As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Oof...

Just got back to the "Sanctuary" episode from DS9 season 2. This is gonna be rough given the current immigration climate in the US. I have a feeling (based on memories of previous viewings of the series) that I'm going to be saying that a lot.
    Sanctuary, in my opinion, just does not work at all in the Star Trek universe. Sorry about your dumb prophecy or whatever, but the galaxy is littered with M-class planets, so I really don't care if you're sad.

Except they weren't looking for just any ol' M-class planet...they were looking for one where they could synergistically benefit the beleaguered population already there. What they were building towards was that it wasn't about the land at all.

Throughout the series Bajor has problems with food production. The Sanctuary aliens would have been a net benefit to Bajor because they were able to farm war-torn land.

lack of manpower wasn't exactly an issue with Bajor's food shortage. The land was toxic because of weapons used during the war, they needed high tech equipment to reclaim the soil, not a bunch of idiots pocking in the dirt.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I wonder how much land reclamation and emergency aid played a role in Bajor’s invitation to/joining the Federation.

Historically, a government can survive anything but an empty stomach.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Oof...

Just got back to the "Sanctuary" episode from DS9 season 2. This is gonna be rough given the current immigration climate in the US. I have a feeling (based on memories of previous viewings of the series) that I'm going to be saying that a lot.
    Sanctuary, in my opinion, just does not work at all in the Star Trek universe. Sorry about your dumb prophecy or whatever, but the galaxy is littered with M-class planets, so I really don't care if you're sad.

Except they weren't looking for just any ol' M-class planet...they were looking for one where they could synergistically benefit the beleaguered population already there. What they were building towards was that it wasn't about the land at all.

Throughout the series Bajor has problems with food production. The Sanctuary aliens would have been a net benefit to Bajor because they were able to farm war-torn land.

lack of manpower wasn't exactly an issue with Bajor's food shortage. The land was toxic because of weapons used during the war, they needed high tech equipment to reclaim the soil, not a bunch of idiots pocking in the dirt.

Was it from weapons or from Cardassian mining techniques? Both?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Oof...

I wasn't implying it was a matter of labor. The aliens specifically said they were capable of forming the toxic soil that Bajorans were unable to.

• Options
    Oof...

I wasn't implying it was a matter of labor. The aliens specifically said they were capable of forming the toxic soil that Bajorans were unable to.

yeah sure they did, and they also had great haircuts.

• Options
    Oof...

You have a great haircut.

• Options
    Oof...

I do not.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I didn't realize
    Oof...

I do not.

I do

• Options
    Fine, I'll get a haircut! GEEEZ!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The problem with Sanctuary is that they made the aliens too irritating and contemptible to be sympathetic. Like, I get what they were trying to do, but it succeeds to well and so we kinda just don't care that much. It's all to abstract to connect emotionally and on the surface level I hate them and want them sent back through the wormhole.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    The crazy thing to me about the TOS movies is that they are kinda all over the place in terms of tone and such. Even the really good ones span some pretty broad territory. And yet they all work and are recognizably Star Trek.

Even the most maligned movie, V, gets one thing right: The entire Kirk/Spock/McCoy friendship dynamic.

I can never hate V just cause the trio are at full throttle dynamic and its just so fun to watch.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    The crazy thing to me about the TOS movies is that they are kinda all over the place in terms of tone and such. Even the really good ones span some pretty broad territory. And yet they all work and are recognizably Star Trek.

Even the most maligned movie, V, gets one thing right: The entire Kirk/Spock/McCoy friendship dynamic.

I can ever hate V just cause the trio are at full throttle dynamic and its just so fun to watch.

I'm really tired and forgot what topic this is, so for a second I thought you and Wolfman were talking about V for Vendetta.

And now I'm imagining Kirk/Spock/McCoy hanging out with V.
    No regerts.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    anytime someone mentions V, i think of the old tv show
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086822/

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The made-for-tv movies were great. I remember when the Scifi channel made a big ado about getting those rights and me and my mom (who watched it when it first aired) watched it together.

The series I was less impressed with.

Speak not of the reboot.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Onto the transporter-phobia episode of TNG and Barclay continues to be the best character in Starfleet.

Childhood is cringing at Barclay's antics. Adulthood is realizing he was the hero. Every time the chips are down, he gets over his fear and insecurities and saves the day. Even his holoaddicion eventually comes back around to save the day with Prof. Moriarty.

