As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a good [job] thread, Elmo

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I think we DO have a manual of some kind, I think it's mainly because I'm known for helping people with their tech shit so I've become a junior IT person through the process of "knowing about computer bullshit"

It is something worth considering, though. I also need to start working on stuff like the various processes I go through for filings, pleadings, etc.

The firm I was at until recently had a Policies and Procedures document. It was the work of many hands, regularly reviewed, and invaluable. We also had detailed checklists for things like the progress of a case, necessary filings at what points, etc.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I think we DO have a manual of some kind, I think it's mainly because I'm known for helping people with their tech shit so I've become a junior IT person through the process of "knowing about computer bullshit"

It is something worth considering, though. I also need to start working on stuff like the various processes I go through for filings, pleadings, etc.

The firm I was at until recently had a Policies and Procedures document. It was the work of many hands, regularly reviewed, and invaluable. We also had detailed checklists for things like the progress of a case, necessary filings at what points, etc.

Yeah, I should look into what we have. It's just hard to find the time to really, you know, sit down and review these things.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I finally thought of a report I can present at meetings and all the managers really love it

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I gave a lecture on the history & process of impeachment to three Civics classes today.

I was complimented by both students & staff for how engaging it was overall.

The students & I made fun of Bill Clinton.

My voice is rough from lecturing though...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My department is doing a hasty inventory recount

I'm a transaction analyst, my duties include keeping the inventory accurate between the physical inventory and the electronic inventory record

It's going to be a completely awful shit show

The annual inventory recount involved six weeks of prep

Was given two weeks notice of this, and already had PTO scheduled for last week

Hurrah for overtime, I guess

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hey, if it's worth doing right, it's worth doing again and also wrong.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    No unusual problems with sexism, bias or academic culture, just the same ol' same ol'.
    The unusual part makes me wonder if it is a troll. It's basically saying that "yes, there is a problem".

"But it's a problem that doesn't effect me, personally, so we should just let it be."
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    What I really want to see for education is VR tourism for spaces that no longer exist.

I think having students be able to walk around our best guess recreations of ancient structures or cities could really make things engaging and “real” to students.

I also wonder about using it to say, put people in a ww1 tench during artillery bombardment but I worry about when we cross the line of good taste on some things.

There are WW1 VR experiences. Also HoloTours lets you look around historical Machu Picchu and the Roman Coliseum. The Coliseum even has a gladiator fight you can watch.

I was at a tech con last year where they were demoing a VR tour of 1800s Oslo. Think they used every kind of historical source they could get their hands on to make it, though it was pretty bare bones. It was available off some website, but I don't have the flier any more. It got lost in a move.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Team leader posted a list of shifts for Thanksgiving and I asked for 12:30pm to 7:30pm and he asked if I could do 1:30pm to 7:30pm and I took it and then ge offered someone else 12:30pm to 7:30pm.

Lame

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    No unusual problems with sexism, bias or academic culture, just the same ol' same ol'.
    The unusual part makes me wonder if it is a troll. It's basically saying that "yes, there is a problem".

"But it's a problem that doesn't effect me, personally, so we should just let it be."
    What I really want to see for education is VR tourism for spaces that no longer exist.

I think having students be able to walk around our best guess recreations of ancient structures or cities could really make things engaging and “real” to students.

I also wonder about using it to say, put people in a ww1 tench during artillery bombardment but I worry about when we cross the line of good taste on some things.

There are WW1 VR experiences. Also HoloTours lets you look around historical Machu Picchu and the Roman Coliseum. The Coliseum even has a gladiator fight you can watch.

I was at a tech con last year where they were demoing a VR tour of 1800s Oslo. Think they used every kind of historical source they could get their hands on to make it, though it was pretty bare bones. It was available off some website, but I don't have the flier any more. It got lost in a move.

I've seen some really cool tech demos of VR stuff done by universities for education but they never but them anywhere where schools can actually get them!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Pfff, those aren't actually for schools, they're for getting more grant money.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Work is done, post work work-out is done, it's most high and holy Fridax!

Gonna have some ribs, play Control, and then tomorrow night is the girlfriend & I are going bowling.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    osp supervisor: this will be a pain in the ass cut but it's needed and the sooner we do it the better, we've looked it over and if we start in the morning we'll have businesses up by time of opening and everyone else by noon

12 hours into the day of the cut

contractor left in charge because osp supervisor is gone for the day: this is fucked up we have no documentation we had no plan and we only found out how fucked it was this morning; we need to leave customers out of service overnight because we are running out of daylight.

me: cool

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    osp supervisor: this will be a pain in the ass cut but it's needed and the sooner we do it the better, we've looked it over and if we start in the morning we'll have businesses up by time of opening and everyone else by noon

12 hours into the day of the cut

contractor left in charge because osp supervisor is gone: this is fucked up we have no documentation we had no plan and we only found out how fucked it was this morning; we need to leave customers out of service overnight because we are running out of daylight.

me: cool

Ooof.

