As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Sales engineer: *reports frontend issue*

Several backend/frontend engineers: *pokes around, finds issue, fixes, deploys*

Sales engineer: Still seeing it! plz fix!

Several backend/frontend engineers: *stares at code for an hour*

Sales engineer: nvm, fixed itself when I reloaded the page!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

hissssssss

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

And then you dropped the elephant on them.

Right?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Veevee wrote: »
    This whole discussion is making me remember eighth grade english language arts with a teacher obsessed with shakespeare. We read hamlet, king lear, macbeth, romeo and juliet, midsummer night's dream, taming of the shrew, the tempest, more I can't remember, and several sonnets.

Yes, I was assigned to read all of that for my eighth grade english. I wish I were lying, because it made me hate reading anything that I was required to read in high school. I would read constantly for pleasure in high school, but I am pretty sure I never read more than a couple pages of any assigned books.

Only thing not shakespeare related was when she had her husband, the main meteorologist at a local news station (still is for the same one actually), to talk to us about weather.

Oh god you've just reminded me of 10th grade english. The last two months of the class was dedicated to the class filming our own version of midsummer night's dream (like entirely on our own, we had to figure out recording, costumes, direction, editing, the whole shebang). Completely hands-off. We're pretty sure the teacher was playing TF2 in the empty classroom the whole time.

He was one of my favorite teachers, all in all.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    3clipse wrote: »
    Honestly I think the big thing missing in most high school curricula is existentialism.

I read The Trial, The Plague, The Stranger and their ilk in high school for class and it was formative.

Make kids read books about how life is ultimately meaningless and the universe sure as shit isn't going to hand it to you so you need to create your own meaning. That's an important lesson to learn early.

What would be a good existentialsim book for english lit?

At least during my time at school Kafka was pretty standard reading for German class. I remember The Trial an The Metamorphosis. Then lots of Goethe, Schiller, Lessing of course. I think the only not dead white guy books were The Perfume (alive white guy) and Jew's Beech (dead white woman).

Effi Briest by Fontane was a hard read for a (probably shitty) teenage boy. Flew over my head most likely.

The Judge and his Hangman was probably the one I enjoyed the most and had already read befor it came up in class.

I think my favourite poem for a while was The Panther
    His gaze against the sweeping of the bars
    has grown so weary, it can hold no more.
    To him, there seem to be a thousand bars
    and back behind those thousand bars no world.

The soft the supple step and sturdy pace,
    that in the smallest of all circles turns,
    moves like a dance of strength around a core
    in which a mighty will is standing stunned.

Only at times the pupil’s curtain slides
    up soundlessly — . An image enters then,
    goes through the tensioned stillness of the limbs —
    and in the heart ceases to be.

- English translation by Stanley Appelbaum

honovere on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ...why does this random recruiter think I'm interested in three months as a consultant developer from October to December?

It's three months notice in Sweden.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Can someone please point me to a place to get excel help?

I'm having trouble again

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm supposed to be doing this ww1 lesson today for a different teacher. They are allowed to teach from home for medical reasons. They haven't invited me to the class session yet, it already started and they seem bad at checking emails.

Also I'm here in full uniform and the building heat is on for some reason.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I'm having trouble again
    Here?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just type into google, "how the fuck do I do this excel thing"

It usually works. The profanity lets google know I'm serious.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I just type into google, "how the fuck do I do this excel thing"

It usually works. The profanity lets google know I'm serious.

Yep. Most of the best help is with the Excel/MS bloggers (guy in a cube, sqlbi etc).
    Also, with O365 being more prevalent and accessible, there's now a lot more tools in the toolbox.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I'm having trouble again
    Here?

Ok, thank you

I guess I have two sheets, A: one with an inventory for an inpatient unit, and B: one with inventory for the warehouse what supplies it.

Sheet A came from a report I ran in our inventory management stuff and exported to excel. It has abbreviated item descriptions, but it does have our inventory numbers

Sheet B has inventory numbers and reference numbers and much more detailed item descriptions

An end user ops manager customer is demanding fuller item description

I think there must be a way to get the full description from sheet B into sheet A

But I lack the education and training to do this, even as it is occasionally requested

Sheet B has many, many more items than sheet A

Is there some way to do that?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I feel stupid and guilty now. Yesterday I was like "yay promotion possible," and today I'm calling out of work because dinner last night made me ill.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I am NOT an excel wizard, but I know that if the two files have a fixed location on your network you can do linked spreadsheets, and maybe do a vlookup (this I do not know how to do) to pull in the item descriptions so that your boss can see how product X led to the fall of Anor Londo.

