn't. They try to make a record of who they were so that someone will know about them after they're gone, it's destroyed. A last minute light at the end of the tunnel needs them to take an absurd risk to reach it, and it destroys them.

They could put the actual Voyager crew in the mix and still have the same beats and twists. A resolution of everyone dies and nobody notices is just kind of a wasted opportunity.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    They kind of did? ("Timeless", and that other ep I don't have handy where the ship gets duplicated and then one is destroyed.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    They kind of did? ("Timeless", and that other ep I don't have handy where the ship gets duplicated and then one is destroyed.)

Different setup though, that's the atone for past sins plot in that one. Though it's funny that Janeway still didn't promote Kim after that.

• Options
    I think my issue with Oblivion boils down to they did a lot of crazy "Just trust me"'s with the story (duplicates forget they're duplicates, they're somehow able to stand normal atmosphere when it was suffocating them before, etc) to get them to the point of the episode (all the longshot solutions fail, they die), which is irritating in and of itself, but since we also find out they're duplicates so early in the episode and the real crew never even knows they exist, it feels useless.

Yes, I get it, TNG and Voyager had numerous bottle episodes that could be skipped easily, but as we know early on these aren't our Voyager crew members, it quickly changes to a "Who cares" while watching.

Armchair Biz thinks it would've been better had you not found out until near the end that they were duplicates.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm still disappointed that Equinox killed the 2 more badass sounding characters in all of Star Trek. The Equinox was also an objectively better design than Voyager. I would have watched an entire series with that ship. It would have at least been more interesting than DISCO.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm still disappointed that Equinox killed the 2 more badass sounding characters in all of Star Trek. The Equinox was also an objectively better design than Voyager. I would have watched an entire series with that ship. It would have at least been more interesting than DISCO.

The Nova-class ships were one of the designs considered for the Defiant.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Minor Discovery S2 spoilers
    "The latest spinoff is set to focus on a continuation of Yeoh’s Discovery Season 2 adventures in Starfleet’s Section 31 division."

Yes, just what Star Trek needs: a show focusing on the ethically dubious exploits of a bigoted, genocidal people eater. I can't wait!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

They could put the actual Voyager crew in the mix and still have the same beats and twists. A resolution of everyone dies and nobody notices is just kind of a wasted opportunity.

No it's not. It's just a different take. You can't have the same beats and twists with the original crew in the mix because what pulls it all together is the ultimate futility of the whole thing. It's a tragedy.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love Michelle Yeoh, but a villain protagonist show sounds kind of...boring? Like, it'll go one of two ways. Either she (continues) playing an unfeeling monster or she gets conflicted and maybe turns less evil. That gets old fast.

That said, it's a pleasant surprise that CBS is paying attention to the franchise now. I just can't figure out what the spark was. The first Kelvin movie came out 9 years before Discovery, and Beyond flopped. CBS ignored the 50th Anniversary entirely. Yet here we are, with more activity than we've seen in 20 years.

Pipe dream for the Picard show:
    Picard is the Federation President dealing with the fallout of Romulus. It's the West Wing in space. The ensemble is split between the Presidential staff, a Starfleet ship, and some "street level" characters like merchants, pirates, and colonists. TNG-era alums show up as recurring characters- i.e., Riker is an admiral, Kira is Kai, etc. Tell stories Trek hasn't seen before, like following a world from first contact all the way to Federation membership.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    A Section 31 show or an Empress show might be good, but the two of them together is guaranteed to be bad.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Yeah, I love Michelle Yeoh, but a villain protagonist show sounds kind of...boring? Like, it'll go one of two ways. Either she (continues) playing an unfeeling monster or she gets conflicted and maybe turns less evil. That gets old fast.

That said, it's a pleasant surprise that CBS is paying attention to the franchise now. I just can't figure out what the spark was. The first Kelvin movie came out 9 years before Discovery, and Beyond flopped. CBS ignored the 50th Anniversary entirely. Yet here we are, with more activity than we've seen in 20 years.

They have a streaming service they need to promote and not a lot of properties to promote it with.
    Pipe dream for the Picard show:
    Picard is the Federation President dealing with the fallout of Romulus. It's the West Wing in space. The ensemble is split between the Presidential staff, a Starfleet ship, and some "street level" characters like merchants, pirates, and colonists. TNG-era alums show up as recurring characters- i.e., Riker is an admiral, Kira is Kai, etc. Tell stories Trek hasn't seen before, like following a world from first contact all the way to Federation membership.
    I figure it'll be something more akin to Picard being the Federation Ambassador to whatever state came out of the Romulan Empire (or possibly during the fall. Did original flavor Spock ever say what year he was from?). I agree it'll be something that'll let them parade a bunch of former characters on screen in cameos and recurring roles.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I figure it'll be something more akin to Picard being the Federation Ambassador to whatever state came out of the Romulan Empire (or possibly during the fall. Did original flavor Spock ever say what year he was from?). I agree it'll be something that'll let them parade a bunch of former characters on screen in cameos and recurring roles.
    Prime Spock came from 2387. Interesting side note, the books have been lingering in 2386 for almost 4 years now, and I'm real curious about how they approach it.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I always figured Picard would be the first human prime minister of a newly democratic Qo'noS.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    DS9: here's an old Jake flashback show about Sisko dying or something

Me: Thanks I hate it

• Options
    Oh my God this was just an excuse to put age makeup on everyone

Zzz

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

my husband and i dislike that episode for different reasons. i dislike it because i think it's boring, my husband dislikes it because he saw Candyman when he was like 8 and has a lifelong gripping fear of Tony Todd.

which is a shame because he's a delight and is just all over this franchise

• Options
    My husband thinks episodes without Quark suck and I kinda agree

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    quark is like salt. he just adds so much to an episode, even if he's barely there, that you really notice when he's gone.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Okay next episode immediately better

Worf just fucking cannot with how much leeway Quark gets and Bashir is in a dramatic situation with some defecting Jem Hadar

So It Goes on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I have a couple friends for whom the Old Jake episode was super powerful and significant to them and their relationships with their dads

but otherwise yeah I can see how it's not that engaging for most folks

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Man OBrien really effed that up
    Coulda really had an in with the Jem Hadar

Worf is learning some shit about station life, so cute

So It Goes on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Wait, was this The Visitor?

You didn't like The Visitor? I think this is the first time I've not seen gushing praise for it. Everyone cries watching it!

• Options
    It has an extra element of horror when you consider that Jakes original timeline apparently didn't have a interstellar war that killed billions of people.
    But that's worthwhile trade so that a main character is happy.

It's another case of altering the timeline is a horrible thing to do unless you're a main character.

• Options

No it's not. It's just a different take. You can't have the same beats and twists with the original crew in the mix because what pulls it all together is the ultimate futility of the whole thing. It's a tragedy.

You can have the original crew struggling to help get the duplicate Voyager back to the Demon Planet and ultimately fail to do so. They struggle, they fail, they get to see how their duplicates face their deaths. It's still a tragedy, but it's not a pointless one. If they cared about evolving the characters they could use it to go dark with the crew deciding to make it home no matter the cost, or more upbeat with a review of the other ship's logs and a promise to share their story while upholding the ideals the duplicates showed while they were off running around doing things.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It has an extra element of horror when you consider that Jakes original timeline apparently didn't have a interstellar war that killed billions of people.
    You really shouldn't consider that

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Nah, a Crazy Starfleet Admiral* mandates that at the beginning of each deep space mission the Captain announces their intent.

*Most of them

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

They are transmissions of Historical Documents.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

They are transmissions of Historical Documents.

By Grabthar's Hammer, what a post.

This discussion has been closed.