Options

Revolutionary Girl [chat]

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I would love it if you all came and lived on my block and helped raise my kids kthx also then maybe porp would let me adopt more like I want

We have obvs been thinking about adoption, and there are some fucking racial disparities when it comes to who does and doesn't get adopted, so now I am weirdly conditioned to think about kids any time I see a cute little girl who isn't white.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    @Kamiro @Sir Landshark @credeiki @everyone else

I got the other camera offloaded now:

gro4znodwan4.jpeg
    9nd6yxz3b3ij.jpeg

So it turns out there is a shortage of nice beaches in Belize. Most of the beaches on the ocean side are covered in sargassum/seaweed and kind of smelly and gross. A little bit deeper out the water is clear and amazing, but the ocean side beaches themselves are largely not good.

On the other hand, the backside of the island, as we discovered during the fishing trip, is stunning. It's just forever of crystal clear water like three feet deep and beautiful sand bottom and no waves. The problem is there's not really many ways to get back there on land, because there's a whole mangrove swamp and lagoon between the beaches and the areas where you can actually stay. There is one road, but it leads to this kind of overdeveloped beach night club area, which is beautiful, but not really our scene. As we went past though on Saturday I saw that there were a bunch of totally empty beaches just a little ways up or down the coast from the area you can access. My plan was to rent a kayak and paddle to one of the undeveloped beaches, and do the ring/kneeling thing there, but MissNub didn't want to rent a kayak and I obviously couldn't tell her why I wanted to rent a kayak.

So we went with plan B, which was just walk along in the water until we found something more quiet and isolated. I set her up on one beach and said I was going to go fishing on the next one. I had stashed the ring in the bottom of the backpack I was using and wrote a "will you marry me?" in the sand, and used a crab I found as the dot for the i and the ring box as the dot for the ?.

s2g0qukckh4r.jpeg

That done, I put the ring in my pocket, and went to get Christina and said "I found something to show you." She asked what, and because I'm not very smart the best I could come up in the moment with was "there's a dead crab over there." At which point she knew what was up, but humored me anyways.

Anyways, we went over and she saw the thing and we cried and I did the kneeling thing and she said yes and there we are. But now we can just say "sometimes there's a dead crab" and we both know what it means and thats kind of nice. And, in my defense, there was in fact a dead crab.

mebzo4pvdc7k.jpeg
    jy28f39jtsb4.jpeg

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I want to live in a weird commune

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    If we just keep talking about this cult compound/co-op for another two decades maybe we can make it actually happen

I'm sure I could stand living with a few of you

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    As my friends have their social lives obliterated by children, thus destabilizing mine as well, I can't help but think that our weird, isolated traditions of child-rearing also contribute

Of course if it were different, I'd have to like, deal with their kids more often, which sounds terrible tbh

Do it

Be weird uncle EM, who just kind of sits in the corner and can't figure out what to do when a kid runs over to him.

When my cousin was visiting with the new baby, his wife asked me if I wanted to hold him, and I said "no," and everyone yelled at me

Then I held him, dutifully, and he started crying immediately

The child is weak and I do not respect him

I've told this before i'm sure but not too long ago porp was at a playgroup thing and a mom was there with a newborn

mom handed said newborn over to porp to hold for a bit as she needed her hands free and porp audibly said "gross"

oops
    I really don't understand the holding of the baby thing. I don't want to drop the little tyke!

But holding kittehs, that is good and noble and right, even if the kitteh doesn't want to be held.

Yeah this happened to me with my son, they were all "don't you want to hold him..."

But seriously when I'd bring in the little shit goblin I was super selective on who got to hold him because he's not a puppy!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    As my friends have their social lives obliterated by children, thus destabilizing mine as well, I can't help but think that our weird, isolated traditions of child-rearing also contribute

Of course if it were different, I'd have to like, deal with their kids more often, which sounds terrible tbh

Do it

Be weird uncle EM, who just kind of sits in the corner and can't figure out what to do when a kid runs over to him.