• Options
    Still nothing from this teacher. I don't want to take this stuff off in case I have to put it back on because it is a pain to do so.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    VLookup is definately the way to go on the Excel question.

Assuming you have two spreadsheets that look like:
    90gl6ciqn5mf.png

You want to go into the one with the short descriptions and do:
    =VLOOKUP(Your ID, The Columns to Search in, The Column you Want returned, FALSE)
    mjowfm23cyrk.png

So in my example, A2 is where my item ID is, [Book2]Sheet1$A:$B is where I'm looking for a result, and it's the second column I'm looking for.
    You should end up with this:
    lu0sbgwaxjq6.png

Once you are done, you can highlight the column C and do Copy and then Paste Values to get rid of the formulas and connects to the other spreadsheet.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Lay siege to his fortifications.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I'm having trouble again
    Here?

Ok, thank you

I guess I have two sheets, A: one with an inventory for an inpatient unit, and B: one with inventory for the warehouse what supplies it.

Sheet A came from a report I ran in our inventory management stuff and exported to excel. It has abbreviated item descriptions, but it does have our inventory numbers

Sheet B has inventory numbers and reference numbers and much more detailed item descriptions

An end user ops manager customer is demanding fuller item description

I think there must be a way to get the full description from sheet B into sheet A

But I lack the education and training to do this, even as it is occasionally requested

Sheet B has many, many more items than sheet A

Is there some way to do that?

This should be what you want, I think
    https://www.got-it.ai/solutions/excel-chat/excel-tutorial/vlookup/how-to-pull-values-from-another-worksheet-in-excel

Edit: should have refreshed the page. Already explained.

honovere on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    VLOOKUP is dead

Long live XLOOKUP

(Offer only valid for office 365 users)

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Thanks very much!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I'm supposed to be doing this ww1 lesson today for a different teacher. They are allowed to teach from home for medical reasons. They haven't invited me to the class session yet, it already started and they seem bad at checking emails.

Would they be in costume as well?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Once you start using vlookup more than once in a blue moon you might seriously consider using a DB like access or mysql.

You can import excel spreadsheets into most and then you get the full power of queries and views instead of vlookups that chug spreadsheets to death and take 15 minutes to open.

The best part is you can export that shit right back into a form excel can consume if someone above you needs a report. Hardest part is convincing other people who need to work with the data to use it over excel, but if you're solo riding it ain't no thing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Brainleech wrote: »

Would they be in costume as well?

No, they'd be in their classroom just doing their normal remote teaching stuff and then invite me to join the Microsoft teams class session and then I do my bit from the library/green screen. This teacher had a medical exception to do the remote teaching from home.

We are in to the second period and still no word. I took the web gear and jacket off. I spent the time brightening up the brass shoulder titles and buttons.

Fun fact. At the time I was looking, people aren't allowed to make and sell reproduction shoulder titles in the UK so re-enactors had to get originals. Shoulder titles are little brass names attached to the edge of the shoulder straps and say the name of the regiment the soldier is part of. Mine are from a unit that's named changed in the 1920's so the titles I have are probably actually from the war. Finding matching pairs took effort, especially since they are a "light Infantry" regiment so also have a brass bugle symbol above the title on the shoulder and those have to be reversed on each side so that the mouth of the bugle points forward. That was really hard to find two of.

Just checking, it seems it is okay to make repros of those things. Wonder why. Maybe since the centennial has passed?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Vlookups are great and most of the time a nice vlookup will resolve most of your troubles I find

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Once you start using vlookup more than once in a blue moon you might seriously consider using a DB like access or mysql.

You can import excel spreadsheets into most and then you get the full power of queries and views instead of vlookups that chug spreadsheets to death and take 15 minutes to open.

The best part is you can export that shit right back into a form excel can consume if someone above you needs a report. Hardest part is convincing other people who need to work with the data to use it over excel, but if you're solo riding it ain't no thing.

