As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who Watches HBO's [Watchmen]?

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Wait a second.
    There is some fucking significance to a character named for Bass Reeves and a character taking her name from Lady Trieu teaming up isn't there.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Gustav wrote: »
    Wait a second.
    There is some fucking significance to a character named for Bass Reeves and a character taking her name from Lady Trieu teaming up isn't there.
    her daughter's dream vividly recalls the trauma of the war, and trieu's reaction to it - almost pleased that her 'feet still hurt' - suggests more than protection or safeguarding. i thought vengeance. which would fit in well considering will's father's backstory... i loved the way this episode dealt with the idea of legacy thematically.

i also loved lube man, and the malformed foetus crab-potting. also, i know the inferences like this have been a little loose, but it seems like veidt is on the moon?

lots to think about. love the superman idea. trieu's machine 'tells time,' and she very specifically needed the farm at the end of those three minutes. it must see the future in granular detail

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well wasn't this a delightfully bonkers episode.
    Petey calling the Minutemen show "garbage" was delightful.

Angela and the boss lady speaking Vietnamese to each other was also delightful.

And Veidt using a trebuchet to dispose of the old servants' corpses was delightful as well.

• Options
    also, promo for next week's episode:

https://youtu.be/2nxVx2nL6bE

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I'm glad at least one other person commented on the
    Industrialist buying up farm land from a childless couple literally just as a mysterious object fell out of the sky onto it. I was screaming.

I did not think of the clock being essentially an oracle, but that would make some serious sense.

Trieu's goal definitely reads like some form of revenge, or would it possibly fucking with the time stream to stop Vietnam from being won by america? We're almost to the halfway point and things remain trippy as hell, gonna have to start unraveling it soon.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I am like barely a step away from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PSueHOY-Jk

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So we have
    two enemies of America together to take revenge on what America did to their race.
    Veidt wanting to escape from what seems like a hell dimension (made by Manhattan?)

Am I still on the right track on what's happening here?

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I wish I could deal with the problems in my life in the same way that Veidt launches corpses. :P :snap:

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, the second Peteypedia entry for this week.

"Scale - 1:1"

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of opening that second one at work and it took a second to resolve what I was seeing and close the tab

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    It's been 12 minutes and I'm already so happy with this episode

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Hot damn, this show just keeps delivering.

• Options
    This acoustic guitar cover of Careless Whisper is exactly my shit

• Options
    Well shit, y'all
    This was an episode

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Ep. 5.
    Well, there goes my theory that Trieu was the one who had Veidt locked up somewhere.

Also; I'm semi-ashamed that I didn't anticipate the 7K getting sicced on Wade until the van pulled up to his house.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Episode 5
    was that a moon of fucking Jupiter Veidt was on? Thought I saw the big red spot on the planet in the sky

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Episode 5
    was that a moon of fucking Jupiter Veidt was on? Thought I saw the big red spot on the planet in the sky
    As soon as he landed on ice I said "Ganymede?", then it showed the planet in the background and I said "Ganymede!"

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    If this show threads the needle of what I think it’s going for I think this is gunna be my favorite season of tv second to Twin Peaks The Return

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    This show knows how to use music, which shouldn't be that surprising, given Lindelof's other shows, but it's still good to see.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    One thing I like about this show is how it reveals information
    There are twists in the plot, and reveals that pull back the curtain and show us things we thought were true were not true, and they aren't played with any particular bombast. Looking Glass sits in that chair and asks if the Senator is even trying to hide his voice, and the mask comes off like nothing had happened. Ozymandias launches out of the sky and onto a moon, and he gets to work. The show doesn't revel in the idea that they've tricked us; it gives us the clues, and doles out the answers when the story needs them to appear, and moves on. It's really refreshing!

And it's doing all of this with small, relatively unimportant pieces of information, while the bigger picture is still...missing. We don't have the pieces yet, to know what Ozymandias's role in the story is, or what Will and Lady Trieu are doing, or what the Seventh Kavalry's ultimate goals are. Or maybe we do, and nobody's quite put them together yet.

