As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Godzilla and other, less important Kaiju

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Some of those movies make me wonder that just because they could have doesn't mean that they should have.

The descriptions Criterion had to write for some of them are just trying so hard to make them into anything

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    IIRC, Sony owns all of the Millenium series and most of the Heisei era, except for Return of Godzilla (which might still be under Kraken Releasing) and Godzilla vs Biollante (Which I think Lionsgate has the distrubution rights on? Maybe)

Given the stars that had to align for the Showa stuff, I'm much more optimistic about those two happening now.

Someday. :biggrin: This one is still 3 months out. :)

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Some of those movies make me wonder that just because they could have doesn't mean that they should have.

The descriptions Criterion had to write for some of them are just trying so hard to make them into anything

"This has Godzilla's son! ... yeah!"

wVEsyIc.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t hold out hope for Criterion to collect the Millennium movies. Maybe Heisei, but the Showa films carry more cultural pedigree that Criterion is all about, I think.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Oh they absolutely should have. You're gonna watch all that recycled stock footage in Godzilla's Revenge in stunning HD and you're gonna like it damnit.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Too bad they didn't get Stokoe to do any of the covers though, that woulda been great.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This seems like the same artist they had do the Lone Wolf and Cub cover, which was incredible.

wVEsyIc.png

"This has Godzilla's son! ... yeah!"

“Efficiently directed”

“Lively, comic, and timely in it’s addressing of contemporary anxieties about worldwide food shortages”

“Economizing by reusing effects shots from other films in the series ... in this thoughtful, human scale story”

Valiant attempts, copy writers

signature-deffo.jpg
    edited July 2019
    Speaking of Kaiju, looks like Mill Creek (who did the recent Mothra steelbook release) also got the rights to Ultra Q and Ultraman, and will be releasing those on blu-ray.

https://www.kaijubattle.net/ultra-universe/mill-creek-entertainment-acquires-ultraman-license-for-north-america

EDIT: Oh hello: http://www.13amgames.com/dotm

1-4 local players Brawling Action Game

Undead Scottsman on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to order this, but $180/$225 is a lot when I'll just be watching Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla haha.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Part of me wants to order this, but $180/$225 is a lot when I'll just be watching Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla haha.

Eastern Eye, from what I can gather an Australian company released for box sets, showa 1+2, hesei and millennium that have every movie between the four of them and cost me £20 each. Significantly cheaper than the new criterion set, especially if you only need 1-2 movies to compete a collection.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I rewatched vs. Destoroyah last night. Last time I saw it was about ten years ago. That's the best Heisei film by far. It's so focused whereas I find the ones prior get really lost in all their subplots.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    We need a top ten list.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Just ok imo

Got my steelbook copy of Mothra today; man that is just a great movie. Good cast, fun characters, cool set pieces and Mothra is a timeless movie creature. Some of the miniature work is a bit obvious (Whenever you're stuck showing a little plastic man sticking out of a tank, it's going to be obvious; not much you can do about it.), and the compositing is a little bordery, but it's 1961 so they're pretty impressive in that respect. (And they still look fine).

Honestly, the only really bad part is the depiction of native islanders (which is sadly prevalent in a lot of these early Toho films)

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Are collections like this one readily available after release, or is it a you better preorder situation?

Cause I'd love to get it but basically the only way I could swing it is by using christmas money/inevitably overtime bloated holiday paychecks.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    turtleant wrote: »
    Are collections like this one readily available after release, or is it a you better preorder situation?

Cause I'd love to get it but basically the only way I could swing it is by using christmas money/inevitably overtime bloated holiday paychecks.

Criterions are usually around for a long time coming. And you're better off waiting for a sale anyway.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited August 2019
    I’m excited for KOTM to hit digital next week so I’m watching through some old movies and boy, it’s times like these I wish I could get those old Godzilla PS2 and GameCube games on modern hardware

Or heck just make a new one, Godzilla is evergreen, figure it out game industry

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    Given the background on NECA figures, and some of the talk about KotM, it sounds like Toho is just a really difficult licensor.