Dwight Schultz is such an amazing voice actor I've heard him in multiple game roles only to get to the credits, and sputter THAT WAS HIM????

• Options
    Onto the transporter-phobia episode of TNG and Barclay continues to be the best character in Starfleet.

Childhood is cringing at Barclay's antics. Adulthood is realizing he was the hero. Every time the chips are down, he gets over his fear and insecurities and saves the day. Even his holoaddicion eventually comes back around to save the day with Prof. Moriarty.

Dwight Schultz is such an amazing voice actor I've heard him in multiple game roles only to get to the credits, and sputter THAT WAS HIM????

the guy from the office?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Barkley.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    my buddy just described Scott Bakula's Captain Archer as "your weekend dad in space, wearing a Canadian tuxedo on the weekend, sitting around in his denim jacket, and when you argue with him he tells you you sound like your mother"

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    my buddy just described Scott Bakula's Captain Archer as "your weekend dad in space, wearing a Canadian tuxedo on the weekend, sitting around in his denim jacket, and when you argue with him he tells you you sound like your mother"

So...

Basically...

Chuck's dad in space?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Holy shit, the used circuit boards with silicon chips on them as props for the inside of some starfleet gadgets. I thought they moved past that stuff. :wink:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Holy shit, the used circuit boards with silicon chips on them as props for the inside of some starfleet gadgets. I thought they moved past that stuff. :wink:

Silicon, Isolinear, potayto potahto

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    oh no those are the... uh... tetridimium control matrix sheets.

they control the tetridimium.

edit: if there's a job that's JUST "made up scifi garbage" i need to be hired for it.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

I think it looks really good!

there's also a disco trailer floating around but it's region locked to heck and back so waiting for a more accessible version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvKBeOKvblI

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I think it looks really good!

there's also a disco trailer floating around but it's region locked to heck and back so waiting for a more accessible version

Okay that looks fantastic and exactly like what I want

• Options
    I wonder if everyone in the TNG crew will be retired.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I wonder if everyone in the TNG crew will be retired.

LaForge may still be in command of Challenger.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ah here's a Discovery trailer that should work for all concerned. No release date yet though

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Soooo... Star Trek, but without the Federation at all plus a big steaming pile of overwrought "we must save everything and it's down to just us!"

Well, I can hope they use the season to do something productive, like ditching the Kelvinverse reboot and putting the original timeline back in place.

• Options
    Soooo... Star Trek, but without the Federation at all plus a big steaming pile of overwrought "we must save everything and it's down to just us!"

As I may have said before:
    I've already seen this show, back when it was called Andromeda.

• Options
    I hope season 3 is better than 2 and 1. Season 3 was when TNG found its footing so I have some small amount of hope for STD. Picard looks nostalgic an expensive if nothing else. I hope it's good.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

As I may have said before:
    I've already seen this show, back when it was called Andromeda.

I completely didn't even see that because I haven't seen that show in so long, but yeah, it's so damned obvious now. So the Discovery showmakers not only couldn't work decently with the framework of Star Trek, they had to go and rip off a different Roddenberry show as well? Oof.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Why couldn't the future be nice for once

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Why couldn't the future be nice for once

A story needs conflict.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Looked like some Trill in the Discovery preview. I wonder if Dax will show up?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like the new Picard trailer better than the last one.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if we assume that tech, at least, keeps getting better for 970 years, then if there are technological threats in the future the Discovery will be hopelessly outclassed against them.

If they're at a technological level they can even hope to understand and overcome, it means that tech hits a ceiling beyond which it will stop improving, which makes no sense given everything already depicted in series set in the 24th (and later) centuries. Unless there was a period of technological backslide for some reason, like a mini-dark age, and that sounds interesting, why wasn't this season set there instead?

So they had them go to a future where things kinda fell apart.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Although Data looks kinda fucked up. Seven of Nine looks amazing, though.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    A show about an almost-80-year-old leader of rare principle, who comes in to save the day in spite of detractors who say he is too old to do the job, buoyed by a team of enthusiastic young supporters? Hmm, sounds good to me

• Options
    Don't forget the replacement heart.

• Options
    My Picard prediction: he's scripted to die at the end, but the show will be successful enough that some suit will overrule them because they want a season 2.

This discussion has been closed.