Thisisfine.jpg

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Doing orientation at a new psych hospital I am working at this week and it was all fairly boring. It was good stuff, and I like the level of training honestly. Unfortunately it was mostly for the floor staff such as nurses or techs and so of little value to me. Still, it was much better than the training I got as a tech so good sign overall.

The only downside was the group I was with seemed to have all the discipline of a bunch of teenagers at best. I say this as someone who works with teens a lot as well. Watching a RN talk on the phone in front of the trainers, who are also the top brass of the hospital, was particularly depressing. Nothing beat today when two nurses who had been sniping at each other all week got into a screaming match over an answer to a question. In front of the Director of Nursing. It went on for like 10 minutes. I have never seen two "professionals" get written up before day one of your actual job before, and I have to wonder if they shouldn't have done more.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with any of their stuff. The best part of being a therapist is the ability to ignore almost everyone else at work. I am almost completely outside of everyone's chain of command and thus outside of all the drama they might want to get me involved in.

Other bonus was a flu shot! Hopefully in time for cute birb picture as well!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pfff, those aren't actually for schools, they're for getting more grant money.

And to be earnest for a moment, making stuff formally available to the educational market is actually really really hard. There’s all sorts of regulatory hoops and approvals, it’s insane. Your better option is to email the labs directly and ask them if they’ll provide you with a download or copy, mostly people WANT schools to have this kind of stuff but the steps to getting it there aren’t worth it unless it’s definitely going to be a widely used commercial product.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Also adventures in medical, I worked with a severe dementia patient. The thing is, at first glance she seemed fairly normal. No broken speech, presented herself fairly well, with a literal 5 second memory span. She wanted her husband to come pick her up. And of course it turns out, he died years ago. Thankfully she has other family. She ending up arguing with herself because she would tell the nurses different things, they would try to accommodate her, and then her new self would override her prior self, and be convinced the nurses were trying to trick her.
    Just overhearing her conversation nearby, made me have to stifle both pity and laughter for all involved.
    It's a trip.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just went to do a perfectly normal shoulder stand in order to do some stretches and halfway up I pulled several muscles I didn't even know I had

Is this age? This is age, isn't it

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I just went to do a perfectly normal shoulder stand in order to do some stretches and halfway up I pulled several muscles I didn't even know I had

Welcome to your mortality.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

Back in the early-mid 2000s, I was at an SE forum party at Jordyn & Framling's place. During the festivities, I jumped on a friends back and summarily got body tossed by Doc, who was a giant of a man, he simply grabbed me by the arm and yeeted me. That shoulder has never been the same.

It still gets stiff & tight all of the time, I was at the gym bit over a week ago and it was being extra stubborn so I tried doing some shoulder rotations and it just popped a whole bunch and then hurt a lot. Took two days resting that arm before it felt normal again.

I guess the point is haha youthful invincibility is the lie everyone believes at some point.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Back in the early-mid 2000s, I was at an SE forum party at Jordyn & Framling's place. During the festivities, I jumped on a friends back and summarily got body tossed by Doc, who was a giant of a man, he simply grabbed me by the arm and yeeted me. That shoulder has never been the same.

It still gets stiff & tight all of the time, I was at the gym bit over a week ago and it was being extra stubborn so I tried doing some shoulder rotations and it just popped a whole bunch and then hurt a lot. Took two days resting that arm before it felt normal again.

I guess the point is haha youthful invincibility is the lie everyone believes at some point.

My knees and one wrist agree with this whole heartily.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’m actually learning to handwrite differently since a seven year old injury I incurred moving some shelves means I can’t write more than a couple of lines before my hand starts cramping then goes numb

• Options
    Also I'm gonna see if I can get approval to purchase it on the company dime first, but if not I'm totally going to buy myself a new chair for my office because the one I have is not at all ergonomic and is meant more for people to plop down for five minutes at a time. I could just order a better chair and validate the cost, but it's better to play nice when I'm working on getting a raise over what the union is contracted at.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Grand Fridax has begun. Why is it grand? I'm off until the 21st, and I'm flying to Tokyo on the 10th!

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got called from the State Unemployment office as they wanted to know about my transportation problem
    I basically told them for various reasons I could not afford a car {seriously 2.5k for a car with a blown engine is NOT a good deal and that was one the cheaper ones I could find I will not go into detail about my two trips to the dealers} That the city's bus system is rather limited {they cut various routes earlier this year} And I felt it was insulting they asked after they disqualified me and my dismal prospects for jobs that they called wanting this info

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I have a job interview tomorrow that, thanks to my current job, I've had nowhere near enough time to prepare for.

