As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ghost Recon Wildlands] : Way Too Many Buttstocks

1171819202123»

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Wait, when did Jon Bernthal become the villain ? Under the universal theory that Jon Bernthal makes everything he's in 20% better, BREAKPOINT stands to be a durned fine game.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    He went rogue in Operation Greenstone, post the Wildlands DLC. I don't think we know why yet.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    He went rogue in Operation Greenstone, post the Wildlands DLC. I don't think we know why yet.

He was 90 percent there in the DLC.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Wait, when did Jon Bernthal become the villain ? Under the universal theory that Jon Bernthal makes everything he's in 20% better, BREAKPOINT stands to be a durned fine game.

He's so dreamy, but he's a villain. . . I'm so conflicted!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »

He's so dreamy, but he's a villain. . . I'm so conflicted!

Or is he the only one who sees us for the monsters we've become and he's really the hero trying to save us from ourselves?!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    ... Jon Bernthal is a cool dude and everything but he has the aesthetic appeal of a stack of cinder blocks

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man that's a yikes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure i would use the word hilarious.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean Assassins's creed since at least origins has had similar ridiculous micros, but putting it in a psuedo multiplayer game like breakpoint is a hard pass for me. Like no even if I don't use them, I'm not encouraging the practice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's way less egregious in the AC games, because they're a lot less common and also are in their own store page that like, you literally will never see if you don't access it specifically in-game. I have no doubt that the store is presented in a more integral way in Ghost Recon.

• Options
    Ubisoft games have always been very good at having tons of microtransactions that you can completely ignore. Hopefully, this keeps to that trend.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Wildlands added a lot of stuff like that too in the in-game store. And the only way to get the in-game currency is apparently to buy it with real money. Or if there is a way to earn it in-game, I never found it.

• Options
    So a friend of mine and I are playing. We both have the gold edition but for some reason when he kills people, he is getting a +50% bonus exp reward. It's not from food or anything. Anyone know what's up with that?

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Just a reminder that Breakpoint is on Uplay+ and it's the Ultimate ($120) edition.

EDIT: This is one good looking game.

?.png

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

I thought the whole point of this game is that you're trapped on an island surrounded by crack troops and a drone army, and you have no support or backup coming, so you have to carefully sneak your way around, using whatever you can find and taking down installations to gradually weaken your enemy until you can take them down.

So why the hell would they give you the option to just buy guns and level boosters to automatically make your character stronger without going through the challenge of going through the world to do it yourself. I haven't seen a game undermine its premise with microtransactions this hard since Dead Space 3.

T-Danger on
  • Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Just a reminder that Breakpoint is on Uplay+ and it's the Ultimate ($120) edition.

?.png

How's performance on PC?

I ask because Wildlands remains the only game I need to turn down to 1080p to get a semi-decent framerate on my GTX 1080. Which is crazy.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »

I thought the whole point of this game is that you're trapped on an island surrounded by crack troops and a drone army, and you have no support or backup coming, so you have to carefully sneak your way around, using whatever you can find and taking down installations to gradually weaken your enemy until you can take them down.

So why the hell would they give you the option to just buy guns and level boosters to automatically make your character stronger without going through the challenge of going through the world to do it yourself. I haven't seen a game undermine its premise with microtransactions this hard since Dead Space 3.

You have no support or backup, but there's a social hub with hundreds of Ghosts running around. Sounds like an army to me! This game looks pretty, pretty trash in a lot of ways.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Ive listened to upper echelon 's take on breakpoint and he pretty much has my take point for point....

I also find the title of the game apt for my own breakpoint on this microtransaction garbage.

https://youtu.be/vJvsOJkIDI8

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Jazz wrote: »

?.png

How's performance on PC?

I ask because Wildlands remains the only game I need to turn down to 1080p to get a semi-decent framerate on my GTX 1080. Which is crazy.