I don't appreciate being conditioned to go, "oh noooooo" every time I hear a fucking clock start ticking, though

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    One thing I like about this show is how it reveals information
    There are twists in the plot, and reveals that pull back the curtain and show us things we thought were true were not true, and they aren't played with any particular bombast. Looking Glass sits in that chair and asks if the Senator is even trying to hide his voice, and the mask comes off like nothing had happened. Ozymandias launches out of the sky and onto a moon, and he gets to work. The show doesn't revel in the idea that they've tricked us; it gives us the clues, and doles out the answers when the story needs them to appear, and moves on. It's really refreshing!

And it's doing all of this with small, relatively unimportant pieces of information, while the bigger picture is still...missing. We don't have the pieces yet, to know what Ozymandias's role in the story is, or what Will and Lady Trieu are doing, or what the Seventh Kavalry's ultimate goals are. Or maybe we do, and nobody's quite put them together yet.

I don't appreciate being conditioned to go, "oh noooooo" every time I hear a fucking clock start ticking, though

after this ep I turned to my girlfriend and went “how am I three steps ahead of this show so often and yet I still have NO IDEA WHAT IS HAPPENING”

• Options
  • Options
    I look forward to the YouTube super cut of the clock ticking getting incrementally faster with every episode

• Options
    Next episode promo:

https://youtu.be/r521gvlHF-Y
    oh I love Assassin's Creed

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I look forward to the YouTube super cut of the clock ticking getting incrementally faster with every episode

Watchmen But The Clock Ticks Faster Every Time They Say Ticktock

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Watchmen But The Clock Ticks Faster Every Time They Say Ticktock

don't stop, make it pop. DJ, blow my speakers up tonight

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    They should also use that song somehow.

edit: Master level trolling would be to use a totally different Kesha song from that album.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Re the servants
    so Vedit's servants are probably clones of Osterman and his girlfriend yeah?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Re the servants

I don't think there's anything to indicate that's what they are.

• Options
    I like that there was a Sturgill Simpson song in this episode, even though it wasn't the one I wanted

But perhaps they're just priming the pump

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Re the servants

I don't think there's anything to indicate that's what they are.

Its a guess obviously, but
    if Manhatten built the prison and is the god the warden refers to they would be made in God's image, something I could see him pulling when he tries to make his own life as per the movie and it would fit with the general "the comedian was right" feel the show has so far.

It would also explain Veidt's perverse delight in making them fatally reinact Manhattan's creation.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    It also explains
    the servant massacre. Confounded by Manhattan's Warden he dresses up as he was in his greatest triumph over John and murders a dozen simulacra or so

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    It also explains
    the servant massacre. Confounded by Manhattan's Warden he dresses up as he was in his greatest triumph over John and murders a dozen simulacra or so
    He did also need material for his rescue note.

• Options
    Anybody else catch that we only saw part of the rescue note?
    It said, "SAVE ME" but there was more after. It looked like the first letter could've been a D - Doc?

• Options
    Whole show is worth it for the 1.5 seconds of Jeremy Irons exclaiming "Phenomenal!"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    just gonna go ahead and
    Mr. G wrote: »
    hey I just wanna make sure if any of you love this show and did not watch The Leftovers you gotta get on that shit like yesterday

mention that again

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Alright I just caught up and I am desperate for answers and could they please just air the rest of the episodes tonight, thanks

Spoilers up to and including Episode 5
    While talking about this with @Grey Ghost as I try to process all the everything, he raised an important point

Which is if Will is actually Hooded Justice, and his parents were killed as they left a movie theatre leaving him an orphan, there's an....obvious Batman allegory here

Which uh

Makes Angela into Batman Beyond I guess!!!

Personally excited to see if Will has a cool dog and a mansion and a nice butler in the Animus trip next episode

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I am getting slightly sick of the go-to of casual cruelty to underline how fucked the universe is

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    was the
    info in the senator's veidt tape known to us (the audience if they were familiar with the graphic novel) already? I forgot what was already explicit about the incident

also
    judd as actually in cahoots with the kavalry is a little disappointing to me. i was hoping for the "racism is complicated / the klan robe was a family heirloom" line to play out... wade's suggestion about that in the previous episode now rings more as foreshadowing apologism

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    was the
    info in the senator's veidt tape known to us (the audience if they were familiar with the graphic novel) already? I forgot what was already explicit about the incident
    Yes. The ending of the comic series is explicitly explained that Veidt is doing this hoax to stop the Cold War