My sense of dread is completely off the charts.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Lead with "I didn't prepare for this interview at all, because I am 100% invested in my current job, and that's the kind of dedication you can expect from me if I work for you."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Doing orientation at a new psych hospital I am working at this week and it was all fairly boring. It was good stuff, and I like the level of training honestly. Unfortunately it was mostly for the floor staff such as nurses or techs and so of little value to me. Still, it was much better than the training I got as a tech so good sign overall.

The only downside was the group I was with seemed to have all the discipline of a bunch of teenagers at best. I say this as someone who works with teens a lot as well. Watching a RN talk on the phone in front of the trainers, who are also the top brass of the hospital, was particularly depressing. Nothing beat today when two nurses who had been sniping at each other all week got into a screaming match over an answer to a question. In front of the Director of Nursing. It went on for like 10 minutes. I have never seen two "professionals" get written up before day one of your actual job before, and I have to wonder if they shouldn't have done more.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with any of their stuff. The best part of being a therapist is the ability to ignore almost everyone else at work. I am almost completely outside of everyone's chain of command and thus outside of all the drama they might want to get me involved in.

Other bonus was a flu shot! Hopefully in time for cute birb picture as well!

My "first day at work" story is actually more of a "first day on a new project team" story.

TL;DR - I dialed in for a requirements grooming call and spent the first 15 minutes listening to the scrum master and a developer get into a shouting match over the phone while literally 10 other people just sat there on mute as though it was an everyday thing.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    "timspork's ghost" I'm really curious, how do you use VR in schools? That sounds cool! We use it in my practice sometimes for large projects.

Moriveth you could ask your company if they'd resource some of your time to making a company manual! It could be really useful thing for yourself and colleagues, and may help you identify any holes in the system.

I've been invited to come back to my university to talk to the current masters about writing a dissertation, which is a nice compliment. I'm pretty sure the students are going to have zero questions for me and they'll sit there in stoney silence but oh well.

Right now we are on the cutting edge of VR in education so it is extremely early. There are already some neat educational experiences for history, geography, and science. There is HoloTours, Google Earth VR, stuff like virtual space walks, a neat game show type thing where you have to mix chemicals correctly using real lab safety skills. Then a lot of other stuff I've cooped into educational uses like using Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes to practice teamwork and communication skills, and Beat Saber for aerobics.

There are also some vr tours of cells and a bunch of biology things, and a couple of space vr sims that are out there.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Turns out I'm the worst advocate for myself

The company I worked for as a full-time contractor (US-based) got bought out by a larger corporation who are now taking me on full-time after establishing a UK entity to employ me through. It's been happening for two months now and I only just now realised I should ask what my salary is going to be so I don't screw myself over moving from self-employed company director to full-time employee

That was an awkward question to ask "hey, how much were you planning on paying me?"

Turns out adulting continues to be hard

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    We're communicating more and more in memes in my team.

Kubernetes HPA won't let us scale down to zero pods:

y61jdtwtsgqp.png

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    We're communicating more and more in memes in my team.

Kubernetes HPA won't let us scale down to zero pods:

y61jdtwtsgqp.png

6fpo2blhgvtv.png

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    So at the tail end of my regular day shift, which was a pretty eventful one, I agreed to also do a night shift today. In six hours. This will be fun*.

*for a very loose definition of fun.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

AC: Origins and AC: Odyssey's Discovery mode in VR would be SUPER COOL.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I wish I had like... 3 times per month where I can set my email and Skype to "NOT TODAY" and I'm just left to work and anything else can wait until the next day

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I have given up on finishing everything I should before I go on vacation on Wednesday. What will be will be. I’m starting my weekend and having office whisky.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

With the Coliseum, I can only imagine it's some bad 90s green screen action with low-paid amateur actors. And 5 minutes of Laser Disk loading times, that occur sporadically throughout.

I know technology has gotten better, but that's the first thing that popped into my mind.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I just had a student loudly inform the whole class, "I'm a creation of science. My parents spent $16,000 to grow me in a Petri dish and then launch me into my mom's uterus like a grenade. I'm just trying to pay back that balance. Every day that $16,000 hangs over me."

Man, high school is wild.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I just had a student loudly inform the whole class, "I'm a creation of science. My parents spent $16,000 to grow me in a Petri dish and then launch me into my mom's uterus like a grenade. I'm just trying to pay back that balance. Every day that $16,000 hangs over me."

Man, high school is wild.

I like this kid's view on life. My mom once told me I was the result of angry make up sex after a heated physical argument where my mom stabbed my dad in the knee (an injury that haunts him to this day).

From now on I'm going to say "I'm a creating of rage and violence"

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    it makes you wonder if some of the people in your life were conceived over a kink and if it impacts their personality (it doesn't but that'd be a wild world)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    All I know about my conception is that it was in a cabin

This discussion has been closed.