As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Let is Snow

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    You can build R/W Zenith Cycle with no rares and it would do fine.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Man I wish Terror of the Peaks was not a bad card

Because right now it just sorta isn't very good. I cannot get it to work. It needs haste.

incidentally that Terror of the Peaks and Baneslayer Angel exist in this Standard and are... like not good cards? Is crazy

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

yes but then you're playing solitaire instead of MTG

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Good, the worst part is the other person

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Ooof, I just had an opponent punt a game because they forgot that Stormwing Entity has a CMC of 5, and activated their Ugin for -2 thinking it would clear my board.

Also Ugin is such a house in Standard like goddamn. I was absolutely not coming back from that Ugin had they activated it correctly.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

magic might not be the game for you
    Solar wrote: »

Because right now it just sorta isn't very good. I cannot get it to work. It needs haste.

incidentally that Terror of the Peaks and Baneslayer Angel exist in this Standard and are... like not good cards? Is crazy

terror of the peaks is a limited house, and a card in need of a deck in standard

baneslayer is way too slow for standard, and has been for a long time, it also doesn't DO anything aside from turn sideways

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    baneslayer can be an ok control finisher, much like Lyra

but right now control decks have better, faster, stronger finishers like Uro and dream trawler

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've seen a few experimental Terror decks, one that uses Genesis Ultimatum to poop a bunch of permanents onto the battlefield, potentially including Terror, Fiery Emancipation, Beanstalk Giant, Uro, etc., and can sometimes be a one-spell kill. I'd like to try tinkering with a bunch of Quasiduplicates/Mythos to make a bunch of Terror copies. Maybe even Mirror March.

But yeah those don't seem like they would be top or 2nd-tier decks.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

terror of the peaks is a limited house, and a card in need of a deck in standard

baneslayer is way too slow for standard, and has been for a long time, it also doesn't DO anything aside from turn sideways

Yeah but that's what I mean. They're both too slow, and it's crazy that we're at that point in Standard

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Baneslayer seems like much more of a sideboard card these days against aggro.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Baneslayer seems like much more of a sideboard card these days against aggro.

In a lot of formats I think that would be true, but in current Standard I think if your turn five is Baneslayer and their turn five is Embercleave you're still gonna lose.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Or zenith fires is the deck for me

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Baneslayer in standard was played as a win con for control decks right?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Baneslayer in standard was played as a win con for control decks right?

It was more a top-end for midrange decks and anti-aggro sideboard for control, at least based on PT2010 and 2011.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    any recommendations for a budget MTGA standard deck? preferably something i can upgrade from the starter decks you are given?

@Snowbear I tried to use cards that came in the starter decks as much as possible, and only added uncommons from sets that are not rotating out of standard in the fall so that if you're just starting out and don't have many wildcards you'll at least know you have these cards for the next year.

h8202shqe7dg.png

Uncommons to craft (in order of how useful I think they are)
    4x Sprite Dragon
    4x Riddleform
    4x Heartfire Immolator

Common or starter deck alternatives if you don't have the wildcards:
    Chandra's Spitfire
    Spellgorger Weird
    1x Dreadhorde Arcanist (starter deck)

Rare Cards that would be useful if you wanted to craft them:
    Bonecrusher Giant (damage instant + a good body, insane value in one card)
    Stormwing Entity (a lot of turns this will be a 3/3 flyer for 1U, with prowess and scry 2 on top of that)

I don't really recommend crafting the shock lands (dual lands that give you the option to pay 2 life to enter untapped) at this point as they're rotating out in the fall, but if you have any red/blue dual lands absolutely include them, and Temple of Enlightenment (red/blue scry land) just got reprinted so that's safe to craft.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    See i thought the rotation was just happening with the new core set coming out

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    any recommendations for a budget MTGA standard deck? preferably something i can upgrade from the starter decks you are given?

@Snowbear I tried to use cards that came in the starter decks as much as possible, and only added uncommons from sets that are not rotating out of standard in the fall so that if you're just starting out and don't have many wildcards you'll at least know you have these cards for the next year.

h8202shqe7dg.png

Uncommons to craft (in order of how useful I think they are)
    4x Sprite Dragon
    4x Riddleform
    4x Heartfire Immolator

Common or starter deck alternatives if you don't have the wildcards:
    Chandra's Spitfire
    Spellgorger Weird
    1x Dreadhorde Arcanist (starter deck)

Rare Cards that would be useful if you wanted to craft them:
    Bonecrusher Giant (damage instant + a good body, insane value in one card)
    Stormwing Entity (a lot of turns this will be a 3/3 flyer for 1U, with prowess and scry 2 on top of that)

I don't really recommend crafting the shock lands (dual lands that give you the option to pay 2 life to enter untapped) at this point as they're rotating out in the fall, but if you have any red/blue dual lands absolutely include them, and Temple of Enlightenment (red/blue scry land) just got reprinted so that's safe to craft.