I run at 1080 on a 1070 so probably not a lot of help. Getting fairly solid 45-60 fps on very high settings. Haven't been in any huge combat, so have yet to see if I get any frame drops.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options

?.png

How's performance on PC?

I run at 1080 on a 1070 so probably not a lot of help. Getting fairly solid 45-60 fps on very high settings. Haven't been in any huge combat, so have yet to see if I get any frame drops.

At least comparable, then; certainly in the same ballpark, or near enough. Awesome, thanks :)

• Options
    The microtransactions are pretty much the same from Wildlands, just shortcuts for lazy people or those with more money than patience and time. You can unlock pretty much everything just by playing.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is the combat/health with enemies the same? do it show health bars and can you still headshot folk?

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    Is the combat/health with enemies the same? do it show health bars and can you still headshot folk?

Headshots still work, apparently, even if the enemy is multiple levels above you. There's a "helmet = two shots" needed that I don't remember from the first one, though.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    What are the AI team mates like?

Are they like the wildlands ones (so not very good)?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

IIRC, there are no AI team mates in single player.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »

IIRC, there are no AI team mates in single player.

Didn't they substitute AI drones that do everything except repeat the same bad jokes over and over?

• Options

Headshots still work, apparently, even if the enemy is multiple levels above you. There's a "helmet = two shots" needed that I don't remember from the first one, though.

That was in the first one IIRC, you got a helmet icon above the chevron when they were marked. It was only Unidad soldiers who wore them, though, not the sicarios.

• Options
    You do synch shots with drone in single player. The game really wants you to play with others, making the main camp full of randos and people off your friends list (even if they aren't there in their own game). My internet is pretty unreliable so been playing solo and it's pretty damn difficult without the former AI teammates to rez you (the only thing they were good for in Wildlands).

• Options
    edited October 2019

That was in the first one IIRC, you got a helmet icon above the chevron when they were marked. It was only Unidad soldiers who wore them, though, not the sicarios.

I think that by the point that I started seriously engaging Unidad I was using an anti-material rifle that didn't care about that mechanic.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Someone said earlier in the thread they added back the AI squadmates after some non-friendly feedback.

• Options
    Annnd I busted my install trying to move it to SSD. Game has heinous load times.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Annnd I busted my install trying to move it to SSD. Game has heinous load times.

I had to do the same with The Division 2.

On the plus side putting it on SSD cleared up so many little performance issues.

• Options
    AI is super aggressive but not too bright.

?.png

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    AI is super aggressive but not too bright.

?.png

It can be enjoyable though.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So can you kill the bad guy right off the bat at the helicopter at the start? I shot at him but died and when respawning the helicopter was already gone.

I did kill the guys who were still there though. Didn't drop any 150 loot unfortunately.

• Options
    Yeah baby, 15 minutes in and I've already found a LMG. Now I have a Machine-Gun. HO HO HO

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So can you kill the bad guy right off the bat at the helicopter at the start? I shot at him but died and when respawning the helicopter was already gone.

I did kill the guys who were still there though. Didn't drop any 150 loot unfortunately.

So I started a new game.
    You totally can kill him. If you don't go to the second crash site and instead go directly to the third you get the invite to the secret base and can continue there normally. Then open chests and whatnot to get 10,000 and buy the underbarrel grenade launcher. Head back to the second crash site and after the cutscene grenade the hell out of the helicopter. You can blow it up and he'll die and you'll get his guns.

Now to play the rest of the game.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The Terminator event and a deep PS4 sale got me to buy Breakpoint, and it isn't that bad. It is, in many ways, an inferior game to Wildlands with a lot of regression and bugs that weren't present in the earlier game.

Overall, though, I much prefer the "Shoot them in the head and they die" stealth gameplay of Ghost Recon to the bullet sponges of the Division. Which makes it even more impactful when fiction's best bullet sponges show up, and you are in the Sarah Conner role.

Phillishere on