As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 Election] Subtle Does Not Go Here

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    From what I'm reading elsewhere, it's very unlikely for any of WI/MI/PA to be lost, given what we know about untallied early votes?

PA is a bigger risk than WI and MI.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Are we really not looking at flipping the Senate? I'm pretty not wild about another four years of Senate Maj. Leader McConnell.

It's gonna be close. We might be able to eke out a 50-50 with VP or 51-49 split, but it will be begging the moderate Ds to do the right thing a lot rather than dunking all over Rs.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    From what I'm reading elsewhere, it's very unlikely for any of WI/MI/PA to be lost, given what we know about untallied early votes?

WI/MI seem decent but we've got very little usable info to go on with early votes. Given the good performance in MN I'm pretty confident. PA is a big shrug, because so much of the vote is outstanding that it's really hard to meaningfully predict.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Are we really not looking at flipping the Senate? I'm pretty not wild about another four years of Senate Maj. Leader McConnell.

It's gonna be close. We might be able to eke out a 50-50 with VP or 51-49 split, but it will be begging the moderate Ds to do the right thing a lot rather than dunking all over Rs.

We really, really need to take the Senate, because otherwise McConnell is absolutely going to prevent anything from passing ever. And as usual the media will blame the Democrats.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

I imagine Trump's best are on their way to ratfuck like they've never ratfucked before. Lawyers are on their way.

We watched the prequel last election. I hope that headline I read about Biden having 4000 lawers at the ready is true.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

I personally am unsure about Pennsylvania. MI/WI pretty confident we take.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Pennsylvania is terrifying me right now. I do not like seeing Lehigh, Bucks and Chester that red. I'm hoping for a real, real sizable mail in boost.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

Flipping the Senate has always been a longshot and only became within the realm of possibility if you assumed D Senators were all performing as well as Biden v Trump. That's why Biden's been so coy about court packing and all the other sort of stuff that would require winning the Senate.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

We really, really need to take the Senate, because otherwise McConnell is absolutely going to prevent anything from passing ever. And as usual the media will blame the Democrats.

If we are fortunate enough to take the Presidency then at least we may get some level of response to the virus from a disease control perspective (Biden simply ordering the CDC to begin their work and run the response of the states), which is some comfort, the Republicans will scrimp and save pointlessly and the poor will face an immense crisis due to lack of aid, but at least we may lose the active hostility to a response.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Pennsylvania is terrifying me right now. I do not like seeing Lehigh, Bucks and Chester that red. I'm hoping for a real, real sizable mail in boost.

And without PA, we're fucked, I think. I mean, AZ and NV could still go Trump.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Get ready for a like a half billion dollar two month Senate campaign in Georgia.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
  • Options

Nah, we still have a path without PA. PA is nice, but not critical at this point, assuming Nevada holds up as people in state are predicting.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

We can dunk on the Rs when DC is a state, assuming a 51-49 split.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Possible but difficult. We need 3 of:

-Peters hanging on
    -GA special (win in runoff)
    -GA regular (win in runoff)
    -Cunningham picks up... somehow... when the final NC count comes
    -Gideon pulls ahead from ranked choice reallocation

I mean, they're certainly possible, particularly the first one. If that happens and we keep Purdue under 50% then even in the worst case it's 48-50 and the special elections etc, so.. second kick at the can. But uphill battle definitely.

edit: Peters seems likely to win - he's polling around the same level as Biden in the early MI returns so as long as the remaining vote comes out OK I guess he should get a similar result. Nationalization of the races etc.

Tenek on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Some of the senate candidates were running in very difficult circumstances, but a few were just major duds.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I imagine Trump's best are on their way to ratfuck like they've never ratfucked before. Lawyers are on their way.

If it's any consolation it's entirely possible that Trump flat out stole the majority of the funds that were supposed to pay for lawyers for the election because he can't help himself.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    htm wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    Assuming Collins goes

That's not going to happen, I don't think. Collins is substantially outperforming her polling numbers, and two third party candidates are at a combined 6% or so.

Don't they have ranked choice?

They do. If Collins gets knocked below 50 she was getting crushed in the second choice balloting in the polls I saw. Even the ones that were good for her.

According to NYT she’s at 52.3 right now, with Portland at only 2% reporting. So it’s possible that lead drops below 50.

Cantide on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    How is it this close? Is it a case of our polls being fucked again ? It shouldn't be this close. Not even. Fuck pumpkin head

There are over 60 million Nazis in this country is the problem. It's not like Trump made it through the primary and won the general election based on some kind of confusion about who he was.

60 million Nazis supported by one half of our two-party political system that has been ratfucking our democracy since McCarthy and Nixon in order to disenfranchise anyone who isn't a Nazi

It fucking sucks, but even though the Nazis are holding their own (again) know that there's more of us than there are of them. We just have to keep hitting them until they can't get back up again

And then hit them some more because fuck Nazis

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Tenek wrote: »
    Possible but difficult. We need 3 of:

-Cunningham picks up... somehow... when the final NC count comes

This is probably the most likely "surprise", since NC will be counting mail in votes for up to the next week as they are received.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »

We can dunk on the Rs when DC is a state, assuming a 51-49 split.

