Options

The General [chat] Thread

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Crusader Kings (769-1453)
    Chanus wrote: »
    one time i just looked at a paradox game and i literally died
    And then another person dies, and you are reborn without memories of your past life, forcing you to confront incarnations of your past life to subsume them.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So It Goes wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    My boss who is the only six digit earner in our department got his stimulus check already
    curse this cruel world.

...how

kids? i guess
    who knows
    I know a couple of people who had them show up as pending in their account first thing this morning
    Other one was my BFFs sister who has an entire gaggle of children
    basically the feds favor breeders.
    gotta be it.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Another cause of concern for the censors was that Marion was shown flushing a toilet, with its contents (torn-up note paper) fully visible. No flushing toilet had appeared in mainstream film and television in the United States at that time.

reading the wiki entries for old movies is wild

It's just so weird in hindsight to note that stuff like Married with Children, which started in the late 80s, was like risque for being the first show to have people talk about going to the bathroom on TV on a regular basis.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    aqgKvY9l.jpg

Beasto made shepherds pie (More like shepherds casserole) and it is....it is so, so good

Shepherd's pie or, as we call it here in Quebec, "China pie".

Pate Chinois is slightly different as traditionally it's corn-only in terms of veggies.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    If we met aliens that raised what were basically non sentient humans for meat honestly I'd be relieved that we didn't have to explain our continued elective carnivorous diet.

Avoid at least one awkward convo

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    aqgKvY9l.jpg

Beasto made shepherds pie (More like shepherds casserole) and it is....it is so, so good

Shepherd's pie or, as we call it here in Quebec, "China pie".

Pate Chinois is slightly different as traditionally it's corn-only in terms of veggies.

It's a type of Shepherd's pie. I'd say it's close enough.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The aliens are all apologetic that their food looks like us and we're like "seriously it's no big deal. you know what, we are adventurous, can we try some?!" and then they get REALLY uncomfortable.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    The aliens are all apologetic that their food looks like us and we're like "seriously it's no big deal. you know what, we are adventurous, can we try some?!" and then they get REALLY uncomfortable.

start getting really worried when you also get a thing back from Ancestry.com 2200AD Edition saying you're distantly related to your meal

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Us: "Can we eat it and fuck it?"

Horrified Aliens: "In... in that order?"

Us: "ah, so you are also a species of taste"

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Another cause of concern for the censors was that Marion was shown flushing a toilet, with its contents (torn-up note paper) fully visible. No flushing toilet had appeared in mainstream film and television in the United States at that time.

It's just so weird in hindsight to note that stuff like Married with Children, which started in the late 80s, was like risque for being the first show to have people talk about going to the bathroom on TV on a regular basis.

i just don't get why a toilet flushing was a big deal??

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Stellaris (20XX)
    My boss who is the only six digit earner in our department got his stimulus check already
    curse this cruel world.

...how

kids? i guess
    who knows
    I know a couple of people who had them show up as pending in their account first thing this morning
    gotta be it.

roommates have a pending credit for it and multiple kiddos as well so maybe that's it

• Options
    my boss took the whole two of us that had to be at work today for free milkshakes though
    so i guess it was a win
    gimme that stimulus money you bastard

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    curse this cruel world.

...how

kids? i guess
    who knows
    gotta be it.

roommates have a pending credit for it and multiple kiddos as well so maybe that's it

Mine hasn’t shown yet

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

i just don't get why a toilet flushing was a big deal??

Censors put flushing toilets on a no-no list and to ignore that list was to defy the censors. It didn't matter if the flushing toilet was empty, power was being threatened by free expression.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Victoria (1836-1936)
    victoria is the best paradox game series which is why there will never be a victoria 3 because paradox only makes bad games now

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    curse this cruel world.

...how

kids? i guess
    who knows
    gotta be it.

Mine hasn’t shown yet

when did you complete your 2019 taxes?
    we have to connect the dots.
    solve the formula

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    the numbers mason
    what do they mean

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Europa Universalis (1444-1821)
    P10 wrote: »
    victoria is the best paradox game series which is why there will never be a victoria 3 because paradox only makes bad games now

but p10, I hated victoria!!

*sobs uncontrollably*

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Stellaris (20XX)
    curse this cruel world.

...how

kids? i guess
    who knows
    gotta be it.

Mine hasn’t shown yet

solve the formula

Mine haven't.

I finished my taxes the first week of February.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    curse this cruel world.

...how

kids? i guess
    who knows
    gotta be it.

Mine hasn’t shown yet

solve the formula

Mine haven't.

well you have no children

that we know of.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Stellaris (20XX)
    If we met aliens that raised what were basically non sentient humans for meat honestly I'd be relieved that we didn't have to explain our continued elective carnivorous diet.

Avoid at least one awkward convo

I know I keep coming back to that shitty reddit scifi story (the Deathworlders) but there were so many nice touches in that big pile of shit, and this being an actual plot point was great

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    I have proudly been CK2 free for 6 years now. I've put over 1000 hours into playing it... those were dark times indeed. Trying not to relapse, but all the damn writeup stories make it so hard..

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Stellaris (20XX)
    It's just a shame it was done more like "oooo all these inferior alien races who don't eat meat and are sisssy vegetarians aren't as strong as humans who eat nine steaks a day!"

Arch on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    I have proudly been CK2 free for 6 years now. I've put over 1000 hours into playing it... those were dark times indeed. Trying not to relapse, but all the damn writeup stories make it so hard..

