Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Postmedia was reported a few months ago to be consciously making a harder shift to the right. I think we talked about it here, but Canadaland published it. It’s really bad!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    FIRING STRONG WOMEN

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've moved to the real deep cold north of Canada....Barrie

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Ah yes, "cold"...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The biggest surprise of this election has been how much I've grown to like Singh

I expected him to basically be as invisible as he and the party had been in the time before the writ dropped

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    If I'm being realistic and and/or cynical, I think he's in a spot where he knows that compromising his values to try to appeal to "centrist" voters wouldn't make enough of a difference even if that was an effective strategy (and I'm not sure it is), so he's free to be as authentic as he wants and focus on energizing his party's base.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Dixon wrote: »
    I've moved to the real deep cold north of Canada....Barrie

That’s not too far from where I grew up! I haven’t spent much time in Barrie though. All I remember about it is I’m pretty sure there’s good fishing, if you’re into that sort of thing.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I love that the Rebel guy won’t say Rebel News and instead says RNN, as though the candidates wouldn’t know what that stands for.

I will never understand why those swine are allowed a press pass.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUwTg7q1HQ8

The very finest of Barrie-area news: We Are the New VR

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hey happy the secret best Thanksgiving weekend, y’all

sig.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    (This was my first reminder monday is thanksgiving)

• Options
    Hey thanks!

I'm gonna do what we do every holiday, which is binge eat and play video games in the basement

(We don't have much of an extended family to do things with which is PERFECT)

Steam
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Gonna make a ham for thankgiving. This will be my first one, since I have a small family, and I usually buy the Stuffed turkey breast roast, which is easy to plop in the oven.

Here's to hoping I don't burn it.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Gonna make a ham for thankgiving. This will be my first one, since I have a small family, and I usually buy the Stuffed turkey breast roast, which is easy to plop in the oven.

Here's to hoping I don't burn it.

When in doubt, low and slow with a blast of heat at the end works well with basically any sort of roasted meat

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    It's going to be a quiet Thanksgiving for me this year. Just me and my dad I think.
    And whenever it's just me and my dad, it's time for our age-old tradition... playing through Fighting Fantasy choose-your-own-adventure books.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

Singh and the BQ refusing to interact with Rebel are highlights of the week for me.

• Options
    I voted! My guy probably ain't gonna win but it's nice to contribute to the popular vote at least.

I do appreciate how organized our electoral process is, at least. I was done in 15 minutes and the polling station was only a 5 minute walk from my door. Wasn't bad at all!

Steam
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I voted this morning as well.
    I expected there to be a line because it being a holiday people would take this opportunity.
    But then I went in and realized there were like twenty people working at the poll, and me and one other person there voting. I was in and out and back on my bike in under three minutes.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Green Party announced today they’d provide immediate support to any public servants dealing with Phoenix pay issues, and as someone who is currently dealing with said issues, that’s a big point in their favor!

However, I’m still torn between voting strategically (with a bit of my gut) for NDP or going all-in voting with my values and going communist party.... one vote may actually work to unseat the liberal, the other just a vote asserting my values... hard decision

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

I KNEW IT.

AN INTERNATIONALE CONSPIRACY TO MAKE THE RICH SLIGHTLY LESS RICH.

EN FRANCAIS AUSSI

• Options
    I feel pretty good about my response to “Ann from Nova Scotia Strong”

Spoiled because phone screenshots tend to be big
    6kcccz4v0t0x.png

She hasn’t responded :surprised:

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Man, you're getting texts? I'm just getting robo-calls on the daily, and sometimes, they're just Chinese/Mandarin messages that I can't comprehend.

If some political party started sending me texts, I'd be mighty upset.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Man, you're getting texts? I'm just getting robo-calls on the daily, and sometimes, they're just Chinese/Mandarin messages that I can't comprehend.

If some political party started sending me texts, I'd be mighty upset.

Oh I get the Mandarin messages too. Pretty sure those are a callback scam meant to specifically target Chinese people?

All I've seen is some Facebook targeted ads that came from some kind of interest groups I've never heard of that seemed to espouse what seemed like a reasonable political take but the source seemed so shady I was almost immediately convinced that was some kind of influence that would immediately try to sell me alt-right conspiracy theories if I clicked on the video.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NDP has been texting me ever since I answered their phone call and said yup I'm already voting for you I have a sign thanks

pretty sure I'm tagged as a supporter and everything now

sig.gif
  • Options
    The mandarin robocalls are a scam targeting Chinese immigrants/students/etc, claiming there’s a problem with their visa and demanding money or they’ll be deported

It’s like the Canada Revenue Agency scam but extra predatory and reprehensible

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Funny that it's supposed to be targeting immigrants and students. I'm a first generation born Canadian, but the son of immigrants from Italy (dad) and Mexico (mom). Wonder how they got my number.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Funny that it's supposed to be targeting immigrants and students. I'm a first generation born Canadian, but the son of immigrants from Italy (dad) and Mexico (mom). Wonder how they got my number.

They just call everyone. My roots go back to New France and they call me too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    oh they're calling everyone, it's just that only a few people can believe that it applies to them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    grain of salt, these are projections based on the polls, not actual polls, etc

but holy shit did 338's projections swing yesterday
    n1pl2nvbx5sl.png
    314s0m7sogw2.png

that's a swing from the CPC ahead by a fraction of a percent to the LPC ahead by nearly 20% in terms of who will have the most seats (59.2%-40.2%)

in terms of actual outcomes, a Liberal minority/coalition with the NDP is now the most likely at 45.1 %, Conservative minority (supported by... nobody? I almost hope they try to ally with the Bloc for what that would do to their chances going forward) is next at 38.6%. Liberal majority at 14.1%, and most importantly, 338 currently projects only a 1.7% chance of a Conservative majority government.

• Options
    It's interesting, but I just can't bring myself to trust canadian election projections. There's just been so many times they're wrong.

• Options
    Generally our polling is much worse than American ones are, so yeah, always take a grain of salt with projections

Still, that's a pretty large swing

Steam
  • Options
    American polling isn't even good, really

I'm not someone who like, knows much about it, but it's clear that it's a situation where it trends towards sort of outdated social norms - every phone poll for example, notoriously skewing towards the older people who will just pick up the phone and chat about their intentions.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I mean, even 538 famously whiffed the 2016 Presidential election prediction (but so did everyone else). Last year's Quebec provincial, similarly, had QC125 fail to predict the CAQ majority.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    It's almost like statistics are worthless!

ETA: Okay, okay, "It's almost like [statistics of an incomplete sampling of the population] is useless", ya got me.

Elaro on
  • Options
  • Options
    so the Globe & Mail reported yesterday that the Conservatives hired Warren Kinsella's consulting firm to "Seek and Destroy" Maxime Bernier's People's Party of Canada

since then, Kinsella has deleted his twitter account, and Scheer is squirming and running from reporters

shot:

chaser:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/project-cactus-maxime-bernier-1.5327555

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

"Wide range of voices that aren't always represented in media landscapes", huh? Well, if they wanted to do that, I have a journal of my farts that they could publish. Now there's a toot a voice that's waft oft unheard of in media landscapes!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I respect the NDP candidates in this riding who run even though they know they're going to be trounced.

I especially respect this year's candidate, a 24 year old who has being vice president of Central Alberta Quidditch among her credentials.