This relies on Democrats getting the Senate because McConnell will make sure it never happens if republicans still control the chamber. Same deal for PR, if they vote once again to be allowed to be a state.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Nah, we still have a path without PA. PA is nice, but not critical at this point, assuming Nevada holds up as people in state are predicting.

I think it's pretty fucking critical for me to be able to sleep well this week / month / year.

• Options
    htm wrote: »

I think this sort of stuff is probably about as meaningful as internal polling results. I don't take it as a bad sign, but it's like, 0.1x as good a sign as real data because all it signals is "we don't think this is so laughable we're can't keep a straight face saying it."

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Maine is like 54% counted, so probably too soon to predict that senate race.

• Options

They could in much the same sense that NC and Georgia could still go to Biden. You need to sleep, as do I.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    It's all going to come down to the ratfucking, is the thing: how bad can Trump ratfuck MI, WI, and PA over the absentee ballots?

There's no way this election ends without the SC stepping in and handing it to Trump; this is why he got Barrett and Kavanaugh on there; because their quo pro for the quid of getting them on the SC has come due, and Barrett looks like she'll do whatever Trump wants, and Kavanaugh will play fucking Election Law Calvinball to justify it.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    How is it this close? Is it a case of our polls being fucked again ? It shouldn't be this close. Not even. Fuck pumpkin head

There are over 60 million Nazis in this country is the problem. It's not like Trump made it through the primary and won the general election based on some kind of confusion about who he was.

60 million Nazis supported by one half of our two-party political system that has been ratfucking our democracy since McCarthy and Nixon in order to disenfranchise anyone who isn't a Nazi

It fucking sucks, but even though the Nazis are holding their own (again) know that there's more of us than there are of them. We just have to keep hitting them until they can't get back up again

There is always a sizeable portion of Nazis and people who don't stop them in any country. What happened to Germany in the 30s and 40s happened to country that liked to call itself "land of the poets and thinkers" before. It can happen anywhere, anytime.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

That’s a lot of Nazis. :(

• Options
    Milwaukee is still way, way behind on their counting. When Biden's numbers get up to 2016 D margin for the county, that alone wipes out Trump's red mirage in Wisconsin.

• Options
    It's all going to come down to the ratfucking, is the thing: how bad can Trump ratfuck MI, WI, and PA over the absentee ballots?

There's no way this election ends without the SC stepping in and handing it to Trump; this is why he got Barrett and Kavanaugh on there; because their quo pro for the quid of getting them on the SC has come due, and Barrett looks like she'll do whatever Trump wants, and Kavanaugh will play fucking Election Law Calvinball to justify it.

Why are you even posting? Pessimism is one thing, blackpill bullshit means you need to eat a snickers and take a goddamned nap.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

I predict that if the Senate remains Republican, and remains obstructionist, then we're going to see a continuation of the Bush-Obama-Trump escalation of the unilateral executive.

Trump's unconstitutional reapportionment of funds for the wall, not to mention the day-to-day operation of his agencies, shows that the executive can more or less do what it wants and the law be damned (sometimes action is accompanied with thin pretextual justifications; the sophists and the lawyers can take care of that). So long as the house remains D and remains highly partisan, and Biden's program remains popular, they will never in a million years impeach him for even clearly unconstitutional activity. I don't think that's his, or anyone's, first choice, but I think that the pressure to perform is going to push him in that direction if he wins and faces a hostile senate.

If that were to happen, it would be devastating to the ideal of procedural liberal democracy, but it is still a route by which the executive can govern even in the face of a dysfunctional legislature.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Just got home, trying to figure out what's going on.

Decided it is indeed a Porque no los dos situation

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

yeah lookin pretty red over here looooooool jk clark county hasn't reported yet

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Fox is making another aggressive call, this time NE-02 for Biden. If they're correct about Arizona and NE-02, Biden no longer needs PA to win

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    ...Huh Trump is winning.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Frostwood wrote: »
    ...Huh Trump is winning.

Not really; MI, WI and PA haven't touched the early votes yet. Biden needs two of them.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Everyone is telling me to be ok but it looks like we're losing and I'm panicking

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ...Huh Trump is winning.

Nope. He just hasn't lost yet.

Which is not what we wanted but he needs all the uncalled states basically.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Milwaukee projects they can finish counting their absentee ballots at around 4 a.m. Eastern, or 2.5 hours from now. By Wisconsin law, they can't post any of their absentee totals until all of them are done. That's 170k votes, likely to be heavily Biden. That will be the moment Wisconsin flips blue.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ...Huh Trump is winning.

No, Trump has more confirmed electoral votes from areas that have reported their votes already. That's completely unrelated to winning.

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.