As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Last clause precludes civil disobedience against unjust laws too.

I mean, it isn't legally binding.

Doesn't matter.
    It's baking the mindset into kids that gave us our illegal immigrant detention camps.
    That laws are inherently just and should not be challenged.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Forgetting that dual nationalities are a thing, apparently

Our pollies are good at that.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Coincidentally, the school pledge issue can also be solved with a letter from your mum.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Coincidentally, the school pledge issue can also be solved with a letter from your mum.

Or seven letters!

Start with an F, then maybe a U, most likely with a C after that...

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Or seven letters!

Start with an F, then maybe a U, most likely with a C after that...

I dunno. I think just those first two would be sufficient.

Efficiency!

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The joke was the politician whose defence as to whether they had dual citizenship was a letter from their mum.

Probably this one: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/former-federal-minister-matt-canavan-has-stopped-blaming-his-mum-for-his-dual-citizenship-2017-9

discrider on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The new honest australian government ad is pretty, pretty great

https://youtu.be/6BmbvTvFQ3g

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    43% of sports grants funded were inelligable, mostly due to starting before they'd signed the grant.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Is the audio weird on that video?

• Options

It's not even satire though.
    Just news.

I feel so powerless.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Just news.

I feel so powerless.

Organize. Everything is politics.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Just news.

I feel so powerless.

Organize. Everything is politics.

That would be why I am powerless, yes.
    Politics involves being social to some degree.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    In the US there's a pledge before school each day but case law is very specific that its optional. In practice that is not always the case
    I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands one nation under God indivisible with Liberty and Justice for all.

The bold was added in the 50s and is the most controversial part. The rest dates to the 1890s but wasn't really universal until the 1940s

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    So, it looks like the Australian Government (and it's bureaucracies) has decided that being corrupt, stupid, and incompetent, wasn't sufficiently "American", they've decided to go the ridiculously petty too.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/rfs-firefighter-sees-free-beers-flow-in-after-slamming-prime-minister/news-story/cd3b75bfd298c188fb196d3e064c2129

The RFS Firefighter who drove by a news crew during the fire, and told them what he thought of the Prime Minister, has been sacked from his volunteer position.

While I understand it pushing a boundary to call out the PM, given the circumstances at the time, to everyone involved in the decision to remove someone who put his ass on the line to save houses (and apparently had damage to his own), can join ScoMo, in going and getting fucked.

At worst, he should have been given a warning not to do it again. At best, he should be getting a commendation from the PM, to show that he's at least taken some of the criticism on board, and might actually start acting like a fucking leader, and maybe being pro-active about fire control. Both in prevention, and in implementing policies to support firefighting efforts in advance, so they're not dicking around while the inferno's rage.

At least, as the story covers, Parker doesn't have to buy his own beer.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    He was actually sacked on the day it happened. He said he got back with the truck and was told he was sacked. Given the short turn around time I’m guessing it wasn’t anyone under Scotty from marketing who made the call, but embarrassed RFS management.

I mean, it was a volunteer position. He wasn’t being paid, and was out of pocket for some of his gear as well. So he’s no worse off financially, and probably better off.

The biggest losers are the Government, losing a volunteer firefighter and getting additional bad press.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    He was actually sacked on the day it happened. He said he got back with the truck and was told he was sacked. Given the short turn around time I’m guessing it wasn’t anyone under Scotty from marketing who made the call, but embarrassed RFS management.

I mean, it was a volunteer position. He wasn’t being paid, and was out of pocket for some of his gear as well. So he’s no worse off financially, and probably better off.

The biggest losers are the Government, losing a volunteer firefighter and getting additional bad press.

Given that not a minute later in the video in which he went off at the PM he was showing collapsing from exhaustion, it seems like the community he was fighting fires in is substantially worse off, as well.

It seems to me like he should get an apology, be reinstated, and whoever decided to make that call should be told that avoiding political embarrassment is not part of the RFS responsibility. Unless it was actually someone outside RFS making that call, in which case they should be fired

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The RFS just tweeted that he’s still a member of the RFS and wasn’t sacked.

So I’m guessing someone who didn’t have authority to do it told him and well it’s all a big, public mess now.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular

The feigned outrage of Government ministers has been pretty rich today.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    Solvent wrote: »

Cool. Looking forward to the Murdoch paper headlines like "Labor responsible for power failures", and "Power cost increases due to Labor".