When my cousin was visiting with the new baby, his wife asked me if I wanted to hold him, and I said "no," and everyone yelled at me

I've told this before i'm sure but not too long ago porp was at a playgroup thing and a mom was there with a newborn

mom handed said newborn over to porp to hold for a bit as she needed her hands free and porp audibly said "gross"

oops
    I really don't understand the holding of the baby thing. I don't want to drop the little tyke!

But holding kittehs, that is good and noble and right, even if the kitteh doesn't want to be held.

babs are so warm and sometimes they grab onto you with their teeny little hands so tight and their heads release an inexplicably alluring odor that i think is basically like a cat's poop toxins that makes you want to take care of them

See, I don't get that, at least with human babies. Kittens, though...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    in completely unrelated news it seems that both our modem and our router got cooked by that lightning strike, so now I need one of those too.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Communal living would be great until I had to see or hear another human being.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Imperator patched and is crashing every time I hit play in my saved game :-(

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    HEY LADY COME CHECK OUT THIS DEAD CRAB

i am dead

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    "there's a dead crab over there." At which point she knew what was up, but humored me anyways.
    So romantic. There's a dead crab.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I've replaced my interiority with podcasts

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Do it

oops

babs are so warm and sometimes they grab onto you with their teeny little hands so tight and their heads release an inexplicably alluring odor that i think is basically like a cat's poop toxins that makes you want to take care of them

See, I don't get that, at least with human babies. Kittens, though...

i mean kittens are pretty adorbs

• Options
    HEY LADY COME CHECK OUT THIS DEAD CRAB

i am dead

Convenient, I have questions to write out and am lacking a tittle.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    @surrealitycheck ^ meaningful_crab.png

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Crab fab

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Vish, congrats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDU_Txk06tM

(skip to 1:15)

• Options
    vish if you don't play this at your wedding i swear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDU_Txk06tM

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Cred, just two cents here:

I used to do this a lot: "when I’m at work I am always analyzing how other people might be feeling or thinking in general or about me"
    I have since realized that "no one cares or is thinking about you" is a much better way to approach the world.

How often would you say you think about what your coworkers are doing or what your thoughts about them are? Not directly related to you I mean.
    I realized the answer is probably, pretty much never so the opposite is probably true. I might be interested in something they are doing, or worried about a fuck up that has happened, but I'm not devoting time to them in any meaningful way for the most part.

Second, the guy internalized feedback and is adjusting his behavior accordingly, you might argue with him about the internal reasoning, or be mad that he didn't empathize correctly in the past but he's making an effort to grow. There is literally nothing more that we should be asking of people than that, beyond that is all icing on the cake.

Or maybe I'm just a person with similar sociopathy as your father.

To be clear, I do not think about it with neurotic anxiety. I’m just curious about how other people’s lives are and how they feel and what they do at home and all that. People are interesting to me. (To be clear, if they’re miserable, I find that interesting rather than upsetting—so it’s not like I’m not a sociopath in that way)

Also, my dad asked me ‘ok well how should I act towards you’ and while that’s in theory a nice question, in practice this literally means me scripting every interaction and telling him what to do on every occasion. I don’t want to write his side of the dialogue as well as mine! that takes effort and isn’t very satisfying. That’s why I suggested that he think about what it might feel like to be me and what he might want from his parents if he were in a similar position. Then he can act based on that instead of just responding to negative stimulus (I yell or cut off contact) or based on a script I gave him (“I need you to tell me you unconditionally support me and still love me”)

Empathy blind spots are fascinating, every once in a while I will find myself in a position where I realize I had never thought about what some particular other person in some particular other situation must’ve felt like. Being really honest with yourself in that can be pretty rough sometimes, especially when you have a particularly overactive imagination. It’s a good practice, if painful.

