As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Voidship & God Eater 3 out today!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    I don't know if you all have heard but System Shock 2 is pretty good.

What branch of the military did you choose?

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Navy. Tech guy seemed like it would be handy on a space ship.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I also ran navy

I recommend focussing on standard weapons. The pistol is a great workhorse and when you get the assault rifle, that's the gun you use for the rest of the game

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm fairly far into the game(?). I just reached the recreational deck. Just maxed out my hacking and am going to max out standard weapons next. Found a fancy perfect condition assault rifle in a vault so I'm ready to go.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    As probably the last person in this forum to even watch Witcher footage, I was taken aback by Geralt’s voice in the MH trailer. I always imagined it would be... some sort of European accent.

I don’t like it.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Apparently Capcom were afraid of it being datamined, so no demo for PC.

In the extremely unlikely event that I ever get put in charge of making a major videogame, I don't care how much extra time and expense it is, all the cut content/unused data is getting zeroed out and replaced with the repeated phrase "Piss off you nosy little bastards".

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    As probably the last person in this forum to even watch Witcher footage, I was taken aback by Geralt’s voice in the MH trailer. I always imagined it would be... some sort of European accent.

I don’t like it.
    A lot of people in The Witcher have American accents

I like it

Everyone in fantasy lands being Fantasy British or French is boring, I appreciate when it is a medley of accents

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

In the extremely unlikely event that I ever get put in charge of making a major videogame, I don't care how much extra time and expense it is, all the cut content/unused data is getting zeroed out and replaced with the repeated phrase "Piss off you nosy little bastards".

There's also the advanced option of intentionally putting in fake stuff to mess with dataminers.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Any cut/unfinished stuff left in the game code is usually due to it being worked on for long enough before being scrapped that its folded into the rest of the code and removing it while ensuring that everything else works would be a lot of work that is better spent on fixing bugs that are actually present without changing any of the existing content.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    rHFRc44.jpg

I am quite skilled at cultist simulator, why do you ask

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I played some Thronebreaker. I don't think I like it. It seems like it's a puzzle game, and I just want to play some Gwent ass Gwent.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq3oqWa-k50
    hey can we all agree that the menu music in FF15 is incredibly rad

I could just chill out to this FOREVER?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    SLyM wrote: »
    I am somewhat intrigued by god eater 3. I really enjoyed monster hunter and adding more rpg to that could be fun. I'm not usually a huge fan of anime stories, and it seems like it has a very anime story.
    on the other hand, I tend to like anime tiddy, and it seems to also have that in spades
    has anyone played it and have a recommendation?

So I’ve only played the first two, but in the small mon-hun clone subgenre they are probably the best. The plot is maximum anime stupid, but there is actually a continuous plot and the RPG elements are well done. Combat is also pretty good. There’s less weapon options than MH but there’s a lot of customisation elsewhere. The monster designs are kinda neat and really unlike anything in monster hunter itself.

You mentioned there being a continuous plot, do I have to play the previous two games to understand what is going on?

The plot is that the world ended, gods are bad and hungry, and you have a magic bracelet which lets you eat gods and also carry person-sized weapons. It's Monster Hunter with a party. And, incredibly, nobody has mentioned how you can design your own bullets. Make them curve around to your heart's content! Make them split apart! Make them heal bullets and then shoot your friends with them.

To be a little less flippant about the lore; basically the planet Earth has had enough of humanity and wants to start the whole world over again. To do this it creates monsters called Aragami out of nanomachines called Oracle Cells. Oracle Cells can devour anything, and Gaia's endgame is a grey-goo scenario where all life gets devoured and remade. Humanity fights back by injecting children with Oracle Cells to create supersoldiers and arming then with artificial weapon-shaped Aragami called God-Arcs.

Oh man but i wanted to join Gaia's side instead

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Huzzah!

So earlier today I picked up Diablo 1 and Fallout 1 for five bucks a pop at Half Price Books. Despite it not working on my work PC for reasons I now have, in the year of our lord 2019, a working Diablo 1 install that can play in a window and up to 1920x1440 resolution.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

they're losing money because people are becoming disenfranchised with what was traditionally one of their best money-makers(hearthstone) and people did not spend nearly enough on a title they just got ripped away from them(destiny)

so they're gonna fire people and try and centralize their business

that'll show em! (em being their investors I guess?)

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

they're losing money because people are becoming disenfranchised with what was traditionally one of their best money-makers(hearthstone) and people did not spend nearly enough on a title they just got ripped away from them(destiny)

They're probably not even losing money; they're just not making as much as they predicted.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mr. G wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq3oqWa-k50
    hey can we all agree that the menu music in FF15 is incredibly rad

I could just chill out to this FOREVER?

The Main Menu theme is also extremely good, here's the distant worlds version
    edit: whoops, looks like that video is full of spoilers lol, here's the regular version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBRBXe7Qro

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Had a fun FNG playing Dead By Daylight tonight though the numbers was sadly a little lacking. Still, Pimsy, Ghlinn and I did an admirable job fixing up generators and eluding the killer--Ghlinn even managed to survive once! :biggrin:

Reminder that tomorrow night is Long Campaign of Division continued and Sunday is Astroneer.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

They're probably not even losing money; they're just not making as much as they predicted.