Having seen KOTM again, it is somehow both more likable and more frustrating to me

The parts that I like, I like more

The parts I have problems with, I have even greater conviction about

And it would be so easy to, if not solve them, then at least minimize or make them better with some very simple changes!

signature-deffo.jpg
    I saw a few clips uploaded on YouTube and yeah, I could see myself being a bit more charitable to it on a rewatch… but then I remember the issues I had with it. I'll watch it again in a few weeks maybe.

Trying to decide if I want to get the 3D version or the 4K version. I don't understand why you can't get both in one package.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    are there any 3D 4k TVs?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i just can't imagine anything that was good in godzilla 2 being enhanced by being on a smaller sceen

6vjsgrerts6r.png

are there any 3D 4k TVs?

My computer OLED has 3D still. It's supposed to be pretty good with this movie.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    are there any 3D 4k TVs?

Nah we're still waiting on the one true display, the uberscreen, the godpanel, to be released: 90 inches, 8k, HDR, 3D, curved screen, only $250k.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    also it's a CRT so you can get that true accuracy when you're playing retro video games

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    also it's a CRT so you can get that true accuracy when you're playing retro video games

I don't want to imagine how much a 90 inch CRT screen would weigh! The old 32 inch "big" screens were heavy enough!

Re-watching Godzilla 1984 since I had a hankering. Man, that theme song is amazing, really the whole OST is great.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I watched King of the Monsters while sick yesterday. Started with streaming the 1080p version but had to go all out and buy the 4K halfway through. I really liked it, in spite of my fears of the human characters being boring cartoons and their flying fortress plot being stupid, but it was actually kind of awesome (the last Splinter Cell game flipped my expectations on these exact same beats). The 'zilla action was great and I'm glad they kept the "from the ground" perspective on a lot of the fights. It still takes a bit too long to get to the good stuff, but a lot of that is smoothed over by not following a plank of wood around this time.
    Also they don't kill the most charismatic actor until near the end, so...

Would love to go back and watch the originals as well.

EDIT: If only there were a thread which recommended or ranked said original films (honestly thought this was the movie thread).

Cristoval on
    Understandable since the D&D movie thread has Godzilla in the title. There's been a few folks here that did some "if you watch 5" lists. They were before KotM's came out so they may be pretty far back.

The main question would be do you want to watch all of them, or just sample them from the different era's?

Probably a good sampling from the different eras.
    That Criterion collection posted above is probably a good place to start, but I'd gladly take any recommendations on some quality ones to check out, with an interest towards Mothras best apperances as well.

The original Mothra vs. Godzilla is top tier

The original 1954 is a must watch

Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster or Monster Zero for a good film in the Showa era

Godzilla vs Megalon for a good film in the Showa era

Return of Godzilla is a great opener for the Heisei era

Godzilla: Final Wars of the Millenium era is a personal favorite of mine

Shin Godzilla is the best Godzilla film since the original.

edited August 2019
    If you like the Showa ones, I'm sure we can expand this list. There are other decent ones, but also some really bad ones. The Heisei era, that's the series I grew up on, so I love all of them (still my favorite Godzilla model). I added 3 out of the 7. I've only seen the Millennium era stuff once way back and none of it stuck with me other than Final Wars for the pure insanity of the 2nd half.
    • The original 1954
    • Mothra vs. Godzilla
    • Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster or Godzilla vs Monster Zero
    • Destroy All Monsters - If you like the Showa style and want lots of monsters.
    • Godzilla vs. Hedorah - Nostalgia may be playing here since this is the one I used to watch all the time as a kid.
    • Godzilla 1984 - If you can. 1985 is the backup but has tons of edits making the USSR look terrible ha.
    • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II - Intro to baby G.
    • Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
    • Godzilla: Final Wars - Modern goofy Godzilla.
    • Shin Godzilla

Trajan45 on
    Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I've seen Shin Godzilla and it's definitely my fave!

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Having seen KOTM again, it is somehow both more likable and more frustrating to me

The parts that I like, I like more

The parts I have problems with, I have even greater conviction about

And it would be so easy to, if not solve them, then at least minimize or make them better with some very simple changes!

Be interested to hear your thoughts on it! Just got to see it recently myself, and while i like the action, the dialogue had me cringing a loooot. Sad i never caught in cinemas though, just for the scale of the spectacle.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891