So lets say every year I was required to inventory my entire building and then after listing everything (in a different format every year that always ends up with dozens and dozens of tabs, rather annoying) in a Google Sheet, would be required at various points throughout the year to give counts of things or gather certain information that mean using a vlookup as a one time thing or going tab by tab to count things manually.

What does the hivemind recommend as the "learn mysql" starter pack that I could grab to start learning a new skill AND make my life easier?

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This is the second time this week that our isp has just been completely dead. I haven't had an issue in literal years before this and literally it's like it exists to stop me from finishing my final client presentation on this freelance gig.

Otoh if not for that I'd not be on the Comcast website to see that this month they're raising my bill by 33% so I guess it's time to do that nonsense song and dance of "we all know you're going to give us whatever the new promo is stop making this a hassle." Though I've never gotten to do that call with the leverage of your system has been literally broken all week

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    expendable wrote: »

So lets say every year I was required to inventory my entire building and then after listing everything (in a different format every year that always ends up with dozens and dozens of tabs, rather annoying) in a Google Sheet, would be required at various points throughout the year to give counts of things or gather certain information that mean using a vlookup as a one time thing or going tab by tab to count things manually.

What does the hivemind recommend as the "learn mysql" starter pack that I could grab to start learning a new skill AND make my life easier?

Essentially you'd create views that handle all the joining of tables unless you want to save the query every time. But the key to making sql work is having consistent table structure, so if it's changing every year you might have a little extra leg work there. If it's just additional columns but the same basic data that becomes a bit easier to massage up into the database.

Code academy and edx has some good stuff for this

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-sql
    https://www.edx.org

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It was so funny that you posted that question while I was running an Excel basics webex for my team with Vlookup, Index...Match and Pivot Tables. I agree though - I'd love to get a bit more familiar with Mysql as I have a project to make my life easier that I was thinking about using Access for, but it would be interesting to see what other options might be out there.

• Options
    Access' strong point, and I really hate this, is that you can make UI for people that are scared of databases and queries.

You can also save queries that work a bit like normal sql views.

It's a great "baby's first database", it's also a great tool that gets a lot of hate too. I'd rather see a dozen access databases than a single 20 gig excel workbook with vlookups. The latter is such a big pain in the ass to actually transition to actual tools once you grow past excel.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The only thing I can remember about assigned books was for catcher in the rye, mainly because I hated it so much and wrote my entire paper about how much it sucked.

I guess somewhere in that rant I had expressed comprehension of what I had read because I'm pretty sure the screed got full marks.

I read Catcher in the Rye of my own volition (while on vacation in Greece, as it happened). Definitely the book I hated the most while reading it.

I absolutely loathe Catcher in the Rye. Maybe I was missing the point of the book, but a story of a self-loathing, self-aggrandizing asshole, who's an asshole to others while trying to scam other people thinking he's more than what he is for the scope of an entire book is just...bleagh. I'm sure there was a point to the story, but actively hating the main narrator and his obsessive use of "phoney" was just too much for me to tolerate.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I have gone through so many different flavors of hating that book, I’m starting to think it might be a work of genius.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    VLOOKUP is dead

Long live XLOOKUP

(Offer only valid for office 365 users)

Amazing, now I can fuck up in the vertical and the horizontal at the same time, just like real life!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    It's a shitty kid who learns that maybe at least one thing isn't shitty in the end.

Idk. I definitely liked catcher in high school but I was struggling to escape some shitty situations then. I'll likely never read it again but I liked the perspective when I needed it

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I have gone through so many different flavors of hating that book, I’m starting to think it might be a work of genius.

Maybe the meaning was the assholes we meet along the way...

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The book, and work in general, I railed against the hardest was in college when we were assigned to read a chapter of James Joyce's "Ulysses"

I cannot put together the words that fully encapsulate the hatred I have for that book

• Options
    I have a copy of Ulysses in the library but solely for the purposes of Banned Book Week and its integral place in book censorship history.

• Options
    I actually rather liked Ulysses. I feel like Joyce is extremely up front with the fact that he derives all his nourishment from the smell of his own farts, it makes it easier to get into it, somehow.

• Options
    Fuck if I’m ever reading it again, though.

• Options
    If I had to pick from Ulysses or Gatsby to read on repeat until my death I'd take Ulysses hands down every fucking time.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

Online learning for it is cheap and plentiful.
    Coursera, Udemy, etc.

This discussion has been closed.