Thanks for the list so much, its a big help!

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    ugin seems like fucking agony to play against. i have yet to play a game against it where it doesn't just win the second it hits the board

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    See i thought the rotation was just happening with the new core set coming out

Rotation always happens with the fall release, never before (with one historical exception).

• Options
    ugin seems like fucking agony to play against. i have yet to play a game against it where it doesn't just win the second it hits the board

Yeah Ugin is vile

• Options

I played a game where I managed to remove 2 Ugins back to back and was looking to close out but then Ugin number 3 came down

And it’s like really? Fuck you

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    A 7 mana card better win the game or close to it

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    He's 8 mana

• Options
    I made an all-artifact* deck specifically to stick it to all the bant ugin decks

of course, I haven't run into one with it since I made the deck, but some day...

(also I absolutely put Ugin in the deck, I'd be crazy not to)

*= two copies of All That Glitters for when I want to swing for a big finisher

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    He's 8 mana

Fat fingered on my phone, but yeah. Giant walkers are stronk for a reason

• Options
    I had a fun mostly-artifact deck with Steel Overseer and Ozolith before M21, might try to cook up a new version of it. Fun fact, if there are a bunch of +1/+1 counters on Ozolith and you don't have any creatures to make use of them, you can just creature-fy the Ozolith with Karn or Animating Faerie and smash face.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Might be hard to see in the image, but I finally did The Thing. Wurm'd a post-Scapeshift board.
    jezSDs4.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    eight mana "win the game" cards still aren't actually fun to play against tho

• Options
    Ugin is counterable and destroyable. If your opponent is straight ramp then they are vulnerable for at least five turns, if they are trying to control you out, then they will take many turns to cast him. He’s fine

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Ugin is counterable and destroyable. If your opponent is straight ramp then they are vulnerable for at least five turns, if they are trying to control you out, then they will take many turns to cast him. He’s fine

Yeah I'm just decrying the situation where my opponent had 3 ugins in hand

because a repeatable one-sided board wipe that doesn't trigger death effects sucks butts

edit: if his -x destroyed instead of exiled he'd be way more fair while still being op as fuck

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Yeah I'm just decrying the situation where my opponent had 3 ugins in hand

because a repeatable one-sided board wipe that doesn't trigger death effects sucks butts

Oh yeah absolutely. I was addressing complaints about the cards power level

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    @Snowbear another route to look at is, have you cracked any mythics/rares you'd like to mess with? Easy to stuff commons around some of them.

Arena should still be a bit kinder in matchups too when deck is low rares/low on meta cards

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Might be hard to see in the image, but I finally did The Thing. Wurm'd a post-Scapeshift board.
    jezSDs4.jpg

For future reference, you should have the option to view the battlefield after a match.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Currently finding lots of fun and profit with Snackdos. Turns out most people don't have plans for you getting your board set up by turn 3 and having them down by 6-7 by then.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    There's a leak out in the wild, supposedly by the same person who got Jeskai Narset right.
    Golgari Nissa 2BG

Landfall: Put a loyalty counter on Nissa

+1: Untap a land you control, it becomes a 3/3 elemental with haste and menace until EoT

-5: Put a creature CMC <= # of lands you control from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.

4 starting loyalty.

Seems pretty deece. With Fabled Passage in the format, or as long as there's another fetchland, she's a T5 reanimation spell that leaves a PW behind to keep churning out attackers, though she can't cheat out bigger stuff. And for a general golgari aggro plan, she's a decent beater that's really hard to destroy, so playing her T4 as a pseudo-questing beast seems reasonable.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    There's a leak out in the wild, supposedly by the same person who got Jeskai Narset right.
    Golgari Nissa 2BG

Landfall: Put a loyalty counter on Nissa

+1: Untap a land you control, it becomes a 3/3 elemental with haste and menace until EoT

-5: Put a creature CMC <= # of lands you control from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.

4 starting loyalty.

Seems pretty deece. With Fabled Passage in the format, or as long as there's another fetchland, she's a T5 reanimation spell that leaves a PW behind to keep churning out attackers, though she can't cheat out bigger stuff. And for a general golgari aggro plan, she's a decent beater that's really hard to destroy, so playing her T4 as a pseudo-questing beast seems reasonable.

Yeah, that's alright.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Hard for reanimation to be really bad

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My Gary deck is shining in the meta, lots of removal to slow down Ugin.

And dropping a Tymaret vs cycling is a concede like 90% of the time

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i have a junky deck for each color for quests and it's really funny how much I get away with in budget mono black devotion quest completion deck vs people actually trying real stuff

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    My Gary deck is shining in the meta, lots of removal to slow down Ugin.

And dropping a Tymaret vs cycling is a concede like 90% of the time

Oh man, I bet a Scavenging Ooze would really mess those decks up real bad too.

This discussion has been closed.