Don't get me wrong, I think it's about fucking time, but I can absolutely see this as a stick that the conservatives are going to whack the crap out of Labor for.

A deft and savvy political party could possibly navigate this, especially if our media landscape weren't Rupert dominated, but I've seen no signs of deftness or savviness from this Labor party.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

Cool. Looking forward to the Murdoch paper headlines like "Labor responsible for power failures", and "Power cost increases due to Labor".

Don't get me wrong, I think it's about fucking time, but I can absolutely see this as a stick that the conservatives are going to whack the crap out of Labor for.

A deft and savvy political party could possibly navigate this, especially if our media landscape weren't Rupert dominated, but I've seen no signs of deftness or savviness from this Labor party.

I can't see how any party could avoid these headlines without not going into renewables at all.
    So I don't think this is fair criticism of Labor

• Options

I can't see how any party could avoid these headlines without not going into renewables at all.

Regarding the narrative, it's not a fair criticism. Won't stop it happening, and won't stop a significant number of people believing it.

Regarding the lack of deftness of Labor, I'm open to being surprised, but based on what we've seen, them navigating the media landscape to be seen as a better option than ScoMo hasn't yet been shown.

• Options

Regarding the narrative, it's not a fair criticism. Won't stop it happening, and won't stop a significant number of people believing it.

Regarding the lack of deftness of Labor, I'm open to being surprised, but based on what we've seen, them navigating the media landscape to be seen as a better option than ScoMo hasn't yet been shown.

What I meant was, the deftness or otherwise of Labor navigating the media landscape will be entirely based on other issues.
    I don't see how you could implement renewables without conservative criticism being 'But burning shit is cheaper!', aside that probably not being the case anymore.
    You'd have to point at the bushfires and now how expensive those are, and get them to accept long-term impacts

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Say what you may about Kevin Rudd and/or the FriendlyJordies (though I'm a fan), here's a... what I think to be a fairly candid interview between the two of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kznT8Sa6RjY&ab_channel=friendlyjordies

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    God, friendlyjordies might be one of the most insufferable people on this earth.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    AJR wrote: »
    God, friendlyjordies might be one of the most insufferable people on this earth.
    *Looks at American Media*

Hard disagree.

Fantastic
  • Options
    There are worse people in this world. I'm just saying, if I never see jordies put on a wig and scream in a vaguely racist accent I'll probably be at least 10% happier.

Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    AJR wrote: »
    There are worse people in this world. I'm just saying, if I never see jordies put on a wig and scream in a vaguely racist accent I'll probably be at least 10% happier.

I understand. Look I enjoy Jordy but am fully aware that many people find what he does obnoxious but I often find that what he has to say be relevant, meaningful, usually not said by any other sources and to me usually amusing!

With that said, I really enjoyed that interview and thought some points discussed in there were good value. Take that for what you will.

Edit: Fair point with the accent stuff though.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    I don't disagree that he sometimes has relevant stuff to say, and he helps hold the government to task for the bad things they do. But he's obviously very pro labor, to the extent that he rarely criticises them and vehemently defends them, and that bothers me. I don't want to see him be buddy buddy with Rudd, and not challenge him on anything.

Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    The guy is a dickhead, but he’s put out plenty of stuff that’s been useful for me in getting mates to drift to the left. He’s like a small scale Australian Joe Rogan gateway drug to breadtube.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    That's kinda my take on jordie. I think I'm honestly probably a bit too old to be in that styles target audience but he does cover content in a way which can be great to explain ideas to friends. And I'll be honest when I have seen his. Ideas some of the slams can be cathartic even if the overall style bugs me.

• Options
    The grift continues:

Re jordie I've only seen a few of his videos and fortunately havent seen the racist garbage, but lordy are his voices ableist.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

the hell

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    ...please, for the love of all things holy, can we have a Federal ICAC. Come the hell on.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I mean, not to put too fine a point on it, Aus has one hell of a corruption problem in general, but it's certainly been impressive watching this unfold.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Don't you all realise Corona is at this very moment creeping it's way into your homes and lives??

How you can you think about such trivial things as massive country-wide rorts and porkbarreling when you, your loved ones and all you care for might be struck dead in an instant by this insidious disease. (From China no less! PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!!)

Kelor on
This discussion has been closed.