You know that they're putting out biweekly challenges that, if you complete them, unlock cosmetics for characters in the upcoming CK3?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    humans who eat nine steaks a day!

Now this is the kind of sci-fi I can get behind.

• Options
    Victoria (1836-1936)
    MrMister wrote: »

*sobs uncontrollably*
    i only played one game of victoria 2 (as japan (of course)) and to dethrone the US and U.K i had to invade and annex New England and the Midlands so I could be #1 scorer
    perfect...

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    vgnpqml5gxcl.jpeg

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Who was it that installed Mordor: The Depths of Djenol to scratch an itch a while back?

Did you ever try Decklin's other game Demise: Rise of Ku'tan? Is it any good? Any other gridders you know of that scratch a similar itch as Mordor 1?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Stellaris (20XX)
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    curse this cruel world.

...how

kids? i guess
    who knows
    gotta be it.

Mine hasn’t shown yet

solve the formula

Mine haven't.

well you have no children

that we know of.

I do claim this orphanage though for the tax breaks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's kind of too bad that FF7R is being discussed mostly as a remake (not that that's not a legit, and interesting, conversation too)

but it really does a lot of things that I like in RPGs just in general

- it builds a really cool, interesting world, and then lets you spend time mucking about in it
    - It's very dedicated to showing not telling. The recent war with Wutai is informing lots of peoples politics, and we can infer that it was a nasty, bloody war, but nobody's just telling us that.
    - it sort of has a world-ending threat... But the threat is played out very locally, for relatively low stakes, and nobody's quite sure how far that threat is out, or what should be done about it.
    - All of the major characters feel like the protagonists of their own story.
    - It plays around with various genres without getting tied down by them - Midgard is kinda cyberpunk, kinda steampunk, kinda fantasy
    - Cloud's a main character who often functions as a silent protagonist... But he also has a surprising amount of characterization hidden in there, and you don't just a help screen of his whole backstory or why he seems off sometimes, you have to figure it out. And while you can make choices with talking to some characters, his core personality is still set.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Stellaris (20XX)
    Kana wrote: »
    It's kind of too bad that FF7R is being discussed mostly as a remake (not that that's not a legit, and interesting, conversation too)

but it really does a lot of things that I like in RPGs just in general

- it builds a really cool, interesting world, and then lets you spend time mucking about in it
    - It's very dedicated to showing not telling. The recent war with Wutai is informing lots of peoples politics, and we can infer that it was a nasty, bloody war, but nobody's just telling us that.
    - it sort of has a world-ending threat... But the threat is played out very locally, for relatively low stakes, and nobody's quite sure how far that threat is out, or what should be done about it.
    - All of the major characters feel like the protagonists of their own story.
    - It plays around with various genres without getting tied down by them - Midgard is kinda cyberpunk, kinda steampunk, kinda fantasy
    - Cloud's a main character who often functions as a silent protagonist... But he also has a surprising amount of characterization hidden in there, and you don't just a help screen of his whole backstory or why he seems off sometimes, you have to figure it out. And while you can make choices with talking to some characters, his core personality is still set.

Watching Cohh today he made actually a good comparison.

Cloud is like Geralt. Tries to be quiet, stoic, and disconnected while really not being able to for numerous reasons.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Stellaris (20XX)
    sometimes i want to shout out ALL VIDEO GAMES ARE GARBAGE as snidely as possible even though i don't believe it which of course makes me a weird weirdo

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

You know that they're putting out biweekly challenges that, if you complete them, unlock cosmetics for characters in the upcoming CK3?

Oh good god they're making a 3rd!!?! I guess I will never need to go outside again. Maybe just a quick game as Isle of Man wouldn't hurt... always wanted to turn the far east Welsh...

StarZapper on
  • Options
    Victoria (1836-1936)
    before I can play ff7r i have to play ff7 and before i can play ff7 i have to play trails of cold steel 3 and before I can play trails of cold steel 3 i have to finish tokyo xanadu ex+ and by the time I finish those cold steel 4 will probably have been localized so I'll have to play that too and basically i've got ff7r on the docket for 2030, hopefully just in time to play it before ff7rr comes out

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Europa Universalis (1444-1821)
    MrMister wrote: »

*sobs uncontrollably*
    i only played one game of victoria 2 (as japan (of course)) and to dethrone the US and U.K i had to invade and annex New England and the Midlands so I could be #1 scorer
    perfect...

I played as one of the Boer countries because I wanted a peaceful game to learn the economic engine, and heard they were good for that

But then I thought the economic engine was bad and it made me sad

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

The Hayes Code was bananas

Like the whole section at the start where they keep moving around the bed? Was that way because they couldn't show to people in bed with their feet up at the same time

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Apparently larches like wet soil, so I stuck some moss around the pot to help retain moisture. I also wired the branches up a touch to give them a bit of droop.

Before:
    bdwunfgdby4v.jpg

After:
    f9xbd2i073kp.jpg

v pleased

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Stellaris (20XX)
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

jesus DP

just handing a recovering meth addict a pipe and some crystal huh?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    FF7R as an act of storytelling, worldbuilding, and characterization is first class. FF7R visually and aurally is amazing with a few jarring points of lack of polish. FF7R as a game is... pretty good, but not earth shattering. Overall it's simultaneously incredibly easy to recommend while also being incredibly easy to dismiss "GOTY, masterpiece in every way" as a bit of hype blindness.

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.