• Options
    I've replaced my interiority with podcasts
    Yes, my internal monologue often sounds like the dulcet tones of millennials and Ira Glass with vocal fry, all sitting around a couch, interspersed with poignant yet atonal snippets of music and street noises.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

How unlucky that they patched this game. It was working very well for me yesterday.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HAHAHA FUCKING OWNED CHANUS U FUCKING SCRUB

Vish I'm so happy for you on this special day, god bless

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I am looking at oil filter change videos because I don't know what I am doing, but need to have oil changed.

Anyway I think I found the holy grail of tutorial videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTZ6Yd8CAUs

All tutorial videos should be exactly this.

@Shivahn wear gloves, and if you have a way to do so, have a big piece of cardboard under your car to catch all the oil you are going to spill.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Everyone thinks communal housing is great until they have a truly bad roommate, ie me.

Sure, I'll do those dishes when I get a chance, I say, sitting bare-assed on the couch, industrial nail clippers making upsetting crunches as they grind through the thick wedges of fungal devastation I call my toenails, crescents of mottled beige flying into the air and lurking in the carpet to stab your foot three days later

Thanks, I hate this!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    sometimes crab is the answer
    god bless

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

How unlucky that they patched this game. It was working very well for me yesterday.

What game?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I'm at the conference and quickly falling asleep oh nooo

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm always perplexed that adult men have like zero friends. Maybe its a generational thing?

Friends are super important!

As an adult man with 1 friends

Distance , man. Although I am friends with and do hang with a coworker outside of work.

I figured distance was a main factor, or more generally how often people have to move.

What I'm saying is join your local elks club or something.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    One of life's finest pleasures is upending a container of tic tacs into your mouth. One? Pah! You are the apex predator, you are one who has lived through dangerous times and using a metal contraption powered by the force of exploding chemicals have propelled yourself to an establishment full of riches. While your parents asked you to preserve, to only take one, you can pour the entire thing into your mouth, taking care not to choke on the decadence that suffuses you.

This works for orange, I haven't tried other flavors in a really long time.

• Options
    Listen. Creativity is not my strong suit.

I offer this drawing I did of our Mayan site tour as evidence

9vuuy17ipzd8.jpeg

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    If we just keep talking about this cult compound/co-op for another two decades maybe we can make it actually happen

I'm sure I could stand living with a few of you

When we are all retiree age (which is to say, when I am dead and the rest of you are all retiree age) it would be totally feasible to just all move into a PA retirement community.

• Options
    Listen. Creativity is not my strong suit.

I offer this drawing I did of our Mayan site tour as evidence

9vuuy17ipzd8.jpeg
    Also: A screenshot from the new hit indie game that everyone in [chat] is raving about for some reason.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    bleric how good is my art

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I know a few people who have lived in weird communes before.

100% of the time they came out worst than they went in.

1 buddy had to go through an aggressive treatment for a antibiotic resistant STI.
    1 buddy of mine went into rehab twice to kick the addiction he picked up in his commune.
    1 acquaintance left her cult and joined the military, then went to Korea and had a terrible time.

• Options
    its pretty good right?

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

1 buddy had to go through an aggressive treatment for a antibiotic resistant STI.
    1 buddy of mine went into rehab twice to kick the addiction he picked up in his commune.
    1 acquaintance left her cult and joined the military, then went to Korea and had a terrible time.

Their mistakes were not being cult leaders!

And also in the one case actually fucking people in the cult. Turns out that's a bad idea.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    its pretty good right?

Why does the orange guy have such a big penis?

• Options
    Cultists are well known for their sexual hygiene

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Tobias:
    You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised... a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed but free to explore extramarital encounters.

Lindsay:
    Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias:
    No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but... but it might work for us.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I don't mind communal housing so much as long as I get my own bathroom attached to my bedroom.

Being in a nudity-tolerant household helps. But still there are times when, say, I want to jump in the shower after having really messy sex and I don't want to walk through common areas while slathered with a visible mix of bodily fluids

Nudity is one thing. Cum is another.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.