Article says they have a 2% drop on sales.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Veagle wrote: »

Article says they have a 2% drop on sales.

Right, but that doesn't tell us what their overall profits are like without know ung what their outstanding costs are. 2% drop in sales might mean they only make $500 million in profit vs. $700 million, (random, made-up figures) rather than taking them from making a profit to losing money.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I would be highly shocked if a 2% drop in expected sales would put Activision in the red.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I don’t like it.

I like it

Everyone in fantasy lands being Fantasy British or French is boring, I appreciate when it is a medley of accents

My favourite thing with voices in the Witcher games is how many people have Welsh accents. You never hear Welsh accents in games. Like, when you say British here you mean English and Occasionally Scottish.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    There is no moral defence of laying off hundreds of people to cut costs while paying another person 15 million dollars.

There is no moral defence of taking that money.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

The obsession a lot of these companies have with their stock prices is weird.

Stock dip due to lower than expected sales? Fire a ton of people to get that up!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    There is no moral defence of laying off hundreds of people to cut costs while paying another person 15 million dollars.

There is no moral defence of taking that money.

Just for comparison? That bonus would pay 200 employees a $75000 salary. Also those employees would make the company more money.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    C'mon now wait a minute, you're all forgetting how hard those CEOs work for their bonuses! They hire so many consultants to do their jobs for them and then claim the consultant's ideas as their own, they deserve huge performance bonuses even when the company isn't performing as well as they said it would. And don't forget, when things go to shit because they're incapable of doing anything at all other than chasing quarterly profits, they get their golden parachute bonuses paid out when they get fired too.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    It also doesn't seem like Activision has that much in the way of major tentpole games outside of Blizzard. They have Call of Duty and... What? They had Destiny but that only did really well instead of insanity well so it's a disappointment. They had Skylanders but that's since disappeared. Guitar hero has been gone for a long time.

They stopped doing movie adaptations and obvious shovelware to focus only on AAA blockbusters without investing in occasional new ip to replace their blockbusters in case one of their tentpole isn't sturdy enough.

So yeah, them panicking because Blizzard is seeing less interest follows because that and Call of Duty is all they actually have.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

The obsession a lot of these companies have with their stock prices is weird.

Stock dip due to lower than expected sales? Fire a ton of people to get that up!

An international lack of taxation and a wealth of options to hide money from what taxation still remains means that capital has more power than at pretty much any period in history, simply because there is so much of it to invest and so little of it in the rest of the economy. Investors run the show, management works for the investors, and labor can die in a ditch.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I just finished my first successful game of Sunless Skies. I think the Incognito Princess' storyline might be my favorite companion arc ever. It just nails the Failbetter balance of whimsy and terror so well.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Scrolling through Steam Awards my only postive takeaway was that at least Hitman 2 made top 5 for GotY.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I don’t like it.

I like it

My favourite thing with voices in the Witcher games is how many people have Welsh accents. You never hear Welsh accents in games. Like, when you say British here you mean English and Occasionally Scottish.

As a welsh person it’s always nice to spot a welsh accent.

Most recent one is lucky jack in anthem, bonus points for the specific welsh accent local to me.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I just finished my first successful game of Sunless Skies. I think the Incognito Princess' storyline might be my favorite companion arc ever. It just nails the Failbetter balance of whimsy and terror so well.

I haven't finished her's yet, but it is fun so far. I love how birds keep inexplicably showing up in her cabin, followed by bird corpses. Also, the bit where she removes her disguise to reveal her true identity to you, by removing her "commoner's tiara" and putting on a more ostentatious one is probably my favorite joke in the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Bobby Kotick still doin' it huh

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It also doesn't seem like Activision has that much in the way of major tentpole games outside of Blizzard. They have Call of Duty and... What? They had Destiny but that only did really well instead of insanity well so it's a disappointment. They had Skylanders but that's since disappeared. Guitar hero has been gone for a long time.

They stopped doing movie adaptations and obvious shovelware to focus only on AAA blockbusters without investing in occasional new ip to replace their blockbusters in case one of their tentpole isn't sturdy enough.

So yeah, them panicking because Blizzard is seeing less interest follows because that and Call of Duty is all they actually have.

Activision's core strategy is wildly incompatible with the existing market, it grind studios and IPs into dust

The only reason Call of Duty is still around is a combination of sheer cultural inertia, and because they have three rotating studios working on games so they get roughly three years to develop their annualized game. (Not to mention all of the support studios)

They are so large, at this point, that they essentially have no way to create a new tentpole series that will perform to their expectations and release every single year.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I haven't finished her's yet, but it is fun so far. I love how birds keep inexplicably showing up in her cabin, followed by bird corpses. Also, the bit where she removes her disguise to reveal her true identity to you, by removing her "commoner's tiara" and putting on a more ostentatious one is probably my favorite joke in the game.

Her whole arc was written by Kieron Gillen, fun fact

How did y'all resolve her story?
    I didn't interfere with the wedding, she turned into a bee-god, and I tossed her semi-sentient sloughed-off skin suit into forever jail.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Her whole arc was written by Kieron Gillen, fun fact

How did y'all resolve her story?
    I didn't interfere with the wedding, she turned into a bee-god, and I tossed her semi-sentient sloughed-off skin suit into forever jail.

I made the exact same choices. I am curious yet apprehensive to see some of the other outcomes.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.